Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Welcome to NetHack.

http://www.nethack.org

Previous thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818537

Your task is simple: Retrieve the Amulet of Yendor from the Dungeons of Doom, deliver it to your chosen god on the Astral plane and ascend to demigod-hood. Unfortunately thousands of deadly monsters stand between you and your goal.

NetHack is a rogue-like, which means that it features randomly generated dungeons and permanent death. It's difficult, really difficult, new players usually send dozens of characters to spectacular deaths before they get the hang of things, but with patience and a healthy dose of spoilers anyone can ascend.

One of the fun things about NetHack is how almost everything can be used to help your survive. That seemingly useless potion of paralysis? Bash someone over the head with it and kill them while they can't move. A looking glass? Point it at a monster to scare them with their own reflection. A scroll of destroy armor? Read it to rid yourself of cursed equipment. A large dog is about to rip to to shreds? Feed it some food to tame him and now you've got an ally to fight along side you. A polymorph trap? Push your pet into it and you may end up with a tame black dragon. There are ways out of almost any situation in NetHack, it's up to you to think of them.

Since NetHack dates back to the 80's it doesn't have much in the way of graphics. The old school way is to play in a text terminal...

Here we see our hero (the @) in the mazes of Gehennom just after he's crushed Demogorgon with Mjollnir. The graphics aren't quite up to next-gen standards but it tells you everything you need to know at a glance and it works very well.

If ASCII isn't your cup of tea, you can always try tiles.

A bit prettier than the ASCII version and you also get mosuse support which is nice for those of you who have computers made after 1987. Goon The Kins also made his own tileset so you can play NetHack with that SA touch.

And finally, if you have some sort of brain disease you can get THREE DEE NETHACK on Steam for a low low price.

How to play

There's two ways to play NetHack.

One way is to head to http://www.nethack.org (or to Vulture's Eye if that's your thing), download the binaries for your OS and go for it.

The second, and in my opinion the most fun way, is to play online on a public server. Telnet to nethack.alt.org (you might want to use PuTTY instead of the default windows telnet client), set up an account and start playing. NAO lets you watch other people play in real time and even send them scrolls of mail. Also you may run into bones files from other players, levels that other players have died on complete with all their loot and the things that killed them. They even record all your games so the memory of that time you dissolved in molten lava will be preserved for all time. The only downside is that you can't use tiles or Vulture's Eye on NAO, only the ASCII version is supported.

NetHack forks

Since NetHack is open source, a number of fine people have taken it upon themselves to modify it extensively and morph it into a whole new game.

Slash'EM (Public server) - Based of NetHack 3.3.1, Slash'Em adds a whole bunch of crazy stuff to the game. Hundreds of new monsters, hundreds of new items, dozens of new weapons ranging from lightsabers to rocket launchers and even a few new character classes and races for you to play with. It also has a redesigned dungeon layout featuring a longer main dungeon, shorter Gehennom and lots more special levels. In the past elements of Slash-em have ended up being incorporated into the main NetHack branch, for example, Slash'em created the Monk class that you now see in NetHack.

SporkHack (Official public server) (Also on nethack.alt.org)- A beefed up version of NetHack 3.4.3 designed for people who find the endgame of NetHack too easy. A redesigned Gehennom and some modified gameplay elements that remove easy options in the endgame are the biggest changes. Well designed but certainly not for the faint of heart, a winning NetHack character would likely be chewed up and spat out by Spork.

Let's Play Threads

For those of you prefer to watch things rather than do things, there's a bunch of NetHack LP's out there. Watch them to see what the game's all about and see some of the tricks that people use to stay alive in the dungeons of doom.

* Salvor_Hardin's video LP (archived)
* Lobster Maneuver's screenshot LP (archived)
* Salvor_Hardin's screenshot LP
* Sartak's ongoing terrible video LP

NetHack on IRC

#nethack on irc.freenode.net is the official channel. It also features a friendly robot named Rodney who'll answer all your queries and then shame you by announcing all your deaths on NAO to the 200+ other people in the room.

Feel free to ask for advice and share your stories in here, there's a lot of good players around and we're always happy to help. The best parts of these threads are always the YAFAP's (Yet Another First Ascension Posts) and the YASD's (Yet Another Stupid Deaths) so start playing and entertain us with your epic adventures!

