Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phooney
Dec 24, 2008
I've got a Doppelganger Tourist that I think has an excellent shot at ascending.

Everything seems to be going very well, found a co-aligned altar on dlvl4, at the same time a line of 3 gnomes advanced on me, I sacrificed them one after the other and got Whisperfeet on the 3rd sacrifice.

With the abundance of food the tourist starts out with I decided to wait around the altar for a little bit. 2 sacrifices later and I had magicbane. I happened to have 2 scrolls of uncursed enchant weapon, just right to get to the max chance of random effects with Magicbane.

Cruised down to the Mall, which turned out to be a bones level, one of my many dead Droven Flame mages, which meant a hell hound to deal with. I couldn't handle it at this stage so I zapped it away with a wand of teleport. I was blinded by a yellow light while in a shop and accidentally bumped into the shop keeper, angering him. I got hit a couple of times and my HP were down to the single digits, fortunately I was able to zap out with a wand of teleportation.

Went back up to do the mines as far as minetown, really raced up the xp levels with no danger to speak of. Got up to xp 8 by the time I finished exploration of minetown, plus purchased some protection while I was there with the huge tourist starting gold, plus quite a bit from the bones file.

Went back to the main branch to do sokoban, actually had to drop a lot of stuff on the first level because my knapsack couldn't handle any more. Fortunately I got a bag of holding at the end and picked it all up on the way back.

Back to minetown for another purchase of protection, and then back to the main dungeon. Hit xp9 by the time I got back to the mall, so Millionflower the Crystal Golem killed the angry shopkeeper. I decided it was best that way rather than getting both barrels of the shotgun everytime I walked in front of his door. I guess I am the proud owner of a large delicatessen now.

Easily picked up a lot of resistances while in crystal golem form: cold, fire, poison, and with magic bane giving me magic resistance, I was sitting pretty.

Advancing down through the dungeon I came across the most massive fire anthole I have ever seen. No huge danger to me under the circumstances I wouldn't think, but they did bite through about 200HP out of 300 by the time I bashed through them, and that was from the hallway outside too, not from getting surrounded.

A giant throne room combined with a tinning kit and my strength is at the max of 18 now.

Got the storage room, which included an amulet of life saving and a wand of cancellation, as well as a sack to put the wand in.

Went for the black market, robbed the crap out of him again, it really is too easy as a doppelganger, I just walked through the wall as a Xorn after putting everything in my bag of holding.

Now I'm back at my dlvl4 altar about to do a mass identification and alchemisation, at XP11 with intrinsic polymorph control, most relevant resistances (shock resistances via a ring) and a huge bounty of loot from the black market.

I think all those deaths with the ultra squishy droven flame mage has really helped my game, but being a doppelganger just seems a bit toooo easy sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
If I have magicbane and the eye of Aethiopica i dont need a cloak of MR do I? I'm thinking greased-up protection instead.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Reginald Bathwater posted:

If I have magicbane and the eye of Aethiopica i dont need a cloak of MR do I? I'm thinking greased-up protection instead.

Yeah you don't need it, the odds of you losing both at the same time and getting touch of deathed are so vanishingly small that it's not worth worrying about. Personally I'd go with a robe since it lets you wear spell-imparing armour like a small shield and/or gauntlets of power while still maintaining 0% failure rates.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

..btt posted:

Yes: Say you find a scroll labelled KIRJE. Should you name this scroll (#name then 'n') to KIRJE, you will now be able to do 2 things reliably with a magic marker:

1) Write a 'KIRJE' scroll. It will be whatever type 'KIRJE' really is.
2) Let's say 'KIRJE' is a scroll of identify, but you haven't identified it. You can now write 'identify' with a magic marker 100% reliably, even though you don't know it's 'KIRJE'. It will not auto-identify, and will appear as a scroll called KIRJE until you identify it.

This is why interhack will prompt to auto-name any scroll you pick up. If it's "labelled", name it. If it's "called", you're good.

Holy poo poo. I did not know that. Does that only work if name the scroll the same as what it is labelled as, or would it work if I named it something else and I told it to write that? For example, I name a KIRJE scroll "KIRJE ($100, !Tele)". If I use a magic marker and tell it to write "KIRJE ($100, !Tele)", will I get an actual KIRJE scroll?

