Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

844 is up

Remo posted:

I've always thought that part of the reason is due to the brutal weight maintenance regimes they put themselves through. They train like hell but keep restricting their food and water intake, thus their actual muscle mass gain is limited.
Ippo is a natural featherweight he doesn't need to do that, all he needs to do is not get fat which his training menu would more than take care of.

DamnGlitch posted:

comic book.
This really is the answer, well half of it. Ippo is mostly tiny and unassuming for comedic effect and to help the readers identify with him. But at the same time when ever he has his clothes off or does some some show of strength he's absolutely ripped. Just look at weigh-ins and when they arm-wrestled.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They were going to vacate before Miyata canceled his match with Ippo in favor of Randy Boy Jr. Ippo decided to quit boxing but later reconsidered, one of the Coach's conditions for taking Ippo back was that he take on both OPBF and Japanese national boxers.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 2, 2009

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

dag01 posted:

Do you have a chapter range for this? I can barely remember this at all.

Chapter 721 is where Miyata delivers the bad news, 726 is when Ippo comes back to the Coach.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

New Chapter up on Onemanga.

Guess Mashiba hasn't completely worked through his Ippo issues maybe Mashiba will give up the title to get another shot at him, probably not. It looks like the author is pushing Ippo and Kumi's relationship more each chapter.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 7, 2009

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Up to chapter 399 (the anime skips a short arc so you'll recognize the first half of 399 just keep reading) is covered in the New Challenger anime. It's not licensed and probably never will be so no worries. As for finding it in bulk; I wouldn't bother since there's so much of it. You can just read it online at One Manga or MangaFox

Guyver fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 8, 2009

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

This series really isn't very good about using the better characters. Takamura I can understand, since he is probably best in small doses. But instead of old opponents coming back for a rematch there has just been an endless succession of stupid gimmick fighters. Hell, a match with Miyata would be an improvement at this point, and he is a pretty terrible character to begin with.
Most of the boxers Ippo has fought have retired like Ozma who got a spinal injury after his fight with Ippo, moved up a weight class like Vorg or are just national chumps who will never move passed Japan or at the most the OPBF. Sendo is really the only other Japanese feather-weight other than Itagaki and Ippo who seems to be moving forward. It's also not like every non-throwaway fighter Ippo has ever fought didn't have a gimmick.

What I'd like to see is for Mashiba to go down a wieght class, Miyata to go up one and then them and Vorg fight over the WBC Jr. Lightweight championship.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

dag01 posted:

When did Vorg become ranked 1st in the world? Or is that a typo?
They didn't show it but I think it was mentioned that he fought and won against the fourth rank and it has been like two years comic time since he left for America so not entirely impossible.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm kind of wondering if the editors at Kodansha have anything to do with it. Neither Ippo or Takamura have had a bout out side of Japan when both of them especially Takamura should have by now. Putting Ippo aside for a moment, even if he is an OPBF and WBC ranker, Takamura is what a two time WBC champion in successive weight classes he should be fighting all over. Maybe they don't think it'll sell as well if they move passed Japan.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 4, 2009

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Up to chapter 399 (the anime skips a short arc so you'll recognize the first half of 399 just keep reading) is covered in the New Challenger anime.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Everyone seems to forget he's pretty much been fine the last four fights he's had. In fact he completely demolished Karasawa, Take was someone even Date didn't want to fight and even then Ippo was fine, Sispher only lasted four rounds and Gedo only made his face swollen from all the jabs he took from the loosened glove. I'd actually say he hasn't really been beaten bad since the Date match. Most of the time he's okay to walk home.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Chapter 863 is out and it looks likehis gimmick is jumping into the ropes and using the rebound. It's nice it see the coach and Zale meeting face to face again.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

No he was the American fighter's second

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

867 is out but not on Onemanga or MangaFox yet. I think everyone will be pleased 1cm makes it's return. Apparently specials and color pages next week to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's one of the first things Ippo ever did.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

That was the explanation more over it shows his growth as a boxer to recognize the hit for what it was. Don't worry they'll probably have a flashback or Takamura exposition next chapter explaining.

