Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jabronie posted:

Also, id recommend commercial grade receptacles for any outlet that’s being plugged into a lot such as spots for vacuums or kitchen appliances. They’ll cost a little more but the springs will last longer.

Are you talking about the tamper resistant springs in particular?

I think I've personally been using them for some time because they're also just easier to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you talking about the tamper resistant springs in particular?

I think I've personally been using them for some time because they're also just easier to work with.

Tamper resistant or receptacles with TR stamped on them are just plastic shutters at the plug so a child doesn't stick a knife into a live conductor slot.
Commercial grade receptacles have a better grip over time so plugs won't fall out.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Commercial grade switches too. They have a good snap so you really turned them the gently caress off.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

corgski posted:

No, AFCI/CAFCI breakers do not include any GFCI protection whatsoever. AFCIs only trip on parallel arcs (intermittent shorts to netural/ground with arcing,) CAFCIs trip on parallel and series arcs (loose connections inline in a circuit.) Any modern "AFCI" breaker on the market is going to be a CAFCI.

You must use CAFCI+GFCI breakers (sometimes also called DFCI or "Dual Function") if you want protection for both arc faults and ground faults in your panel. This includes on any circuits where you have no equipment ground and you're using the GFCI method of bringing them up to code.

E:

You're describing dual function/DFCI, CAFCI has never meant ground fault protection.

kid sinister posted:

It is. Decades ago there were two types of AFCI breakers before they were combined into one. Then on top of that, there are dual function breakers, which add the two types of AFCI to GFCI.

Confused yet?

I sure am! But many thanks to both of you for pointing this out, I had assumed Combination was the same thing as Dual Function so you've dun gosh-darned larned me something today.

But it turns out I was correct in thinking that my breakers performed both functions as I installed the Square D PAFGF series - it's just that I should have referred to them as CAFCI / DF breakers, not solely CAFCI. (Slight oddity - I thought GFCI was supposed to trip at 5 mA and these say they trip at 6 mA).

I will never get over Schneider's insane MSRP vs street price - I bought these for around $35 each and that page lists them at $326.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 24, 2024