Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Can someone explain how wand charges are displayed, I've had a quick look and nothing has turned up. Whats the difference between (1:0) and (0:13) for instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

How do you lot deal with the lack of aligned priests & altars, quite often I'll get an encouraging start but get stymied by not being able to donate at all, having to convert the altar. I've not gotten that far in NetHack yet so I don't know if there are a glut of altars/temples once you get past lvl 16 or something but it's the thing that always seems to trip me up at the moment.

Like at the moment, I have a cursed magic lamp which I want to bless so I can get a wish and lower my AC to get past the big room etc. I've converted an altar but all my subsequent sacrifices don't seem to be impressing my god - "you have a feeling of inadequacy" for the last 10 or so corpses i've offered. So i'm stuck hanging around waiting for my god to chill the gently caress out so i can make some holy water.

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Marvelous! I'm not sure what I did wrong, pretty sure I haven't eaten any pets in a while. Oh well, looks like I am going to have to hang around a bit more and wait for something worthwhile to spawn nearby.

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Is there a good source of these ascension summaries? I've read through these here http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Notable_ascensions but I'm less bothered about mad conduct ascensions. More instructional/entertaining if there are any?

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Rashomon posted:

I have a decent neutral priest going on my DS and have up to two potential wishes (magic lamps). I don't think any artifacts exist yet, and I'm thinking about wishing for the Staff of Aesculapius. However I am also thinking the Orb of Fate might be better. Thoughts?

What are the NetHack DS ports like? I can imagine using the stylus to control your character could lead to some costly mistakes?

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Do I have to carry the Orb of Fate (or similar artifacts) in my open inventory to get the half damage bonus or can it go in my BoH seeing as its so loving heavy.

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

Ok! after months of playing NetHack it finally looks like I might be able to ascend. So far I've never even got past the quest but this time I've made it down to lvl 22 without too much grief and I am getting antsy. Lvl 15 Valk, I've got GDSM(dropped from the only dragon I've seen this game), "oR(worn) & 2 "oLS, Speed boots, -23AC, #twoweaponing +2 Excalibur & +5 silver saber (mjollnir stashed as I've only got 18/99 str), 2 magic markers and some blank scrolls, blessed luckstone + extremely lucky, blessed unicorn horn, blessed BoH, blessed tinning kit, Orb of Fate, Poison cold fire resistances, telepathy, various wands including sleep & poly, plenty of holy water and a ring of invisibility.

What do I need to do to ensure I've not missed anything and I my soul wont be crushed?

I know I need levitation but i haven't found many rings at all yet...
Is my AC low enough?
Is it worth wishing for another weapon? =oL?
I havent found Ludios yet which when I previously cleared it out resulted in a massive haul of stuff, is it worthwhile searching for it exhaustively?
I've only got a 2 wands of digging and no pickaxe, is this going to be sufficient for the mazes & plane of earth?
I've not fixed any of my gear yet, how important is this?
Finally, not found any scrolls of genocide yet so there are still L's around (which i've never encountered before) should I risk writing it unknown? a wish?

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

McNerd posted:

Also notable: Ludios only has a certain probability of existing, IIRC. Searching for it has the potential to be a massive waste of time unless you're scrounging for vaults anyway. (Though I guess if you really needed dragon scale mail, that'd be another reason?)

Finding Ludios was primarily a way of getting a lot of drops to polypile into something useful like a levitation ring (although I have never managed to get anything decent from polypiling yet), I've already got GDSM so I guess it's not vital to find it.

Thanks for all the pointers Contra Duck, you've allayed my fears considerably. I'll press on and see how Gehennom works out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazerface
May 6, 2003

New question! I'm getting closer; poly'd some rings for levitation and I feel like i've got a solid ascension kit now. Genocided L's and mind flayers, got plenty of wands of digging.

Now I've got teleport control should I use the orb's levelport to go from the sanctum to the valley of dead or from there to back up to lvl1? I know Rodney chases you and fucks up your gear but does he do it from the sanctum to the end or will he be cursing me only part of the way?

• Locked thread