Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I think he knows they work on pets generally, and is more worried about his grey dragon resisting it, what with being a grey dragon and all. I do not know whether this would happen. I'd guess not since you can zap speed monster on yourself with MR, but that might be a special case.

If you have the wand just try it, not like there's much use for speed monster besides zapping yourself once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you have a magic whistle then lurkers above/trappers are actually amazing pets, they instakill everything that isn't huge (if you feed them some wraiths to level them up they can even instakill Rodney). Try to keep a scroll of taming/spell of charm monster handy for the next time you see a t.

Purple worms do the same thing, but I like t's better because they don't move unless you tell them to, whereas purple worms wander around and will inevitably eat a chameleon/sandestin before long. With a t it will stay put while you kill trivial stuff yourself and can whistle it in to instakill nontrivial stuff (like shopkeepers and priests!)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

So I had 3 hp, no items, early on, already prayed because of a bugbear, nothing really to lose, I E on the floor for the hell of it.
The plains centaur turns to flee. The plains centaur hits! The plains centaur kicks!--more--

Even when Elbereth works it doesn't work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hearse owns, it did a lot to improve the game, especially the default setting where you won't actually ever see your own bones files.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Krinkle posted:

So I had 3 hp, no items, early on, already prayed because of a bugbear, nothing really to lose, I E on the floor for the hell of it.
The plains centaur turns to flee. The plains centaur hits! The plains centaur kicks!--more--

Even when Elbereth works it doesn't work.
A dust E-word only lasts one scare, which makes it pretty worthless against creatures faster than you are. Which are really the ones you're most worried about.

I'm not too crazy about a lot of the new 3.6.0 changes, but it's really made Magicbane an even more ridiculously overpowered early game artifact. Which isn't exactly a change I think the game really needed.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
I already had one run lost due to ridiculous unluckiness. A master mind flayer got beside me, I buned Elbereth with a wand, but because it had so many attacks the first two flees eroded it and then it sucked my brains out in one turn because I never noticed how low my int was. :argh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SubG posted:

A dust E-word only lasts one scare, which makes it pretty worthless against creatures faster than you are. Which are really the ones you're most worried about.

I'm not too crazy about a lot of the new 3.6.0 changes, but it's really made Magicbane an even more ridiculously overpowered early game artifact. Which isn't exactly a change I think the game really needed.

Not so much--engraved E also lasts very few scares, often enough only one. Magicbane isn't going to save your rear end from getting surrounded by team a, and may not save your rear end from a single warhorse.

Magicbane was indirectly buffed for a different reason: Now that the Cloak of Magic Resistance is no longer a standard part of every ascension kit, for classes that have non-melee ways of dealing damage wielding Magicbane for the MR is highly desirable, and in lategame (as always) the curse resistance is a very nice throw-in. Though if you're lawful or neutral, you can wish for an artifact that will grant you slotless MR, the Magic Mirror of Merlin or the Platinum Yendorian Express Card. You have to actually wear the Eye of the Aethiopica/wield the Sceptre of Might to get MR from them now.

The Eyes of the Overworld are a legit thing to wish for, for some neutral characters, now. You have to wear them to get MR, but they take up a slot used by nothing else except blindfolds/towels and wearing them is desirable because astral vision is pretty nifty.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 16, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Eyes of the Overworld are a legit thing to wish for, for some neutral characters, now. You have to wear them to get MR, but they take up a slot used by nothing else except blindfolds/towels and wearing them is desirable because astral vision is pretty nifty.

Just did this on my crom loving barbarian. Tossed the ESP amulet for life saving. Feeling pretty okay except I don't have a weapon besides cleaver.

I have probably exactly one wish left and maybe a genocide scroll or two in my magic marker.
AC -34 and I have 7 more in donations waiting when I get around to looting ludios.

I haven't seen a single grey unicorn so my luck should be probably neutralish. Should I go to sokoban and reverse genocide them? A master mind flayer just licked the grease off my helm and holy poo poo I want to genocide all dwarf kind to be safe. I could wish for another magic marker and do both.
Somewhere twenty floors above me crom gave me a fire brand, and I have a silver saber. Good enough for gehennom? Or stick with cleaver because I already genocided the liches and can deal with random rodney curses.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not so much--engraved E also lasts very few scares, often enough only one. Magicbane isn't going to save your rear end from getting surrounded by team a, and may not save your rear end from a single warhorse.
Right, but dust Es are now effectively worthless, and what you just said also applies to burned Es, which consume charges. So in 3.6.0 the only remotely viable form of the E word is the engraved version, which makes athames more valuable than they used to be.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I haven't seen a single grey unicorn so my luck should be probably neutralish. Should I go to sokoban and reverse genocide them? A master mind flayer just licked the grease off my helm and holy poo poo I want to genocide all dwarf kind to be safe. I could wish for another magic marker and do both.

