Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
I tried playing on NAO once, but movement was just impossible, never mind the ascii. How do you even get around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?

Laser Spider posted:

I assume you use the number pad? If so, you can log in here and change your settings. Make sure to check out the rest of their site, as some of the statistics there are interesting.

Thanks. Maybe I'll have to give NAO another shot. I really like The Kins's tileset though.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Okay, I need some help. Zappy the Wizard is really my first decent run I've had without being stupidly lucky with bones files or magic lamps (I have found neither). I was fortunate enough to get a throne wish for a SDSM, and thanks to a lucky polymorph on a unicorn horn (for a marker) I can now run around just fingering anything I want to death. My big problem is that I've found my quest portal, but I'm only level 12. I have potions of gain level ID'd, but I can't find any, and despite having killed plenty of wraiths, not a single one has left a corpse. How should I go about gaining these last two levels? Should I just ignore the quest for now and continue adventuring deeper, but stopping before the castle until I get them, or is there a better way to do this.

Also, the only altar I've ran into is a cross-aligned one in Minetown, but fortunately I can cast Identify without fail. Needless to say, no Magicbane, but a +5 quarterstaff has been surprisingly powerful. I even whacked a vampire to death since I forgot force bolt (:() and fingering him wasn't working. What sort of end-game weapon should I be hunting for?

Edit: Also, Wikihack is seriously the best Nethack resource ever. All the info you could get reading spoilers, but incredibly easy to search.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Alright, just got the Eye, and now I am seemingly unable to run out of power. I'm at -20 AC and have extrinsic reflection, MR, and speed. I can fling magic missiles and fingers like nobody's business, and I have Identify for support, all 3 spells have a 0% fail rate. Is there anything else I should make sure to get before making the dive into hell?

Edit: For instance, what would be a wizard's ideal end-game gear?

Banannana fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 9, 2009

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Genocide gnomes.

Actually, this can be an excellent idea, so long as the genocide scroll is blessed. loving mind flayers.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?

Shanty posted:

Mind flayer's are h, though, unless there's some midget flayer type I'm unaware of.
Gnomes should really be h too, though, that way golems could be G.

poo poo, I get gnomes and dwarves mixed up all the time.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Well, that sucked. I made a Lawful Valkyrie and was trying to make Excalibur. My first #dip made a bunch of snakes come out, so I killed them all with careful use of the E word and a prayer. Then I healed up and tried dipping again. Same thing happened, though this time I wasn't so lucky.

So I ask you, what the crap? Was it just wicked bad RNG luck, or am I doing something wrong? I was level 6 and lawful, so I would think I wouldn't have a problem, but double snakes?

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?

Vanadium posted:

I do not know anything about probabilities to pick up food, but spellcasting does have a hunger penalty. :shobon:

Unless you have 17 or higher intelligence, which is nice.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Quick question: If I mount a pony and run around the dungeon chopping poo poo up, will the pony level, or do I need to be unmounted for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
So apparently demiliches can summon master mind flayers and disenchanters.

That's good to know...

• Locked thread