Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
well seeing how I have the duke on two different consoles and have painkiller already, I'm going to try out RotT, thanks for the input.

EDIT:wow, I did not realize how dated this game is. oh well, $6 ($9 after currency conversion) isn't too bad. the moral of the story is "always bet on duke".

The Skeep fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Blodskur posted:

It seems you have to pay $20 to join that site. I'd rather spend that on GOG directly.

Ohh, yeah, the ECA site. I thought you meant Twitter for a second.

The Skeep posted:

EDIT:wow, I did not realize how dated this game is. oh well, $6 ($9 after currency conversion) isn't too bad.

Try the WinROTTGL for Windows which allows you to run it at 1280x1024 as well as some extra options before you write it off. It really is a great game, and isn't "just another shooter" like so many other FPSes.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 7, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The GoG Team posted:

Next Tuesday will bring Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and a new publisher!

So...any ideas on who the new publisher will be? No new clues on Twitter like they did with Apogee. In any case, I'll poo poo a brick if it's any one of these: Raven Software, LucasArts, EA, Sierra, or Microsoft (their classic stuff). We really need those.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
I hope it's ValuSoft so we can play all their quality titles.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sierra would be aces. I have a copy of the QFG collection and I still can't get either the DOS or Windows version of 4 working properly in XP. John Rhys-Davies :(

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh my God they have Patrician 3. I always thought that was a pretty obscure little trading game, nice to know I am not alone in my love for it. :shobon:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Awesome. Just bought Stonekeep, which I loved when I was younger. If the old Fallouts work on modern systems through this, without all that black screening crap, then I may just pick those up too.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Pandaman posted:

Awesome. Just bought Stonekeep, which I loved when I was younger. If the old Fallouts work on modern systems through this, without all that black screening crap, then I may just pick those up too.

Fallout 2 works perfectly on my WinXP Macbook =)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've never hard the fallouts not work on modern systems. I didn't even know that people had so much trouble with them. They even worked on Vista without patching for me.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've never hard the fallouts not work on modern systems. I didn't even know that people had so much trouble with them. They even worked on Vista without patching for me.
Well working is one thing, glitch free is another. I still get the rainbow graphics every once in a while no matter what OS I run them on.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Plavski posted:

Well working is one thing, glitch free is another. I still get the rainbow graphics every once in a while no matter what OS I run them on.
I never found a real fix for the rainbow graphics glitch, but a way to avoid it is restarting the game until it's gone if the bug is present in the menus. I had to lower my mouse refresh rate to the minimum to keep the mouse cursor from being jittery.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dominoes posted:

I never found a real fix for the rainbow graphics glitch, but a way to avoid it is restarting the game until it's gone if the bug is present in the menus. I had to lower my mouse refresh rate to the minimum to keep the mouse cursor from being jittery.
Restarting is the way I solve the problem too. I never found a proper fix.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They really need to get CyberMage: Darklight Awakening. That game slipped under so many people's radars, and it really was one of the best FPSes of the 2.5D generation.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
fallout2 has worked perfectly for me in vista64, the original fallout1 i couldn't get running in vista64 because it's 16bit, but the GOG version works great

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dominoes posted:

Hearing this reminds me of graphical glitches that would occur in old games when switching to their native resolutions and color depth. Usually, they would correct themselves without issue. Or, if you tried to take a screenshot of a game that ran in 256 colors, it would be all rainbowy because it depends on a limited color palette. Try manually setting your resolution to and/or color depth to 256 colors and see if that fixes it. You can use multires for doing this quickly.

Failing that, maybe run the games in a virtualized Win98?

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

Charles Martel posted:

Try the WinROTTGL for Windows which allows you to run it at 1280x1024 as well as some extra options before you write it off. It really is a great game, and isn't "just another shooter" like so many other FPSes.

Oh this is perfect! thanks a bunch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Plavski posted:

You should get Painkiller.

