Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any electricians here (espicially from PA)? I have a very quick question...

I live in Pennsylvania and have 100 amp service with a 20 circuit box.

The box is completely filled with breakers and a couple of breakers are doubled or even tripled up. (eg. two bedrooms connected to one circuit, etc)

However, I have gas heat for the entire house except for one recently finished room in the basement (which uses electric baseboard heat).

I've had electricians come to the house but I'm getting two different stories:

1) Some say they can install 30 circuit box and I can keep my 100 amp service which is completely big for me.

2) Others say you must upgrade to 200 amp service if I want a bigger box.

Does anybody know the truth behind either of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

How can I install an additional outlet in a finished house?

Right now my computer room has one outlet with about a hundred things plugged into it and I'd like to add two more outlets and possibly put them on their own circuits.

The walls in the house are sheetrock (I think), in case that matters...

Also, where could I get information on those whole-house surge protection devices? Is it something I could install myself?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I have access to the basement underneath the room I want to add outlets and I've already run some cat 5 wires through the floor so that shouldn't be a problem.

I also don't think there is insulation in the wall.

However, don't outlet boxes need to be attached to a stud or something like that? If so, how do you attach the box because you will only have a little hole exposed for the outlet itself, right? (plus the cover of course)