Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

Please, the terms of my parole say I mustn't
Ran into a pretty wild bones file: Black and gray dragons on level 12(!). Looks like this has been a honey trap for a while, as there appeared to be three different piles in there, all with LOADED BoH and no tombstones. Fortunely my sokobon was the reflect one and once I found a cancel my ascension kit came together way faster than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

Cicadalek posted:

Was one of the ghosts J5A? It might be the same one I was bitching about last page.

Wow, yeah. All safe now!

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

If it's any consolation to J5A you should know I took your Mjolnir with me to the Astral Planes. Forgot to name it though.

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

McNerd posted:

Sounds like to me like you might be descending too quickly. Depending what qualifies as "useful equipment," I'd think you should have some by that point. Are you exploring each level thoroughly?

Also, you have to be pretty unlucky to get your wizard killed like that. Force bolt is terrific in the early game. But sometimes the RNG screws you.

On an unrelated note, is there a reason I've never seen a woodchuck? I've played for years and ascended several classes. Are they on a Quest level or something?

They don't spawn anywhere; they were added as a sort of joke by the devteam, and the only way you'll ever see one is by reverse-genociding, or zany polymorph.

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

Contra Duck posted:

I've done that except I polyed into a vampire lord just after the castle and used an amulet of unchanging to prevent what would have been a rather nasty change back to human. Playing out the endgame as a V was pretty cool actually, you get free regeneration, 10 free points of AC and you can fly which means you don't have to worry about primitive technologies like rings of levitation.

I considered trying that actually, are there any downsides beside silver damage and possible nymph instakills?

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

Oh god oh god dying to Pestilence oh god oh god

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

I didn't realize I was burdened thanks to satiation. Yes being full IS more important than being slow, thank you nethack interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

McNerd posted:

At this point, if you care enough about your score to bother, you make smart guesses based on the number of each type you found. If you have one pile of 30 red stones, and one pile of 6 red stones, and one pile of 2 red stones (which you can tell are valuable through engrave-testing), it's pretty easy to guess which ones are glass.

Or just write some ?oID.

You can also weed out a lot of garbage by naming all your unknowns "glass", putting them in a chest and kicking the crap out of it. Everything that survives isn't glass!

• Locked thread