Contra Duck fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
I just started the nerdiest thing ever (TAEB blog). It'll have a pretty graph soon! (promise kept)

Filburt Shellbach fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 27, 2009

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
A link in the OP is mislabeled. Sartak's LP ended quite some time ago.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Argon_Sloth posted:

A link in the OP is mislabeled. Sartak's LP ended quite some time ago.

Fixed :)

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Maybe I should use this thread as an opportunity to actually get further than Minetown...

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Contra Duck posted:

Fixed :)

Much better.

All the recent Nethack thread activity, has got me wanting to start playing again. But I just don't time. Maybe I'll make time when the next tournament starts.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Edit: I am an illiterate human being too.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2009

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

It's right there in the OP:

Contra Duck posted:

Goon The Kins also made his own tileset (updated July 3) so you can play NetHack with that SA touch. (Alternate link if that one doesn't work for you)

I suppose I should give NetHack a try again. What's it like playing it over telnet? I've always played locally, but NetHack on a public server sounds cool.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Mewcenary posted:

Maybe I should use this thread as an opportunity to actually get further than Minetown...
Likewise. Sokoban was the furtherest I got, playing a valkyrie wielding excalibur (for the first time as well). The potion and scroll randomisation always kicks my rear end hard - I think I ended up pushing a rock the wrong way and just gave up then and there.

Then again, I made it through the doom roguelike (with the aid of a nuke) and finally beat spelunky after about 600-700 deaths. Maybe I should give nethack another shot soon.

[edit]I guess it didn't help that I almost always played an archaeologist or a rogue - but archaeologists and throwing knives are just so awesome.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Xaander posted:

Does anyone have a link to the SA tileset? That thing was really cool and I pretty much cannot play without it because I am a human being.

The default tileset is much, much better, unless you really need to have everything in the game look like a dumb forums emoticon.

Ideally, though, you'll play with ASCII - tiles & junk like Vulture's Eye reduce the amount of dungeon you can see at once and also make you think you're playing something like Diablo that isn't out to kill you the instant you make a mistake.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Contra Duck, I'm very disappointed that the OP does not contain a screenshot of a stoning-resistant monster PC eating a cockatrice corpse (and choking to death on it).

Bushibytes
Sep 3, 2006
Porcorate Potamocherus
I started a game again on the university server the other day and I am at the farthest I've ever been, but I can't help but feel like I'm a little screwed:

Yeah, that's two wizards and the high priest right there, duking it out thanks to my ring, but I feel pretty helpless now that the mindflayers sucked away my knowledge of recharge scrolls for my wand of death.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Bushibytes posted:

I started a game again on the university server the other day and I am at the farthest I've ever been, but I can't help but feel like I'm a little screwed:

Yeah, that's two wizards and the high priest right there, duking it out thanks to my ring, but I feel pretty helpless now that the mindflayers sucked away my knowledge of recharge scrolls for my wand of death.

It's not nice but you should be able to get out alive. If you've got wands of teleport you can zap some of those monsters away, and it should be easy to kill the wizards since they'll be more concerned with killing the high priest and taking the amulet. Just don't get in melee range with the high priest because with only 84HP he could easily kill you in a single round of combat.

Also get unburdened argh!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I haven't played Nethack in forever, mostly because my NAO account has a valk ready to wake the wizard, but I just plain don't feel like doing Gehennom without magic mapping. I've been thinking of killing her off and leaving a nice bones file for someone.

Is Sartak going to run another tournament this year? He skipped it last year. :(

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

There will be a June tournament, but I don't think it'll be run by me.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Bushibytes posted:

Since this is your first ascension, I'm assuming you're not going for genocideless conduct. Why not genocide h and L?

or rather, why didn't you?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

20 genocides on my first ascension and i'm not ashamed.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I'm standing by my assertion that Rangers are the easiest class by far to ascend :)

Bushibytes
Sep 3, 2006
Porcorate Potamocherus

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Since this is your first ascension, I'm assuming you're not going for genocideless conduct. Why not genocide h and L?

or rather, why didn't you?

I got L, but in retrospect, I should have taken out h as well. I'm rather casual and inexperienced (I just play a bit inbetween compiles). I think I got too cocky with the fact that I could take them at range with my bow, and next thing you know one of them is sucking on my brainjuice and my magic marker is too dry for genocide.

