Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

JawnV6 posted:

How does a lock pick get rusty?

Fall in water I'd guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
This was weird: I was exploring one of the long corridors in the castle, where out of nowhere a death ray hits me. Luckily I had a cloak of MR :)

The weird part is that I kept walking up the corridor until I explored everything, without finding a wand of death, a black dragon, or anything else.

My only theory is that a soldier had the wand, fired it once on me, then quaffed a cursed potion of gain level? I've searched everywhere, and no explanation anywhere.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
I'm cruising towards mine's end on my ranger, XP 11 with -3 AC, nothing much identified, but I got my magic lamp, bag of holding full of potions of full healing and whatnot.

I round a corner, run into a winged loving gargoyle, who takes me down to 20 hp on the first turn. Oops. Hmm, options!

Figuring I don't have the time to pull a potion out, I decide on the next best thing, using my wand of digging to buy myself some time.

I then use it to dig down, instead of engraving E, which would have made sense.

You dig a pit in the ground. How convenient! You die.

Oh for fucks sake I'm stupid.
Yeah I was in mine's end, despite checking the gazetteer map earlier and not recognizing the maze level..

It would have been a stupid thing to do on any other level as well, since I'd probably would have landed on something nasty.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

McNerd posted:

But otherwise, with telepathy and a blindfold (which you can wear while playing with nurses), green molds are the only instakill you have to worry about, right?

L

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
I just ascended my first ranger, and I'm a little underwhelmed I guess.

Throwing a stack of daggers in the earlygame was great, but after getting mjolnir and the quest bow I dumped those. Then it took me something like 20k turns to get any identify, and I didn't get enchant weapon until way later, and had to blow tons of potions in alchemy before getting sickness, but I was all good to go.

I guess I wanted the bow thing to be better, but in the end I almost killed things as fast with my +0 mjolnir as I did with my +7 bow with 150 +7 blessed poisoned arrows. Add to that the fact that running around picking up the drat arrows was annoying, and my ranger felt more like a normal melee character.

Sure, instadeath with poison was nice and all, but it felt a little underwhelming overall.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
What the flying gently caress happened here?

I was cruising along on the ascension run with my paladin, riding my pimp dragon when this happened on the Juiblex level. My dragon is standing happily in the water right next to me.

I suck at riding apparently, did the incubus seduce my dragon, removing the saddle?
50k turns gone, gently caress.

Edit: Nice, bones in the water with a full ascension kit, I hope the character that gets there has wands of cold and object detection. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Greybone fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 15, 2009

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Ugh, that's one thing I was unsure about that I couldn't find in the spoilers - what, exactly, can you protect your pet from?

Reflection seemed to work against wands and black dragons, but where I just lucky? Also my dumb dragon got stoned by a cockatrice, so I assume those should always be jousted from afar. Foocubus I learned was bad the hard way, what about trappers/lurkers? Poly traps once I get MR?

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
So I guess the safety rules when riding would go something like:

- Don't get in close combat with C, as your mount will retaliate if they get hit
- Don't get hit by wands/disintegration rays unless your mount is a gray/silver/black dragon (?), as it's a 20% chance it will hit your mount instead of you
- Don't let your pet eat shapeshifter corpses
- Don't get in close combat with foocubus or nymphs as they can steal the saddle
- Don't ride into trappesr, lurkers or worms(?)

What about:
- Liches and destroy armor spells (saddle isn't armor I guess, but the mount is wearing it :) )
- Liches and touch of death?
- Slimes? Can your pet get slimed?
- Poison? Demogorgon/Pestilence?
- Polytraps?

Man, riding things sure is complicated :(

Greybone fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 16, 2009

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Sweeeeeeet, looks like Armstronger will pick up the dragonriding legacy of his predecessor!

Click here for the full 1057x970 image.

I just like to joust, what can I say :shrug:
Now if only I had some armor that was worthwhile enchanting..

