Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BiggerJ posted:

Here's the remaining Apogee games:

• The Commander Keen Series (Available on Steam; Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter are still MIA)
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
  • Crystal Caves
  • Math Rescue
  • Mystic Towers
  • Paganitzu
  • Wolfenstein 3D (Available on Steam)
  • Word Rescue

Crystal Caves is already on Gog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Either I can't find any posts about it or nobody mentioned it, which is odd, because I think we were probably bummed about the fact that last we'd heard, the un-Gogged Apogee games were owned by people who either couldn't be tracked down or couldn't be dealt with, so you'd think we'd be at least a little happy about it regardless of its quality.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we're lucky Boppin' was released for free by its owner because said owner, Jennifer Diane Reitz, is craaazy. I shall leave any further research and Encyclopedia Dramatica-ing as an exercise for the reader.

A spamtastic re-revised list:

• The Commander Keen Series (Available on Steam; Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter are still MIA)
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
  • Math Rescue
  • Mystic Towers
  • Paganitzu
  • Wolfenstein 3D (Available on Steam)
  • Word Rescue

The Commander Keen series (even if the owners of the other two games can somehow been found and dealt with) and Wolfenstein 3D are, of course, lost causes because of Zenimax and their love affair with DRM.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I loved crystal caves as a kid and I love it now. A great lunchtime game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

[*]Mystic Towers

I want mystic towers so bad on gog. Granted, I own the full game on floppys so I don't have many moral issues downloading it elsewhere, but everyone should get to experience the joy that is being a drunk farting old wizard getting eaten by a flying red mushroom

also the music ruled and the sound effects were scary as gently caress to 8 year old me

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Saoshyant posted:

New release: the Hugo Trilogy ($6), composed of three very early 90's point-and-click adventure games:

* Hugo's House of Horrors
* Hugo II: Whodunit?
* Hugo III: Jungle of Doom!

Was anyone feeling nostalgia for these? I can't imagine they hold up at all nowadays.

They're goofy as hell but they aren't that good. I'm wonder what there is to pay for these anyway. Weren't these games basically working under some weird payment model where the game was free to get but there would be one super weird puzzle that you would have had to buy the hintbook for (in this pre-GameFAQs world that once upon a time existed)?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we're lucky Boppin' was released for free by its owner because said owner, Jennifer Diane Reitz, is craaazy. I shall leave any further research and Encyclopedia Dramatica-ing as an exercise for the reader.

Encyclopedia Dramatica posted:

Since JDR is an ugly man/woman and doesn't have to leave his/her house for work or anything of the sort, he/she is essentially a crazy shut-in, and as such spends all his/her time online being a crazy little bitch.

Good to know.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

They're goofy as hell but they aren't that good. I'm wonder what there is to pay for these anyway. Weren't these games basically working under some weird payment model where the game was free to get but there would be one super weird puzzle that you would have had to buy the hintbook for (in this pre-GameFAQs world that once upon a time existed)?

I remember them being really janky even when they were new, and the first one, possibly two did have an utterly baffling question that had to be answered in order to progress. In the first one it was 'What was the name of Roy Rogers's dog?' This was a few years from the Web going big, let alone Wikipedia or proper search engines. The third one tossed that out in favor of an item check, so it was actually beatable without outside information.

saucerman posted:

Good to know.

JDR has a very long, very colorful, and very sad history. I've seen a couple of good summaries, but encyclopedia dramatica isn't host to either of them.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Mystic Towers is the one I'm still waiting for.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Weekend deal is up--lot of good titles for sale

http://www.gog.com/promo/ea_weekend_promo_220814

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I used to play simcity 2000 a bunch during lunchtime at high school (I had no friends :smith:) will I still appreciate it now, or would SimCity 4 be the better purchase?

Also it would probably be a lot easier to play 2000 on my lovely work laptop, I imagine 4 will have to go onto my proper PC.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

NZAmoeba posted:

I used to play simcity 2000 a bunch during lunchtime at high school (I had no friends :smith:) will I still appreciate it now, or would SimCity 4 be the better purchase?

Also it would probably be a lot easier to play 2000 on my lovely work laptop, I imagine 4 will have to go onto my proper PC.

I felt the same way, and bought Sim City 2000 about two years ago. I forgot that you needed power lines connected on everything to work early on. If there was another way, I sure as poo poo didn't know then when i was a kid, and i still don't know now. I don't get why Sim City 3000 is still not on the list, the soundtrack was loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzWLwASzJpM

Sim City 4 still holds the title as the most complete Sim City out there.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 23, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Questions for anyone who has Strike Commander: are the keyboard and mouse controls decent and will using emulated MT-32 make the music sound almost identical to this because the tinny SB music is really awful sounding to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRvxC4wpDo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Oh my loving god Wacky Wheels is available on GoG!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Bieeardo posted:

JDR has a very long, very colorful, and very sad history. I've seen a couple of good summaries, but encyclopedia dramatica isn't host to either of them.

Encyclopedia Dramatica is just the only place I knew of that had any kind of summary. Sorry for the derail, but could you please post links to those summaries you mentioned?

Edit: The 3D Realms online store no longer exists. This may have been the catalyst for the recent release of Monster Bash, Crystal Caves and Wacky Wheels.

Edit2: I was mistaken - although the separate store site no longer exists, the 'BUY IT!' links on the individual game pages still work. But with my luck, if I bought any of the un-GOGged games it'd end up on GOG the next day.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 24, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Oh look, an EA sale! Time to grab the rest of the Wing Commander series as I've been on a space combat sim kick lately, ever since learning more about Star Citizen.

