Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Insurrectum posted:

Yes it does.

Ok... which one's which? Would you mind actually explaining the difference instead of just tossing out an assertion?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

flatluigi posted:

What silly tileset is that?

The one linked in the OP as far as I know. The door diagonal thing was very annoying, I stick to ascii.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ToxicFrog posted:

The official Nethack tilesets distinguish correctly; look, for example, at the screenshot in the OP (the doorway near the player is empty, but there's at least two other open-door ones on the map). Vulture's also works.

I'm really not interested in using a tile set and feel increasingly retarded for discussing it, but isn't that because there's a wand on it?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

stubblyhead posted:

It is worth noting though that if you can unlock the door in some fashion, the shopkeeper doesn't mind and you can buy/steal to your heart's content.

Do you actually have to unlock the door or would it be fine to teleport in/out?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

:aaaaa:

See if you can guess what happens here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Crimsonjewfro posted:

I'm more baffled at how he got a cursed chickatrice corpse. Lich? Unholy water? Bones?

I had a game in wizard mode trying the "Closed For Inventory" teleport. The c's were wandering around, picked one up and got in a fight with a priest (who presumably cursed the corpse) before throwing it at the ceiling without a helmet.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I have a barbarian at level 12, just found the quest entrance in the big room. I skipped minetown though, couldn't find the entrance and just pushed ahead. Should I go back and look for it, use some wands of digging? I'm missing some essential tools (blindfold, boh, key), and my AC is a little higher than I'd like.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ledge posted:

You can't dig to get to the mines as far as I am aware. You'll need to find the stairs, they will be somewhere.

I know I can't dig into the mines themselves. There are a few blank spots on dlvl 2-4, I meant to imply digging to those since a few hundred turns of searching all of the walls got me nothing. Sorry for the confusion.

I got reflection from soko, and found a luckstone elsewhere. What I'm really missing is the nice-to-have tools. Having to bash doors and force chests sucks.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ledge posted:

Oh okay, in that case, you won't have to dig to find the entrance, searching will eventually find a passage to another room on one of the levels.
Right, sure, yeah, but I'd rather just zap a few times into the spots on the map I know rooms could be rather than sit around watching the turn counter go up a few hundred again.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
How does a lock pick get rusty?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SubG posted:

I've genocided woodchucks as many times as I've killed Demogorgon. But I really hate those fuckin' woodchucks.

Edit: dumplog

:raise: Spinachbane?

Also, ran into one of your bones files on NAO yesterday. Looked like a samurai who ran into a poisoned dart.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Did NAO recently make a change with bones files? My past few games have all hit multiple bones files, often with a few ghosts each. Am I just imagining things?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tyshalob posted:

It's possible to have a bones level where the previous player was also on a bones level and died.

I know that, I'm not saying that's odd. I'm saying that going through the mines and hitting 3 bones levels in two consecutive games is strange.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I thought most people polymorphed priests to make the killing easier?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
YAAP

code:
Jawn, chaotic male human Barbarian

A
                                   ---------D
                                 A |.......|
            -----                  |.......|
             ...|                  |..@@...|@
     ---------..--                 |.......|@
     |.......|...--             |  |..@@...|  |
     |.......|%%..---           |. ----.---- .|
     |..._.%.%%%%.)$% %         |...wA@V......|
     |.......|.%%.--- %% %      ---..t...A..---
     |.......|...-- -- $%%        -----|-----
     ---------..--   ----%--
             ...|          ------
            -----                |
                          ----   --   %
                             |  )%--    %
                              -- %%----|-

-------

Jawn the Reaver St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:14 Wi:17 Ch:11 Chaotic S:1697268
Astral Plane $:0  HP:177(204) Pw:58(58) AC:-39 Xp:19/2656656 T:49782