In response to the other comments about naming, I do that in conjunction with the wordpad file.

While price ID'ing, each item gets named something like "KIRJE ($Price)". If I have eliminated one item from a series within that price, it gets added after price. For example, ($100, !Tele), where the "!" stands for "not". If there are less possibilities than ones I've eliminated, then I list those instead. Then I update as necessary.

Sorry if that seemed pretty elementary to everybody, but I wanted to show that I do know how to do that. The wordpad file just collates it all, so even if I lose the un-id'd scroll it'll still help me figure out what the other scrolls are.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

One Swell Foop posted:

Ah, I misread your post - not everyone who makes it past soko/minesend is familiar with all aspects of object IDing. It didn't register you were playing on a phone as well.

I hate pausing in the middle of a boulder move for a wand ID. Normally I get all the wands up to the last floor, then prepping for the final zoo I'll E-test them outside the door. I'll stop when I find fire or lightning (who cares about other wands :v:), so the remainder get left alone. The mass ID came a few hundred turns after that so I didn't really need to sit around testing wands.

Also, the rogue quest is harder than some endgames.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Does that only work if name the scroll the same as what it is labelled as, or would it work if I named it something else and I told it to write that?

If you name the scroll "rear end", then apply a magic marker and write "rear end", it will still write the original scroll (i.e. whatever the actual scroll is that you named "rear end"). I'm not sure what would happen if you named multiple scrolls the same thing though.

RickVoid posted:

The wordpad file just collates it all, so even if I lose the un-id'd scroll it'll still help me figure out what the other scrolls are.

Just in case you missed it in my earlier post, hitting the "\" key will tell you everything you've identified and/or named, along with their initial description, removing the need for tracking that yourself. I believe it only works for naming a type of object though, rather than an individual item ("#name" then "n" will show on the list, "#name" then "y" will not).

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
code:
Garin, lawful male human Knight

@
                                   ---------D
                                   |.......| A
                                   |...@...|                  -----
                                   |...@...|                  |...
                                   |..A@...|            -    --..---------
                                |  |...A...|  |          -- --...|.......|
                                |. ----.----V.|           ---%...|.......|
                                |......$A.....|         %%%.[$%%.-))._...|
                                ---....A@.A.---      %    ---%%%.|.......|
                                  -----|-----        $ % -- --...|.......|
                                   -   $          ---|----   --..---------
                                             |         |      -----
                                  -         --  %-------
                                   -   %   -- )$ |
                                    ---|----   ---
                                               |
                                    ------------

Garin the Knight St:18/96 Dx:22 Co:18 In:14 Wi:22 Ch:18 Lawful S:1326677
Astral Plane $:24 HP:83(138) Pw:123(174) AC:-19 Xp:16/492762 T:35679 Satiated Conf

