Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Announcement on nethack.org yesterday, they're definitely working on the next version, but no firm date.

In similar news, George RR Martin announces he's definitely working on the next book, but no firm date.

Take either one with a pinch of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

GRRM is on the devteam.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ferroque posted:

GRRM is on the devteam.

Explains why most of my characters end up dead in terrible ways...

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

For anyone interested, after browsing rgrn, the three new devteam members are Paxed, who maintains NAO, Lorimer, who created Sporkhack, and Coppro, one of the devs on Nethack4.

So people who've actively kept Nethack going the last decade. That's promising, at least.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Explains why most of my characters end up dead in terrible ways...

Yesterday I had a Zen Samurai doing quite well. Took on the quest. Found a lifesaving amulet, had sleep and attack wands, figured I was set enough to take on the nemesis.

Son of a bitch bisected me twice in the same turn. I got a "while helpless" death from it, even!
http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Z/ZenDeuce/dumplog/1428095281.nh343.txt

Now I know who to blame.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 6, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

For anyone interested, after browsing rgrn, the three new devteam members are Paxed, who maintains NAO, Lorimer, who created Sporkhack, and Coppro, one of the devs on Nethack4.

So people who've actively kept Nethack going the last decade. That's promising, at least.

That actually owns, i haven't played either but sporkhack and nethack4 are the two forks I've considered playing and they both make smart changes to the lovely parts of the game instead of being dumb poo poo like SLASHEM

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
I keep getting boxed in by storekeepers even though I've paid for my merchandise. Is there a command to make them move?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfechu posted:

This is actually amazing news.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

I keep getting boxed in by storekeepers even though I've paid for my merchandise. Is there a command to make them move?

You likely still owe them money somehow. Push $. May have destroyed a scare monster scroll by picking it up.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Junethack is a thing again this year

Servers and variants:
pre:
nethack.alt.org NAO 	        NetHack 3.4.3-NAO
un.nethack.nu 	EUN 	        UnNetHack 5.3.0
grunthack.org 	GHO 	        GruntHack 0.2.0
nethack4.org 	NH4 	        NetHack4 4.3.0
nethack.xd.cm 	NXC_NAO 	NetHack 3.4.3-NAO
nethack.xd.cm 	NXC_DNH 	dNetHack 3.9.1
nethack.xd.cm 	NXC_NH4K 	NetHack Fourk 4.3.0.1
nethack.xd.cm 	NXC_SLTH 	SlashTHEM 0.7.0
nethack.xd.cm 	NXC_SHC 	SporkHack 0.6.3
nethack.xd.cm 	NXC_N13 	NetHack 1.3d 
Are we going to have a goon clan again this year?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Considering the lack of response, I'm guessing no, but if people wake up and want to do it, I'll throw up hat into the ring! I'm JAssassin on Junethank.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
I did make a GoonsInJune clan, but I havent had time to play much yet. My one deep run so far a trap door dropped my poorly armoured barb down below medusa next to a golden naga :saddowns:

e: sent you an invite

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
GoonsInJune is a bad clan that inevitably brings shame on itself and its members. I eagerly await my invite.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
assuming you are subg I invited you earlier

current run: ran into orc wizard bones on oracle and he had....vorpal blade? :psyduck:

then two levels later an arc which looks like he had a pet storm giant (because i ran into a peaceful, named one) who dies to a giant bat

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

first :toot:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I just ascended my fastest game of nethack at 22158 turns. In real time it took 4 years, 3 months, and 20+ days. I realized pretty early that I had enough wishes to do a relatively fast run. Finished the castle around 13k. Used 14 wishes total, with the last few being for candles, a marker, and a helm of OA. I couldn't find the vibrating square for a couple years. Over the past few days I finally wrapped up the wizard's tower and ascension run. It's not a 20k speed run, but it's my first under 25k.

I can't imagine how y'all do runs in under a month :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Man that's a nice looking 'hack. Which version is it?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

mfcrocker posted:

Man that's a nice looking 'hack. Which version is it?