Your inventory
  Amulets
  l - an uncursed amulet of life saving
  m - an uncursed amulet of reflection (being worn)
  y - a cursed amulet of life saving
  Weapons
  J - the rustproof +6 Snickersnee (weapon in hand)
  L - a +2 silver saber (wielded in other hand)
  Armor
  g - a blessed fireproof +5 pair of speed boots (being worn)
  A - an uncursed +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
  B - a cursed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
  C - a blessed fireproof +4 robe (being worn)
  D - a blessed rustproof +4 helm of telepathy (being worn)
  F - a blessed rustproof +4 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
  Comestibles
  u - an uncursed food ration
  Spellbooks
  Q - the uncursed Book of the Dead
  Potions
  E - a cursed potion of full healing
  Rings
  i - a blessed ring of conflict (on left hand)
  q - a blessed ring of slow digestion
  x - an uncursed ring of free action (on right hand)
  H - a cursed ring of conflict
  P - an uncursed ring of levitation
  Wands
  c - a wand of teleportation (0:3)
  p - a wand of lightning (0:4)
  r - a cursed wand of lightning (0:8)
  w - a cursed wand of lightning (2:1)
  z - a blessed wand of digging (0:4)
  G - a wand of death (0:0)
  I - a wand of death (0:0)
  K - a wand of cancellation (0:3)
  Y - a wand of death (0:1)
  Tools
  a - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
  d - a +0 unicorn horn
  f - an uncursed blindfold
  h - a blessed bag of holding
  j - an uncursed lock pick
  k - a +0 unicorn horn
  s - an uncursed stethoscope
  t - a blessed magic marker (0:39)
  N - the cursed Bell of Opening (0:1)
  Gems
  n - the blessed Heart of Ahriman

Contents of the bag of holding:
  4688 gold pieces
  an uncursed amulet versus poison
  a blessed amulet of ESP
  an uncursed amulet of life saving
  an uncursed amulet of life saving
  an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
  the rustproof +6 Cleaver
  a +0 silver saber
  an uncursed tripe ration
scrolls...
  2 uncursed potions of extra healing
  a blessed potion of full healing
  2 uncursed potions of gain level
  an uncursed potion of blindness
  an uncursed potion of acid
  an uncursed potion of invisibility
  3 uncursed potions of extra healing
  an uncursed potion of gain energy
  2 uncursed potions of water
  an uncursed potion of gain ability
  6 uncursed potions of healing
  4 uncursed potions of full healing
  5 blessed diluted potions of gain level
  an uncursed diluted potion of booze
  a blessed potion of enlightenment
  a potion of unholy water
  2 uncursed potions of gain level
  a blessed diluted potion of full healing
  3 potions of holy water

Final attributes
  You were piously aligned
  Your alignment was  258
  You were fire resistant
  You were cold resistant
  You were sleep resistant
  You were disintegration-resistant
  You were poison resistant
  You were magic-protected
  You saw invisible
  You were telepathic
  You were stealthy
  You caused conflict
  You were protected
  You were very fast
  You had reflection
  You had free action
  You were wielding two weapons at once
  You were extremely lucky (13)
  You had extra luck
  Good luck did not time out for you
  You survived 

Vanquished creatures
  Orcus
  The Wizard of Yendor (6 times)
  Death
  Famine (twice)
  a high priest
  2 mastodons
  Medusa
  Croesus
  2440 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
  gremlins
  gargoyles
  winged gargoyles
  hobbits
  dwarves
  bugbears
  dwarf lords
  dwarf kings
  mind flayers
  master mind flayers
  liches
  demiliches
  master liches
  arch-liches
  rust monsters
  disenchanters
  soldiers (extinct)
  erinyes (extinct)
  jellyfish
  piranhas
  sharks
  giant eels
  electric eels
  krakens
  22 species genocided.
 2 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
  You genocided 22 types of monsters
  You polymorphed 866 items
  You changed form 1 time
  You used 5 wishes
  You did not wish for any artifacts
Found a magic marker in the mines, polypiled another, and found another in the Valley of the Dead. g got genocided because the castle and the second floor of the wizard tower got flooded with friendly ones, sick of seeing "Pardon me, g". edit: Also, nearly starved on the ascension run. Used the leviwish trick on Astral to get the ring of slow digestion.

Now I've put up a samurai, valkyrie, and barbarian, would caveman round out the stupid mindless bashers roles?

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 8, 2009

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

McNerd posted:

Combined with the ten commands or so it takes to disrobe and rearm every time, this is a ridiculous hassle (I usually skip some of those commands as well, for example not putting my T-shirt back on every single time).

A trick that I picked up from Gilder is to #adjust your final set of armor to ABCDEF, with the shirt at A, armor at B, cloak at C, so you can just hold shift and type WAWBWCWDWEWF to completely armor up without any thought required.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sartak posted:

Anyway, I don't want to lead the Interhack+TAEB project. I'm more than happy hacking on just the framework. I love adding cool debugging poo poo.

