Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have somehow disabled drop messages and can't find a way to turn them on in the options. This doesn't bother me if I drop something because I know where it is, but when it's my pet it's another story.

What did I do? I really don't see it in the options or controls.

Also, can cockatrice eggs stone you instantly? I'm thinking if you have two different stacks of two eggs and a lizard corpse, you can safely eat one and have a great projectile IDed.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at Mar 25, 2009 around 02:42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

psykelus posted:

You throw the cockatrice egg. The egg slips from your hand!--More--

This could be a great dudley.

So the option I somehow tweaked was "verbose." Do not set this option to false. It referred to every enemy as "it" and didn't show a number of messages. I suspect it was reducing my to-hit chance as well.

Never mentioned it before but superb thread title.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at Mar 25, 2009 around 04:36

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Social Animal posted:

Are they tame at all? That's a neat way to get pets if so.

Yes, you get something like:
The cave spider crawls out of your pack! It's cries sound like "mama."

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lizard corpses also make okay food rations, but keep one for anti-stoning.

I have a theory that partially eaten food rations are better than their whole equivalent. Say you start eating it and black out for a bit. You could finish it on the spot and not get "blech rotten food!" again. The second eating gets most of the filling done, but takes fewer turns than eating a normal ration and is less risky, plus they should be lighter.

Not starving comes with some practice and is only an issue early game. If you are running low on food, consider doing the mines first or rushing to them. All you can eat gnome.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you get the scrolls of earth from sokoban, depending on the minetown layout and size of the temple it could be possible to trap the priest with boulders so he can do nothing but get pissed as you convert the mine town altar.

I guess you then risk changing gods before the quest and becoming unascendable.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Fury1671 posted:

Blind yourself. It removes all those messages and if you are fire resistant you are A-OK!

This with a little telepathy, warning, etc.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I love this game and it's a treat to read or watch other people on telnet from time to time.

I can't remember at all, what's the difference between naming and calling an item? If naming is just for one thing can it be helpful in IDing or is it more for posterity like a pair of spectacles named "Cool Shades"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

netcat posted:

I might just be the king of really retarded deaths:
code:
  The magic-absorbing blade stuns the cockatrice!
  Your tentacles suck the cockatrice.
  You eat the cockatrice's brain!
  You turn to stone...
  You die...
Wasn't paying attention and realized a second too late what I just had done.
This cockatrice's brain tastes terrible!