Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bort
Mar 13, 2003

Some options that I like:
code:
OPTIONS=hilite_pet,!verbose,!legacy
If you're using NAO, you can get better graphics by setting OPTIONS=ibmgraphics and making this change to Putty:
Window, Translation, Received data assumed to be in which character set: CP437.
e: non-Windows terminal info is here

Gets you this:
This also makes lit_corridor a useful option.

Anyone know of a way of setting the non-numberpad meta key to be anything but shift-3?

Click here for my ancient usenet post that has good hints for play.

bort fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Whenever I try that, I get a yellow mold.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

As far as food goes:
[...]
- Mine Town (via the Gnomish Mines, stairs leading down near the start of the game) is also likely to contain a food store

Careful if you're playing a gnomish or dwarven character - then the mines contains cannibalism!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Some people (including some folks in this thread) are obnoxious elitists about it
:colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

In fact, I look down on people who use the numberpad.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Full moon on Friday the 13th :smug:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I know wizard players who say the first major goal is to get to Sokoban and solve the food problem. Even if you don't take it that seriously, food should be your first job as a Wiz.

You could also intersperse your Wizards with any of the classes that start with significant food (Arc, Bar, Mon, Ran, Tou, Val).

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I keep a pet around in the early game. I don't usually rob shops, but I always like one in a shop early on so I avoid mimics and cursed stuff. I like having one in the mines with me to use as early warning/buffer/obstacle and hopefully to beat up watchmen in minetown. In the mid-game, I'll still keep tripe rations, fortune cookies and fruit to toss at wandering tameables. I'll usually leave them behind for expediency.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I generally do the mines in two or three phases. The luckstone at the bottom is worth the trip. You've got two levels until you can quest, anyway, so you may as well go kill everything.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

YAFAwwww:smith:

code:
Bort13 the Curator St:18/** Dx:22 Co:18 In:22 Wi:22 Ch:18 Lawful S:3122989

Astral Plane $:675 HP:201(326) Pw:47(312) AC:-32 Xp:30/105029949 T:90638 Stun

Your inventory
  Amulets
  i - a blessed amulet of reflection (being worn)
  z - an uncursed amulet of life saving
  Y - the blessed Amulet of Yendor

Weapons
  w - the blessed rustproof +4 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
  S - a blessed +5 silver saber (wielded in other hand)
  W - the blessed rustproof +4 Sunsword
  Armor
  p - a blessed +2 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)

y - a blessed greased fireproof +2 robe (being worn)
  K - a blessed fireproof +3 pair of speed boots (being worn)
  N - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
  Z - an uncursed greased rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn)

Final attributes
  You were piously aligned
  Your alignment was  463

You were fire resistant
  You were cold resistant
  You were sleep resistant
  You were disintegration-resistant
  You were shock resistant
  You were poison resistant
  You were magic-protected
  You were stunned

You were telepathic
  You had automatic searching
  You were stealthy
  You had slower digestion
  You were protected
  You were very fast
  You had reflection
  You were wielding two weapons at once

You were extremely lucky (13)
  You had extra luck
  Good luck did not time out for you
  You are dead 

Spells known in the end
      Name               Level    Category     Fail
  a - light                  1    divination     0%

b - knock                  1    matter         0%
  c - detect treasure        4    divination     0%
  d - magic missile          2    attack         0%
  e - clairvoyance           3    divination     0%
  f - cure sickness          3    healing        0%

g - create monster         2    clerical       0%
  h - extra healing          3    healing        0%
  i - identify               3    divination     0%
  j - jumping                1    escape         0%
  k - slow monster           2    enchantment    0%

l - detect monsters        1    divination     0%
  m - dig                    5    matter         0%
  n - remove curse           3    clerical       0%
  o - healing                1    healing        0%
  p - charm monster          3    enchantment    0%

q - confuse monster        2*   enchantment    0%
  r - detect food            2    divination     0%
  s - invisibility           4*   escape         0%
  t - drain life             2    attack         0%
  u - cure blindness         2    healing        0%

v - stone to flesh         3    healing        0%
  w - restore ability        4*   healing        0%
  x - force bolt             1*   attack         0%
  y - sleep                  1*   enchantment    0%

Vanquished creatures
  Asmodeus
  Baalzebub
  Orcus
  Juiblex
  The Wizard of Yendor (8 times)
  a high priest
  5 mastodons
  Medusa
  Croesus
  8 krakens
  7 iron golems
  a ki-rin

11 storm giants
  8 glass golems
  4 balrogs
  The Minion of Huhetotl
  20 purple worms
  17 kobold zombies
  11 newts
  4015 creatures vanquished.

