Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Wear reflection when kicking down shop doors, obviously.

Pffft. More like sit your pet on a poly trap till you have a dragon or some other equally Bad Thing and set him on all creation.

I once led a big mean q on a rampage through all of mine town and several in-dungeon shops because I wanted gold for protection money down in the valley. Then my q ate the priest of molloch. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Pay attention when you see the message "Closed for inventory" written in front of a locked door in the dungeon (unless you were killed in Mine Town, where kicking down any doors is generally a Bad Idea).

I know this is a bit of old discussion now, but on this same note always make sure to look under your feet if you see a locked door at the end of a hallway into a room with no other connecting hallways. Remembering that shops are only generated with one entrance door will save you from a lot of "I kicked a door in the corner of the map" deaths.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

tripwood posted:

I just found an all you can eat Cockatrice buffet. Anyone hungry?

Screw cockatrice nests, seriously.

Also, in response to the choking death earlier, I still think mine is the best.

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Cholfo/dumplog/1206136544.nh343.txt

Note my resists. And the amulet of magical breathing in my bag. And my spells. And my gear. And my gems. Boy was my face red, I was heading down to beat Rodney around and ascend. The real embarrassment was the mental image, though.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Argon_Sloth posted:

You don't have to pick up a corpse to tin it. I can't remember if tinning makes soiled food safely edible.

Tinning does make food safely edible, with the exception of cockatrice meat I think. All "poisonous or sickening" corpses, according to the wiki. I'm fairly certain this includes rot.

Also, whoever it was who was saying don't eat bats because they cause confusion, they cause stun. If bats caused confusion you'd see a lot more ice-boxed bats in fast ascension runs since they're significantly more common than potions of confusion and significantly less risky than potions of booze.

Speaking of ice-box uses, I seem to recall some player hauling around an ice box filled with cockatrice corpses.. Can't remember the name though.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
My samurai stumbled across a pretty nice bones file in the big room today. Nabbed a cloak of MR(which I'm only wearing for the MC, I have GDSM already), a lot of rings, some unholy water and other neat goodies.. But I've got a feeling the real prize lies in the scrolls and potions his vampire lord picked up. The dead wizard was nice enough to burn E on the upstairs before eating it to a winged gargoyle, but that vamp lord is a tough nut to crack, and he's regenerating as fast as I do damage(stethoscope).

Any suggestions on taking him down? I don't have any source of paralysis yet, might be able to find a potion in one of the shops I've glanced through now that I have the dead guy's 9k gold. Perhaps blow one of my precious polymorph zaps on him and hope for the best?

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Darth l33t posted:

If you're having trouble killing a vampire lord you must be pretty early on in the game, so be careful. That said, if you have a silver wand or ring, or even a few silver arrows, you may be able to do more damage by bashing with them than with a proper weapon. You can check the material of your items with '\'. If you have a silver ring, put it on and attack the vampire bare-handed and gloveless (but watch out for cockatrices!)

That's a good idea, I think I saw some silver arrows in the mines. I'll report back with an edit if I get him good and deader.

E: Bashed him to death with a +2 ring of protection. Got a ring of slow digestion and a potion of gain level out of it, totally worth it.

Cholfo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 31, 2009

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

livingiseasy posted:

I've been playing Nethack for about a year and a half and I can never really make it to mine town reliably, and always end up getting hosed trying to do sokoban, so here are a few questions. For some context, I play wizard and use the graphical tileset.

Honestly, you might want to start going to minetown before Sokoban. The chance of a co-aligned altar, and therefore Magicbane, is high enough to make it very worth it. That, and the light shop might carry a magic lamp, which could mean a free wish if you get it blessed. Getting Magicbane as quick as possible is pretty much the win-button for wizards, barring a mishap with some H's when you start approaching Medusa.

And Sokoban isn't exactly necessary, but an early bag of holding or amulet of reflection is amazingly useful.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Smello posted:

Just quoting to say this is freaking awesome, and why I love Nethack.

It was pretty cool to do, not gonna lie. I just ascended that samurai, actually. There were a couple of bumps and bruises along the way(couldn't find a BoH forever, was malignant-aura'd into dropping my +7 silver saber on the plane of water, got my brain sucked in Gehennom causing me to forget some irritating mazes, getting zapped with a wand of lightning while enchanting my armor which exploded my teleport/tele control rings, had to check all three altars), but it wasn't too terribly hard, and most of the worst things happened in the end-game where I could deal with them.

