Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~
It's easier to cram more information into an ascii character than a tiny 16x16 sprite, so playing in ascii really is easier and faster once you get used to it. Plus, the hardcore factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~

JawnV6 posted:

I have a barbarian at level 12, just found the quest entrance in the big room. I skipped minetown though, couldn't find the entrance and just pushed ahead. Should I go back and look for it, use some wands of digging? I'm missing some essential tools (blindfold, boh, key), and my AC is a little higher than I'd like.
Yeah, go back for it. There's something like a 1/5 chance for the lighting store to have at least one magic lamp, and that'd solve the BoH problem (you've already done Sokoban, right?)

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

flatluigi posted:

Yes.
Startscumming aint scumming

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Tyshalob posted:

This local game Wizard is doomed to failure. First sacrifice I get Magicbane, and then two sacrifices later I get Orcrist (which is pretty useless but whatever). :shobon:

edit: Yep. One floor down and a dip results in snakes and the fountain didn't dry. Death by snake.
'Don't dip until snakes aint no thang' is a really good rule of thumb and definitely one to apply to any promising characters

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

17 seperate wishes for "blese" ahahahahaha

457 2 0.006 dragon scale male
458 2 0.006 dunce cap

BARON BONGHITS fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 13, 2009

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Ham Pants posted:

This is probably the most dissappointing death I've had yet:
code:
  3      30608  Girlness-Val-Hum-Fem-Law choked on her food in
                Sokoban on level 4 [max 11].  Choked on a tin of
                spinach.
:saddowns:

I had +4 Gray Dragon Scale Mail, +3 Excalibur, a +3 Small Shield, a wand of death, a wand each of fire and lightning, and enough lembas wafers to last me for the rest of the game. :(
What are you retarded or something? Why would you eat a tin, which won't go bad, when stuffed?

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

I've normally geno'd h and L and only had to deal with a few, this was my first protracted fight with one (who incidentally summoned a master mind flayer next to me). And I'm still stupidly happy that I killed the thing.

I've had some time to dive into the source and poked around at it, trying to tame the L was really stupid since it has ~90% chance to resist. Also should've read the taming scrolls while confused, it affects a 11x11 square around you with no other effects, could've gotten a few of the xorns in the castle wall near me. The upshot is that now I know Minotaurs have MR 0 and can always be tamed, offering another escape from those.

edit: He wasn't dead, had just escaped upstairs. Died assaulting the castle. gently caress nethack.
Not that it matters now but as a side note silver dragons breathe cold you could've just frozen the water to not worry about polymorphing back in midair over it :shobon:

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

YAAP: http://alt.org/nethack/userdata/Jawn/dumplog/1240644908.nh343.txt

I had been trying cavemen, accidentally hit random role and wound up ascending the barbarian that popped up. Only genocided L, had a written a couple of scrolls to spare but held back. Next time I'm definitely bringing enough gold detection/booze to locate all of the portals without having to play hot/cold with the Amulet, Plane of Fire was stupidly annoying with conflict on.
Plane of fire is way more bearable if you turn off sparkles in the options, in case you don't already know :shobon:

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

I had that turned off, it was the dozens of messages telling me about fire elementals and how they felt a little warm before hitting the other fire elemental who also felt a little warm! Pretty sure a "the fire elemental disappears" slipped by me, because when I got within a square the magic portal was ID'd for me.
Hold down space after every turn?

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

If any of the books are cursed you could keep reading it until you got a teleport (still works on no-tele, doesn't it?) as one of the random bad effects. It could leave you paralyzed next to a minotaur but just put on an AoLS first and you'll be fine.

Oh, I checked and its not even paralysis, just confusion, and you only need a level 1 cursed spellbook for a chance of getting the teleport. You got any other books you know are cursed?

BARON BONGHITS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 25, 2009

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Ok, from testing in wizard mode, dropping most of your stuff and praying to Moloch will often curse your poo poo, eventually giving you a cursed bell of opening you can summon a nymph with. You could encounter god knows how many disintegration rays on the way, though, and with only one AoLS, well..

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

bavid posted:

The wizard of yendor came back finally. I figured he'd be my chance at cursing the bell, so I was about to put it on. Before I did so, I was removing all my other amulets and armor so they wouldn't get cursed and stuck on me (figuring that I'll want to drop them once I get a nymph summoned so they dont get stolen before the ring)

"You were wearing an uncursed towel.
You can see again.
It hits!
It stole a silver bell!"

