Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rappaport posted:

Yes, but knowing this without spoilers or having met Juiblex before, good luck. Also your low level character has to have some manner of curing the disease he gives when he engulfs you. :ohdear:

Yea, early on if you encounter Juiblex praying after you kill him is the ticket. That said I've died more then I can count to a nasty bones file in gnome town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I would like to play 3.4.3 on my El Capitan macbook; is this possible?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Ogmius815 posted:

I would like to play 3.4.3 on my El Capitan macbook; is this possible?

ssh nethack@alt.org

Not really sure about locally with el capitans new system protection stuff tho

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Anyone here doing a clan thing for junethack this year?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
ill join if you make one :shrug:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

fits posted:

ill join if you make one :shrug:

Alright, sent you an invite on the site to Goonhack; or at least, sent one to some guy called fits, hopefully that's you.

Anyone else want in, lemme know.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Sure, I'm always willing to be part of the humbling defeat of whatever goon clan is in junethack.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

SubG posted:

Sure, I'm always willing to be part of the humbling defeat of whatever goon clan is in junethack.

Sent. And yeah, we're not exactly the swarms of DCSS goons in tourneys, but it's still a laugh.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
dcss is for nerds please someone steal the webtiles-style sites and make a nethack version

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

fits posted:

dcss is for nerds please someone steal the webtiles-style sites and make a nethack version

Oh, god yes. Alternatively, someone show the devteam the notion of a trunk version with daily updates.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

In Slash'Em Extended iron bar traps can spawn in Sokoban, where it is impossible to pass through iron bars even if you poly into a form which would otherwise be able to. gently caress Slash'Em Extended.

Playing the variants for Junethack reminds me of why I don't usually play the variants.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

In Slash'Em Extended iron bar traps can spawn in Sokoban, where it is impossible to pass through iron bars even if you poly into a form which would otherwise be able to. gently caress Slash'Em Extended.

Playing the variants for Junethack reminds me of why I don't usually play the variants.

Is slash'em extended the one with like three classes for each letter of the alphabet? I remember reading about some of the "nasty" traps and just went "nope". Traps that don't reveal themselves or give a message when you trigger them, giving you a horrible debuff for a long duration (often one that fucks with your interface in some way) that can't be cured except via a very rare tool? Sure that sounds like loads of fun.

I mean I like regular SLASH'EM; at least when it kicks you in the balls it does it according to the actual rules of the game rather than a random "gently caress you".

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 30, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the slashem extended race/class list page on the nethackwiki alone is :psyduck:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is slash'em extended the one with like three classes for each letter of the alphabet?
That's kinda crazy. The fact that the inventory system does pretty much the same thing is another kind of crazy. You can have more than 52 items in open inventory, but all the excess items get assigned to #, which means they become impossible to interact with without a lot of elaborate horseshit.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Slash'em extended is a horrorshow, basically.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

fits posted:

the slashem extended race/class list page on the nethackwiki alone is :psyduck:

The fact that it has transvestite class should be enough to tell you to stay away from it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

The fact that it has transvestite class should be enough to tell you to stay away from it.

That can't be real.

Oh. Huh. It is real. https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Transvestite

Well I'm sure it's nuanced and well considered and not as bad as it looks on it's face.

quote:

Some of their features may seem offensive to some players, but Amy Bluescreenofdeath (creator of Slash'EM Extended) explicitly states it's not meant to offend anyone; rather, the Transvestite role is just meant to be unique. Slash'EM Extended is just a video game; NHINRL. Also, the role's inclusion in the game does not represent any things that real-life transvestites do; instead, it's based on Amy's own bizarre fantasies.

Oh sure. Bizzare fantasies. Like?

quote:

The Transvestite's starting pet is either a little girl or a little boy, and they start with a saddle... Players may choose to start riding the pet immediately

Oh.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SubG posted:

That's straight up dumb. The whole point of nethack is that there are multiple ways to bypass/solve/survive any encounter. Polymorphing a trap should be 100% valid.

xrunner posted:

That can't be real.

Oh. Huh. It is real. https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Transvestite

Well I'm sure it's nuanced and well considered and not as bad as it looks on it's face.

Oh sure. Bizzare fantasies. Like?

Oh.

2edgy4me

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 30, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's straight up dumb. The whole point of nethack is that there are multiple ways to bypass/solve/survive any encounter. Polymorphing a trap should be 100% valid.
Yeah, spawning traps in Sokoban at all is pretty dumb because of the way the levels work---player is stuck taking a very specific path, even minor variations can break the level---but because of the way iron bars in Sokoban work it's just straight up a (delayed) game over trap. I had potions of acid, which normally destroy iron bars...but not in Sokoban. I had both poly and poly control (although I hadn't identified it until I got stuck---ended up IDing a ring of poly control via enlightenment)...can't poly the bars, and can't pass the bass in an incorporeal form (I poly'd into an air elemental). So I just put everything in a bag, #named my t-shirt gently caress SLASHEM EXTENDED and starved to death. Because in Slash'Em Extended the Sokoban levels can leave bones. Although I guess nobody could reach the grave anyway.

The Slash'Em Extended level generator will also generate random rivers of water, lava, and so on which can make the levels literally impassable. Like one time I got a level split by a multi-square-wide river of water...on Dlvl 2 or 3, before the branch to the mines.

A couple years back I think it was SLASHTHEM that was in Junethack and it had a bug where an entire class of monsters would cause an immediate crash whenever they were line-of-sight with the player. And also wishing and genocide caused the game to immediately crash. I think that's the dumbest loving variant I've played, but Slash'Em Extended tries its damnedest to compete.