If you can get a wand of create monster or a cursed scroll of same, you can sacfest for your luck.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Krinkle posted:

Just did this on my crom loving barbarian. Tossed the ESP amulet for life saving. Feeling pretty okay except I don't have a weapon besides cleaver.

I have probably exactly one wish left and maybe a genocide scroll or two in my magic marker.
AC -34 and I have 7 more in donations waiting when I get around to looting ludios.

Somewhere twenty floors above me crom gave me a fire brand, and I have a silver saber. Good enough for gehennom? Or stick with cleaver because I already genocided the liches and can deal with random rodney curses.

Even without ludios you're good enough to ascend right now. If you don't have it yet, maybe you could wish for conflict, otherwise a wish for a marker is always good so you can write scare monsters and charging scrolls as required. Ludios and firebrand+saber will improve your dude further but I always felt like spending time getting those final buffs increased the odds of me fatfingering and dying stupidly so I prefer to go directly for the amulet at this point.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I walked into a disenchanter and brought my silver saber from +6 to +5 and my last scroll brought it up again to +7 but I don't want that to happen no more so I'm going to genocide R for the hell of it.
I'm genociding a lot. I wonder what it's like to win without genociding. I remember reading about some guy who had like, all the challenges. Atheist, foodless, pacifist. All of them at once. Years ago.

I just realized, instead of running back to the upstairs where the demon lord is recovering and risking him going up to the previous level, I could wait on his downstairs and take him down there and start the turn standing on the upstairs. And I took baazelbub directly into jubilex's swamp. How many turns of deathly ill do you get? I got two blessed unicorns "nothing happens" in a row and almost poo poo out my heart.

This helm of brilliance is worthless, I can't even cast force bolt, but whatever. What else was I going to wear? I've got the eyes of the overworld on who cares about telepathy..
What is that scroll that you use while confused to find the traps in the astral plane? Gold or food detection? I can never remember.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Krinkle posted:

This helm of brilliance is worthless, I can't even cast force bolt, but whatever. What else was I going to wear? I've got the eyes of the overworld on who cares about telepathy..

Dwarvish iron, orcish iron or elven leather. Magical helmets and gloves are all pretty crap so in those slots it's perfectly fine to save a wish and use a non-magical item.

Also the pro-est strat for dealing with disenchanters is to just wield your unicorn horn.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I'm genociding a lot. I wonder what it's like to win without genociding.

It used to be absolutely trivial, you just had to be a little bit aware around certain enemies. The large majority of my wins were genoless. Now Elbereth isn't worth a drat things might be trickier. And by "trickier" I mean "way more tedious and irritating".

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I pulled the trigger on rodney despite the fact I didn't have any scrolls of gold detection. I tried to write one thinking I must have poly'ed them but nope. Didn't know it. I tried polypiling but I couldn't get a new scroll and ran outta wands.

Got pretty nervous because when rodney woke up he split twice and I couldn't beat him to death. Me, a mighty barbarian, dual wielding flame brand and a silver saber, can't even give this guy the ol' Thulsa Doom. Fuckin' wizards. Burnt first wand of death on him just to get back my dang old heart of ahriman.

Floor 42 seemed like it wanted me to solve orcustown about 20 times with how many times I got pulled back. Rodney peeked in to see what was up and I finished off wand 1 on him. Hastily wrote a scroll of charging and filled it up.

I brute forced the astral planes. With no gold detection I just walked all over the caverns of earth confirming with the freenode irc channel whether the portal had to be in one of the open areas. They thought so but weren't sure in the new patch and it turns out that Nope! in 3.6.0 it can be in a dumb closet hole in the wall. Thank loving god I was wearing the eyes of the overworld so I could find them all. Used about 12 wands of digging here.
Air was just going all the way right, and walking it up and down like corn on the cob. Found it not too difficultly.

Fire was hell. I spent 20k goddamn turns on fire. Rodney respawned six times. I tried drunk walking around every area that wasn't poisoned. Then I tried doing it blind through the poison. Then I gave up and walked on literally every tile hitting S a few times when I hit a boulder thinking it would say "you see a trap under the boulder" but nope. I got jumped by archon after archon in this hell plane. I gave up and went and shattered every boulder until I found it under the 3rd one. Dumb idiot fire plane. Boo to this plane.