I probably can escape this situation fairly easily, go back up to lick my wounds and prepare better.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Is there any way to make NetHack not look like total rear end while playing in a KDE "terminal?"

Sir Cottonsocks
Jul 8, 2007
I've just been getting into NetHack and I'm really enjoying it so far. The only thing is why do you have to make a new thread? It's so drat annoying to have to update my bookmarks every loving goddamn time...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sartak posted:

There will be a June tournament, but I don't think it'll be run by me.

Well there better at least be an SA team then!

frameset posted:

20 genocides on my first ascension and i'm not ashamed.

If memory serves, this is a great way to get swamped by Archons on the Plane of Fire.

edit: Actually, I was thinking in terms of the letters, but if you just mean twenty monsters that's not too many. h, L, and ; are common genocides and that's fifteen or so right there.

Pacra posted:

I'm standing by my assertion that Rangers are the easiest class by far to ascend :)

You're crazy, once you know how to survive the early game wizards are practically invincible. Wizards for life!

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 28, 2009

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Every loving year you do this to me Contra Duck :mad:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Third Murderer posted:

You're crazy, once you know how to survive the early game wizards are practically invincible. Wizards for life!

Not to mention being able to write unknown spellbooks with almost 100% accuracy. Oh, here comes a minotaur *fingered*. Woah, a mindflayer, *fingered*.

I just got a message that gave me a hilarious mental image. I'm (still) playing a monk in SLASH'EM (pure cheese, yeah, but hey, he's the farthest I've gotten so far... he managed to get screwed over by Vecna), and I just found out sandwiches aren't vegetarian:

"You feel guilty... The sandwich tastes delicious!"

Imagining a vegetarian ascetic monk admitting to enjoy a meat sandwich and feeling guilty about it is just too much.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Contra Duck I have some stuff if you want to throw them on the OP. For those wanting to try out something different in terms of graphics, there's a 3d Japanese port of Network that includes first person perspective like a Wizardry game.

http://www.sbrain.org/nethack3d/index.html

Haven't tried it since it's only for MacOSX but let us know how it is. It's apparently in English too.

There is another OpenGL port developed by a guy in South Africa that goes by the name of noegnud. Not Wizardry like but it still looks cool. Note of caution though, the guy is an rear end in a top hat who doesn't allow the game to be installed in the US but.. hey. :)

Anyways here is the link: http://clivecrous.lighthouseapp.com/projects/11277/downloads and google image searching will show you how it looks.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Pacra posted:

What's your strategy? Between trying to ascend rangers and rogues, I've grown to loathe ranged weapon combat.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

What's your strategy? Between trying to ascend rangers and rogues, I've grown to loathe ranged weapon combat.

code:
AUTOPICKUP_EXCEPTION="<*,*" 
Just be sure to name every thing you intend on using "," and you won't have to worry about losing ammo again.

Except of course, when arrows/darts disappear or they land in water/lava.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

I just wrote an article blog post about how to exploit NetHack's random number generator.

I wrote this up because a bunch of people have asked me how I pulled off WowDeath (who kicked wands of wishing to death three times in one day on NAO) and how Adeon is able to get hundreds of wishes from a single fountain.

Basically I'm trying to force the DevTeam to release a new version of NetHack. :twisted:

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
code:
VicViper, chaotic female human Wizard

---------
                                   |.......|
            -----                  |.......|                  -----
             ...|                  |..._...|                  |...
    4---------..--   ----          |.......|            -    --..---------
     |.......|1..-- --          |  |.......|  |          -- --$%.|.......|
     |.....%@|4.45---    I      |. ----.---- .|           ---%...|%......|
     |@..@@).-a.aAA$      %$    |.............|       %   %.%...)%..._...|
     |.....A@|....---           ---.........---   $  %    ---.%..|.......|
    4|.......|...-- --            -----|-----       %/%  -- --...|.......|
     ---------..--    ---|---      -   %   --     ---.----   --..---------
             ...|      |   -------     $    - ------% %|      |....
            -----      |         |    %  $   |     % % |      ------
                       -------   --    %%   --   -------
                             |   %--  !%  $--    |
                             ---   ----%----   ---
                               |       )       |
                                ----------------

VicViper the Enchantress  St:13 Dx:16 Co:16 In:18 Wi:15 Ch:9  Chaotic S:393830
Astral Plane $:0  HP:27(120) Pw:32(184) AC:-5 Xp:16/375043 T:5538