Your inventory
  Amulets
  g - an uncursed amulet of life saving
  Weapons
  a - the uncursed +6 Grayswandir (weapon in hand)
  o - the uncursed rustproof +0 Sceptre of Might
  b - an uncursed +3 silver saber named Fernando (wielded in other hand)
  D - the uncursed +0 Sunsword
  Armor
  W - a blessed +3 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
  G - a blessed rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn)
  C - a cursed burnt -5 pair of fumble boots named Binjin (being worn)
  S - an uncursed fireproof +5 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
  Y - an uncursed fireproof +3 pair of speed boots
  P - a blessed fireproof +4 robe (being worn)
  r - a blessed +5 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
  Comestibles
  J - an uncursed partly eaten K-ration
  A - 7 uncursed K-rations
  m - an uncursed lizard corpse
  Spellbooks
  d - the uncursed Book of the Dead
  Rings
  i - a blessed corrodeproof ring of levitation
  T - a cursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)
  Wands
  F - an uncursed wand of cancellation (0:3)
  E - an uncursed wand of cancellation (0:0)
  H - an uncursed wand of death (1:5)
  s - an uncursed wand of death (0:0)
  X - an uncursed wand of digging (0:2)
  R - a cursed wand of digging (0:3)
  u - an uncursed wand of secret door detection (0:9)
  z - an uncursed wand of slow monster (0:0)
  t - an uncursed wand of teleportation (0:4)
  Tools
  f - a blessed fireproof bag of holding
  e - the uncursed Bell of Opening (0:2)
  k - a cursed blindfold
  K - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
  c - a blessed magic lamp (lit)
  L - an uncursed magic marker (1:0)
  B - an uncursed magic marker (1:34)
  q - an uncursed magic marker (0:3)
  n - the blessed Magic Mirror of Merlin
  p - a cursed very rusty corroded +0 pick-axe
  x - a cursed rusty skeleton key
  h - an uncursed +0 unicorn horn
  y - an uncursed wooden flute
  Gems
  j - an uncursed luckstone
  N - an uncursed touchstone
YAAP for sure. It's been a while since I could really stomach going through Gehennom. The only really of-note things about this game were missing a bag of holding in the Big Room (I skipped the place because it had some nasties too tough for me to kill at the time) so I wasted a castle wish on the item. Oh, and I found mithril at like dlvl 16 or something really late. Oh and I found a handy bones file on Juiblex's level too! Sceptre of Might, three markers and a 0:2 wand of wishing from the guy. Knight blows through everything once you can get them to tolerable HP levels.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

I thought I'd figured out all the terrible jokes in NetHack, but then I realized another.

"The wand unsuccessfully fights your attempt to write!" is the engrave message for using... a wand of striking.

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never got that until now.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
ooooooooooooh. Now I feel dumb :(

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Ascended that lucky rogue. <30k turns, which I realize is pitiful given 12 wishes but still pretty good for me.

I didn't do nearly as much endgame prep as I usually do, only had AC -33 and 171HP, but had a few spare wishes. Got to Air before I realized I didn't have a way of confusing myself, wished up a cursed marker to write confuse monster. Got to Astral without a /oTele, hacked my way though all the insects and the first altar was mine.

Rogue ascension pushed my zscore up to 7.5, now looking at putting a wizard up.

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
YAAP

Fired up GUI Nethack to practice for a bit (haven't played much since my last post) and decided to record the games in 1080p for no reason in particular. The character randomizer gave me a Valkyrie after a few games, which prompted me to go for a few conducts. I managed to match my best effort on NAO, collecting 7 (atheist vegan vegetarian genocide artiwishing polyself polypiles). The difference with the NAO Samurai was that the Valkyrie was an athiest instead of illiterate. The NAO Samurai had the benefits of easily obtaining holy water and intrinsic resistances via crowning. This Valkyire had the benefit of murdering enemies with +6 weapons.

I passed up the one opportunity I had to wish for a color of dragon scale mail other than gray or silver. Upon hitting the castle wand, I wished for gray dragon scale mail so that I would not have to worry about breaking the polyself conduct. Immediately after I made the wish, I lamented my lack of sleep resistance (orange dragon scale mail and a cloak of magic resistance would've been the safest play, which would've been completely okay since I still had the 1:0 wishing wand at the end of the game). Excalibur was obtained early in the game, which meant that I was able to auto-detect the unavoidable sleep traps before I stepped on them. I eventually did get sleep resistance from eating a gelatinous cube in the zoo in Rodney's tower. O_o

"Highlights" of this "well-played" run:
1) Attempting to make holy water using uncursed (but not blessed) remove curse scrolls while confused.
2) Attempting to safely destroy the unavoidable sleep trap in the Valley of the Dead by moving adjacent to it, reading a scroll of earth, moving on top of it to trigger it, then digging down.

full imgur album with equipment/attributes/monsters killed/conducts/score
http://girldrinkdrunk1.imgur.com/nethack__7_conduct_valkyrie_post_game_dumps

time-lapse, 29x speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw4nwL7_7LY

EDIT: Complete playlist - 2x speed, 15 parts.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AE863FAE750A4B71

Girl Drink Drunk fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 26, 2010

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Ugh, I got the farthest I ever got and was cornered by a Winged Gargoyle while going for the Luckstone at Mine's End.