A lot of the variants are dumb because they seem like they're designed for people who really want to be playing Angband (or one of its variants) instead of nethack. And that's, cool, whatever. But holy poo poo there are some really dumb variants out there.

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
YAAP, first 3.6 Vanilla Nethack ascension for me
(no idea what NAO is doing with dumplogs nowadays, so here's a giant timg from the ttyrec)

I came in spoiled - no regrets there as the changes from 3.4.3 to 3.6 probably would've killed me (and let me know if I need to spoler tag any of this? maybe not since it was released in 2015). Played an Elf Wizard to start with the cloak of magic resistance because I didn't want to bother with stumbling into polymorph traps. Started with a book of identify and some garbage, but came across a 4-charge polymorph wand early on after engrave-testing. Two zaps later, the starting cat turned into a Xan which was eventually leashed and annoyed enemies to death until the final floor of Sokoban. Before that, I went to the mines in hope of finding a magic lamp. This was a rough endeavor, prayer was used to replenish hit points frequently. Eventually, I made it there to discover that the altar was cross-aligned and no magic lamps were to be had. The food store had holy water and I think that there was a magic marker in a tool shop.

For some reason, I decided to proceed downward in the hope that I could score the luckstone. No such luck, I think the level below minetown had an air elemental which engulfed me and probably would've killed me. My only realistic avenue of escape was shooting the wand of polymorph out of it. This yielded a master lich. Ugh. I think I had an uncursed scroll of genocide at this point, but decided to retreat upstairs with my pet Xan instead since I didn't have enough offense/defense/items to delve deeper into the mines.

I made my way to Sokoban, I think I had found another magic marker and a ring of protection (which I think bumped my MC level from 1 to 2?). On floor 2, I was in the narrow corridor to the upstairs and had leocrottas approach from both sides. They didn't seem to be too interested in my Xan or housecat, but my pets didn't want to fight back either. If they were able to get into melee I would've been a dead wizard. After a standstill, I decided to use the scroll of genocide to take care of that threat. No trouble occurred until the final floor, a humanoid in the zoo room generated with a wand of lightning. This knocked me to low health, killed my Xan and himself on the rebound, and blew up my wand of polymorph. Prayer fixed another low health situation and the amulet of reflection was obtained.

With two magic markers, I enhanced my defense but didn't have much in the way of offense since I didn't have enchant weapon discovered, yet. A few levels down, I came across an unoccupied coaligned altar. At this point, I had create monster, so it didn't take long for me to take advantage of this. Sacrificing got me Magicbane and enough luck bumped up so that I could have a good chance (79% at luck 8-10?) of writing charging and enchant weapon scrolls. This worked out, and I made a blessed scroll of genocide for liches for good measure in order to obtain the luckstone at Mines' End.

As usual, I can never get to level 14 when I hit the quest level for the first time so I pushed downward to the castle. On the way I came across a polymorph trap which was used with charm monster at this point to obtain a Titan pet. Then, it was temporarily left behind so I could dispatch Medusa. On her level, I came across a cloak of protection. Having this for MC3, I reverse genocided Gray Dragons until I obtained scales. This game would've been a fantastic candidate for a wishless conduct, but there were two concerns - doing something like that would've been an act of hubris for a first 3.6 ascension and I didn't have any sack/oilskin sack/bag of holding to speak of. The game forced my hand when I quaffed a smoky potion of speed after putting on levitation boots to enter the castle back door. A djinni wish was used on a bag of holding and remaining wishes were eventually used on 3 magic markers and a ring of conflict.

As usual, nothing notable happened from going back to doing the quest to the bottom of Gehennom. The Titan ate a chameleon corpse and changed to a mastodon which I left behind. I decided to avoid polypiling and used magic markers to obtain useful spellbooks like magic mapping. Also, I got crowned for the finger of death spellbook and sacrificed until my ability to pray was regained. That was never needed, however. Some time was saved when a nalfeshnee irritated the Wizard of Yendor in a way where he teleported out of his Wizard Tower to the periphery of the map where I currently was. One finger of death later, I obtained the final ritual artifact and make my way to the vibrating square. This is where I wished for the ring of conflict.

The end game was uneventful until the plane of water. I became impatient because it never seemed like my bubble was getting anywhere close to the exit portal, so I put on an amulet of magical breathing after killing the Wizard of Yendor again and hopped in the water. This blanked my potions and scrolls in my bag of holding, but I still had marker charges (and 2-3 more wishing wand charges, if it came down to that) for when I hopped back onto another bubble. Eventually, I made it to the Astral Plane where it took me an embarrasing amount of turns to realize to replace the amulet of magical breathing with the amulet of reflection. Despite conflict and -35 AC, the extra healing spell was quite welcome at times. Slowly, I pushed past Famine, and then Pestilence to find the altar of Anhur.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Girl Drink Drunk posted:

YAAP, first 3.6 Vanilla Nethack ascension for me

Nice, well done! When I did planes in 3.6 the first time, I found myself grossly overprepared due to fear of changes. Did you find them much different aside from slow water?

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
They didn't seem too different in difficulty. The entry and exit points for the Plane of Air were quite favorable this game, I only needed to eliminate three air elementals on the way to the portal. Maybe that would've been more difficult had that not been the case. I appreciated the changes to Air and Fire though - they made the levels feel more dynamic if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I've been playing NH on and off for years, and I got the urge to start playing again, so I've been giving 3.6 on nao a try. I really got into the curses-style interface when playing NH4, and I'm trying to configure the curses interface on nao for PuTTY (using CP437 character set). I can't get it working, and google isn't helping much. Has anyone ever done this? Here's my .nethackrc with the options I tried commented out. BTW, if anyone has some comments or suggestions for the rest of my config, let me have them.

• Locked thread