Your inventory
  Amulets
  i - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
  k - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
  Weapons
  W - the uncursed rustproof +0 Magicbane (weapon in hand)
  Armor
  Y - an uncursed thoroughly burnt +0 pair of leather gloves (being worn)
  p - an uncursed very burnt +0 pair of speed boots (being worn)
  o - a blessed greased fireproof +2 robe (being worn)
  t - a blessed greased +2 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
  Comestibles
  y - 6 uncursed C-rations
  z - an uncursed K-ration
  Spellbooks
  L - the uncursed Book of the Dead
  Rings
  A - a blessed ring of conflict (on left hand)
  e - an uncursed ring of free action (on right hand)
  n - a blessed ring of levitation
  Wands
  c - an uncursed wand of death (1:0)
  R - an uncursed wand of digging (0:5)
  H - a blessed wand of digging (0:2)
  w - an uncursed wand of lightning (0:5)
  B - an uncursed wand of secret door detection (0:9)
  F - an uncursed wand of teleportation (1:0)
  Tools
  a - a blessed greased bag of holding named Bag McLargehuge
  l - the uncursed Bell of Opening (0:2)
  s - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (no candles attached)
  f - an uncursed magic marker (1:2)
  d - an uncursed magic marker (0:33)
  U - an uncursed magic marker named NEW (1:2)
  O - the blessed Master Key of Thievery
  P - an uncursed oil lamp (lit)
  K - an uncursed skeleton key
  C - an uncursed towel
  I - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
  Gems
  N - an uncursed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding named Bag McLargehuge:
  340 gold pieces
  6 uncursed food rations
  an uncursed scroll of magic mapping
  an uncursed scroll of scare monster
  an uncursed scroll of destroy armor
  an uncursed scroll of create monster
  a blessed spellbook of light
  3 potions of holy water
  an uncursed potion of water
  an uncursed ring of levitation
  an uncursed ring of fire resistance
  an uncursed wand of create monster (0:11)
  an uncursed magic marker (1:6)

Final attributes
  You were the Glory of Arioch
  You were piously aligned
  Your alignment was  37
  You were fire resistant
  You were cold resistant
  You were sleep resistant
  You were shock resistant
  You were poison resistant
  You were magic-protected
  You saw invisible
  You were telepathic
  You were warned
  You were invisible to others
  You caused conflict
  You could teleport
  You had teleport control
  You were very fast
  You had reflection
  You had free action
  Your life would have been saved
  You were extremely lucky (13)
  You had extra luck
  Bad luck did not time out for you
  Good luck did not time out for you
  You survived 

Spells known in the end
      Name               Level    Category     Fail
  a - force bolt             1    attack         0%
  b - magic missile          2    attack         0%
  c - cause fear             3    enchantment    0%
  d - sleep                  1    enchantment    0%
  e - create monster         2    clerical       0%
  f - finger of death        7    attack         0%
  g - magic mapping          5    divination     0%
  h - light                  1    divination     0%

