Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I ended up buying both the Wing Commander 1+2 pack plus Wing Commander 3 since three supposedly solid games for less than $5 sounds pretty good. Thank you goons who know the series better than I do for getting me to buy both packages! I can't wait to try them whenever my Steam/GOG backlog clears up more (although I might make an exception and try them ASAP) :)

al-azad posted:

WC1 can be beaten in 2-3 hours and WC2 isn't much longer. They're both heavily cinematic games and the presentation still hold up today because the systems are so simple.
As someone who likes the occasional game that doesn't take 20+ hours to beat, it's nice to know that the first two Wing Commanders aren't too long (of course, assuming I don't die a billion times in at least one level due to me being stupid/rushing too much). :)

macnbc posted:

If you go that route I would add not to skip out on the DLC packs that GOG offers though. Like the ones for WC1 introduce characters that are critical to WC2s plot and so on.
I'll definitely do that assuming the expansion/DLC missions don't require you to do special/super obscure stuff to access them, which I highly doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Obeast posted:

As someone who likes the occasional game that doesn't take 20+ hours to beat, it's nice to know that the first two Wing Commanders aren't too long (of course, assuming I don't die a billion times in at least one level due to me being stupid/rushing too much). :)

Just remember to eject before you actually bite the dust.

The Wing Commander games work on a branching plot system, and (with the exception of some plot-critical missions or a lot of the expansion ones) winning every single mission isn't required. In fact depending on what star system you're in, you can lose several missions in a row and still stay on the winning track. Of course, that only works if you actually survive, so it's better to retreat back to base or eject than to go out a flaming wreck.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 21, 2014

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Hollenhammer posted:

Well after a very long time of looking it up it appears it's impossible to set a default MIDI device in Windows 8 as proof here
Has anyone found any solution to this? I'm trying to suss how to force it in the registry but in the location people point to, MT-32 isn't mentioned.

edit: ended up breaking my pc and having to use a restore point to fix it lol.
Figured out that the only alternative is to manually set dosbox config to use munt. The old solution was much easier :(

I'm on Win8.1 with working custom soundfonts. I also have a Creative soundcard.

What I do is first install custom drivers for my card (PAX Creative Drivers), the Creative Soundfont Bank Manager, then BASSMIDI and CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth. In both programs, I customize which soundfont I want to use and for what device, then set whichever program I want to handle the MIDI as default (normally the Creative Soundfont Bank Manager). After ensuring all the settings are correct, I uninstall VirtualMIDISynth then reboot. If it's done properly, it'll fully take out the default Windows MIDI driver and replace it with what I set as default. It's safe to uninstall BASSMIDI at this point, assuming you don't use it as the default MIDI program. A good way to check for the default MIDI driver positions is opening DOSBox and typing "mixer /listmidi"

You shouldn't need a soundcard to do this either. Using BASSMIDI or VirtualMIDISynth should work, though it won't be as good—those two generally have to cache the sounds and usually sound lagged/clicky at first.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

WC 1 and 2 are fun but I remember the Secret Missions expansions being pretty bad and unfair by having you fly in really crappy ships against tough odds. Buggy too since sometimes I'd win the mission but for some reason the game thought I'd failed and I was put on the losing track as a result.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember renting and beating those games on the SNES. Which means I was not only playing with a controller, I also didn't have any instruction booklet to tell me how to do things like eject. I must have been a crazy kid.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

WC 1 and 2 are fun but I remember the Secret Missions expansions being pretty bad and unfair by having you fly in really crappy ships against tough odds. Buggy too since sometimes I'd win the mission but for some reason the game thought I'd failed and I was put on the losing track as a result.

I never played the WC2 special operations expansions, but yeah, the Secret Missions for WC1 are really tough for the reasons cited above and because both only have one "winning" mission track and if you screw up, you're put on the losing track with no way back (whereas you could lose then come back to win in the original campaign). Secret Missions 2 was fun if only for the novelty of doing a few missions in a Dralthi, and the story is a little more interesting than SM1's, which is basically "welp gotta keep going and destroy the big ship."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If I hated tie fighter/xwing for having dumb controls will I hate WC

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mortimer posted:

If I hated tie fighter/xwing for having dumb controls will I hate WC

Probably not because the game didn't punish you for not having a flightstick. The controls are about as arcadey as Freelancer.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

al-azad posted:

Probably not because the game didn't punish you for not having a flightstick. The controls are about as arcadey as Freelancer.

