Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mr. Wookums posted:

How did Die By the Sword age? I have a feeling if I tried it again, I'd just toss it for bad controls. After all, there have not been any games that have tried the same system since.

I remember playing it as a young gun, but I remember, much more vividly, having to hide it in a maze of folders due to my age and parent's watchfull eye. I never did get a good look at it.
Well, I found it to be quite enjoyable. The controls will probably frustrate you until you get used to them. Especially when using the mouse VSIM controls. It definitely takes a while to get used to them. But the game is pretty hilarious. My friends like to laugh at all the ways I manage to get myself killed. And the game is quite tough. It is sometimes downright brutal.

Unfortunately, though, the game suffers from the "open up every window that is minimized and resize them all to really small squares" problem that a lot of older games happen to have. Because of that, I usually play it in Linux via Wine (although it still likes to sometimes mess with my desktop widgets) or in VirtualBox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mr Pepper posted:

They don't just do gog.com, they also made a little game called The Witcher.

I must be retarded because I never put that together.

Mr Pepper posted:

Painkiller

And this is always the right answer.

The two games I really want to see on there is Raptor: Call of the Shadows and Rocket Jockey. Come on now both are well deserving. Also I'd like to see an Alone in the Dark anthology thrown up for good measure.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

No wishlist of "games I want to see on GoG" is ever really correct without the Lucasarts adventure games.

Speaking of which, who actually has the rights to those?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

GrandpaPants posted:

No wishlist of "games I want to see on GoG" is ever really correct without the Lucasarts adventure games.

Unless it's a special case or one they licensed, I'd imagine Lucasarts does...

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

all of lucas arts adventure games are still available on the shelf, you can just buy them and dump them in SCUMMVM.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Yodzilla posted:

The two games I really want to see on there is Raptor: Call of the Shadows and Rocket Jockey. Come on now both are well deserving. Also I'd like to see an Alone in the Dark anthology thrown up for good measure.

I highly doubt we're going to see Raptor, as much as I'd like it on here. The big problem with most of the classic Apogee games is that they had individual developers who made the games. Apogee merely published them, and Raptor is no exception. Scott Host, who developed Raptor and owned Cygnus Studios, changed the name to Mountain King Studios and sells a Windows version of Raptor on his website, yet 3D Realms still sells the original (and, in my opinion, superior) DOS version, so who knows.

I've been reading through The Apogee Legacy Interviews where they interview the minds behind each of their old games, and it's quite interesting. It also shows just how many different people are responsible for all their games, and all the different calls that need to be made for licensing deals.

I'd absolutely love to see the Alone in the Dark Trilogy here, but who owns them now? Atari? Watching Malorie's Let's Play of AitD 2 is making me miss it and want to play it again. :(

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rocket Jockey will probably be tricky to get working on both XP and Vista. It works on XP if you use a fan installer, but it still requires the CD to be in the drive. Same with Vista, although my experience has been that you get some really weird input lag under Vista, and I tried pretty much every "old game remedy" there is.

On top of that, both the developer and publisher no longer exist. I have no idea if it's even possible to secure a deal for the game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So, I just stumbled across this while checking out Apogee's full list of games on Wikipedia: List of Commercial games available as freeware, and...wow! I never knew Abuse, the Dark Sun games, Ground Control, and Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe were now free! I forgot Apogee's Boppin' is now free too.

And with that, I'm going to bed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

404notfound posted:

Rocket Jockey will probably be tricky to get working on both XP and Vista. It works on XP if you use a fan installer, but it still requires the CD to be in the drive. Same with Vista, although my experience has been that you get some really weird input lag under Vista, and I tried pretty much every "old game remedy" there is.

On top of that, both the developer and publisher no longer exist. I have no idea if it's even possible to secure a deal for the game.

Didn't SEGA just absorb all of the SegaSoft stuff?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
well I just restarted Arx Fatalis (last time I played it was buggy and I couldn't finish a quest involving the goblin king or something). Anyone having an issue with the GOG version chopping up in menu screens?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Weekend Deal: Simon the Sorcerer pack for $14.97

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Simon the Sorcerer more like Lucasarts adventure games where they're fun and challenging or Sierra adventure games where if you don't click on a pixel on the second screen you can't beat the game?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Simon the Sorcerer more like Lucasarts adventure games where they're fun and challenging or Sierra adventure games where if you don't click on a pixel on the second screen you can't beat the game?

Definitely Lucas Artsy. You can't die or get stuck and they are funny as hell!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

On the other hand, is Simon 3D worth the extra 3 dollars? Just Simon 1 and 2 make it $12 total while the 3D installment looks terrible. I'm genuinely asking because I will most likely buy at least Simon 1 and 2, eventually, and I've only played Simon 1 yet never finished it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

FLX posted:

All that talk about Giants: Citizen Kabuto has made me remember Armed and Dangerous which was made by the same company and played really similar to Giants as well. It was rather short but I really liked the atmosphere and the crazy setting.

