Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh I don't blame them at all for branching out into newer games. Its just I feel no desire to get them on GoG when I have steam for new games. :shrug:

Same here. I wish I had a magic way for GOG to make money and add the other 100 or so old games I'd actually buy from them to their library, without having to try to compete with Goliath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

ToxicFrog posted:

How are the Gothic games? I played Gothic 2 briefly back in the day, but found the UI completely impenetrable and the difficulty unforgiving.
I played both the first Gothic, and Gothic 2 to their conclusion. I'd say that Gothic 2 isn't quite as hard and unforgiving as the first, but that might just be expectation and experience. Once you figure out certain things about the interface, particularly how to handle weapons, things go much more smoothly. I've also seen very few games match its sense of exploration and danger.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Peas and Rice posted:

The documentary thing is interesting - I hope it might lead to them actually commercializing original content about games (old games!), which would be loving rad. Mini documentaries about Quest for Glory? Sign me the gently caress up.

Or they could fund and host special editions of Matt Chat or Classic Game Room. Their recent collaboration with Total Biscuit on Citizen Kabuto wasn't bad either. Sometimes watching stuff about old games is more fun (and less work) than playing them.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

doctorfrog posted:

Or they could fund and host special editions of Matt Chat or Classic Game Room. Their recent collaboration with Total Biscuit on Citizen Kabuto wasn't bad either. Sometimes watching stuff about old games is more fun (and less work) than playing them.

gently caress, my Let's Play videos of QFG still get dozens of hits a week, and as many comments, and I did that poo poo back in 2008.

Imagine if instead of posting it to YouTube I'd put it on GOG with commentary from the devs I interviewed during the thread I ran on it, and charged $2.50 per person for a subscription to the whole thing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

How are the Gothic games? I played Gothic 2 briefly back in the day, but found the UI completely impenetrable and the difficulty unforgiving.
Gothic is a breeze once you get the hang of it, but before you get the swordplay down, anything in the game can kill you. I like Gothic 2 a bunch, it is quirky as hell. There's a quest to blend weed and smoke up a gardener ffs.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh I don't blame them at all for branching out into newer games. Its just I feel no desire to get them on GoG when I have steam for new games. :shrug:

I'm the opposite. I've kind of gotten sick of Steam and their obnoxious adds and unintuitive interface, so I give GOG first priority for any games that come out on it. GOG frequently gets games later than Steam (recent examples: Sim City 4, Mark of the Ninja), often after I buy them on Steam, but I buy them again on GOG to show support. I'm sick of greedy digital juggernauts and their DRM bullshit (gently caress you Blizzard and your always-online Diablo 3) and Steam's bollox claims that you can play any game offline (this just in: load of poo poo), so I admire and support a company that just says "buy these games and we'll let you do whatever the gently caress you want with them." Tons of studies have been done to show that piracy has a negligible impact on sales and profits in the gaming industry, but these egotistical fucks just keep pouring money into trying to stop it... may as well try to soak up a tsunami with a washrag.

Someone offered to split a 2-pack of Original Sin with me on Steam, but I turned it down to hold out for the GOG version. I don't pretend that I'm not a small minority, but I support GOG all the way. Recent changes and all of those games being pulled from their catalogue make me sad and a little nervous, to be honest.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The only games that are going away that aren't on Steam that I don't already have are Silver, Panzer Elite, Alien Nations, and The Nations: Gold Edition.

Definitely getting Silver for $1.49. How are the other three games?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

doctorfrog posted:

It looks like hot boiled anus, but also like one of those games that's not bad and pretty unique if you get into it. Bought for a buck fifty.

How's the online on it? How's the flow, and is it versus only?

The original Freedom Force game was powered by the Gamespy servers and you needed Gamespy arcade to connect to people. About a month into the game coming out there was only like 15-20 people playing Freedom Force. Not because the game was terrible, but because it had a specific issue where the more particles you throw out, the more likely you will end up ejecting you and all the players out of the match due to lag.

It didn't really help that most people just made a custom super powered gently caress you dude that killed most people in one or two hits, like a knockoff of superman punching the equivalent of a human carjacking hoodlum. The people that I played with did mostly controlled matches, and if you wanted to bring in a hero with a custom model and wanted people to see it, you had to have the person against you have the same downloaded models.