The next game I fell into multiple traps that dropped me into Mine Town. I open the door and get swarmed by loving Monkeys, Gnomes, and a Nymph. Bastard Monkeys start trying to steal my poo poo, Nymph takes my +3 Shield. Then I die trying to track down the Nymph with a crossbow. Turns out I had a scroll of genocide. I would of been so happy to use that on the Nymphs.

I also found a Hall of Leprechauns a couple games ago. I never had so much fun going through there with an empty purse killing all those little fucks.

So a couple questions.

I kept getting touched by Cockatrices at Mine's End. But I never turned to stone. Was I saved by my armor, amulet of reflection, or just plain luck?

Is there any way to protect myself from Nymphs and Leprechauns?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Leprechauns are easy, if you don't have any money in your open inventory or on the ground at your feet, then they can't steal+teleport. Put it all into a bag or, if you don't have one, you can just drop it on the ground and move away from it and take it back when the lep is dead.

If you have good magic cancellation, a cockatrice itself isn't all that dangerous. Shenanigans with a corpse will lead to a lot more deaths.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Puck42 posted:

Ugh, I got the farthest I ever got and was cornered by a Winged Gargoyle while going for the Luckstone at Mine's End.

The next game I fell into multiple traps that dropped me into Mine Town. I open the door and get swarmed by loving Monkeys, Gnomes, and a Nymph. Bastard Monkeys start trying to steal my poo poo, Nymph takes my +3 Shield. Then I die trying to track down the Nymph with a crossbow. Turns out I had a scroll of genocide. I would of been so happy to use that on the Nymphs.

I also found a Hall of Leprechauns a couple games ago. I never had so much fun going through there with an empty purse killing all those little fucks.

So a couple questions.

I kept getting touched by Cockatrices at Mine's End. But I never turned to stone. Was I saved by my armor, amulet of reflection, or just plain luck?

Is there any way to protect myself from Nymphs and Leprechauns?

If a cockatrice touches you while alive that actually can't stone you on its own, even if you're naked. It's a lead in to their hissing attack, which only has a 1/13 chance of starting the stoning process (100% on a new moon). Even then, it's not the same instantaneous petrification that you get from mishandling a corpse; you get a few turns that you can use to either eat a lizard corpse or pray.

There's no real way to protect yourself from Nymphs, though they frequently spawn asleep so being stealthy can help you avoid them. Leprechauns can't steal any gold that you have tucked into a sack, and if they can't steal they won't teleport either. With both Nymphs and Leprechauns, using cancellation on them will take away their ability to steal and teleport which makes them pretty easy to take out.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I've got back on a Nethack kick lately, mostly after deciding I was going to try Unnethack.

Does it bug anyone else that your character has been "hailed since birth as the instrument of" whatever god, and yet you're sent into the dungeon untrained, uninformed, underequipped, and with no companions save a small kitten or puppy?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

sfwarlock posted:

I've got back on a Nethack kick lately, mostly after deciding I was going to try Unnethack.

Does it bug anyone else that your character has been "hailed since birth as the instrument of" whatever god, and yet you're sent into the dungeon untrained, uninformed, underequipped, and with no companions save a small kitten or puppy?

Even a Stradivarius was a sapling once...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Well, it turns out being an instrument of the gods doesn't pay as well as it used to.

RjY
Apr 24, 2003

The Guidebook's introduction suggests it's all in your head.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Also, the guy has an invisible choir ready to go at a moment's notice with some radiance-bathing tunes, it's reasonable to assume he's got several orchestras, bands, and other musical groups. Third piccolo in his C-league marching band isn't going to earn you too many resources.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

Watch out Magic Lamp wishes don't work the same as they used too!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Watch out Magic Lamp wishes don't work the same as they used too!

