Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I keep getting weird errors running Painkiller Black on vista, I can't save on the first boss level as I get an error message about an unexpected key next to 5 message whatever the hell that is. I'm thinking of moving the install to somewhere other than program files. I have a hunch that something is messing it up, also it doesn't overwrite quicksave files, I just end up with a huge list. I thought that bug was patched out. :confused:

edit: well, moving the install from program files worked perfectly, the only game under Vista I have ever had to do that for. Weird.

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zoe posted:

Being intrigued by the game but not actually being able to finish it seems like a pretty common problem, but there's currently a pretty decent LP of it going on if you want to enjoy it the easy way.
Oh sweet, thanks.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

Cemetry Gator posted:

Descent is killing me. I cannot for the life of me get past the first boss. Some aspects of the game have aged incredibly well, others, like the cheap-as-gently caress bosses, have not. If anyone has any ideas on how to kill the boss at level 7, I'd be happy.

I might have to check out the Freespace games though.

Point your ship at the smart bomblets, accelerate towards them, start strafing up/down and left/right at the same time (tri-chording). Keep your nose pointed at the bomblets. Right before they hit you, whip your ship around while still tri-cording. Try to keep the bomblets on your screen at all times. Your ship can move faster through their terminal zone than the bomblets can rotate. You will either lose the lock, or you can track them into the walls.

You can do the same with just circle strafing, but the timing has to be more exact. The trick is to move your ship behind the bomblets, and the only way to do that is to let them get so close to you and move fast enough that they cannot turn to keep up with you.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
You keep them once you earn them but you only get to activate the gold cards once per mission. (Or more than once by equipping certain silver cards.)

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

Gaph posted:

I said the same thing. Experience told me that bonus cards are one-time use, so when I found out that you get to keep the cards forever it blew my mind. Ever since unlocking the cards has been my primary aim. Second, it's finding all the secrets/artifacts and juggling enemies to make enough gold to actually play the card, besides just being a lot of fun. After you complete the level the entirety of it opens up so you can backtrack and explore at your leisure.

I bought Painkiller Black Edition a couple of years back but I could never play it because graphics are completely hosed up on some nvidia cards (including my own of course), to the point that even the menus are unreadable. Apparently it's fairly common but no fix has been released by either People can fly or nvidia. Reading you telling how much fun the game is makes me sad. :(

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

doctorfrog posted:

For Painkiller: PowerMad cheat scripts
Slowing down (and speeding up) time with this mod is a blast! It's like a completely configurable and infinite "bullet time" that allows you to run circles around enemies and fire dozens of slow-moving projectiles to converge on them. The physics get borked up too, and it's great fun to launch enemy corpses over buildings or across the map by shooting them or jumping into them.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Also, just bought MDK2.

Too bad the music in the PC version is in a crappy downsampled format. I have a nice update pack that fixes the problem, as well as a few other glitches in the music, but I don't really have any permission from GOG.com or anyone else to redistribute the sound files. (or the modified executable to play them at the correct sample rate)

I suppose I could put up a private torrent on alluvion, but I don't really want to get my GOG.com account banned, even if I haven't made any purchases yet. (I already have an OEM MDK 2 CD that came with my old Sound Blaster Live! card. Lord knows why they bothered to downsample the music, even the full rate ACM files still fit on a single 74 minute CD.)

EDIT: Scratch that, forgot alluvion has a rule against posting content without permission. I suppose I could make an installer that requires all of the original files to be present.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 22, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

kode54 posted:

I suppose I could make an installer that requires all of the original files to be present.

If you wanted to, I'd be interested in it. :) I never knew the MDK2 music was borked like that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Charles Martel posted:

If you wanted to, I'd be interested in it. :) I never knew the MDK2 music was borked like that.

Yeah, one of the tracks even plays for about a minute, then there's a loud POP, then it starts over again, then it plays through completely. As if it was digitally recorded from one machine to another, and then a minute in, the source stops and restarts. I fixed that, as well as a few that have pops at the start. And of course, the downsampling problem, fixed with a rip from the Dreamcast version.

Disregarding the pops and that one track with the repeat (track11a.acm, play with foo_adpcm or your favorite ACM plug-in), all ports except the Dreamcast version have problems with the soundtrack.

The PC version has downsampled 22KHz music, and the decoder doesn't clip samples that exceed the 16-bit range, so they wrap and make loud popping sounds. (My music pack also has all affected tracks peak scaled so they don't trigger this bug.)

The PS2 version has a mono downmix. Boo, mono.

Anyway, I wrote an installer last night that verifies and requires the original music files before it will do anything, so I suppose that won't be as bad as just giving the files away. I've uploaded a MD5 sum list of the music files here, just so anyone can verify they have the original files before bothering to download whatever crap I prepare. (torrent, don't know) Easy enough to feed to fsum or similar from within the MDK 2 install directory.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

re: ^^^

Wow, that's really pretty atrocious. I'm kind of disappointed. As a legal owner of the game, I have no moral delimma with obtaining the higher-quality versions of the music, if you're able to find a way.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Twitter Feed posted:

@Maevvy We have a pretty swell release coming up tomorrow and it's not even from a new publisher :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
:siren: Today's new releases :siren:

Alien Nations, Warlords Battlecry 3 and who would have thought: Cannon Fodder

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Oh man, sweet. I'm totally picking up WBC3, might get cannon fodder too, that was a fun game.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Oh goodi, cannon fodder. :neckbeard:

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...
Crazy, just a few days before I was thinking about adding the "Cannon Fodder"-Series to the wishlist... though thats not a good thing, because I probably HAVE to buy them now... :)

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Holy crap Cannon Fodder! I don't think I ever got around to buying that way back then. :D

Mr. Dragoon
May 7, 2008
Any idea if Alien Nations is any good? I'm a sucker for city builders really but I would like a basic idea of how it is.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Any idea if Alien Nations is any good? I'm a sucker for city builders really but I would like a basic idea of how it is.