So.. any Perl hackers around? :twisted:

I do a lot of perl, but after finding a TAEB bot bones that was carrying nothing at all I'm a bit miffed :mad:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
How long do I stay as a dragon after a poly trap hits me with SDSM? I dug to escape Medusa's level where a Titan had cast Summon Nasties resulting in a few minotaurs. I think I could take out most of the trouble with the breath weapon, but I don't want to revert flying back over the water.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I went up and killed medusa, didn't try flying back over the water figuring I'd deal with that mess later.

Pressed onwards a few floors, got into a fight with a Captain and tried to dig my way out, landed in the castle and teleported him away. Then a purple L (my first) popped up next to me, sat on an E square for a while trying to figure out a way to deal with him. took out un-ided scroll which ended up being taming. Wrote a couple and tried to get him with no such luck. I was making my way towards the upstair to take him on there when he Summoned Nasties, leaving a Minotaur next to me. Still had a scroll of taming in my main inventory, I read it for shits and giggles.

My tame minotaur did a bang-up job killing the L that summoned him :3:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RoboBlaster posted:

That was a good way of making the best of a bad situation. Some of my ultimately best games had a point somewhere toward the beginning where I was really close to giving up during a nasty predicament.

I've normally geno'd h and L and only had to deal with a few, this was my first protracted fight with one (who incidentally summoned a master mind flayer next to me). And I'm still stupidly happy that I killed the thing.

I've had some time to dive into the source and poked around at it, trying to tame the L was really stupid since it has ~90% chance to resist. Also should've read the taming scrolls while confused, it affects a 11x11 square around you with no other effects, could've gotten a few of the xorns in the castle wall near me. The upshot is that now I know Minotaurs have MR 0 and can always be tamed, offering another escape from those.

edit: He wasn't dead, had just escaped upstairs. Died assaulting the castle. gently caress nethack.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 24, 2009

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BARON BONGHITS posted:

Not that it matters now but as a side note silver dragons breathe cold you could've just frozen the water to not worry about polymorphing back in midair over it :shobon:

:suicide:

Just when I think I've got a handle on the various escape items available and how to move around something basic like this... eugh.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I was trying this out in wizard mode, but what's supposed to happen when I'm wearing SDSM and I step on a polymorph trap when Silver Dragons are genocided?

It printed out: "You feel rather silver dragon-ish." Is that a result of being in wizard mode or is this one thing that won't just outright kill you?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
YAAP: http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Jawn/dumplog/1240644908.nh343.txt

I had been trying cavemen, accidentally hit random role and wound up ascending the barbarian that popped up. Only genocided L, had a written a couple of scrolls to spare but held back. Next time I'm definitely bringing enough gold detection/booze to locate all of the portals without having to play hot/cold with the Amulet, Plane of Fire was stupidly annoying with conflict on.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BARON BONGHITS posted:

Plane of fire is way more bearable if you turn off sparkles in the options, in case you don't already know :shobon:

I had that turned off, it was the dozens of messages telling me about fire elementals and how they felt a little warm before hitting the other fire elemental who also felt a little warm! Pretty sure a "the fire elemental disappears" slipped by me, because when I got within a square the magic portal was ID'd for me.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ogmius815 posted:

Seriously secret doors are the dumbest poo poo in the universe and the #1 factor that takes away fun from the game. I can't tell you how many times I have known almost for sure that there was a secret door on a given wall and had to pace up and down it searching every step for sometimes hundreds of turns before I found it. Beyond that I'm convinced I am missing rooms on like a quarter of the floors I pass and I hate that feeling. The game would be a lot more fun if there were no secret doors or hallways.

This mostly only applies to the early game though. This is one reason why I, in a departure from popular opinion, consider the early game to be one of the least interesting parts of the game).

Go Neutral, make your first wish Blessed Eyes of the Overworld. Won't show you secret doors, but it's stupidly easy to figure out where they are when you can see the hallway on the other side.

And if the beginning isn't interesting, what is?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
On my first ascension I lost the Bell of Opening. I had dropped it while polypiling and managing a stash, not really knowing the importance of it at the time. I raced around trying to find it and was eventually convinced that I had polymorphed it into something else, until someone watching me told me that was impossible and I searched my stashes.

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

Yeah I've had the old exploding bag a few times now but I don't remember that happening last night and my health is a bit too high for it, similarly I killed all the nymphs running around sokoban and none of them had it. Probably lost it somewhere, still nothing there that I planned on using any time soon, just gonna hope I find another one soon.