I don't know what freelancer is so I'll take that as a maybe. Rogue squadron is about as far as I'll go into "flightsims". Is it like descent? Descent controls were wonky but playable :shrug:

Atlasesque
Apr 8, 2014
Anyone here ever play MDK?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mortimer posted:

I don't know what freelancer is so I'll take that as a maybe. Rogue squadron is about as far as I'll go into "flightsims". Is it like descent? Descent controls were wonky but playable :shrug:

On the "Arcade" to "Simulation" spectrum, Wing Commander is definitely more on the arcade end of it.

These are the controls you need to really worry about :
Steering
Speed
Fire guns
Fire missle
Target enemy

If you can do that you can play any Wing Commander game. There are more advanced stuff but you don't have to fiddle with your power settings as much as the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games and stuff like that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The one thing to watch out for in WC1 is that holding Space to fire turns on autoglide for some reason and as a result you drift around drunkenly making it hard to aim. I never figured out how to turn that off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mortimer posted:

You need to fix this Freelancer deficiency post haste.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Continuing my adventures in Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I got on a decent enough roll in the first campaign chapter, taking the first town up north and getting a decent stream of supplies going. Then the opposing hero death knight rolls in and kills my stack of 60 upgraded Centaurs with a 20 stack of vampires. drat, I'm bad at this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Atlasesque posted:

Anyone here ever play MDK?

Yep, on both PC and PSX. Only played MDK2 on PC, but I'll track down the DC/PS2 ports out of curiosity someday.

Why do you ask?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Continuing my adventures in Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I got on a decent enough roll in the first campaign chapter, taking the first town up north and getting a decent stream of supplies going. Then the opposing hero death knight rolls in and kills my stack of 60 upgraded Centaurs with a 20 stack of vampires. drat, I'm bad at this.

I feel you. I am the same when playing that game. I do enjoy it but I am not sure what I am doing haha.
I barely win on the easiest setting in any Civilisation game, too, and I have played dozens of hours...

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Did anyone ever get around to trying out The Last Federation? It looks interesting, but I don't really know anything about how good or not AI War was.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
TotalBiscuit made a pretty good video that shows off the game.

It seems like a pretty cool game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu1VziShzDg

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

DeathChicken posted:

Which campaign are we talking about here? The first three vanilla campaigns are fairly easy except for the last mission of Dungeons & Devils which for some reason is a lot tougher than anything before it since you face both a time limit and a really tough hero who usually defends the city you need to capture. Your best bet in that map is to pick Dungeon, pray for Dimension Door if you don't have it and try and capture it while the hero is elsewhere.

Fake edit: Wait, since you're talking about Centaur Captains I assume you've started with Shadow of Death which is the second of the two expansions. The order is a bit weird in the Campaign menu but the "proper" order is Restoration of Erathia -> Armageddon's Blade -> Shadow of Death). Try the RoE campaigns first, they're pretty much meant for beginners. The expansion campaigns are for more experienced players and noticeably more difficult.

One tip for HoMM III campaigns: Always collect as many permanent bonuses as you can on each map, primarily spells and stat bonuses. Also when leveling up, avoid the following skills on your primary hero because they're crap:

- First Aid, Learning, Eagle Eye, Scholar

First Aid scales really poorly, Learning's +15% exp bonus is pointless since by itself it requires several levels and takes a skill slot, Eagle Eye is far too unreliable (60% chance to learn a spell used by enemy in battle) and Scholar is only remotely useful on the largest of maps and on secondary heroes since you can usually just go and learn the spells yourself.