Voluntary challenges
  You genocided 6 types of monsters

You polymorphed 268 items
  You never changed form
  You used 7 wishes
  You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
  Fighting Skills
    two weapon combat  [Basic]
    riding             [Basic]

Weapon Skills
    dagger             [Basic]
    pick-axe           [Expert]
    long sword         [Basic]
    saber              [Expert]
    sling              [Basic]
    dart               [Basic]

whip               [Basic]
  Spellcasting Skills
    attack spells      [Basic]
    healing spells     [Basic]
    divination spells  [Expert]
    matter spells      [Basic]

Latest messages
  You hit it.

The potion misses it.
  The vial crashes on your head and breaks into shards.
  Something seems to be holding you.
  Pestilence reaches out, and you feel fever and chills.
  You feel deathly sick.
  Pestilence touches you!

You feel much worse.
  Pestilence touches you!
  You stagger...
  You feel much worse.

Pestilence touches you!
  The priest of Moloch casts a spell!
  The priest of Moloch summons insects!
  You feel much worse.
  Pestilence touches you!

You die from your illness.

Goodbye bort13 the Archeologist...
You were poisoned in The Astral Plane with 3122922 points,
and 675 pieces of gold, after 90638 moves.
Killer: Pestilence (with the Amulet)

You were level 30 with a maximum of 326 hit points when you were poisoned.

No  Points     Name                                                   Hp [max]

*      3122922  bort13-Arc-Hum-Mal-Law was poisoned on the Astral              

Plane.  Poisoned by Pestilence (with the Amulet).     201 [326]

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

I have somehow disabled drop messages and can't find a way to turn them on in the options. This doesn't bother me if I drop something because I know where it is, but when it's my pet it's another story.

What did I do? I really don't see it in the options or controls.

Check options (shift-O) for Verbose:True.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It could have been a cursed wand of death and exploded on the next zap.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I know that, I'm not saying that's odd. I'm saying that going through the mines and hitting 3 bones levels in two consecutive games is strange.

I seem to get fewer bones levels on NAO than I do playing standalone (protip: use Hearse). I'm assuming it's because they get slurped up pretty quickly by other players. I'm not complaining bitterly, just observing: it sucks to have that early level where I keep dying to the pack of large dogs (or Mariliths that some player polymorphed).

bort
Mar 13, 2003

code:
                       ----------
                      /          \
                     /    REST    \
                    /      IN      \
                   /     PEACE      \
                  /                  \
                  |      bort13      |
                  |      213 Au      |
                  |   petrified by   |
                  | trying to tin a  |
                  |    cockatrice    |
                  |  without gloves  |
                  |       2009       |
        _________)/\\_//(\/(/\)/\//\/|_)_______

bort
Mar 13, 2003

First ascension! :shobon: Only took me 18 years...:eng99: I always forget to elebereth

http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Borto/dumplog/1270389639.nh343.txt

bort
Mar 13, 2003

..btt posted:

Arcs are actually incredibly powerful from the mid-game(ish) onwards. #twoweapon with an artifact (pref Grayswandir) and a silver sabre just tears poo poo up. And they can cast some useful divination spells.
I've always loved the Arc because it's such a weak class that turns into such a powerhouse. It's been pretty much the only class I've played for years now. I think I'll move on to Rogues or Tourists or something. Detect Monster with high skill divination is like ESP that shows everything on the level. It's incredibly useful, I had it going nearly all the time. Mr. Right, you don't need to tell me about exercise. I have a whole workout routine that pretty much needs to happen for an Arc to survive.

Where the Arc is weakest: it's pretty easy to level up to 8 or so before you've found decent armor or a weapon. That leucrotta is coming and the Arc won't be ready!

