Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

no kidding, by the time he'll have a chance to get with that he'll be impotent and his ippo size will go to waste.

By 'that' you mean Miyata? Awkward and disinterested in girls, obsessed with a guy. I know it is supposed to be that stupid endlessly delayed relationship nonsense, but Ippo is what, 24 or so now? He has been seeing Kumi for 5+ years now and they have yet to kiss. That poo poo doesn't work well in Infinite High School Land, much less when time actually flows. If it really mattered to him he would apply some hard work, which is sort of his specialty. Instead he has dedicated those years striving towards being closer to Miyata. Terrible taste in men aside, Ippo should really progress as a character instead of just as a boxer. I don't care if that means coming out, changing his lifestyle or even just getting further with boring old Kumi. Something has to change besides his ranking, even though I know nothing ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I sort of doubt Ippo could handle a love interest who had an actual personality. So in that respect Kumi is an excellent character! It would be strangely hilarious to see him try to handle a tsundere but fail miserably, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Isn't Miyata still in Ippo's weight class, and thus not Mashiba's?

Miyata moved up one, Mashiba moved up two.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PlaceholderPoster posted:

You know what else is long and relentless?

Ippo's dick

I like how when they get annoyed or he's unconscious, they just start playing with his dick. Like it's community property or some poo poo, or the dick is hypnotizing them.

And by like I mean it's kind of creepy, but frequently hilarious. He's going to end up breaking his [not]girlfriend in half.

This series isn't gay at all. Sure, it promotes the idea that friendship and rivalry between men is more important than hetero relationships. Then there is the completely irrelevant fact that the only guy in a real relationship is Aoki, with said relationship existing mostly for comic relief. Oh, and you shouldn't misinterpret Ippo's fanatical devotion to getting closer with Miyata. That is 100% straight blushing while looking at a guy he thinks about more than any other person. Add in the normal obsession every male character that encounters it seems to have with Ippo's giant penis if you like, it doesn't matter. Sometimes straight men just want to fondle another man's genitals. Or have conversations about said genitals out of nowhere. Or suddenly find themselves thinking about horse cocks. So in conclusion, it isn't gay because samurai spirit. gently caress foreigners!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This series really isn't very good about using the better characters. Takamura I can understand, since he is probably best in small doses. But instead of old opponents coming back for a rematch there has just been an endless succession of stupid gimmick fighters. Hell, a match with Miyata would be an improvement at this point, and he is a pretty terrible character to begin with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

When the gently caress is this comic gonna do something right again :|

Yeah, it even hosed up a Takamura fight. I didn't even think that was possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was sort of bullshit. Oh, he is a giant threat in spite of the fact that he didn't really do anything! I'm sure he isn't just another stupid gimmick fighter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ProfessorChaos posted:

Why do I somehow expect this new guy to do like Vega from Street Fighter and walljump from the corner behind Ippo? :doh:

He is acrobatic, and rolling is out due to the rules for downs. So yeah, you are probably right about that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Sendo is really a great character. He doesn't have any bullshit gimmicks and is just an all around cool dude.

If Ippo doesn't semi-easily win this match, I'm going to be upset. I know they've built him up with this Vorg stuff, but Ippo really shouldn't be struggling this much with his crazy ~30(or whatever) to 1 win/loss ratio.

If this guy does a walljump it's just gonna be like rubbing salt in the wound.

Ippo always struggles and gets beaten to a pulp. That's just his thing, even though the series acknowledges that this would normally cut short his career and that he should really stop doing it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kave posted:

Chapter 865

And the fight begins, my prediction...Ippo will dominate to start then woli will pull out his special move to even things up for the rest of the fight, Ippo will then pull out the win based on experience and japanese spirit

In other words, Mowgli will be yet another opponent who could easily score a win via points but will instead decide to try to knock out the freakish unstoppable juggernaut. Also, Miyata again? drat, Ippo really needs to get laid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Fixed.

I didn't specify what gender he should pursue. His obsession with Miyata is unhealthy and rather creepy. Frankly, any sort of real relationship would be an improvement at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like that for once Ippo isn't getting beaten to a pulp right from the start. It will still happen when the gimmick is used, but that was still the best fight in a long while. But then, the last two fights were concentration camp victim Miyata fighting in the dumbest way he could think of and then Takemura somehow being even worse. So there is nowhere to go but up!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo's expression on the last page was pretty sweet. This is by far the worst of the gimmick boxers, but for once Ippo isn't going to take that poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, this match is really goddamn racist even by HnI standards. Woli is a noble savage who competes against civilized training and glorious nipponese samurai spirit with his innate physical ability attained through living in a jungle and eating lots of bananas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He has yet to use the ultimate weapon, which Ippo has no defense against. Miyata's sexy pose!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think Vorg was the last foreigner Ippo fought who was just a very good boxer and didn't have some stupid gimmick. That was what, back in the rookie tournament? Takemura steamrolled a few orthodox foreign boxers and Miyata struggled against a couple of strong but relatively normal guys, so why does Ippo only get lame joke fights?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
When Jimmy fought Miyata he was just a very skilled boxer. But by the time he fought Ippo he was suffering from brain damage and dementia, making him yet another gimmick fighter. I guess it isn't so much that Ippo fights foreign gimmick boxers now as that all of his fights for quite some time have been bullshit to some degree. In comparison, Miyata has become a bullshit gimmick fighter so naturally he fights relatively normal opponents.