Water was a goddamn walk in the park. Just taking baby steps and searching like crazy, water elementals didn't even bother me. Everything with gills was already genocided. Just bubble walked into any air pockets without a corpse in it and eventually found my way out under a food ration.

Got sufficiently far from my starting angel and popped on that ring of conflict. Sorry pal you work it out with the other angels. I edge over and get a shot of that door and horseman #1 looks like famine. I eat a couple blessed K rations for safety and burn my last death charge on him (I assume? Last few wands weren't IDed and I didn't feel lucky). Cleared out that hallway with a teleport wand. Tip toed past the angels having a drunken brawl with each other, took it off so I wouldn't piss off the peaceful high priestess, and by crom I found it. The correct altar on my first try.

My father told me that fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky, but crom was my god, and he lives in the earth. I am not 100% sure this is the real crom but I didn't want to look like an rear end in a top hat so I handed up the amulet to the god in the sky anyway. I hope my dad doesn't give me that look like you done hosed up. I don't see him around but it was real crowded I might have missed him.
http://puu.sh/mCF8M/0661988a7d.png
I killed 11 rodneys and 18 goddamn archons. I survived six touch of deaths. I did not engrave E. I did it. I beat 3.6.0

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Krinkle posted:

http://puu.sh/mCF8M/0661988a7d.png
I killed 11 rodneys and 18 goddamn archons. I survived six touch of deaths. I did not engrave E. I did it. I beat 3.6.0

:golfclap:

Go team @!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Krinkle posted:

I brute forced the astral planes. With no gold detection

:stonk:

I'm not sure I want to play this game anymore.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Does wielding/wearing the amulet still give you the "you're getting warmer/colder" messages or did they change that?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I wore it and if it ever told me I was warmer or colder I never saw it. All I saw was 20k turns of "the archon coughs! the archon coughs! the arcon coughs! the archon coughs! <more>"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Add me to the list of people who never use Elbereth. I don't have an NAO account any more but I ascended every class and did every challenge except foodless (and extinctionist; is that a challenge?), mostly local on versions between 3.3.3.1j and 3.4.3. Just always felt like if you could spare the turns to do it you could do something else to get out of trouble.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Krinkle posted:

I wore it and if it ever told me I was warmer or colder I never saw it. All I saw was 20k turns of "the archon coughs! the archon coughs! the arcon coughs! the archon coughs! <more>"

FYI as of 3.6.0 you can get rid of horribly spammy messages with the MSGTYPE= parameter in your rc, or the "message types" setting in game. This is what mine currently looks like; most of these were added while I was in Astral, which has so many goddamn useless messages. I don't get any messages when something misses me, or when things cast spells that do nothing. The Staff of Aesculapius one makes it so you get no message at all when you hit things, but that's better then having to go through the -MORE- prompt every time. You can adjust these in-game, but you have to edit them in your rc to make them permanent.

Congrats on the ascension!

code:
## delayed instadeaths. always prompt for -more-
MSGTYPE=stop "You are slowing down."
MSGTYPE=stop "You find it hard to breathe."
MSGTYPE=stop "You are turning a little .*"
## Hide unneccesary superfluous messages.
MSGTYPE=hide "Something is engraved here on the headstone\."
MSGTYPE=hide "The .* glows a strange dark red, but remains intact\."
MSGTYPE=hide "You feel the amulet draining your energy away\."
MSGTYPE=norep "The .* hits!"
MSGTYPE=hide "The .* misses!"
MSGTYPE=hide "The .* casts a spell!"
MSGTYPE=hide "The .* casts a spell at you!"
MSGTYPE=hide ".*, then curses\."
MSGTYPE=hide "The air crackles around the .*"
MSGTYPE=hide "The .* casts aspersions on your ancestry\."
MSGTYPE=hide "The .* swings .*"
MSGTYPE=hide "The Staff of Aesculapius draws the .* from .*!"

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 21, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

You'd think a grey stone from a chest on dlvl 2 couldn't possibly be cursed. Especially if you're able to put it down. You'd be a fool.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 2, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

You'd think a grey stone from a chest on dlvl 2 couldn't possibly be cursed. Especially if you're able to put it down. You'd be a fool.

Loadstones are not usually generated cursed, but they auto-curse when you pick them up. They do not auto-curse when removed from a container, however.

