Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ledge
Jun 10, 2003

I think ascii ends up easier to recognise things, particularly monsters, once you are used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I have a barbarian at level 12, just found the quest entrance in the big room. I skipped minetown though, couldn't find the entrance and just pushed ahead. Should I go back and look for it, use some wands of digging? I'm missing some essential tools (blindfold, boh, key), and my AC is a little higher than I'd like.

You can't dig to get to the mines as far as I am aware. You'll need to find the stairs, they will be somewhere.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I know I can't dig into the mines themselves. There are a few blank spots on dlvl 2-4, I meant to imply digging to those since a few hundred turns of searching all of the walls got me nothing. Sorry for the confusion.

I got reflection from soko, and found a luckstone elsewhere. What I'm really missing is the nice-to-have tools. Having to bash doors and force chests sucks.

Oh okay, in that case, you won't have to dig to find the entrance, searching will eventually find a passage to another room on one of the levels.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

Right, sure, yeah, but I'd rather just zap a few times into the spots on the map I know rooms could be rather than sit around watching the turn counter go up a few hundred again.

Fair enough, I'd rather save my digging wands for Elbereth and digging down through gehennom. But either is fine :)

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I've also gotten to the end of Sokoban to find an empty Elbereth square as my reward, before. The door was still shut and everything. And I'm pretty sure it was the Bag of Holding layout, so I don't think there's even any monster that would pick it up.

Elves and peaceful monsters (amongst other things) don't respect Elbereth so one of them probably took it.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

:what: Who does this? It is really not that hard. Also I thought you couldn't levelport with the amulet?

From waking the Wizard I think most people will levelport down the the vibrating square level if they can. Might save having to face the wizard an extra couple of times.

Also, I learnt just now that wielding a mirror does not reflect lightning.

Sigh.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

McNerd posted:

Same with me, but this is one reason I'll never be a championship Nethack player. To play a flawless game of Nethack requires this degree of patience in the face of extreme tediousness that I can't imagine stomaching. So if anybody wants to know how much they should use Elbereth, the correct answer is "As much as you can without putting a gun to your head." Or alternatively use my much-more-fun criterion: "When you're scared as poo poo."

Spamming Elbereth is much less tedious when it is bound to a single key stroke (hello interhack).

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Sartak posted:

Yes, obviously. I'm trying to figure how it happened.

Did you have #mb set with a silver saber in slot E? I guess that isn't sufficiently documented.

Interhack stuff insufficiently documented? You don't say.

:)

ledge fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 23, 2009

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Ledneh posted:

Is there any way at all to get that Portable Ubuntu stuff working on a 64 bit system? I really wanna use Interhack but everything I've seen so far says "nope, no can do" :(

Not at the moment. The work around is to install ubuntu in VirtualBox (or vmware but virtual box is free) then install interhack from there.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Contra Duck posted:

Yeah but being an atheist priest is so close to playing any other priest that it barely counts as a conduct.

That's like saying that a weaponless monk is so close to playing any other monk that it barely counts as a conduct.

Wait...

:smith:

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

McNerd posted:

Is the DevTeam still working? We've been on 3.4.3 since 2003; I assumed we'd never see another version.

I've had replies from the devs for the couple of bugs I've reported within the last year so they are still alive and vaguely interested at least.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

medibot posted:

So that's Val-Hum-Fem-Cha and Wiz-Elf-Mal-Law down. Any suggestions for my next attempt?

Weaponless vegan/vegetarian monk.

Just don't forget that wraith corpses break vegetarian conduct.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Argon_Sloth posted:

They also have a set of challenge patches. The introduce a new one every year. Essentially each challenge makes the game more broken until you complete a related task. Challenges only affect your play if accepted. They'll be offered to you when you encounter the aspect of the game they make more difficult.

Fixed that for you.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Contra Duck posted:

For anyone following the speed runs that have been done lately, I think this will be the final word: http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Maud/dumplog/1261121547.nh343.txt

Apparently it was from a minestown bones with an ascension kit. Considering it's not possible to be accepted on the quest until turn 2000, and the invocation ritual was performed on turn 2049, I'd say that this is about as fast as is possible.

How the loving gently caress do you go from being accepted on the quest to performing the invocation ritual in 49 turns?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

MadDuck posted:

I decided to try this game for the first time after reading this thread for so long, and reading everything in the readme and keeping the wiki by my side constantly.

I can't believe how mad it makes me when I'm kicking rear end left and right and getting fantastic loot and then all the sudden monsters stop showing up, I can't find any, I'm starting to starve, I can't pray again yet, I have no food, and in desperation I eat the first corpse I find and it poisons me and I die.

I just...I feel so cheated, man. Who the hell thought adding hunger and quick-to-rot-corpses would make a game fun. Games should be fun, right?

...Right? :smith:

It's so very odd, but I think you get to a point of playing that starvation never seems to become an issue. I can't remember the last time I had a character die due to starvation (or eating something poisonous out of desperation).

Actually looking on nao it was three and a half years ago.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

..btt posted:

I have no experience of VirtualBox, though, so for all I know it could be a lot more usable.

VirtualBox is pretty good, I use it at work and have used it for interhack. I did have an issue with window size and mouse visibility but finding a solution was pretty simple and worked. Other than that everything was very straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

victrix posted:

Wait... there's still a devteam of some sort working on this? I thought Nethack was 'complete' and long dead, with only variants still being developed.

As recently as 3 years ago I got a reply from a dev team member saying that a bug I discovered had been fixed as part of fixing another symptom of the same bug.

Also two years before that.

Of course people are still working on it. Just very, very slowly :)

• Locked thread