I noticed. Fortunately shields of reflection don't seem to be magical.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think my number one killer in SLASH'EM is impatience. I've finally figured out what was killing me in the early levels; it wasn't the fact that the new enemies are more dangerous than the classic ones (though they are), but rather the slower levelling speed for the first half of the game. I'm used to the rate I can descend in NetHack, which is too fast for SLASH'EM, so I would often be at a depth that was too strong for my level. Now I can regularly survive until around Sokoban, though doing all the puzzle poo poo there starts to wear me out and I start rushing and making stupid mistakes, which usually kills me. I should split up playing into multiple sessions so when I get to that point, I can stop and come back to it later when I'm feeling more refreshed.

Some day, I will make it to the castle. Though I'm playing Slethe so the castle is going to be very different than the one I saw in NetHack. Should I do an explore mode run to prepare myself for the later parts of the game I haven't seen yet, or let them surprise me? I'm trying to handle the new content as spoiler-free as possible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So ever since my little adventure in compiling the slethe patch into SLASH'EM, I've become addicted to modifying the source code. Every time I see something that I feel like should be different, it's as easy as just changing a line of code and recompiling (getting it to compile the FIRST time is a pain, but once you get it working it works every time).

So far I've:
-Fully implemented the Slethe patch (which was the original point, after all)
-Given the Undead Slayer speed equal to every other class.
-Given the Necromancer at least basic skill in every spell school but healing (which is still restricted). They're still worse casters overall than other "pure" casters, though.
-Changed the name of the potion of amnesia to potion of Lethe water. Given that it's the only potion besides normal water that keeps a fixed appearance, I figured it was thematically appropriate.

I have to say, making even the littlest changes to the source is a real pain; they really LOVE their macros and variables named "tmp", so often it's very difficult to figure out A) what something is actually meant to do and B) where something is defined. Even more fun is some of the definitions are made at compile time based on the data in the files, meaning that when I changed the name of the amnesia potion, it broke a bunch of other files because it was now defining "POT_LETHE_WATER" instead of "POT_AMNESIA", the former of which is referenced nowhere and the latter which is referenced in a bunch of places. I ended up having to put a dirty workaround in the code that creates the definition files, since it was a lot easier to change it in that one spot than it would be to track down every instance of "POT_AMNESIA" in the code and changing it to "POT_LETHE_WATER".

And yet I'm still tempted to try even crazier things, like making quarterstaves cause a stunning blow ala martial arts if you use them at expert skill, or creating a mind flayer player race, or giving weapons a chance at an extra attack if you have expert (the mind flayer race is a bit too crazy for me to try just yet). There was also an idea I liked from the "Suggested future changes" file in the source, where having high alignment with your god might give them a chance to save you if you die. I'm thinking being crowned could be a requirement for that, and then your chance is determined by how high your alignment is (after it happens your alignment gets reset to 20. It can't happen at all if it's below 20, even if you're crowned). I have no idea how to even go about adding that to the game, though.

I'm beginning to understand why people say "Don't try to learn C from the NetHack source code"

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 27, 2010

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

So I've been playing this game for like a month now, every time I take a dump, and I still completely suck at this game

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So if you played slash'em you could have you're character take a dump while you do too.
whoa

Anyways I like the idea of fooling around with source code; nethack (and slash'em) badly needs modernizing. after playing trunk DC:SS for so long the game could really use a responsive and hyperactive dev team; at least.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

where do i get this slash em game

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

http://slashem.sourceforge.net/

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

So I've been playing this game for like a month now, every time I take a dump, and I still completely suck at this game

How do you define "suck"? Lots of people have played for years and never beaten it.

Also SLASH'EM isn't any easier than NetHack.

Lawman 0 posted:

after playing trunk DC:SS for so long the game could really use a responsive and hyperactive dev team; at least.

I really doubt that the NetHack dev team has any intention on actually ever releasing a new version.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

haven't gotten past exp level 3. I did get to dungeon level 4 I think. I still haven't even managed to figure out what I'm doing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

How do you define "suck"? Lots of people have played for years and never beaten it.

Also SLASH'EM isn't any easier than NetHack.

If anything, it's significantly more difficult.