Armed and Dangerous was awesome; my mate and I played it through together and laughed our asses off at the humor in it. Sadly, like with most games based on jokes and humor, the game is a lot less fun the second time through when you know all the jokes already.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Armed & Dangerous was really fun but the thing that stood out to me was that is had the worst compression on its CG movies I have ever seen. Seriously the cutscenes (where most of the humor was) looked like absolute garbage.

Oh Planet Moon why aren't you allowed to make anything cool anymore.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Big question here, does GOG allow re-downloads like Steam, or is it a one time use like iTunes? Because of the DRM, I'd imagine the latter, which is a bit of an annoyance.

Izz
May 1, 2006

Casao posted:

Big question here, does GOG allow re-downloads like Steam, or is it a one time use like iTunes? Because of the DRM, I'd imagine the latter, which is a bit of an annoyance.

You can re-download them as many times as you need.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Casao posted:

Yes, it's unlimited downloads to as many computers as you want.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Casao posted:

what DRM

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.

Jinnigan posted:

what DRM
i mean it's even in the thread title

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jinnigan posted:

what DRM

That was my point.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Casao posted:

That was my point.
whut

you don't make sense

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Casao posted:

That was my point.

You must have meant former, because the latter in this case was indicating an itunes-like one download policy.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008

Mug posted:

all of lucas arts adventure games are still available on the shelf, you can just buy them and dump them in SCUMMVM.

I have never ever seen any LucasArts adventure game on the shelf. Mind telling me where this is so I can rush out and find it?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Plavski posted:

whut

you don't make sense

I make plenty of sense. I was referring to the DRM situation in general, I guess it just wasn't clear.

Drox posted:

You must have meant former, because the latter in this case was indicating an itunes-like one download policy.

I meant latter, because iTunes only allows one download regardless of DRM/DRM free, Amazon only allows one and it's DRM free, etc. Most DRM-free downloads I come across only allow one download.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Casao posted:

I make plenty of sense. I was referring to the DRM situation in general, I guess it just wasn't clear.

I meant latter, because iTunes only allows one download regardless of DRM/DRM free, Amazon only allows one and it's DRM free, etc. Most DRM-free downloads I come across only allow one download.

iTunes became infamous for having extremely strict DRM and so saying a DRM free service must act like iTunes sounds silly.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

iTunes became infamous for having extremely strict DRM and so saying a DRM free service must act like iTunes sounds silly.

I was not referring to iTunes's DRM policy. I was referring to their download policy. Why is this so hard for you to understand? If I had said Amazon MP3, which holds the same download policy, would you guys still be making GBS threads bricks or would you have let it go?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
They have Darkstar One. That is totally awesome.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Happy Friday everyone! Added a Weekend Promo section to the OP as well as emphasized a couple points.

Casao posted:

There's absolutely zero. Once you purchase a game, you can download it (and it's extra goodies) as many times as you want, burn it to a CD/DVD, and install it on all of your other computers if you want. There's no restrictions whatsoever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Charles Martel posted:

There's absolutely zero. Once you purchase a game, you can download it (and it's extra goodies) as many times as you want, burn it to a CD/DVD, and install it on all of your other computers if you want. There's no restrictions whatsoever.

And that's why I've been buying games from them that I already own in addition to ones I don't. It's just way more convenient to be able to download a game I've bought when I want to install it instead of hunting down the CD somewhere.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So according to the message boards on GoG.com, the GoG team likes to post the newest dirt on what they're doing on their Twitter account, and I found this little piece of info people are already speculating on posted a couple days ago:

The GoG Team posted:

Next Tuesday will bring Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and a new publisher!

I made a Twitter account just to keep an eye on this, but in the meantime, it's time to play Who will it beeee??

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
ouch nevermind

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 7, 2009

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sporadic posted:

20% off

It seems you have to pay $20 to join that site. I'd rather spend that on GOG directly.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Blodskur posted:

It seems you have to pay $20 to join that site. I'd rather spend that on GOG directly.

Whoops, sorry. I didn't read/comprehend that one all the way.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I feel like buying a shooter, Should I get Rise of the Triad or Duke Nukem? (allready have duke on 360 and N64)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The Skeep posted:

I feel like buying a shooter, Should I get Rise of the Triad or Duke Nukem? (allready have duke on 360 and N64)

If you've already got DN3D on XBLA there's not much point unless you feel like modding the hell out of it. Personally I'm not huge on ROTT, but it's a different game, go for it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

The Skeep posted:

You should get Painkiller.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Skeep posted:

I personally love RotT, but it's an acquired taste. You can't fail with Duke3D, but seeing as how you already have it buying it again would seem like a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

If you've already got DN3D on XBLA there's not much point unless you feel like modding the hell out of it. Personally I'm not huge on ROTT, but it's a different game, go for it.

Proper Mouselook, user maps and 3D acceleration is reason enough.