Emphasizing this. Everyone should buy it.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun little link while we're discussing Rise of the Triad:

ROTT in Hell: The Definitive History of the Best Deathmatch Game of All-Time

The author may be familiar to some of you.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Rise of the Triad was loving hilarious. The game and the levels made absolutely zero sense (Nazis in mazes with jump pads) but I loved it. Also

Fragmaster posted:

Ken's Labyrinth had a very Wolf3D-like engine (With AWFUL art...probably because Ken did it himself) and had some interesting features like crouching, standing taller (I don't know why that would be useful...Standing on your tippy-toes makes you more imposing maybe?)

Haha what the hell?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Yodzilla posted:

Also

Haha what the hell?
Hey, it was a feature of the Dark Engine and Thief games.

der bruder
Jul 9, 2007

Eat My Phở

Jetsetlemming posted:

Maybe the new publisher will be Eidos?! They went bankrupt so they probably need to bulk up their wallets with precious Polandish metals.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Rise of the Triad was loving hilarious. The game and the levels made absolutely zero sense (Nazis in mazes with jump pads) but I loved it. Also

Haha what the hell?
You can do it an America's Army too. (It might have been some other tactical shooter I'm thinking of)

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Chris Gaylor posted:

Maybe the new publisher will be Eidos?! They went bankrupt so they probably need to bulk up their wallets with precious Polandish metals.
If anyone can iron out the technical issues of Deus Ex, CDProjekt could. And I'd totally pay $10 for a Digital Distro copy of DX that doesn't have any speed issues due to processor timing, power settings, or dual cores, and is easily compatible with mods (the Steam copy doesn't work with mods becuase of the altered .exe for Steam, you have to replace it with one from a patch and set the game not to update to get mods to work).

Edit: Especially if it comes with the soundtrack, like the retail copy of Deus Ex: GOTY did.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man that's a really interesting article about ROTT. I love game histories like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

If anyone can iron out the technical issues of Deus Ex, CDProjekt could. And I'd totally pay $10 for a Digital Distro copy of DX that doesn't have any speed issues due to processor timing, power settings, or dual cores, and is easily compatible with mods (the Steam copy doesn't work with mods becuase of the altered .exe for Steam, you have to replace it with one from a patch and set the game not to update to get mods to work).

Edit: Especially if it comes with the soundtrack, like the retail copy of Deus Ex: GOTY did.

Something tells me that CDProjekt aren't the miracle workers you seem to think they are. GoG is a good service and all, but you don't really think they go deep into games' source codes do you? For one that would be a licensing nightmare, not to mention the sheer amount of effort it would take to actually bug fix these really old games for modern hardware. They probably just use patches supplied by the publisher or emulators on all their games to get them working right.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jetsetlemming posted:

No, that was lean forward. You couldn't stand on your tippy toes in Thief. You could in MGS2 and every MGS game thereafter, however.

Oh, and leaning forward was for looking down off ledges, but a lot of people never figured that out or ever bothered, heh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Something tells me that CDProjekt aren't the miracle workers you seem to think they are. GoG is a good service and all, but you don't really think they go deep into games' source codes do you? For one that would be a licensing nightmare, not to mention the sheer amount of effort it would take to actually bug fix these really old games for modern hardware. They probably just use patches supplied by the publisher or emulators on all their games to get them working right.

You're a dream wrecker, you know that? No poo poo they use emulators, it's common knowledge they use DOSbox for the majority of their games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

You're a dream wrecker, you know that? No poo poo they use emulators, it's common knowledge they use DOSbox for the majority of their games.

I don't mean to be a huge dick or to be overly stating the obvious, but a lot of people genuinely believe that CDProjekt has some magical touch that fixes every problem with every game they put on GoG. I've seen this kind of stuff mentioned before.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Jetsetlemming posted:

If anyone can iron out the technical issues of Deus Ex, CDProjekt could.

It should be noted that they didn't fix the weird slowdown issues with UT classic, which runs on the same engine. They have a support article on how to get around it, but the GOG version has the same problems as the Steam and retail versions.

\/\/\/ Deus Ex isn't a DOS game, dude

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't mean to be a huge dick or to be overly stating the obvious, but a lot of people genuinely believe that CDProjekt has some magical touch that fixes every problem with every game they put on GoG. I've seen this kind of stuff mentioned before.