.its the nethack4 varient, which is mostly pretty close to vanilla with an interface overhaul and various little quality of life changes. One of the nethack4 devs was one of the guys who recently got added to the official devteam

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
So I just did my first genocideless ascension, my seventh ascension overall. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. This was my first ascension as a Ranger. I didn't encounter many mind flayers, but when I did, it was easy shooting them down with poison arrows from a distance. With magic resistance, Liches are more annoying than anything else.

Next up is to ascend a Samurai. For some reason, I have the worst luck with that role.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah genoless isn't as scary as it sounds once you have a little but of experience. h is slow(ish) and can be killed from range, L dies to the same stair-dancing tactics as any major demon, and both respect elbereth. Even if things go horribly wrong and you get mindflayed, unless you're a 6 int orc barb it's more of an annoyance than an actual threat.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
My first genoless ascension resulted in liches chainsummoning and practically filling the sanctum level. That was also a game where I didn't have conflict. :haw:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Just learned: canceling out of writing in the dust with your finger takes no time, but cancelling out of writing in the dust with an empty wand takes a turn.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

What's the nethack4 equivalent of m movement in vanilla? That is, asking a peaceful monster to get the hell out of the way.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

SubG posted:

Just learned: canceling out of writing in the dust with your finger takes no time, but cancelling out of writing in the dust with an empty wand takes a turn.

It costs a charge too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Contra Duck posted:

It costs a charge too.
I knew it costs a charge if it's a non-empty wand. I meant when you write in the dust with an empty wand. Or rather start to then change you mind when you realise you're writing in the dust with it instead of engraving with it.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah it's there to prevent a possible exploit where you could wrest the last charge from a wand without it taking any time. It's actually still slightly bugged though, if you're levitating and try to engrave with an empty wand it attempts to wrest the last charge, and if it fails it gives a message about not being able to reach the floor and stops without it taking any time. It's handy to know if you're in a terrible situation and you desperately need that wish from a wand of wishing (1:0) to survive.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

SubG posted:

What's the nethack4 equivalent of m movement in vanilla? That is, asking a peaceful monster to get the hell out of the way.

If nh4 has one I'd like to know it :argh:

m in nh4 is "moveonly" which lets you move into dangerous squares (like ones with water if you're not levitating/moving while blind so youd can;t accidently stone yourself)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JAssassin posted:

My first genoless ascension resulted in liches chainsummoning and practically filling the sanctum level. That was also a game where I didn't have conflict. :haw:

This was my experience for most of my best SLASH'EM run so far. Just summon nasties everywhere. I eventually died well past the point when I was ready to ascend because I missed a successful cockatrice hissing attack in all the combat text spam and petrified.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Man, unnethack is full of serious rear end in a top hat DM bullshit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

So...in grunthack getting attacked doesn't interrupt waiting.

Seriously, the all the variants seem to be encyclopaedias of terrible design decisions.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress me, on my 3rd or 4th game of Nethack4 I've picked up a coaligned altar and a wand of wishing on DL4. I heartily look forward to my Gnome with a Wand of Death :dance:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That's not really a concern when your second wish should be SDSM, which will make you immune to rays. Deadly poison will probably kill you.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

..btt posted:

That's not really a concern when your second wish should be SDSM, which will make you immune to rays. Deadly poison will probably kill you.

I'm a wizard with a magic marker to start so it was my first :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Sporkhack!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

..btt posted:

In before eel + fatfinger

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

choking to death, imo

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Far more benign, death by fountain :smith:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Far more benign, death by fountain :smith:

rip

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

JawnV6 posted:

I can't imagine how y'all do runs in under a month :)

I just ascended my first wizard in 5 days real time, less than a couple weeks after saying this :v:

Still lacking monk, knight, tourist, and ranger wins. Should I join the goon team for the rest of the month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
The goon clan is good times, and a good excuse to get another run in or two before the end of the month. Flex those nethack muscles

• Locked thread