Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Is there any way to make NetHack not look like total rear end while playing in a KDE "terminal?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

This local game Wizard is doomed to failure. First sacrifice I get Magicbane, and then two sacrifices later I get Orcrist (which is pretty useless but whatever). :shobon:

edit: Yep. One floor down and a dip results in snakes and the fountain didn't dry. Death by snake.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 26, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

BARON BONGHITS posted:

'Don't dip until snakes aint no thang' is a really good rule of thumb and definitely one to apply to any promising characters

I really wanted holy water to bless some things, and I was also hoping for a dip wish since things were going so well. :smith:

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

JawnV6 posted:

Did NAO recently make a change with bones files? My past few games have all hit multiple bones files, often with a few ghosts each. Am I just imagining things?

It's possible to have a bones level where the previous player was also on a bones level and died.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

ThreeHams posted:

You hit the chickatrice! You turn to stone.

Add "DOUBLE CHECK IF YOU ARE WIELDING A WEAPON AT ALL TIMES" to my checklist of things. I've actually never instantly turned to stone before - only had a delayed stoning, which became an instakill because I was eating a food ration at the time. I can't reproduce how it happened, even in wizard mode, and I really wish the game kept a log of your last turn (the full cause of death).

New moon? During a new moon their petrification attack is instant unless you have a lizard corpse in your backpack. Also they insta-stone you when you walk on their corpse without shoes, hit them without gloves, touch their corpse without gloves, or other ways that involve them coming into contact with bare skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Argon_Sloth posted:

ThreeHams stated the exact situation that let to his demise. It had nothing to do with a new moon. There's a special kind of sinking feeling that you get when you let go of your weapon, only to see "You begin bashing monsters with your bare hands." as you attack a cockatrice.

You might be getting the blind/no gloves scenario mixed up with something else.

You can safely walk over a cockatrice corpse without boots. However, if you are blind and not wearing gloves you will turn to stone if you find yourself in the same square as a cockatrice corpse. When you're blind you see with your hands.

Maybe you were thinking of the consequence of kicking a cockatrice corpse while barefooted.

I'm chalking that awful post up to a combination of cough syrup and lack of sleep.

• Locked thread