I want Ippo to fight people who are just plain good at boxing again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

I dunno. That dude early on who Ippo fought before Hayami was pretty painful. When I read the manga, I always skip that fight.

Always.

The black guy? That was a pretty good fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

No, that was Ozma. The fella I'm talking about was after Ozma, and he won fights by point victories. He god-moded Ippo the whole fight, got greedy thinking he could get a KO. He goes nuts on Ippo, who lucks out and lands a last-second KO. It was just after the initial beach training session :v:

Oh, right. The result of that was pretty dumb, but it was nice to have a fight where a K.O. wasn't a foregone conclusion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Martinez was always touted as the ultimate veteran with talent, brains and experience on his side. Woli is an idiot savant who learned how to box by chasing monkeys.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If his gloves touch the floor, is that a foul of some sort?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm trying to think of a worse fight than this, but I'm coming up short. Maybe Takamura's last match where he became incompetent for no reason?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

That match before Hayami where he almost lost to the dude who won matches by points. Pretty hard to beat that one :psyduck: At least he redeemed himself by kicking Hayami's teeth in within one round.

Nah, that guy actually tried to win by boxing. He had a good plan and studied how to beat Ippo. He just didn't try for a K.O., so everyone treated him as some sort of subhuman freak. Also, Ippo was still a novice at that point so there was some leeway with the bullshit. Woli just uses his magic foreigner monkey bullshit powers to do a bunch of physically impossible crap without even breathing hard.

Edit: Let me reemphasize that last point- Woli has better physical conditioning than Ippo for no discernable reason, without any specific stamina training other than chasing monkeys. I guess being a ~genius~ means he gets to skip the training arcs everyone else has to go through and still get better results without hard work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 25, 2009

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, as terrible as this fight is it still beats Ippo's retarded relationship problems. Kumi is such an obvious beard it would be funny if it weren't so sad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So it has really been more than 300 chapters since they hinted at a new dempsey roll with no payoff? Still, after reading that chapter maybe Ippo will manage it on his own somehow during this match and then start challenging the world. Ahahahaha, I'm just funnin' ya.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure it has been going so long and successfully that they just let him do what he wants.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing that Ippo's next opponent will be some sort of 12 year old ~genius~. Yes, that is below the minimum age for a pro license. It won't matter because he is just such an elite genius. He may also have psychic powers. We are already trapped in physically impossible bullshit, so why not psychic boxing out of nowhere?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing Ippo's next opponent will be an effeminate midget who specializes in Kirk-style two-fisted hammer blows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sisfa was suffering from delusions brought on by brain trauma. Ippo snapped him out of it by inflicting even more brain trauma. I find the idea of a boxer who was good to begin with going nuts and becoming even more dangerous in some ways rather interesting. Of course it still made no real sense, but that's shounen manga. See, even though he had his gimmick he was still a good boxer without being total bullshit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Martinez would still beat them, because Ippo would be unable to stop staring at Miyata adoringly and Miyata would get weirded out and get off his game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

878: Woli wins, goes on a world tour of boxing, returning home a year later to find that Ippo has become a lumber contractor and 'friend of science', has razed the rain forest and sold all of Woli's monkey friends off for laboratory testing.

Then as Woli sheds a single tear for what has become of his home, Ippo sucker punches him in the face, driving his nose into his brain and leaving him drooling in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Okay, that's a bit much. But I would like to see Ippo destroy him already.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hadn't read that Sendo story before, so thanks for linking it. In other news, Woli remains a gen~ius, because no shounen series ever recognizes the idea of an idiot savant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm just hoping that one of those chapters will end with Ippo punching Woli so drat hard that it satisfies me for two weeks. C'mon, two page spread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A one panel punch, followed by a chapter of reaction shots to the effect that Ippo hit him so hard that it went back in time and slugged his pregnant mother in the gut.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, Miyata is popular for some reason so who knows?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It doesn't go to poo poo as such. Rather, most of the last third or so of the manga has been brutally mediocre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

L.E. Cheetah posted:

If it was handled like that we never would have gotten the Brian Hawk fight, which was probably the best in the series next to Ippo/Sendo

Of course, there was also Takamura's last fight where he almost lost because he randomly forgot how to box for no particular reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If by pralines you mean more dick, then yeah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe if he takes enough brain damage Ippo will finally stop being a cowardly dipshit and actually do something about his relationship with Kumi. Or Miyata. Either one works, really. However, the only people who have had actual relationships in the entire manga were Aoki and Gen. That's just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo has never kissed a girl, made a friend unrelated to boxing, worked anywhere other than the family business, or been in a fight. He might not have ever even had a drink. It is no wonder he is so dedicated to boxing; he never had anything else and is unwilling to leave his comfort zone to try new things.