Also I love the little congratulatory thump to the chest Ippo gives himself as he walks away.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The coach's plan is to work their way through all the National champions of the OPBF. So that means 16 more fights till he's done and any Japanese fighters that come his way.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Soth posted:

Chapter 2,137 - The author dies of old age, SORRY BROS.
I would possibly be the angriest 53 year old ever there was if this happened. Maybe Morikawa will get bored and just montage through the rest of them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't think Ippo has ever done the same move but he did do the log hitting.

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/575/05/

Guyver fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 26, 2009

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Don't forget Jason Osma (the black guy Ippo fought) got spinal damage in the match he had with Ippo and had to retire.

edit: Little late with this I guess.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Ippo is the number one contender in the OPBF which would put him around rank eight or nine in the WBC. He has like 15 more matches till he's done with the king of the pacific thing Kamogawa has him doing but he could probably start challenging world rankers anytime.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ORIENTAL AND PACIFIC BOXING FEDERATION RULES AND REGULATIONS posted:

74. FOULS
(a) Hitting below the belt.
(b) Hitting an opponent who is down or rising after being down.
(c) Holding an opponent with one hand and hitting with the other.
(d) Holding or deliberately maintaining a clinch.
(e) Pushing an opponent about the ring or into the ropes, or striking an opponent who is helpless as a result of blows and so supported by the ropes that he does not fall.
(f) Wrestling or roughing an opponent on the ropes.
(g) Butting with the head or the shoulders, or using the knees or elbows.
(h) Hitting with the open glove or with the butt or inside of the hand, the elbow, the wrist, and all backhand blows.
(i) Purposely going down without being hit or for the purpose of avoiding a blow.
(j) Striking deliberately at that part of the body over the kidneys.
(k) The use of the pivot blow or the rabbit punch.
(l) Jabbing the opponent’s eyes with the thumb of the glove.
(m) The use of abusive language in the ring.
(n) Any unsportsmanlike trick or action causing injury to an opponent.

75. FOUL TACTICS
Holding and hitting with the other hand, which is an unfair method of landing a blow and may have decisive effect because the contestant struck is unable to avoid or move with the blow to break its force, is classed as a major foul. Referees must warn offenders that this type of foul will be strictly penalized. The kidney punch, which is an illegal blow landing on that part of the back near the spine and over the kidney, is strictly barred because it may produce permanent injury. The importance of enforcing the rule against this blow is frequently overlooked. It must be enforced. rabbit punch is any blow struck at the back of the neck near the base of the skull, and is barred as A dangerous. A blow landed on the head behind the ear, or on the side of the neck, as the opponent turns his head to avoid it, is not a rabbit punch. Any deliberate attempt to use the rabbit punch shall be penalized. Butting with the top or side of the head is likely to cause cuts over an opponent’s eyebrows and other injuries, affecting the outcome of the contest, and shall not be allowed. A boxer who goes in head down and leans against his opponent with his head while in-fighting is butting. Thumbing” or jabbing of the glove has frequently caused serious injuries to the eyes, and referees must watch for this trick and, if it is deliberately used, penalize it by disqualification. If a contestant is helpless on the ropes the referee shall instantly intervene, declare the helpless boxer “down” and proceed with the count as in the case of a knockdown. In the case of minor fouls, such as hitting or flicking with the open glove, clinching and prolonging the contest after a warning has been given, the referee shall punish persistent disregard of the rule with disqualification. The referee may disqualify a contestant for fouling, with or without warning.
Grabbing the rope is not a foul in the OPBF. Though I guess if the ref wanted he could stop it by calling it an unsportsmanlike trick.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Is TVN the one that translates everything or are they the one that leaves stupid pointless bullshit that adds nothing to the actual translation
Leaves stupid pointless bullshit that adds nothing to the actual translation.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nope, he gots a wife and kid. I think one of the problems is he also runs a boxing gym so he doesn't really have the time most authors have to work on their series.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Just under four years if you start from the date at the zoo (9/1993) before the Sendo rematch. From that to the the Gendo fight 2/1997 then a few more months to this fight.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Boxer - Chapters - Rounds
Oda Yusuke - 4 - 3rds
Fujiwara Yoshio - 2 - 1rds
Jason Ozuma - 5 - 2rds
Kobashi Kenta - 4 - 4rds
Hayami Ryuuichi - 8 - 1rds
Mashiba Ryou - 9 - 3rds
Sendou Takeshi - 9 - 3rds
Okita Keigo - 5 - 1rds
Saeki Takuma - 4 - 4rds
Volg Zangief - 10 - 5rds
Date Eiji - 13 - 5rds
Ponchai Chuwatana - 4 - 2rds
Sendou Takeshi - 17 - 7rds
Sanada Kazuki - 12 - 5rds
Hammer Nao - 7 - 2rds
Yi Yonsu - 1 - 1rds
Shimabukuro Iwao - 13 - 7rds
Sawamura Ryuuhei - 22 - 7rds
Karasawa Takuzou - 10 - 2rds
Take Keiichi - 19 - 6rds
Jimmy Sisphar - 12 - 4rds
Malcolm Gedo - 21 - 8rds
Wally - 12* so far - Ongoing