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
gently caress tin openers

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Note to self: When gleefully finding the bones file of your previous knight in the middle of the water, after carefully making and using a scroll of earth, then finding a wand of cold for the middle and then digging down to get your fabled treasures, DON'T dig down twice.

Now to scour 3-4 levels for stuff, ugh.

Also you can get digested by purple worms, but you'll just get thrown off the mount.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Click here for the full 1680x957 image.

Ridiculously powerful - I hit the right altar first, and just decided to clear out the place since nothing could touch me or my reflectioned tamed ki-rin at all.

Or so I thought - Nibbles got killed despite me checking him every now and then, and I've no clue why, can pestilence hurt him? I never got him to pick up a unihorn :(

In addition to no monster ever touching you, you get stupidly powerful magic missiles, and all good spells at 50% failure or less.

Love the class :)

Edit:

I think I used one WoD charge on these fellows total:
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (9 times)
Death (4 times)
Pestilence (thrice)
Famine (5 times)
5 arch-liches

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Darth l33t posted:

Monsters don't get diseased, but remember that all the Riders do 8d8, 8d8 per attack, which will dispose of any monster quickly. Ki-rins don't have hands (they're basically angelic horses), so they can't use unihorns.

Why'd you erodeproof your gauntlets but not your robe?

I didn't find a corpse I could revive either, the whole thing was just weird :(
Riders didn't hit me at all, but a tourist with +4 frost brand did, still doesn't ki-rins always leave corpses?

For the robe, I picked it up later, and I couldn't be bothered, it was not like anything was touching me anyways :)

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Would it matter? Greater than ninety percent of the chuckleheads he'd fling it at have reflection.

The deathray hits you! But it reflects from your armor! The deathray hits death. The deathray bounces! The deathray hits death. The deathray hits you! But it reflects from your armor! The deathray hits death.

If he knew how to use it on himself, he'd keep healing himself with it :)

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

MarionetteOwl posted:

Quick question: If I mount a pony and run around the dungeon chopping poo poo up, will the pony level, or do I need to be unmounted for that?

The latter, see http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Knight or the riding page for details.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
I did my extinctionist in less than a week once during some hefty off-time with little to do.

Not recommended :(

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

McNerd posted:

Mind flayers are fun, I can vouch for that, and if you've never had one or died from a brain-sucking attack I'll tell you that it has the best message associated with it.

I agree to that part, but they also come with a pretty huge downside if you're going past the wizards tower on the way down and you're not prepared :)

He'll lock on to Rodneys telepathy - and wake him. Great if you're doing a speed run though, I guess?

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Same Great Paste posted:

How can a pacifist get out of a loving fog cloud in Sokoban?

I've got a magic whistle, but my god-drat dog won't attack the thing.

Edit : Nevermind, I got it.

How do you solve that? Teleport?

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Goodbye Evenzero the Demigod... (Chaotic Priest)

You and the giant beetle and Pestilence
went to your reward with 2606451 points,
Stormbringer (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)

and 0 pieces of gold, after 32356 moves.
You were level 25 with a maximum of 213 hit points when you ascended.

Even when I try to go fast I'm too cautious and slow :) This game had stupid luck, 2 /oW , magic lamp, speed boots, early fountain wish, so I should have been able to go much faster. Oh well.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Master lich ported in and touch of death'd me. Luckily, indeed, for me that it didn't work.

Where you keeping magicbane in your offhand? Does that count as wielded?

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Filburt Shellbach posted:

Genociding your original race and ascending while polymorphed has a neat effect. Try it and see.

I can't find any games with it, what is it? :)

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Why are people suddenly doing insane speedruns, did I miss a patch? :)

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Girl Drink Drunk posted:

So all I'm doing nowadays is diving to the castle to get the wishing wand so I can get the stuff to self-polymorph, which is cool as hell.

How do you get the actual wand at a stupid low level without dying?

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

..btt posted:

I remember thinking "if only it had been turn 1 that really would have been special" :)

Yup, it is :) TDTTOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Sacrificing an unicorn of your own alignment would do the same, I guess?

• Locked thread