Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
My husband and I decided to start a garden this year, not only because my kids have wanted to for a long time, but also to have something to make the backyard look less ghetto. So far we have rosemary, because it grows amazingly here, mint, two big boy tomatos, a strawberry that isn't doing too well, carrots, cow peas, some bush beans, sunflowers, jalapeno, catnip, green onions, concord grapes (both seeded and seedless), and both lemon and avocado trees. I am actually amazed that anything grew at all, much less at the rate they are growing, since I have killed chia pets with a quick glance, but my mother-in-law is the goddamn plant whisperer, and has given us some awesome advice over the phone.

this is three weeks after planting, so far so good.

the grapes, two weeks after moving, they've gone up about a third of the size they were.

I'm not sure if it's the eight years of my husband cutting the grass, and just mulching, rather than picking up the cuttings, or if we just have super soil, but everything seems to just be going well without much other than watering and mulch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Alleric posted:

I would seriously consider getting the mint out of the ground and into a container. Mint is highly invasive. It sends out crazy runners, and it can take over your yard.

I've seen it. I still have nightmares. Smelled drat good on mowing day though.

ah, thanks, I would hate for it to kill off some of the other stuff in there. Does catnip do the same, being from the same family?

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
That would be awesome. Also, we'll be trimming it very often, the reason we even planted it is that we use mint one or two times a week. would that help keep it from spreading in itself?

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
damnit, oh well, guess i'll just have to convince him.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Dielectric posted:

...but if you want a uniform lawn.....

Me having a uniform lawn is a hilarious thought. It's in my backyard, and I live in Texas, home to lovely crab grass and dandelions. If it takes over those, gently caress yes. I would absolutely love that.

Would using some of that plastic liner sunk down a couple of feet help, rather than planting it in a pot? I'd be able to convince my husband to do that easily, since we can cover the liner with mulch. He's afraid of killing it if we move it, and is dead set on it where it is.

I could also easily do that when he's at work during the day. As long as the plant was fine, he really wouldn't give a poo poo.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
is there any way to transport them to another spot without killing them? I have a friend that likes to do welding, so I can probably get him to weld us up a much larger, much nicer looking trellis.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Bigdee4933 posted:

It might be worth the risk. Our vineyard only limes the soil and they grow pretty vigorous. We cut them back to about 30 buds and still have to prune all summer. These plants have 4 foot cordons, but the canes shoot of from that and go even farther.

I talked to my husband about it....we're moving one about 10 feet to the left, so we have one on each side of our porch, and he's going to build a new trellis to go all the way across. Nice way to have a semi-private porch. and if it dies, we'll go buy another one :)

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
well, just checked my garden. I have at least 4 cucumbers, 4 tomatos that I know of, around 12 jalapenos, countless bean pods. My sunflowers are now taller than me, although my husband says they were from the time they were a week old. I've been watering with the fish poop water I clean out of my fishtank regularly, I have a 60gal tank, and why waste all those nutrients?

We almost had a problem when my husband accidentally left the backyard spigot on all night, and flooded the garden, and then we had a wind storm the next day. Almost all of the sunflowers fell over, and the tomato supports were leaning over. Shored them all up with random rocks, and they're doing awesomely since.

ToastFaceKillah fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 11, 2011

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Got my first jalapenos this morning. Going to use them for dinner tonight, and some pickled peppers as well.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

My sunflowers seem to be doing a-okay. They're about 8 ft tall. It's hilarious seeing my husband dwarfed by a plant.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
haha. I'll see if I can actually get a pic of him standing in front of them tomorrow. It's funny seeing my dog look tiny in front of em too, though, so there.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It's raining, again. It rained yesterday, all morning (it says 1/2 inch but it had to be more than that), it's raining now and for the rest of the evening. :(

after never having rain in their entire lives (stupid drought) when we finally get an inch of rain the other day, all my sunflowers fell over. Stupid rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
Jalapenos, you say?