You were mostly reduced to humanoid models if you wanted to create stuff at first. One neat thing was to copy and extract all of the models from the .pak ( think it was a pak file) using winzip, and onto your models folder (if i remember right) and it let you create heroes from every single model from the game, including some unused, but later introduced into the 3rd reich, and all the special villains/henchmen you could not access normally.

Long story short though? The flow of the multiplayer match was always dependant on the person that you were playing with. If it was somebody you knew who didn't want to be a dick and put some heroes with weaknesses, you could have a good match. If not, then it turns into an arms race of bitter rematches as you scramble for your own created uberheroes made just for this occasion, and at the end of it, you're pretty much unsatisfied.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm looking at this sale list and for some reason I have Summoner wishlisted. Yay or nay?
Also, is the original Red Faction worth playing today?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Peas and Rice posted:

gently caress, my Let's Play videos of QFG still get dozens of hits a week, and as many comments, and I did that poo poo back in 2008.

Imagine if instead of posting it to YouTube I'd put it on GOG with commentary from the devs I interviewed during the thread I ran on it, and charged $2.50 per person for a subscription to the whole thing.

No one would have seen it, because no one would have paid. I'm not making GBS threads on your LP, I haven't watched it but I've watched and enjoyed a number of other LPs, and I know if there was a pay gate no one would have watched any of those ones either.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I'm looking at this sale list and for some reason I have Summoner wishlisted. Yay or nay?
Also, is the original Red Faction worth playing today?

play original red faction until you experience the geo-mod stuff then uninstall it.
it was volitions attempt to do half life 1, and isn't worth playing through unless you enjoy the combat and plot.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
The GOG site refresh is really ugly. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spider wisdom posted:

The GOG site refresh is really ugly. :(

Why would you redesign the site to be "better for mobile devices" when nothing on it can run on one? :psyduck:

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I'm a bit late to it all, but does "last chance" mean the game will never be on sale again, or that the game will never be on GOG again?

All the site changes are confusing me so. :ohdear:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

tuluk posted:

play original red faction until you experience the geo-mod stuff then uninstall it.
it was volitions attempt to do half life 1, and isn't worth playing through unless you enjoy the combat and plot.

Then Red Faction 2 is their attempt to do Daikatana, I'm pretty sure. They nailed it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

NadaTooma posted:

I'm a bit late to it all, but does "last chance" mean the game will never be on sale again, or that the game will never be on GOG again?

All the site changes are confusing me so. :ohdear:

As in no longer being sold on GOG for any price. Kinda like Fallout.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

C-Euro posted:

The only reason I never finished Summoner (at least the boxed copy I had) was encountering a bug that halted the plot progression. I could not find a patch for it, nor a solution for it online (and apparently I was one of the few unlucky ones that ran into it). And the only real solution seemed to be restarting the game from the beginning, and hoping to avoid triggering the bug. I liked the game well enough, but back then I just gave up and played the next shiny thing instead.

I snatched Summoner as well, as I can't seem to find my DVD anymore. :sigh:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why would you redesign the site to be "better for mobile devices" when nothing on it can run on one? :psyduck:

Because people buy stuff when using their smartphone?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone got anything to say on whether or not Silver is worth getting?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Then Red Faction 2 is their attempt to do Daikatana, I'm pretty sure. They nailed it.

You missed Red Faction 2 being designed for consoles and having overall worse graphics & more restricted gameplay than Red Faction 1.
I'd call Red Faction 2 volition's attempt to do Metal Gear Solid with less sneaking and worse boss fights.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Local payment options, finally.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think the current UK Witcher 3 price isn't too bad at the moment if you own the previous 2 games. Just paid £36.49 and got £12.60 store credit.

Edit: Aw, it must've been a mistake their end as they're not offering that much anyone. Comparisons:

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 28, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How's Gothic 3? I remember hearing disappointed comments about it when it came out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Athletic Footjob posted:

I think the current UK Witcher 3 price isn't too bad at the moment if you own the previous 2 games. Just paid £36.49 and got £12.60 store credit.

It's still a £50 RRP, which is just loving insane.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone got anything to say on whether or not Silver is worth getting?

