Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

psykelus posted:

What the hell.

As with tons of Nethack stuff I see posted, I don't understand this at all. What happened here?

I've picked up the game again after playing it off and on a few times every couple years. I'm determined to ascend this time but I seem to die to something stupid every time I finish Sokoban. Both times I've had an un-removable elbereth but somehow managed to die anyway. The first time I forget what killed me, the second time it was a stupid fire ant that killed me while I was blinded.

Nethack is frustrating but I can't get too angry at it because it's brutally fair. Every time I die I think "oh, right, I could've done <x> to live there". I'm sure my samurai will make it eventually.

Although, this time I did get completely cheesed by a gnome with a wand. Oh well.

edit: Do you guys have some secret for making having a pet not stupid and frustrating or are you just more dedicated to nethack than I am? Every game now I've left my dog on the first floor because I absolutely can't stand trying to make him follow me up and down every floor I go to, constantly seeing "you displace <pet>", and constantly seeing "your pet is in the way" type messages. At this point, it seems like my pet is:

- Annoying (eats corpses that I wanted)
- Unnecessary (only rarely does he actually do anything)
- Stupid (dies to dumb poo poo when I actually would find him useful)
- Tedious (requires a stupid level of micromanagement)

Is there any important reason beyond BUC testing (which I've managed fine every game so far without him) I should keep him with me or am I okay leaving him? Even in the Nethack let's play thread it seems like the guy's pets die constantly.

Saikonate fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

psykelus posted:

Swarmed to the point of impossiblity, the extremely strong and powerful player couldn't even really move and was killed in a handful turns -- nearly at the end of the game.

I just noticed - level 30, -54AC. Wow.

Game's insidious.

• Locked thread