Yeah but nothing he mentioned concerning Deus Ex is out of the realm of possibility with DOSbox. The game is currently unplayable on modern systems due to the aforementioned speed issue.

Games with bugs will still have bugs, but at least we can play them on Vista 64.

Reverend Stupid
Aug 7, 2003

I bought Redneck Rampage but it runs like complete rear end on my Win XP netbook. The framerate is so bad it's unplayable. I've tried messing around with all the graphic options (direct3d, directdraw, opengl) but nothing helped. I can't open the original setup file for some reason. I want to get duke3d as well but since it's also a build game I'm holding off. Has anyone else had this problem as well and know how to fix it?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but nothing he mentioned concerning Deus Ex is out of the realm of possibility with DOSbox. The game is currently unplayable on modern systems due to the aforementioned speed issue.

Unplayable? What are you talking about? I can play it fine on a dual core system.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

El Nath posted:

I bought Redneck Rampage but it runs like complete rear end on my Win XP netbook. The framerate is so bad it's unplayable. I've tried messing around with all the graphic options (direct3d, directdraw, opengl) but nothing helped. I can't open the original setup file for some reason. I want to get duke3d as well but since it's also a build game I'm holding off. Has anyone else had this problem as well and know how to fix it?

Post on the gog.com forums or send an email to the dev team. They'll get back to you pretty quickly about it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

The problems are all fixable on a per-user basis by altering settings, altering configs, or other such vague things. I just sorta figured they'd compile these into an authoritative list, test them to see what definitely works, so when you go to play DX and have a problem, you can find a solution. :( I figure, they've gotta be pretty much the best experts on getting old poo poo to run on modern poo poo. They'd be used to games having timing issues due to processor speed, or things like the laptop power issue, and be able to troubleshoot it.

Edit: And yeah, Deus Ex's problems aren't universal, or the kind that make it unplayable. The closest to a universal issue is the slow down and speedup on laptops with power save on. With some extensive testing, they could at least get a good idea what to tell people that go to play the best game ever and find it goes in slow motion.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 8, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

El Nath posted:

Depending on your netbook's specs, this may or may not help, but it's definitely worth a shot. Keep in mind that you need a decent system to run Redneck Rampage completely smoothly, and it was one of the last DOS games made in 1997, which really challenges DOSBox.

First of all, make sure the "Graphic Mode Setup" is set to "ddraw". That usually works best for me.

Now, navigate to C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Redneck Rampage Collection\Redneck Rampage, and look for the file dosboxRR.conf. Right-click it and select "Edit".

Now, change the following options if they aren't this way already:

code:

[dosbox]

memsize=32

[cpu]

core=dynamic
cycles=75000

From there, play around with how many cpu cycles the game gets by decreasing them (CTRL+F11) or increasing them (CTRL+F12). If the game runs smoothly, but the sound is choppy, decrease the cycles a bit. Hope that helps!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm surprised that there isn't enough love in this thread for Shogo Mobile Armor Division. I used to have this game on disc back in the day but I have since misplaced it. It's nice to see it available again.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm not sure if this is going to happen. I've been playing around with arx fatalis and it's either 5 fps in menus or blazingly fast that I'm at the end of a long hallway in a split second. There's postings on their forums but no real solution to this speed issue.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm not sure if this is going to happen. I've been playing around with arx fatalis and it's either 5 fps in menus or blazingly fast that I'm at the end of a long hallway in a split second. There's postings on their forums but no real solution to this speed issue.

Is your box overclocked? Because honestly that sounds more like a timing issue, and Arx Fatalis is a pretty recent game, and came out post-Win XP, so I can't imagine it'd be that shoddily coded that it can't account for different chip architecture on a standard setup. Never actualyl played that game, myself, though.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I just bought Arx Fatalis and I was just wondering if anyone who have played this could give me some hints regarding character creation? Are there some skills that every character should have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin

Sylphosaurus posted:

I just bought Arx Fatalis and I was just wondering if anyone who have played this could give me some hints regarding character creation? Are there some skills that every character should have?

You have to get the one skill that involves identification of items. Weapon lore or something? Because there is no other way to do it. It has been a long time, but I believe that you need to get it to like 75 or so by the end?