I have fond memories of Silver and I bought it a couple of sales ago. It hadn't aged super-gracefully what with the pre-rendered backgrounds and action-RPG gameplay and I had some trouble with the perspectives and directions. It was still fun though and definitely worth $1.49 considering it's going away for good.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
They've removed the prices from the wishlist page so I can't use it to cross reference games I fancy with games on sale.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Hidden Asbestos posted:

They've removed the prices from the wishlist page so I can't use it to cross reference games I fancy with games on sale.

IsThereAnyDeal.com

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New releases are Hogs of War which is basically Worms except with PS1-era 3D and Rik Mayal shouting over the top, and QUBE: We're Honestly Surprised That This Hasn't Been In A Humble Bundle Yet Edition.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Kins posted:

New releases are Hogs of War which is basically Worms except with PS1-era 3D and Rik Mayal shouting over the top,

Buying it solely for this reason. Rest in peace you hilarious man.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

New releases are Hogs of War which is basically Worms except with PS1-era 3D and Rik Mayal shouting over the top
Oh hey, I've heard of this game before via a friend who mentioned it was hard to get working on a modern PC. He's gonna be super happy hearing about this.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Does Wacky Wheels still hold up? I remember loving the poo poo out of it when I was a kid, but I just want to be sure it hasn't aged bad before buying it.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

yeah, i'd like to know the same.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I've never played Wacky Wheels, so I quickly hacked together shareware version with DOSBox SVN to check it. If anyone is interested, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dzu2xvtkg3nikz/wwheels.zip?dl=0

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

closeted republican posted:

Does Wacky Wheels still hold up? I remember loving the poo poo out of it when I was a kid, but I just want to be sure it hasn't aged bad before buying it.

I'd say that it still does hold up. It's missing some quality of life stuff in modern kart racers like powersliding but it's still pretty fun.

The Kins posted:

New releases are Hogs of War which is basically Worms except with PS1-era 3D and Rik Mayal shouting over the top, and QUBE: We're Honestly Surprised That This Hasn't Been In A Humble Bundle Yet Edition.

Oh my god, I'm so happy to see Hogs of War on here. I used to play it all the time on my PS1 but the disk broke. The jokes are a little bit stereotypical but Rik Mayall is just fantastic in it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

double nine posted:

How's Gothic 3? I remember hearing disappointed comments about it when it came out.

It's good. The complaints when it first came out were mostly due to two things: horrible performance and bugs, and animals stunlocking you to death in combat. Both of those issues were addressed in later patches, and especially the community patch.

Weapon combat is not as good as Gothic 1/2, and it's annoying not being able to burglarize everything in town because of psychic guards. Other than that though it's got a lot going for it--a huge world, (some places better than others--the snowy area is confusing as hell) tons of quests, and lots of loot/places to explore. It's more of an open-world game than the first two Gothic games, and has less structure to it. Gothic 3 is a slightly different style of game than Gothic 1/2, but they're both pretty good.

The Gothic 3 stand-alone expansion, on the other hand, is atrocious to the point of likely not being salvageable. It was farmed out to the lowest bidder as a cash grab, and is virtually unplayable with all the broken quest lines--IIRC you couldn't even win the game on release. Even the final patch didn't fix everything, and no fans have been crazy enough to make a community patch for it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

closeted republican posted:

From what I can remember about it, it's a little on the janky side compared to Super Mario Kart on the SNES and not as polished, but it has enough personality to stand on it's own.

The best thing I would recommended is to throw the shareware version into DOSBox and give it a try yourself. It's not going to go into the Top 10 Best Racing Games Ever for most people, but it's fun in its unique way.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I took the advice of others and played the shareware version of Wacky Wheels. It's pretty fun even though it's simple, but I never expected anything complex in WW. It removes my biggest pet-peeves with SMK, like the stupid map that takes up half of the screen, the coin system, and the cheating AI, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. I feel that the levels included with the shareware version can be kinda samey at times, but overall I think I'll be buying WW.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

new site design looks pretty meh

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Megadyptes posted:

new site design looks pretty meh

Agreed. Plus, it doesn't seem to differentiate between games owned and games not owned, so browsing is bags of fun. Might be a server overload from the changeover - if so, I hope that it sorts itself out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I need a honest opinion about Quest for Glory games, did they really aged badly and are obtuse as some people are saying or are the only savagable pieces from Sierra's adventure catalog?