Zero: What class are you playing, and what keeps killing you? NetHack does not have balanced classes; some are intentionally more difficult to play than others. Valkyrie, Samurai, and Barbarian are good beginner classes.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Used to play Samurai and Valkyrie, but now I just random. I get killed because I clear the two first floors out and then run into something too strong on the third and running away gets me killed. I don't know what any items or spells or fountains do, and I eat corpses at random. I just wanted to play slashem so I could dump while I dumped.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Zero The Hero posted:

Used to play Samurai and Valkyrie, but now I just random. I get killed because I clear the two first floors out and then run into something too strong on the third and running away gets me killed. I don't know what any items or spells or fountains do, and I eat corpses at random. I just wanted to play slashem so I could dump while I dumped.

You probably know this stuff by now, but just in case: many items have randomized descriptions, so a pink potion or a scroll labeled 'KIRJE' will have different effects from game to game. And that's outside of some equipment being cursed or things working slightly differently for different classes. Some stuff like fountains will have random chances of being moderately good or ridiculously bad for you, if they do anything at all. Be sure to search multiple times in corridors that end blindly or walls that border wide blank areas of a level's map, and remember that prayer works as a last chance save-me command in a lot of situations. If you're not trying to do a blind run (justifiably rare), I'd recommend perusing some spoilers so you're not flailing around wildly.

Mikko Saari's Absolute Beginner's Guide for NetHack 3.4.1 - http://www.melankolia.net/nethack/nethack.guide.html
Steelypip's Yet Another NetHack Site - http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/
The Nethack Wiki - http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
HiSpeed's Interactive Nethack Helper (a little advanced)- http://nethack.no-ip.biz/nh-helper-public/nh-helper.html

edit: Looked back through the thread and noticed you're been at this for a while and are not the total newbie I was assuming you were. Please feel free to disregard any of the blindingly obvious stuff that would make me look like a condescending jerk. Elbereth.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 29, 2010

Girl Drink Drunk
Jan 2, 2007

"Well it's really quite simple Russ. You simply take twelve large strawberries chopped, three ounces of dark rum and a..."
All of this SLASH'EM discussion encouraged me to try it out. Skimming through the guidebook, I noticed the #technique and #youpoly commands were added. I figured that's enough info, time to conquer the Dun....

:stare:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Girl Drink Drunk posted:

The cloak was poisoned!

I think everyone makes that mistake at least once. Also, beware of thrown potions.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

..btt posted:

I think everyone makes that mistake at least once. Also, beware of thrown potions.

Poisoned cloak, gently caress, that's unfair even by Nethack standards.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's not that unfair - it's not a poisoned cloak, it's a poisonous cloak. It's more a tool to stop you randomly trying on unidentified cloaks without consequence. Unless you have poison resist, in which case, it's semi-useful for its MC3.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Poisoned cloak, gently caress, that's unfair even by Nethack standards.

It's actually not that bad. It only applies the poison when you put it on, and it's rarely cursed, so it's actually pretty mild compared to some of the other bad equipment items like boots/gloves of fumbling.

Granted sometimes you get unlucky with the deadly poison... but hey, shriekers are one of the things that can grow on corpses. Eat up!

Also, you can hit Alt+T as a shortcut for #Technique in SLASH'EM. Depending on your class you may be using techs a lot, so it's handy.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's worth noting though that poisonous cloaks have a 1/3 chance of being deadly, much higher than any other source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like the more generous the game is towards me, the more likely I am to do something stupid and screw up. Yesterday I had a great game going thanks to an early altar that gave me Mjollnir on my second sacrifice, and it ended up being the first time I've cleared both the gnome king's lair and Sokoban in SLASH'EM, and then I got killed by an angry shopkeeper because I zapped a wand of dig to break a gem out of a wall, and the beam somehow travelled through 10 more tiles into the wall of a shop :suicide:. I threw cash at him to try to appease him but all he did was go "Thanks, scum!" and keep shooting me.

My current game? Found a wand of death on level 1. Anticipating accidentally bouncing it into myself off a wall at some point.

*edit* killed by a werejackal on level 2. Yayyyyyy. One thing about SLASH'EMs change to the way monster polymorphing works is that it makes were(anything) a pain to kill because they keep switching to their animal forms, summon a dozen helpers, then when you kill them it just reverts them to human, and they switch back to animal next turn again.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 29, 2010

• Locked thread