On a side note, has anyone ever gone through their library and go, "I don't remember buying this?" I am at that point now. :psyduck:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

I've been on a space combat sim kick lately, ever since learning more about Star Citizen.
:psyduck:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I don't pay attention to gaming news that much. :shrug:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Starhawk64 posted:

I don't pay attention to gaming news that much. :shrug:

I think you missed his point.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Starhawk64 posted:

On a side note, has anyone ever gone through their library and go, "I don't remember buying this?" I am at that point now. :psyduck:

This happened to me long ago. I blame those insomnia sales - I'm sleep deprived, it only costs $1.49, I ended up with 178 games in my library. That's just on GOG. Steam's a whole 'nother mess. But at least I can also pin some of those on Humble Bundles and the rationalization goes on into the night.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
It's nice to see that we are a step closer to having all of the classic Apogee catalog on GOG. I noticed a couple of days ago that Wacky Wheels made it onto the site and all we really need are Math Rescue, Word Rescue, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Mystic Towers and Paganitzu. All other games not on GOG are either on Steam or freeware.

Funny thing is, you can't even buy those now since buy3drealms.com expired almost 2 weeks ago. Who knows if it will get renewed or not.

For anyone else who wants to keep score: http://www.3drealms.com/games.html

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Funny thing is, you can't even buy those now since buy3drealms.com expired almost 2 weeks ago. Who knows if it will get renewed or not.

For anyone else who wants to keep score: http://www.3drealms.com/games.html

Actually, the 'BUY IT!' graphic links on the individual game pages seem to work. I haven't tested it by trying to buy anything yet, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

The new owners of 3D Realms are building a new website that presumably doesn't date back to the late 90s. I'd imagine they'll roll their own replacement for the buy3dr site as a part of it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lots of news today! They redesigned their site and are adding new features like local pricing, have started selling some utterly cringeworthy-looking movies DRM-free and are running a last-call sale on some games they're removing because what kind of idiot morons want to sell old games when we have whole documentaries about cartoon horse fetishists?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rejoice everyone! Jack Keane is on that last chance list! Never again will it blight our sales. :woop:

Some really cool games are also on it though. :smith:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Anything absolutely worth getting on that list? I'm not really familiar with most of them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's a lot of games they are removing. What's the deal?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jesus, that redesign is ugly as hell.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Regional pricing is not a feature, GOG.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

What? There's a whole lot of good/respectable games on that list.

I hope they're not losing publishers because of bad numbers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Probably just a day one glitch, but I don't see the game list mentioning if you already own a game already (the promo page still greys out your owned games). It still gives you the option to put it in your cart and only tells you you own it when you go to checkout.

Also, they have to remove those games because they mentioned that publisher apparently has a problem with their new regional currency policy/pricing thingie.

EDIT: It's interesting that they mention in the "new site" video that all the documentaries are at $5.99, but technically it looks like it's only a temporary sale on some of them since a few are listed at $9.99 with discount. I guess they'll follow the $6/$10 scheme that they do with old games.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 27, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GreenNight posted:

That's a lot of games they are removing. What's the deal?

Most of them seem to be published by Nordic Games, wonder if something is happening on their front, legally. Or maybe they're just pulling out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Clouseau posted:

Anything absolutely worth getting on that list? I'm not really familiar with most of them.

Amnesia, Guild: The Renaissance, Painkiller, Full Spectrum Warriors (either) are to me the only must-haves.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

At first I was thinking the promo was another fake out like the Atari sale because Nordic is rebranding themselves as THQ but it makes total sense that Nordic is pulling out because of pricing if that's true.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Amnesia, Guild: The Renaissance, Painkiller, Full Spectrum Warriors (either) are to me the only must-haves.
The Dark Falls are neat too.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The Guild: Renaissance is only worth getting if you get the fanpatch for it as well, whose name and link escapes me at the moment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Probably just a day one glitch, but I don't see the game list mentioning if you already own a game already (the promo page still greys out your owned games). It still gives you the option to put it in your cart and only tells you you own it when you go to checkout.

Also, they have to remove those games because they mentioned that publisher apparently has a problem with their new regional currency policy/pricing thingie.

EDIT: It's interesting that they mention in the "new site" video that all the documentaries are at $5.99, but technically it looks like it's only a temporary sale on some of them since a few are listed at $9.99 with discount. I guess they'll follow the $6/$10 scheme that they do with old games.

I thought publishers generally liked regional pricing? Though I wouldn't be surprised if GOG is still trying to push on "local currency equivalent of the lowest price elsewhere" form of regional pricing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kibayasu posted:

I thought publishers generally liked regional pricing? Though I wouldn't be surprised if GOG is still trying to push on "local currency equivalent of the lowest price elsewhere" form of regional pricing.

GOG is allowing people to choose between regional pricing or USD. I imagine that doesn't sit well with some publishers.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This highly anticipated documentary follows arcade owner and punk rockstar Richie Knucklez as he creates one of the biggest arcade phenomena in the world. The rollercoaster of success winds through 1980s nostalgia and takes your breath away as it climbs to unexpected destinations. Follow the rise and fall of the King of Arcades as one man pursues his dream against all odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I snatched Gothic 2 and 3, and Amnesia. I already own Gothic 2 in physical format, but I like the idea of having a digital copy.