The better way to test a gray stone removed from a container is to attempt to throw it in a direction with some open space. If it just plunks down beside you, it's a loadstone.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I think he means he had a cursed luckstone and started getting extremely unlucky.
Oh wait I guess you're right.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So I had my first near winner. All that was left to do in the game was return to the vibrating square with the book of the dead. Orcus's wand exploded due to me whacking him with Mjolliner and while I was bashing on the wizard due to lack of an insta a master mindflayer got pretty lucky and sucked me brainless in a single turn (I probably should have improved my int or genocided h instead of ; ).

I've been playing nethack off and on for 17 years. This was my first time reaching the end of ghennom. I had only one near death and I didn't even realize it at the time. I had forgotten to put my cloak back on after making my gdsm, and was getting ready to use my ring of levitation to cross back over some water. I was zapped by an eel, and the ring exploded. Two more squares to the left and I would have drowned.

I'm done for awhile. After you have your ascension kit the game turns into one really,really boring slog.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Especially now with the E nerf you ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY want to genocide h first, mind flayers are not to be hosed with ever.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Eric the Mauve posted:

Especially now with the E nerf you ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY want to genocide h first, mind flayers are not to be hosed with ever.

I was reading about the E changes. How do you keep a cube from slurping your stash?

Some things I learned this game that led to my near success:
  • #name and #call makes the identify game much easier. Call everything you can whenever you get a clue
  • Unless you need the benefit right now, save scrolls you will be using a lot until you have a stack, then bless them en mass
  • Keep absolutely everything in a sack besides un-IDed wands and escape items. It will save you a lot of angst
  • Elbereth, Elbereth, Elbereth. If you are even the slightest bit unsure, or you have just not gone up against a nasty before, E
  • An Elven cloak is a very high priority item. You want one equipped at all times
  • You will eventually get to a point where the only thing that can kill you is negligence
  • Respect terrain. Lava, Ice, water are all dangerous.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 3, 2016

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Respect terrain. Lava, Ice, water are all dangerous.

Yep. Even if you're levitating over it!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

rujasu posted:

Yep. Even if you're levitating over it!

My last near winner died on the valk quest due to lava. Ctrl is right next to fn lock on my laptop. Guess which key I was holding when I walked into lava while trying to attack in place. I got an unhealthy number of wishes in that game. I think I was up to 12 or so.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

My last near winner died on the valk quest due to lava. Ctrl is right next to fn lock on my laptop. Guess which key I was holding when I walked into lava while trying to attack in place. I got an unhealthy number of wishes in that game. I think I was up to 12 or so.

My only full win (abandoned a couple of games post castle) was a Valkyrie who used fireproof water walking boots, just for avoiding that sort of thing. Playing Nethack4 I'd use speed boots but I figured speed from the wand + no dumb dunkings/deaths was better for me in vanilla.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Actually, I've come to believe that the buff given to the scroll of scare monster more than makes up for the e-word nerf, assuming you're not going atheist or have some other massive constraint on your ability to produce holy water.

I mean holy gently caress I just finished the monk quest in 3.6.0 and melee'd Master Kaen and he never even laid a glove on me. That's nuts.

Edit:

Huh. The Eyes of the Overworld no longer provide MR. That sucks.

Double edit: Ah, they only provide MR when worn. That's new, right?

SubG fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 4, 2016

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Some very insane people have made a NetHack TAS and in the process have written an insanely long guide about how to completely break the game. The guide isn't even half done yet, but already we have getting the castle wand in less than 100 turns, getting over 8000 HP at level 1, and hauling around statues while polymorphed into a queen bee.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Looks like Junethack is open for registration from the 25th - anyone up for a goon team this year?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
are they including the new nethack this year? all the variants I see still say 3.4.3 but they might have just not updated it yet

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I figure they'll be updating over the next few days - I think they only changed it to 2016 today. 3.6.0 does something weird with dumplogs, but pretty sure Paxed can sort something out for it.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Is this new?

e: I read it and gained a level. It had some lines from Terry Pratchett.

e2: oh turns out he wrote a book of the same name, makes sense

ferroque fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 30, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Ferroque posted:

Is this new?

e: I read it and gained a level. It had some lines from Terry Pratchett.

e2: oh turns out he wrote a book of the same name, makes sense

Yeah, after Terry Pratchett's death they added quotes as a tribute. Nethack was influenced by his work, and Terry Pratchett liked Nethack, too, and they wanted to do something.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

So do "paperback books" work like a potion of gain level, except you read it? What happens if you read it again? Does BUC status do anything? How about conf? I don't see a page on the wiki about it yet.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
iirc they just give you like 40xp one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
looks like the tournament has started. anyone make a clan yet?

• Locked thread