Reviews for it are between 40-81%

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/alien-nations

Uhh, I'll wait for impressions I guess.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy loving poo poo, I used to play the single shareware level of Cannon Fodder over and over as a kid. Hopefully they'll get the second one too at some point.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'll buy it if it has the sensible soccer level. That was the best coverdisk demo ever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Does anyone know if Gothic I or II or Arx Fatalis will run in windowed mode? I like RPGs like that to pick up every so often while I'm working and being able to have it in a little window on my screen makes it so much easier to do so.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
For the rest of you hardcore Apogee fans out there: Kroz, Arctic Adventure, Dark Ages, Monuments of Mars and Pharaoh's Tomb are officially freeware now!

Also, Beyond the Titanic, Supernova, and Word Whiz are being re-released as freeware with the source code(s).

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Following up on Painkiller, I just finished it. My enthusiasm was a bit drained towards the end. It kept putting out great levels with even harder secrets to find and new enemies to occupy them but I was getting annoyed with all the enemies that could shoot me. It just seemed better with melee-only enemies and a stakegun. For the most part the tarot cards were less interesting/useful/fun and I basically stuck with the same ones until the end. Plus I had so much gold I would never be unable to play any cards I wanted to. All the weapons rock but, once you get the rocket launcher/chaingun, though fun in it's utter destruction, made things too easy and kind of steals the thunder from your other weapons.

Still eager for more I started up Battle out of Hell, this time on Nightmare difficulty (second highest) and it has totally relit my fire. Besides being on a higher difficulty, in which you take more damage and receive less ammo, this expansion seems to address everything I could've hoped for. Mainly the new tarot cards are excellent and work with the game in such a way that you'll want to be swapping them out depending on the level. Which in turn gives the gold you collect some actual value. The requirements for unlocking the cards are also more challenging and fun.

The first card you can unlock is Weapon Modifier, which mimics the effects of the quad damage pickup. Every weapon is effected in some way, for instance stakes shoot in a straight line with no arc and they're always on fire, grenade explosions leave a circle of fire and the shotgun has practically zero spread making it powerful even at long ranges.

It's pure awesome, I can't believe some of the reviews this has gotten. Once I'm finished with Battle out of Hell I'll still not have seen everything so I'm going to gladly replay everything at Trauma difficulty.

Gaph fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 26, 2009

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Charles Martel posted:

For the rest of you hardcore Apogee fans out there: Kroz, Arctic Adventure, Dark Ages, Monuments of Mars and Pharaoh's Tomb are officially freeware now!

Also, Beyond the Titanic, Supernova, and Word Whiz are being re-released as freeware with the source code(s).

Kroz was one of the first games I ever played. This is awesome news.

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003
the new publisher is Ubisoft. Now I can buy the same games on Steam and GOG- wow!!!

I see they have the original Rainbow 6 under coming soon. Hopefully Rogue Spear will make an appearance

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yodzilla posted:

Does anyone know if Gothic I or II or Arx Fatalis will run in windowed mode? I like RPGs like that to pick up every so often while I'm working and being able to have it in a little window on my screen makes it so much easier to do so.

Gothic 1 is extremely playable in windowed mode. Not sure about the others.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
What's good about the Ubisoft thing is that with gog there aren't the loving ridiculous regional restrictions. You can't get Prince of Persia in Europe on Steam for example.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Irish Bandit posted:

the new publisher is Ubisoft. Now I can buy the same games on Steam and GOG- wow!!!

I see they have the original Rainbow 6 under coming soon. Hopefully Rogue Spear will make an appearance

Personally I'm hoping for the original Rayman, that was a fun game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Why would you buy Far Cry? Didn't Ubisoft release it for free a while back?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

It was a temporary ad-supported thing that only worked in America.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Yodzilla posted:

I think that version had tons of irritating McDonalds ads though.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
And it doesn't work anymore.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Ah, Sands of Time. At least gog.com will sell it to me. Steam wont let Europeans buy it.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
This is a big step for ubisoft though, especially since they said they won't support the new PoP for PC because of rampant piracy, to all of a sudden put their back catalog on a site that has zero DRM.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm fairly sure that all these Ubisoft titles are on Metaboli as well (and have been for quite some time), which is always an option for us european types.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 26, 2009

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh I didn't know Far Cry was a temporary US only thing. My mistake.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Far Cry is an excellent game that looks really great even by todays standards when everything is maxed out. It's basically the Crysis of the last generation (but not quite as extreme). I have it on Steam already, but if you haven't played it, definitley give this a look. Some people might comment on themutants being annoying to fight in the same way aliens are in Crysis, but it's not nearly as annoying as in Crysis, since you do get to fight plenty of humans through the entire game.

As for Heroes of Might and Magic, I've been hoping to get the first interation of this game for years now, but was only able to get the demo. I'm a big fan of the series having played 1-4, so this is exciting.

GOG you are the motherfucking king.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Beyond Good and Evil is on Good Old Games.

MOTHERFUCKING BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL IS ON GOOD OLD GAMES.

I'm almost tempted to buy it a third time even though I already have it on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Oh gently caress yes HOMM, I assume since the first one is coming the others are to follow.