Fun notes: The first two Archons the game generated were on my stash level and the level below. I charmed both of them and one had Sunsword and the other had Demonbane. Probably the worst beating I took the entire game was from the one with Demonbane when the Amulet ported me downstairs a few times and I took too long coming back up. He later got eaten by a trapper :lol:. Sunsword one got left behind on the plane of Water and had 280 HP or something. I was going to stick around and try to beef up my score some more but I figured I'd better finish the game before I found a way to screw it up. I was terrified that every one of the 54 cockatrices I killed was going to be turned into a weapon against me.

and yeah, been playing since 1992 or thereabouts. I think it was 3.0.3 (?) on these horrible terminals at school that had keyboards with a huge amount of finger resistance. Probably the start of tendonitis for me. I actually read the entire code of one of the 3.0.x releases before spoilers were widely available and organized.

bort fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 8, 2010

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Argon_Sloth posted:

hilarious song
tee hee! I agree. They do have the lowest high score of any class on alt.org, however (113 million).

quote:

If you're anything like me, your first ascension was a fluke where every thing went right from the early game, and just happened to avoid all the late game hazards by pure luck.
Like I said, this was 18 years in the making, I knew exactly what was going on. I hung around and polypiled gems, lingered in Gehennom with the Amulet attempting to get demons to gate in Demogorgon, etc. I have died on the astral plane several times before this. In short, I'm not anything like you.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Does this mean that it's pointless to sacrifice for it?
Yes

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Donraj posted:

I had no idea there was a way to avoid that.
I don't think there is. Having the Candelabrum doesn't change the warping.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Congrats, man! In only 5% of the time it took me to do it...

Arcs are fun like learning to play golf is. Endless failure and moments of pure joy.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Should I bless this wand of wishing before I start using it? I've got SDSM, a robe of protection, Excalibur, Magibane, a Silver Saber and Speed Boots already, after the charging scrolls what should I be wishing for?
No need to bless it, but make sure your Luck is positive because there's a teeny chance you'll not get a wish with negative luck. What to wish for ideas: http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Wishing#Early_single_wishes

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Next level of difficulty: carrot suicide

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Everybody complains about the mazes. I dig through a few walls and set up pathways. Then, using the underscore movement to go to stairways (< or >) is super quick.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

yaoi prophet posted:

Autoexplore lets you press a button to walk around an entire level and explore it, stopping when you see a monster/something else that the player should be notified of happens.

Throw in autofight and autostupidmistake and I could just walk away and let the game play itself.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You know, it can totally make my night when I hit the RNG lotto by getting a momentary chill from a red mold corpse.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Hm, early Arc is all about missile play, for me. I'll chip a statue or break up a boulder, put little piles of rocks around and bean baddies with 'em on the move. It's also part of my "workout regimen", where I'll push boulders, open and shut doors, kick them and monsters, untrap stuff, search out hidden corridors and secret doors. Early Arc needs every raise-able stat exercised and needs points quickly.

I'm about 50-50 on the mattock, it depends on how the game is going. It's always sort of a desperation move for me (can't find *anything* to fight with and my pickaxe isn't good enough any longer).

I played Arcs exclusively for years and have killed tons of early Arcs. It's the only class I've ascended, but that's mostly due to careless play and my tendency to take risks for fun. I also feel dirty when I use Elbereth, so I tend not to use it unless the RNG is being particularly hard on me.

I don't consider the Captain a reliable silver sabre source with a Lawful Arc. Too much danger in the early game, too much to lose mid-game, until the late game when I could pick it up but it's either a duplicate item or I've gone another path and the heck with Mine Town.

e: you got me interested in the Ranger. I hadn't thought about it but it's always been a problematic class for me, too.

bort fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 17, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Argon_Sloth posted:

You should also collect 8-10 daggers from the mines. Throwing them will get you through most of the early game. I usually don't touch my stack of +0 arrows until I can enchant them and merge them with my stack of +2 arrows. In general try to avoid relying too much on arrows in the early game. If you build up some luck, bless and enchant them to at least +2 they'll very rarely break. Also poison them as soon as possible for a lot of quick kills.
That's really good advice. Part of the problem I usually have is the arrows are so powerful in the early game that I'll level too quickly and be facing tough monsters before I'm ready.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Trasson posted:

And realized I'd forgotten the seven candles all the way back at my stash. On level 3.
This right here is how you play nethack!

Welcome to the big leagues, kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Erdos posted:

Every time there is a new burst of posts in this thread
It's not thread necromancy, this thread has amulets of life saving.

• Locked thread