The obvious answer is that a nymph put a wand of cancellation into the bag.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
YASD, I really need to stop playing 'a few turns' before work in the morning. I had a priest that had a shield of reflection and GDSM on dlvl1. Had a few close calls on a Minetown bones file that had already killed a couple people but finally lost him this morning to a energy vortex. Had a wand of teleport and could've escaped just fine, but I went for one more hit like an idiot.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Argon_Sloth posted:

Energy/Ice vorticies are made dangerous by their passive attack (the damage you take when you hit them in melee). Stick to ranged attacks and you'll be fine. Throwing your weapon works pretty well, because it always lands at your feet.

I was inside of it, do you really not take damage if you just . through it?

:suicide:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

That's just sick...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rapacity posted:

Blindness has been my downfall too many times now. I've killed my pet, hit a guard and set minetown on me, been stolen from by loving monkeys until I'm punching BLIND, the list goes on. As for eyes, it's pure luck as to where they pop up and I've only got it once in 20 or so games before the mines.

Stand in place and search when blind, maybe retreat into a hallway to allow fewer creatures around you. When an I pops up, either use a stethoscope to see what it is, #chat to it, or just wait for it to hit you before attacking anything.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I have a local priest going, he's doing significatnly better than I expected. Cleared out the mines without much problem and on the Oracle level I hit a level teleport trap, found a random ring and put it on, then hit another. The ring must have been teleport control, as it's asking me what level I want to go to. Can I specify some very low level and turn this into a poor man's Dig for Victory? I'm at clvl10, AC -3, no permanent source of Elbereth, so I really don't think I'm fully equipped for it, but is it worth a shot?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Went to 25, it was a maze level. Got smacked around by a Minotaur, teleported him away once but he got me the second time.

Good times :v:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

McNerd posted:

Yeah, you didn't even remotely stand a chance. I wouldn't have thrown away a promising character like this:

As I understand DFV isn't a good strategy, it's a long shot that might be pretty entertaining. It was 4 PM on the afternoon before a 3 day weekend. I wasn't exactly going for an ascension.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

factorialite posted:

Is it possible that the storekeeper turned to stone?
He still talks to me and stuff, by the way.
Stone doesn't talk?

Was it a bones file? Shopkeepers stay mad if they've been robbed, there's some phrase they'll say like "can't be paid back in money, just blood". Otherwise try waiting on a different square in the store?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

quote:

The gnome lord reads a scroll labeled VE FORBRYDERNE!
The ceiling rumbles above the gnome lord!
The kitten is hit by a boulder!
The gnome lord is hit by a boulder!
The gnome lord is killed.
You are hit by a boulder!
You die...

Stupid Gnomes with scrolls of earth..

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
For anyone with an iPhone, Dirk Zimmermann just released iNetHack for free. I'm getting started with it and there are a few annoyances (tiles :argh:), but overall it's nethack-to-go.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Darth l33t posted:

Link just takes me to a download for iTunes.

I'm not sure how iPhone apps access data, but would it be feasible to implement a NAO-esque shared bones repository? Because that would be awesome.

It's a link to the game's page on the iTunes store. Here's the TouchArcade article on it, w/ picture for those curious.

iPhone apps can hit up URL's, I'm sure that you could work out a system to swap bones files around. Whether the developer's willing to put in that effort is another matter entirely, for a free game I doubt it. Right now I'd be happy to get (a)pply on one of the main buttons, I have a magic whistle and bag that are just a pain to use.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ThaGhettoJew posted:

If it weren't for spoilers and the internet NH community, I wouldn't even know it existed.

I'm pretty sure you could get to the end of Sokoban without spoilers?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Xir posted:

I took this game slow, reading the status messages and not holding down the direction keys.

You shouldn't be holding down the direction keys anyway. Shift-move works if you're using the vi keys, there should be an equivalent for the num pad.

I've got a post-quest caveman ready to go, probably try to ascend him tonight if nothing stops me. Last decent game I had died on Astral after 3 escape efforts failed in a row, the final blow being zapping Famine with a teleport and having him end up right next to me :v: I'll be a little overprepared this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I ascended a Caveman over the weekend, so I've put up the melee roles (barbarian, caveman, samurai, valkyrie). Only used 3 wishes (speed boots, shield of reflection, gauntlets of power) and I found speed boots/GoP/"oR later so I think I could've gone wishless.

The stupidest mistake was lacking Fire resistance. After a certain point I just assume I have all my resistances. In Gehennom I saw I'd lost ~10 max HP, enlightenment told me that I didn't have it yet. Got crowned just to make sure I had everything covered after that.

Now I think I'm going for a Priest.

• Locked thread