Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop
Bill Maher travels around the world meeting members of various religions and verbally ripping their crazier members/tenets to shreds. Larry Charles (of Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm fame) directs. Among the places he visits include Salt Lake City, Utah, the Vatican, Jerusalem and Mecca, to interview Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Jews For Jesus, Evangelical Christians, a mob of rednecks in a Georgia 'Trucker's Chapel', and Mormons, while also managing to poke a little fun at Scientologists. The dvd extras include interviews with a crazy guy I didn't recognize who claimed his spirit shared two bodies at the same time, and a bunch of Raelians, among other monologues, deleted scenes, and a commentary for the movie.

The main thing I can say about this movie is that its extremely one sided. Bill Maher is a well known atheist, and although his monologues, interviews, and general dialog are all very funny, its very, very clear that he didn't go into making this movie with any sensitivity towards anyone's religious beliefs, and his view is biased to the point that the movie portrays no other point of view but his. Still he makes some very good points, which are useful if you make even a casual habit of arguing with religious people.

Other nitpicks: it would have been interesting to see him tear up a couple of other crazy religions like Wicca, or some other pagan faiths. He doesn't touch Buddhism, Hinduism, or Shintoism at all.

Summary: I expected the movie to pick up the usual crazies, but I also expected it to go out and find some genuine people from a few faiths and talk to them as well. It made no such attempt, instead showcasing only the worst and craziest the major, and a few non-major, religions have to offer without exception (although the Catholic priest that he got to talk seemed relatively sane).

The movie ends attempting to make the point, that religion is a dangerous thing responsible for the potential destruction of the human race.

2.5 for being funny
1.0 for having good arguments

3.5/5.0

Satone fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
4/5

I just watched this movie for probably the 8th time tonight and I think it raises some very valid arguments.

The interview with the Ex-Jew for Jesus is absolutely hilarious, and I can't help but agree with everything Bill Maher was pointing out.

The monologues are very interesting, and if you pick up or rent the DVD, be sure to check out the extra monologues in the special features section for more of his "rants".

Overall a great documentary and a very accessible religious documentary.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Religulous is a difficult movie to review in that it was very much made for a particular audience. Maher is condescending towards those who disagree with him about anything, and this movie is no exception.

Is the movie unfair? I'm not so sure that it is. He doesn't really talk to anyone who is more moderate about their faith, though when put to task, I don't see how their arguments would have been any different as to why they follow one belief over another (or at all). Maher probably should have included more moderates in the film to make this point, though. As it is, I think a lot of the moderate faithful that will see this film will write off those he does interview as (to quote the OP) "crazies."

It's a comedic documentary about a very polarizing subject. If you're an atheist or feel that religion is silly, you'll get a laugh out of it. If you disagree with those things, you'll probably just be offended.

Also, Bill Maher isn't an atheist. His beef is with organized religion. In his own words...

Bill Maher posted:

I'm not an atheist. There's a really big difference between an atheist and someone who just doesn't believe in religion. Religion to me is a bureaucracy between man and God that I don't need. But I'm not an atheist, no. I believe there's some force. If you want to call it God... I don't believe God is a single parent who writes book

3/5 - it's funny, but if you're looking for a serious discussion about religion you'd probably be better off watching a Sam Harris video for free online.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 4, 2009

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
It is hard to classify this as a documentary. Bill Maher does a great job serving great comedy, with the occasional monologue on a serious subject, but too much time is spent with him interviewing less reflected people.
Many of the interviews are very memorable, due to the eccentric persons Bill Maher found; A maverick (as Maher put it) catholic priest was instantly lovable.

As mentioned, most of the interviewed are not that reflected, and that may be the intentions - the target audience is very obvious. As an atheist myself, I was hooked to the sheer ignorance I witnessed at many points, but also Bill Maher seemed a bit unknowing. At one point, he spat out a burst of factual errors regarding Krishna and some egyptian gods, saying they were born the same date as Jesus.

Besides that, this movie is entertaining, and is primarily a dagger in the back of ignorance and organized religion.

4/5

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
For my review I should first state that I am agnostic.

Religulous is a mocumentary at heart despite it's use of real people. Bill Mayhar goes out of his way to find people so devoid of any kind of ability to defend their faith the movie seems like a straw man argument with a bit of polish of impartialism. The movie reeks of a one sided smugness that hampers my ability to enjoy it.

However, the arguments presented are ones that I agree with. So it ends up making the movie into a jerk off session for those who hate religion of all forms and consider anyone and everyone who follows one dumb as a box of hammers, and worthy of our scorn.

Plus I can't get the fact out of my mind that Bill, a guy who disputes germ theory, wants us to call other people crazy for their beliefs.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
This documentary is really hard to rate in my opinion. I would say how good or bad it is completely depends on the views of the viewer. If you are religious and lived in some kinda bubble of never facing opposing view points I guess this documentary could be eye opening. On the other hand if you are an atheist/agnostis this movie could provide some comedy value in form of crazy people. But other than that I just don't see Maher really bringing anything new to the conversation. Very basic arguments about a debate that can never really be resolved.

3/5