However always get these skills if possible because they're amazing on practically every hero:

- Air Magic, Earth Magic, Logistics, Offense, Wisdom, Armorer

Air and Earth Magics are insanely powerful and have a ton of useful spells, Logistics improves your hero movement which is always great, Offense is a very big +30% boost to all melee damage, Wisdom gives you access to high-level spells (note though that not all factions can build Mage Guild 4 or 5) and Armorer is a solid -15% to damage taken which is great in a game in which you want as little losses per battle as possible.

As for the other stuff, my personal opinions:

• Estates is good on secondary heroes but a waste of a skill slot on the guy that actually does things.
  • Artillery is only useful early on and only if you have access to a Ballista so its usefulness is limited. Don't use a Ballista without Artillery if you have Blind because the random shots will often hit the blinded stack for non-existent damage and allow them to act again.
  • Ballistics helps a lot against enemy towns but does nothing otherwise. Not a bad choice since siege battles are often rough but does nothing 90% of the time. Strongly consider it if you're lacking in flying troops because without Ballistics the catapult's aim is hilariously poor.
  • Same deal with Resistance, except replace "towns" with "heroes". Good to have against 'em, useless against most neutrals unless you're facing Faerie Dragons or something.
  • Archery ranges from good to must-have depending on how many ranged units your town has. You can rarely go wrong with it and if you happen to get it as Tower it's hilariously powerful.
  • Leadership is okay but usually only necessary if you're using creatures from many different factions for some reason since you get +1 Morale just from having all creatures from the same faction and Morale and Luck do nothing above +3. Completely useless for Necropolis since undead have no morale.
  • Luck on the other hand is very useful since you inherently have 0 luck and lucky hits are often devastating since they're guaranteed double damage.
  • Tactics depends entirely on your army composition, it's not a must-have skill but it can be very useful since you can protect your ranged troops or move your own units closer to or further away from the enemy. Try it out and see how you feel about it.
  • Necromancy is nerfed to half strength in Horn of the Abyss for a reason, only Necropolis can make good use of it but it's incredibly powerful on them. It becomes utterly broken if by some chance you manage to find all the pieces of the Cloak of the Undead King which on a Necromancer means that instead of Skeletons, you get an equal amount of Liches.
  • Diplomacy is really interesting. It can either break the game in half or do absolutely nothing. I'd say take it if you can because getting even one decently-sized stack of neutrals to join you can swing the game massively in your favor. It works on anything from Peasants to Black Dragons but the chance of joining is higher if your army is stronger and composed of creatures of the same faction as the neutrals, amongst other things. This can easily snowball as getting one stack of neutrals increases your army strength, thus making the next stack more likely to join you and so forth. Of course, once all neutrals are gone or the map designer has set neutrals to "Never join" (which is rare), it does nothing.
  • Pathfinding's usefulness depends entirely on the map and your faction. If the entire map is grassland it has no effect whatsoever, but if there's a lot of Snow, Rough, Swamp or Sand terrain it'll make moving on that terrain much faster. One thing to keep in mind is that all creatures have "native" terrain on which they get bonuses and don't suffer from decreased movement. Tower armies won't need Pathfinding to move on snow for example, nor do Fortress armies need it on swamp. However if you have even one non-native unit in your army, the whole army will suffer the full movement penalty so keep that in mind.
  • Same deal with Navigation. Utterly worthless when you're not sailing but a massive +150% movement bonus while on a boat. Consider the map and choose accordingly.
  • Intelligence is usually good to have, at Expert it doubles spell points which is never bad. Remember that ending your turn in a town with a Mage Guild will fully replenish your mana, so if you already have high Knowledge and easy access to towns/magic wells it may not be necessary.
  • Scouting is one of the worse skills in the game but not 100% useless. It's a pretty decent pick for a secondary hero that runs around exploring but it takes a valuable skill slot and does nothing when you already know the terrain around you.
  • Mysticism is worse than Intelligence since it doesn't scale at all. It's barely above "crap" tier because it can be useful on some maps that don't have a lot of wells or towns, but there are usually better choices because extra 2-4 mana per turn isn't that much.
  • Sorcery is good in theory but in practice you'll be spending more time casting buffs and debuffs instead of damage spells and it doesn't help with those at all. Useless on most physical heroes, it's not terrible for a spellcaster hero but don't pick it over better skills.
  • Water Magic isn't as must-have as Air or Earth Magics but it does have a few spells that benefit a ton from Expert level, namely Bless, Prayer and Forgetfulness. If you're fortunate enough to have Prayer in your spellbook, grab it because Mass Prayer is one of the best spells in the game.
  • Fire Magic is the least useful of the four Magic skills but it's still nice to have if you have the spells for it. Curse and Berserk work really well with Expert Fire Magic but the lack of adventure map spells makes it less desirable than the other three and "good" factions get Bless instead of Curse in their mage guilds. Blind is one of the best spells in the game but it does its job even without Fire Magic, although FM does make it even better.