Pacing jumped off a cliff 300 chapters ago. Though there was never really any set pace for a match.

Edit:* 21 was a typo.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 16, 2010

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Typo. Wally should be 12.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Rocky had something like 60 fights before the first movie.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

His boxers have matches in February and March at Korakuen, I figure he's putting most of his time into that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The author Joji Morikawa owns a boxing gym called JB Sports in tokyo and works as a second.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Never seen any of them box but the site has a profile page for the pro-boxers.

Matches Wins(KOs) Losses Draws

All of them have favorable records. Except for the one A Class guy with seven wins seven losses.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I can see Ippo going for the same thing next chapter and Wali letting him get in only this time Ippo actually throws that short punch that messed up Date and Sendo's ribs.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The 21 was a typo, should have been 12 but that was like six weeks ago so 18-19 now. Sawamura had the longest at 22 but I doubt this fight will end in three chapters. The biggest problem like you said; that it's either boring and/or frustrating.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ippo is like poking him with his fist while Woli is smashing his face in every drat page. How long has Ippo been putting up with this? Why is he not dead? And why does Woli have no emotion while he bounces around the ring? This poo poo is weird.
About 12 to 15 minutes. Guts, well developed neck muscle and it's a comic. He's Woli and the author has lost his poo poo... for the last five years or so.

Seriously for the first 600 chapters the manga is golden.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Jedah posted:

Well, if y'all still care at this point, chapter 885 is translated: http://ippo-online.confusticated.com/
If that Woli comment with the stool is supposed to be foreshadowing, then this is even worse than I imagined. No way those lame body blows have done any real damage, not buying it.
It's not foreshadowing damage from anything Ippo did. I'm guessing he just had a spasm in his leg. Since it was his left* leg maybe his Achilles tendon will rupture and his calf muscle will roll up like one of those snap bracelets.

*Edit:right-handed people tend to spring off their left leg more putting more stress on it

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

To be fair people used to bitch a lot about no one in Ippo looking their weight class. Though I liked the bulkier art style more. It fit the over the top punching matches the early fights had better.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

Vorg quit, came back, and hasn't won a single major fight since.
How do you figure that what with him being ranked first in the WBA's Junior Lightweight class?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Those are the voice actors for Kimura, Takamora, Ippo and Aoki with the author George Morikawa in the middle.

This is one of his boxers, Yuji Yamaguchi.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yes. Yes you did.

The best parts are pretty much the first 300 or so chapters.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

BOrangeFury posted:

There needs to be a golf magna. Then I'd have some more relevant input. "You're not fighting the other players, you just need to fight the COURSE." (cue japaneese spirit fantastic irons high schooler with a -250 drive that can pitch into a bucket or something)
There are about 23 golf manga. Some have even got long running anime I know of two with 47 episode runs and one with 147 episodes.

I don't think you'll ever find any of it subtitled or translated though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

What are you talking about? Outside of Hawk and Anderson the manga has been pretty good about foreign boxers.