Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
I grew some Cherry Tomatoes in a bucket upside down last summer, it worked really well. I'll probably do it again this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Cakefool posted:

This is madness. What are the advantages? How do you get the plant through the hole? Either the root or green bit are going to be too big, or do you plant them really young? Do you put anything special around the hole to stop pooping the entire ensemble out?

I took a bucket, cut a hole in the bottom, and rested it on 2 chairs, with the hole over the space in the middle. I then took a young tomato plant (no more than a foot tall), put a cut coffee filter around the base of the stem so it would hold in the dirt, and carefully put the stem through the hole so it was hanging upside down, with the root ball still inside the bucket, supporting the plant. I then filled the bucket with soil, covered the bottom, and turned the bucket so the stem was now facing up. I let it grow like that for about a week, and then hung the plant upside down.

Advantages: no snails/slugs/worms on the plant, easy picking since the fruit is at an easy to pick height, no cage required.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

My zuccini is trying to take over, but I am just hacking back the leaves that are going where I don't want them like over my basil.

Also, I spent about 30 minutes picking little green worms off my broccoli and cabbage. I'd looked for the bastards before but could never find them - it took the full light of the sun for me to be able to see the little jerks and squish them (and the eggs). I need to chase down and kill the white moths I see flying around the yard...

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Am I reading this right that California has border checkpoints where they stop and inspect cars entering from other states? Do they have them on only on interstates, or on secondary roads too?

I've only crossed the border on interstate roads. I know on 101 from Oregon they didn't stop us, but they did stop us on I5 from Oregon...

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

My spinach and lettuce are doing fantastic. Sadly, my tomatoes are not really doing much. 1 of them (indigo rose) is turning purple/black, 1 is turning yellow and kind of floppy, and none of them are really growing much. Hopefully we'll get a little more sun in the next few weeks and it warms up a little to help the little guys get their legs under them.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

coyo7e posted:

I will definitely grow the "black" tomatoes again, the Indigo Rose that I got from TSC has looked unhealthy for its whole life, but goddamn if it doesn't produce dozens of the most beautiful, perfectly shaped, identical fruit. I just eat them straight, they're the perfect snack size, like a plum.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/13098/new_products

I liked the indigo rose this year too (grown from seed though). Didn't produce a ton for me though. And small tomatoes ARE a pain in the butt - I've got 5 currant/grape/cherry tomato plants, and the picking required is just unpleasant. Next year I plan on nothing but plum and up in size - although I'm sure I'll get some volunteers of the smaller varieties.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

I know the Bigelow Brook Farm guy (the guy that built the aquaponic geodesic dome) uses expanded shale - I think he sells it too. Not sure how it compares to other media though.

http://www.bigelowbrook.com/Products/Shale/ExpandedShale.aspx

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

WildFoxMedia posted:

I found a guy who bought and cleaned 9 bags of Hydroton before his partner decided they were going with a different setup, be that as it may, I bought the whole lot for $150 which is a little less than half the price retail. I'll be splitting this with my friend. So consider it $75 for roughly 4.5-5 bags which typically retail for $33 each

Nice score!

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Seems like there's enough interest that a separate hydro/aqua-ponics thread might be in order - I know I'd love to check it for updates on how these projects are going.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Pulled my garlic yesterday. Despite doing nearly everything wrong I got a pretty good crop and it took practically no effort.

I pulled mine out too. Noticed for the first time that about half of my garlic is softneck (I thought I only planted hardneck that I harvested last year) - only now do I realize the folly of pulling sprouting garlic out of my compost bin and planting it with the rest of my garlic a few years ago. It was undoubtedly sofneck from the grocery store, and then for the last 2 years the softneck bulbs have probably been the larger bulbs in the harvest, so have been more likely to get selected as seed garlic, so now 3 years later, its half of my garlic harvest.

Comparing the size of the softneck and the hardneck bulbs in the harvest, softneck is definitely a lot bigger in general. But the flavor of the hardneck is spicier and yummier - this fall I think I will plant them separately and space the hardnecks a little farther apart to see if it helps the bulbs get a little bigger. I also need to finish off using LAST year's garlic harvest in the next month (about 10 bulbs left)- time to make some roasted garlic and pesto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What I've read is that you should harvest the scapes on hardnecks as soon as they begin to curl, or alternately once they've curled into their first loop. None of the scapes I've harvested at that point have been woody, although I always chop them pretty finely or else blend them, so maybe I just didn't notice.

Yeah - my hardneck garlic scapes are tender enough to break off with my thumbnail instead of needing a knife - not woody at all, unless you wait too long to harvest them. I didn't even know softneck garlic COULD make a scape - I know mine never have.

The greens (leaves) taste like garlic-y grass. You can use them as garnish or light seasoning on pasta, but I don't think the flavor is good enough to bother - they just go into my compost pile.\

Edit: storage wise, my hardneck garlic from last year is finally starting to sprout in my basement - 11 months is pretty good storage.