I didn't know he could do that.
Oh jeez, I think you're about as hosed as they come, now :|

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ImJasonH posted:

What application was it? I tried one and NAO was incomprehensible, even to watch games.

If you can watch games, I can't imagine playing would be much harder, as long as you're used to hjkl.
Maybe you have to set it to IBM graphics?

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

:spergin: No other word for it

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

McNerd posted:

What's impressive about it is that it's not his highest score, by a factor of 10.

Also I want the story behind this:
That one's a bit more interesting and a lot more stylish (overexertion is loving to death. loving to death on the astral plane altar.) http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/beddbbf83d4a369d?pli=1

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Rashomon posted:

I have a decent neutral priest going on my DS and have up to two potential wishes (magic lamps). I don't think any artifacts exist yet, and I'm thinking about wishing for the Staff of Aesculapius. However I am also thinking the Orb of Fate might be better. Thoughts?
Get the staff which'll let you three-hit level drain kill nearly everything before Gehennom, rush to the castle WoW without doing the quest to hold off generating the Mitre, wish for the Orb and whatever else then?

The staff is really nice I don't know why more people don't wish for it over frostbrand. Sure it won't be as good in Gehennom but it is baller as all get out in the planes.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

McNerd posted:

Well, obviously not if they're not Neutral. I don't really agree though. If you can handle Gehennom (which is to say, named demons) the planes aren't that bad; the Riders are the worst thing there and they're resistant too IIRC. I don't recall if A and/or Astral priests are resistant, which would make the staff complete crap on the planes except for air elementals.

You're missing out. It gets you some fun situations you wouldn't otherwise see. Have fun!
The only things with drain resistance are demons, undead, and Death, off the top of my head. It works on Famine and Pestilence. Three or four hits to kill an Archon is hella sweet the staff is hella sweet as a weapon, and the immunity to drain yourself along with hungerless regen and the baller rear end invoke effect are gravy.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

Does NAO ban certain ISPs? I get connection refused when I try to telnet in, both with the regular OSX telnet client and the java telnet applet on the NAO front page.

e: Looks like it's my ISP that's blocking all telnet traffic

Thanks!
\/\/\/\/\/\/
There are a bunch of SSH servers around v:shobon:v

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Cholfo posted:

You're both leaving out a generous lather of "luck." Spoilers and good thinking can win a game for you, sure, but that blessed magic lamp in mine town that gives you dragon scale sure doesn't hurt, or those speed boots that spawn on D2. Little poo poo like that happens fairly often, the victory comes from knowing how to take advantage of it. I'm pretty sure most first ascensions happen because of an early awesome item.

Frequent ascensions do come from learning that the +2 ring of protection you ditched two levels ago will take care of that bones'd vampire lord, and putting enough thought into it to not step off of your burned E though.
I know my first ascension came from reading the spoilers about polypiling and then spending 20 thousand turns after writing a book of polymorph making a silly overkill ascension kit v:shobon:v

Luck is a big deal but I'd wager an unlucky but more spoilered and knowledgeable player will ascend more often than a less spoilered, but luckier player.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Ditch the mount. Your stats alone are already hella overkill, and drowning from having a mount die over water or something is just another YASD waiting to happen - play it safe and use a ring when you need to fly.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Nothing at all happens on a level you aren't currently on. (Except obviously stuff climbing on to it / dropping in to it from the level you're currently on)

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Rapacity posted:

Does anyone get excited about ascending? Really, I have already said that I ascended after only playing for about 5 days and 3 of those were on the one character. I'll totally admit to spoilering my self out of the rear end but the game has inbuilt spoilers and if you want to play the same game for a year you'd get them all.

Bleh, I've said all I need to say about it. Great game for the first few levels. Pointless game afterwards. It's a real pity because there's so much depth totally thrown out of the window.
That's the idea. The oracle is an in-game spoiler source so that a single player could build up a personal library of knowledge from death to death until a triumphant ascension. There wasn't any one compendium of every spoiler ever in 1990, and it's really stupid to bitch about it being too easy massively spoilered to get a vanilla ascension when that is entirely something you take on yourself.

It's like looking through the source to find out exactly how it works and then complaining about having that knowledge.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Sartak posted:

Here we go, complete inventory on ascension here:

Mmm mm.
Goddamn that's a lot of AoLS. Find a /oW or what?