Vanquished creatures
  Baalzebub
  Orcus
  Juiblex
  The Wizard of Yendor (twice)
  Death
  Pestilence (twice)
  Famine
  an arch-lich
  a high priest (4 created)
  3 master liches
  a glass golem (2 created)
  a balrog (2 created)
  2 red dragons (8 created)
  a white dragon (6 created)
  an orange dragon (6 created)
  2 black dragons (3 created)
  a blue dragon (7 created)
  a green dragon (7 created)
  5 minotaurs (14 created)
  The Dark One
  a baluchitherium (6 created)
  12 Angels (26 created)
  2 demiliches (8 created)
  Vlad the Impaler
  a stone golem (10 created)
  a master mind flayer (5 created)
  a sandestin (6 created)
  3 hell hounds (10 created)
  a trapper (6 created)
  a guardian naga
  a disenchanter (6 created)
  4 vampire lords (21 created)
  20 aligned priests (42 created)
  3 captains (5 created)
  5 liches (6 created)
  a nurse (2 created)
  a nalfeshnee (4 created)
  an Aleax (4 created)
  2 frost giants (3 created)
  an ettin (5 created)
  21 vampires (36 created)
  6 lieutenants (11 created)
  9 ghosts (39 created)
  a cavewoman
  3 monks
  a mind flayer (2 created)
  a zruty (4 created)
  a fire giant (9 created)
  an ice troll (3 created)
  an Elvenking (6 created)
  a bone devil (9 created)
  2 large mimics (12 created)
  a fire vortex (7 created)
  a couatl (4 created)
  3 stalkers (10 created)
  5 air elementals (15 created)
  a fire elemental (21 created)
  an earth elemental (33 created)
  3 water elementals (26 created)
  a hill giant (3 created)
  a giant mummy (2 created)
  2 black nagas (5 created)
  10 xorns (17 created)
  7 giant zombies (18 created)
  2 elf-lords (10 created)
  11 sergeants (15 created)
  2 barbed devils (12 created)
  2 vrocks (11 created)
  a salamander (8 created)
  a warg (7 created)
  a winter wolf (2 created)
  a small mimic (15 created)
  a warhorse (5 created)
  2 steam vortices (10 created)
  2 quantum mechanics (12 created)
  2 trolls (6 created)
  a wood golem (3 created)
  2 erinyes (3 created)
  a djinni (3 created)
  a gelatinous cube (13 created)
  a shocking sphere (5 created)
  a tiger (5 created)
  7 tengu (8 created)
  an ochre jelly (5 created)
  a leocrotta (2 created)
  2 energy vortices (8 created)
  a mountain centaur (3 created)
  an elf mummy (2 created)
  a human mummy (5 created)
  a pit viper (9 created)
  a python (4 created)
  30 wraiths (41 created)
  12 ettin zombies (16 created)
  a leather golem (3 created)
  38 soldiers (57 created)
  a horned devil (8 created)
  a succubus
  an incubus (2 created)
  8 giant beetles (13 created)
  2 cockatrices (10 created)
  2 winter wolf cubs
  2 panthers
  a mumak
  3 giant spiders (17 created)
  a scorpion (4 created)
  38 vampire bats (64 created)
  a gnome king (3 created)
  3 orc mummies (4 created)
  a dwarf mummy
  a brown pudding (4 created)
  3 rust monsters (7 created)
  a chickatrice (2 created)
  a gray unicorn (4 created)
  2 dust vortices (4 created)
  10 ravens (15 created)
  14 human zombies (18 created)
  a Woodland-elf (3 created)
  5 soldier ants (8 created)
  a fire ant (3 created)
  an imp
  a lemure (7 created)
  2 quasits (5 created)
  a water nymph (2 created)
  10 Uruk-hai (15 created)
  an orc shaman
  a rock piercer (2 created)
  2 fog clouds (9 created)
  3 yellow lights (4 created)
  10 gnome lords (21 created)
  3 gnomish wizards (5 created)
  a kobold mummy
  a barrow wight (3 created)
  8 elf zombies (13 created)
  10 ghouls (15 created)
  a paper golem
  10 giant ants
  2 floating eyes (3 created)
  a kitten
  9 dwarves (22 created)
  4 homunculi (8 created)
  2 hill orcs
  a centipede
  4 giant bats (11 created)
  11 orc zombies (12 created)
  18 dwarf zombies (19 created)
  6 killer bees (75 created)
  23 acid blobs (26 created)
  2 coyotes (3 created)
  a gas spore (2 created)
  4 hobbits (6 created)
  a large kobold (2 created)
  3 giant rats
  a red mold (2 created)
  36 gnomes (80 created)
  6 garter snakes
  10 gnome zombies (12 created)
  3 geckos
  2 jackals
  a fox
  a kobold
  7 bats (8 created)
  a lichen (3 created)
  11 kobold zombies (12 created)
  7 newts (8 created)
  657 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
  master liches
  arch-liches
  erinyes (extinct)
  2 species genocided.
 1 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
  You genocided 2 types of monsters
  You never polymorphed an object
  You never changed form
  You used 18 wishes

Your skills at the end
  Fighting Skills
    (none)
  Weapon Skills
    dagger             [Skilled]
    quarterstaff       [Expert]
  Spellcasting Skills
    attack spells      [Expert]
    divination spells  [Skilled]
    enchantment spells [Basic]

Latest messages
  The high priest of Anhur looks better.
  There is an altar to Anhur (chaotic) here.
  # 
  heh: unknown extended command.
  What do you want to use or apply? [acdflswBCFHIKN-PRU or ?*] 
  Sorry, I don't know how to use that.
  What do you want to use or apply? [acdflswBCFHIKN-PRU or ?*] 
  # 
  Ha-HA!: unknown extended command.
  # 
  What do you want to sacrifice? [S or ?*] 
  Never mind.
  There is an altar to Anhur (chaotic) here.
  # 
  What do you want to sacrifice? [S or ?*] 
  You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Anhur...
  An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...
  The voice of Anhur thunders: "Congratulations, mortal!"
  "In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
  You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...