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Cholfo/dumplog/1243620998.nh343.txt

Vanadium posted:

So today I managed to lose a ~20000 turns Samurai to choking on a frost giant corpse. I am not really feeling whole ascension business anymore. :(

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Cholfo/dumplog/1206136544.nh343.txt

E: I'm dumb. Posted this already. Still.

Cholfo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 5, 2009

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Sartak posted:

the other 50% is thinking

You're both leaving out a generous lather of "luck." Spoilers and good thinking can win a game for you, sure, but that blessed magic lamp in mine town that gives you dragon scale sure doesn't hurt, or those speed boots that spawn on D2. Little poo poo like that happens fairly often, the victory comes from knowing how to take advantage of it. I'm pretty sure most first ascensions happen because of an early awesome item.

Frequent ascensions do come from learning that the +2 ring of protection you ditched two levels ago will take care of that bones'd vampire lord, and putting enough thought into it to not step off of your burned E though.

Cholfo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 5, 2009

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Hamelin posted:

What do I do next? I've never gotten this far.

Explore downward and start making your way towards medusa. I'd avoid actually taking her on until you have reliable levitation though. Oh, and watch out for the possible titan on her level. Your quest should probably be your next goal, but exploring towards medusa will get you there fast enough.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

reflir posted:

I literally just found a spellbook of knock. On the level below medusa I also found an archlich who summoned a master mindflayer. I fled. Anyway, do I specifically need to cast knock on locked doors to up my skill or does it always work?

You can just cast it in any old direction. The check is "successful cast" not "effective cast." And good job getting past medusa. You've gotten past the hard part of the game. Now it's just a matter of not getting eaten by a minotaur until you're strong enough to blow them away at first blush with a magic missile. That, and building up your kit. Nearly all deaths after medusa and the quest seem to be stupid ones. That or cockatrices, which only don't count as stupid if you don't have reliable E.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Sartak posted:

You don't need a ton of bullshit. Drop all those wands, rings, potions, scrolls, etc. you'll never use. I could've done more of that myself even.

This is very true, but hard to get into the habit of when you're pack rattish, especially with a blessed BoH. I'm still trying to convince myself that it's not worth it to carry all those damned gems. You lugging around those heavy invocation items shows you're not entirely broken of it either.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I always head to mine town before sokoban as a wizard just in case the altar's co-aligned, unless I find a co-aligned altar in the dungeon on the way down first. Magicbane is the magical win button for early wizards, far more so than the few extra potions and rations a BoH lets you carry or the reflected magic missile that gnome zapped at you that your robe would have protected you from anyway.

Sokoban is definitely my next stop though.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Contra Duck posted:

As hard as it is to visualise, yes you can do that.

I always pictured it more as "dump the potion on it" than actually dipping into it. I don't know about you, but I picture potion mouths about as wide as your average soda bottle, which would keep most things larger than a quarter out. The term "dip" is probably just a carry over from fountain dipping, since it "behaves" the same code-wise.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

You can dip unihorns, which take 2 hands to wield, and the potion is just affected, it's not like you're dumping the potion on it since you're left with a bottle of some new potion. In conclusion the bottles for potions are giant.

Well, unless you stab yourself with the horn or rub it vigorously on yourself when you [a]pply it for a cure, then I'm guessing "dipping" the horn involves some kind of radiant glowing bullshit that magics the potion into something else, rather than some "horn touches liquid" thing. That is a pretty good response to the dumping vs. dipping theory though. Maybe the horn is actually hollow and you funnel the liquid through it into an empty bottle you undoubtedly have laying about.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

synertia posted:

So not funny. I had this happen 3 times in the samurai quest. 2 amulets of life saving. Bisected three times. I was pissed.

If you're actually trying to melee the Samurai quest boss, you're probably doing something wrong. I don't even bother with the quest as a samurai until I've found a wand of sleep or death, unless none generate by Castle.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
I find Samurai to be more fun than valkyries, you can two-weapon long swords very effectively and basically destroy anything that looks at you funny in melee. They also don't do terribly in attack and clerical schools, which means you can probably supplement with some magic missile or something.

If you want some sort of class that's in between pure casting and mostly melee, you could try a healer. They're pretty tough to get off the ground, but wind up plenty strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
I learned the other day that the entrance to the central chamber at the bottom of the valkyrie quest is a drawbridge. That was a fast end to an otherwise guaranteed ascension.

• Locked thread