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Contra Duck posted:

The confusion is probably around the murder rules. Murdering humans is bad, sacrificing your own race is bad. You can happily murder all the gnomes you want if you're a gnome (if you don't care about the small alignment penalty) but think twice before you sacrifice the corpse.
Don't eat em either! (Usually)

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Crimsonjewfro posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around my last YASD...
Like Sartak I decided to play another SLASH'EM necromancer (human, though) and had just arrived at the mall level. My ghoul was inside a shop (past the door), blocking the entrance while stupidly attacking the shopkeeper. On the panel below the ghoul there's a mugger. I couldn't reach him and he couldn't reach me either. Also, he was wielding a two-handed sword that posed a serious threat to my life, so I decided to cast drain life on him, while making sure the shopkeeper was not on the line of fire (he's to the right of the ghoul). I cast it and killed the mugger but for no apparent reason I got called a thief, the shopkeeper got pissed off and all the guards came after me. Wtf?!
Is it possible drain life works like in vanilla Nethack and will drain the enchantment of an item on the ground in the path?

Cause that seems like it could've done it.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The majority of the time I die because something beat me until I was dead. I've never even done a quest, I've never gotten to level 15 so I never get able to. Am I supposed to just like, run circles around a level killing things until I hit level 15 or something?

How on earth does anyone ever amass enough scrolls to get their AC that far down? Mine tends to hover around -10 at the lowest.
Play a wizard I guess?? If you can reliably make it to the midgame wherein they get magicbane and just start rolling around destroying poo poo on an ever-growing power scales, wizards are pretty hard to die with.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Arc-Gno-Mal-Neu as a stepping stone to tourists! It has a remarkably easy time of the prot racket (most mines friendly, can dig out vaults/gems and ID gems)

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

zenless posted:

Nooooo:
killed by a fall onto poison spikes
Seriously this game is so cruel. Level 8. Got lycanthropy, then got that cured. Was going back to the mines to go down to minetown with my pet rock troll and fell into a trap..
If it helps I once had that happen to me on the quest level as a wizard when I'd found a wand of wishing on like dlvl 3 and was looking ready to ascend in < 9-10k turns (I'm normally pretty slow so that would be fantastic for me even though it's nowhere near the record)

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

JAssassin posted:

Just out of curiosity, is it blasphemy for a wizard to ascend without using Magicbane as his primary weapon?
Noway! I ascended wizards all the time w/ the staff of aesculapius, I like how it drains everything on astral (and the invoke).

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Mr Right posted:

NAO is down so I can't check for sure. I'm at ~Dlvl 13 with my AC at 4. So I am well past Sokoban. I've got enough wands to ensure I can just teleport Minotaur's away so after I grab another weapon I'll just go to the castle.

An extra +1d6 is better than just having my base at 1d6 which was what my regular axe was.

I'm not sure how much worse the pick-axe at skilled v Cleaver at expert would be but I'm still going for Cleaver. Until then I'll go grab two regular axe I think. After the castle I'll come back and kill the the Watch Guard Captain to see if he has a silver saber. Then I'll dual wield it with some other artefact. That's the plan at this stage anyway.
Aghhhhhh Jesus nooooo I came back to NAO because ancardia.ath.cx was down ffffffffffff this is the most intense roguelike frustration.

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Ways to ruin a really good pacifist run:
- grid bugs
- newts
- having no source of levitation when you get all the way down to Medusa's island with an archon pet wielding a +7 grayswandir and -30 AC and accidentally kill a fuckken fish or something crossing :dealwithit:

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

Some of the deaths farther down the list are pretty good too
code:
Latest messages
  The Angel of Moloch hits!
  The Angel of Moloch misses.
  The Angel of Moloch casts a spell at you!
  You are hit by a shower of missiles!
  The missiles bounce off!
  "Run away!  Live to flee another day!"
  The priestess of Moloch hits!
  The priestess of Moloch kicks!
  You hit the Angel of Moloch.
  You kill the Angel of Moloch!
  The soldier ant misses.
  The soldier ant misses.
  Vorpal Blade decapitates you!
  You die...
  But wait...
  Your medallion feels warm!
  You feel much better!
  The medallion crumbles to dust!
  Vorpal Blade decapitates you!
  You die...

Farvel Illing the Valkyrie...
:xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Ahahaha I'm so dead.

EDIT: Yup, that didn't take long.
One time I had a tourist generate standing on top of Mjollnir on the escape stairs

• Locked thread