Think that covers them all. There are a lot of strategies and other small things but experiment with stuff and you'll figure what works and what doesn't. One last thing that comes to mind about town management and early game, when choosing what to build in a town you should usually focus on getting a Capitol up unless playing on a Small map. Once you know what you're doing you can get certain creature dwellings early to clear neutrals faster but most of the time your hero's starting troops + first day troops from your castle + the starting troops of a hero hired from a Tavern all combined into one army on your first turn are enough to take care of the weak enemies near your starting area. One big exception to this rule is Stronghold as you can get their highest tier units as early as the first week which may very well be worth it if you have the resources to pull it off. But even with them a Capitol first is the safer choice.

Also avoid spending resources and turns on upgrading creature dwellings and instead build ones you don't have yet so that you can start gaining more every week. There are only a few creature dwellings I'd recommend upgrading early such as Gremlins to Master Gremlins for Tower, Wood Elves to Grand Elves for Rampart or Archers to Marksmen for Castle.

Hope some of that wall of text is useful. And yeah, I might've played this game a fair amount. :v:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 22, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, I was playing Shadow of Death. It was first on the menu, consarnit.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I was playing Shadow of Death. It was first on the menu, consarnit.

Yeah the Shadow of Death Missions are all like 10Xs harder then the Restorations of Erathia ones. Well except for the Rise of a Necromancer Campaign in SoD in which you steamroll everything and its loving glorious.

The reason they are ordered like that though is that chronologically the campaigns go Shadow of Death-->Restoration of Erathia-->Armageddons Blade but Restorations was the original and the most friendly to beginners.

Kanfy posted:

[*]Artillery is only useful early on and only if you have access to a Ballista so its usefulness is limited. Don't use a Ballista without Artillery if you have Blind because the random shots will

Artillery has one other use in that it allows you to control the towers when defending during a siege. I still wouldnt rate Artillery as a very good skill but I think at one time or another everyone who has played Heroes has wished they could have had control of their towers in a certain battle.

quote:

Same deal with Resistance, except replace "towns" with "heroes". Good to have against 'em, useless against most neutrals unless you're facing Faerie Dragons or something.
And resistance will never work for you and always work for the AI thats how Heroes works :v:

quote:

Leadership is okay but usually only necessary if you're using creatures from many different factions for some reason since you get +1 Morale just from having all creatures from the same faction and Morale and Luck do nothing above +3. Completely useless for Necropolis since undead have no morale
Also kinda useless for Conflux as elementals have no moral so only the Sprites and Phoenix benefit.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 22, 2014

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
Good post, Kanfy.

Kanfy posted:

Also avoid spending resources and turns on upgrading creature dwellings and instead build ones you don't have yet so that you can start gaining more every week. There are only a few creature dwellings I'd recommend upgrading early such as Gremlins to Master Gremlins for Tower, Wood Elves to Grand Elves for Rampart or Archers to Marksmen for Castle.

I always upgrade my units asap :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, my plan thus far seems to be to go heavy on the best archers I can land, and everyone else is cannon fodder to keep people away from the archers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would recommend reading through Spermy Smurf's Heroes 3 LP. He starts off pretty much in the same position where he doesn't really know a lot and actually outright loses his first scenario, but the rest of the peanut gallery comes together to give him advice and later he's knocking out Large maps left and right.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SpRahl posted:

Artillery has one other use in that it allows you to control the towers when defending during a siege. I still wouldnt rate Artillery as a very good skill but I think at one time or another everyone who has played Heroes has wished they could have had control of their towers in a certain battle.

