Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I took a good year and a half break from Ippo because it seemed like it had slowed to a crawl, and what's happened since? I'm caught up now, and in all that time, the Randy Boy fight barely made it in. And now Ippo is fighting another god drat gimmick fighter. It's like something out of Punch-Out, I keep waiting for the fighter who will fight with a boxing glove attached to a string that he'll swing around before every down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I get the feeling that if push came to shove the author could ramp it back up and it'd be fine. It's just gotten so sidetracked. There's virtually no reason for Ippo to not have relinquished his title belt at this point.

The story is almost 900 chapters long and it feels like it could or should be 3/4 that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the plus side, catching up with Ippo made me pine for the better days, so I reread Ippo vs. Sendo. God what a fight.

I will say that I liked the latest Mashiba fight. If the story were to get sidetracked again I don't think I'd mind as much if it focused on Mashiba rather than Miyata.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Sawamura fight hosed him up pretty badly, mostly on his own part for stopping the Dempsey Roll midway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's rather insulting that the author is trying to seriously insinuate that this fight is as big as Ippo's title bout with Sendo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Guyver posted:

Seriously for the first 600 chapters the manga is golden.
I sometimes wonder if I should worry about One Piece. Reading it now you'd think that it's at such a high level of quality and has been for a long time that you wouldn't have to worry about such things. Yet it still has yet to surpass the period of time that Ippo was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Personally I don't think the series has ever truly been the same after Ippo's second title match. Think about the title defenses he had directly afterwards. A boxer who was a DOCTOR who could analyze his injuries mid-fight. A fisherman who took you "under the sea." Certainly there were patches of solid fights inbetween, such as Takamura vs. Hawk, or Kimura vs. Mashiba, but it just never reached the peak of Ippo vs. Sendou.