Goodbye VicViper the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 865310 points,
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Master Key of Thievery (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
       1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 340 pieces of gold, after 5538 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 16 with a maximum of 120 hit points when you ascended.

No  Points     Name                                                   Hp [max]
  1 2147483647  ctaboir-Wiz-Gno-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood.
  2 2147483647  Zadir-Pri-Hum-Fem-Neu died on the Astral Plane. 
                Killed by overexertion.                              4140 [4140]
  3 2147483647  Adeon-Wiz-Gno-Mal-Neu ascended to demigod-hood.     12320 [464076]

1999    4314473  tapin-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law ascended to demigod-hood.      345 [369]
 2000    4314440  dpk-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood.     84 [201]
*       865310  VicViper-Wiz-Hum-Fem-Cha ascended to                           
                demigoddess-hood.                                      27 [120]
Now I'll never have to play wizard ever again.

A note on the wishes: You can get a bunch of wishes and stuff, but the real tough thing is getting enough supplies to do things with. Having enough scrolls to blank and enough potions to dilute really becomes an issue when you're skipping over 95% of the game. Don't let that large number trick you, as this game was a fight to the very end, where my high priest wouldn't get off the goddamn altar!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah, but where'd all the wishes come from? One every 300 turns seems like a lot.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

Contra Duck posted:

Yeah, but where'd all the wishes come from? One every 300 turns seems like a lot.

Wishing wand on Dlvl4, castle wand, and wishing wand on the VS level (of all places). Most of the wishes were burned on stuff to speed through (markers to write scrolls and cursed gain level to get out).

I honestly can't explain how come my games go all freaky like that and just drop wishing wands out like candy. It's very strange, but I'm not about to look that gift horse in the mouth.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Did you abuse the random number generator again?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Can you sacrifice corpses on the high altars or are they only to be used for the amulet?

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000
code:
NetHack - This wand of wishing is delicious!

Social Animal posted:

Can you sacrifice corpses on the high altars or are they only to be used for the amulet?
You can if you want to, not sure why you would except for bragging rights though. Your own altar, mind you; trying to convert a high alter, well, you'll regret it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Now this has gotten me back into the game. Rolled a new character on NAO - a barbarian, if I remember my pantheons and classtitles correctly.

I think I'll do this game without price-IDing.

...there's a coaligned altar on DL2.

I'm doomed.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Anyone want to share any particularly nice config files?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

I once killed the High Priest of Lugh and sacrificed him on his own altar on account of Lugh being a punk. I then sacrificed a white unicorn on Birgit's altar to attempt to convert at the last moment, but it didn't go as planned. She still got the amulet though, mostly cause her wide-angle disintegration beam precluded me from making it to the chaotic altar in one piece with a helm of opposite alignment.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mewcenary posted:

Anyone want to share any particularly nice config files?

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/ToxicFrog/ToxicFrog.nh343rc

There's mine. Notable features: autopickup amulets, rings, wands, potions, scrolls, books, gold; colours unidentified items white, uncursed items grey, cursed items red (or orange if equipped), blessed items light blue. Bags of holding, wands of cancellation and bags of tricks get to be a really obnoxious black on yellow to hopefully reduce occurrences of BoH vaporization.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
A big 'gently caress you' to whoever left a bones file full of nalfenshees wandering around on dlvl12. There was at least two ghosts when I got there and there's one more now. If anyone comes across it, just dig down unless you have disintegration resistance. Which I didn't.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

A big 'gently caress you' to whoever left a bones file full of nalfenshees wandering around on dlvl12. There was at least two ghosts when I got there and there's one more now. If anyone comes across it, just dig down unless you have disintegration resistance. Which I didn't.

:smith:

Wait what do you mean by disintegration resistance? Did they summon something?

• Locked thread