Right, I wasn't sure if that was a WoG or vanilla thing since I never pick Artillery in vanilla. :v:

Speaking of mods, Artillery is a lot more reasonable pick if you're playing Cove in HotA thanks to their cannons which replace ballistae. At Expert Artillery the Cannon will deal triple damage and in addition allows you to take powerful aimed shots at enemy walls during sieges, meaning it remains somewhat useful throughout the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Fifth and final Blackwell game, Blackwell Epiphany is now out on sale for $15.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The new release is Sudeki. I vaguely remember it advertised, but never read a single review. Did anyone here played it? Is it as terrible as it looks?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

laserghost posted:

The new release is Sudeki. I vaguely remember it advertised, but never read a single review. Did anyone here played it? Is it as terrible as it looks?
Only played it parts of it a few years ago, as far as I can remember it was not exactly bad but completely mediocre and forgettable.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh hey, Eador: Genesis is on sale this weekend. If you haven't picked it up yet, you absolutely should.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

laserghost posted:

I'm sure it's great, just look at the first review on GOG:

quote:

***** 10/10
this game is cool im finish this 2 time ;]

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Why does GOG even bother with a user review section anyway? Has anyone ever found an actual useful review on the site?

I tried submitting a fair and balanced review for a game recently but the character count limit is ridiculously low. Could barely fit ANYTHING in there.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

laserghost posted:

I have the game on the original Xbox, and I honestly don't remember much about it. So I guess probably middling?

If it was bad I'd remember all the bad things about it, but I'm pretty sure it was just so boringly mediocre that I can't recall anything about ti.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sudeki is up there with Oni and Shogo as games with a "high schooler who watched his first anime" aesthetic. I bought it on Xbox when Jade Empire came out for like $5 if that tells you anything. The combat system is action based but it's all timing so you can't mash the buttons and really do anything. Two of the characters are ranged based so you fight with them in the first person, it's kind of strange. There's also environmental based puzzles and the areas are surprisingly large and detailed. It's a great looking game for a 2004 title, I'll give it that, although the faux-anime style for the character design is really amateurish and all the females sound like loving smurfs.

I thought it was okay, actually, but my tolerance for RPGs is higher than most (hell I'm playing through Stonekeep right now). I wouldn't rush to pay $6 for it or anything.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

al-azad posted:

I thought it was okay, actually, but my tolerance for RPGs is higher than most (hell I'm playing through Stonekeep right now).

Woah there, partner, what are you insinuating?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Woah there, partner, what are you insinuating?

Stonekeep is really pissing me off. Out of all the Dungeon Keeper clones I've played it's really near the bottom with its ugly rear end presentation and terrible interface. But it has that je ne sais quoi I can't put my finger on. It's challenging enough that I want to continue playing but not too hard that I uninstall it immediately.

Also the poor doggy gets killed in the intro so gently caress Shadowlord whatever, I'm coming for his rear end.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I don't see the similarity with Dungeon Keeper, unless you're talking aesthetics? And while I do like the interface myself (it's immersive, like the Lands of Lore one), the game can't be called anything but slow, even plodding. Yet the setting's just.. Has something over it. It's earthy and musky, and, as you pointed out, the antagonist, Khull-Khuum, is a guy you just want to see going down in the end. He reminds me of the villain of that horrible Felix The Cat movie, of all things, eurgh.

It's not my favourite game, but it's got so much drat character I can't help finding it endearing.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I don't see the similarity with Dungeon Keeper, unless you're talking aesthetics?

I think he meant Dungeon Master, since that's also a first person dungeon crawler.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ah, yes, of course.

I've never played Dungeon Master, but it's also somewhat puzzle based, isn't it?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Ah, yes, of course.

I've never played Dungeon Master, but it's also somewhat puzzle based, isn't it?

I haven't played too much of it, but its essentially the precursor to Legend of Grimrock in every way, so make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pengu! posted:

I haven't played too much of it, but its essentially the precursor to Legend of Grimrock in every way, so make of that what you will.

A bit of a bore and lacking any semblance of a setting?