Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

laserghost posted:

I need a honest opinion about Quest for Glory games, did they really aged badly and are obtuse as some people are saying or are the only savagable pieces from Sierra's adventure catalog?

No one can give you an honest opinion because nostalgia gets in the way. I love them all, and replay them every year or so, although I think QfG5 is the weakest of the lot.

I say buy them, but be sure to play the QfG2 VGA remake instead of the EGA original: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

laserghost posted:

I need a honest opinion about Quest for Glory games, did they really aged badly and are obtuse as some people are saying or are the only savagable pieces from Sierra's adventure catalog?

Which people. I will fight them.

Seriously, I feel they've aged really well for Sierra games. There are some obtuse puzzles and the graphics aren't always great, and Quest for Glory 5 is relatively poor compared to the other games.

I don't know what it would be like to encounter them without ever playing them, because they were a major part of my formative years, and I replay them every couple of years or so still.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I played QfG 1 for the first time last year and had a pretty good time with it, for what it's worth. It hasn't aged perfectly of course but it wasn't super janky like some old games either.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Oh, I forgot about the VGA remake, shame on me. Gonna check it and then decide what next. Thanks for your recommendations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Specifically QFG1 has this problem where some of the puzzles are kings quest level obtuse but other than that they are really cool and interesting games that get around the hosed up thing about adventure games (that only one specific thing works and it only makes sense to the programmer) by having several ways to solve alot of the puzzles.

also QFG5 is the only one I played when i was young (i got the others on gog years later) and i will defend the hell out of that turd :colbert:

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
The QFG games have aged the best of all the sierra games, by far*. They are, however, still sierra games. For example, they don't have bullshit "you died because of a decision you made two hours ago that made the game unwinnable" deaths like pretty much all the other sierra games, but they still have a lot of deaths and a couple of strange puzzle solutions. So it's nearly impossible to know if someone would like them or not without knowing their tolerance for general sierra-era adventure game stuff. Still, if you're curious enough to even ask the question, I'd say go for it. They're among my favorite games of that era, and the only sierra games I'd ever replay these days.

*I like Conquest of the Longbow, as well. Just not as much as QFG.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I completed the original QFTG (aka Hero's Quest: So you want to be a hero?) with text command UI, multiple times (at least once with each class), and most of them when I was younger and close to the time it came out. I still think it as the best of the series, with the 4rth one comming second only because I liked its atmosphere and parts of its story, and because it felt closer to the gameplay of the original.

I found the 2nd (Trial by Fire) too restricting and less fun -and the maze was bullshit. The 3rd one was ok at first, and boring soon after (...).

The 5th one I remember to sort of liking but I never finished it and I forget why. I saw some videos on youtube from an advanced point recently and I am ok that I stopped that poo poo.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

AbstractNapper posted:

I completed the original QFTG (aka Hero's Quest: So you want to be a hero?) with text command UI, multiple times (at least once with each class), and most of them when I was younger and close to the time it came out. I still think it as the best of the series, with the 4rth one comming second only because I liked its atmosphere and parts of its story, and because it felt closer to the gameplay of the original.

I found the 2nd (Trial by Fire) too restricting and less fun -and the maze was bullshit. The 3rd one was ok at first, and boring soon after (...).

The 5th one I remember to sort of liking but I never finished it and I forget why. I saw some videos on youtube from an advanced point recently and I am ok that I stopped that poo poo.

The VGA fan remake of Trial By Fire cuts down on some of the bullshit and really makes it flow better without changing anything of substance--I highly recommend it.

The third one was shoehorned in when they looked at the meta-narrative and realized they needed a bit more filler/development for the Hero's Journey. So looking at it from a "this game was never supposed to exist" perspective, it's a damned impressive showing. And it enabled them to really knock the ball out of the park with QFG 4, which is probably one of the best games of all time. Of all time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Your progress in the VGA remake of 1 can carry over to this remake of 2 right?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Accordion Man posted:

Your progress in the VGA remake of 1 can carry over to this remake of 2 right?

Yes, they made it totally import/export compatible. It's a really well-done remake.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

OAquinas posted:

The VGA fan remake of Trial By Fire cuts down on some of the bullshit and really makes it flow better without changing anything of substance--I highly recommend it.

The third one was shoehorned in when they looked at the meta-narrative and realized they needed a bit more filler/development for the Hero's Journey. So looking at it from a "this game was never supposed to exist" perspective, it's a damned impressive showing. And it enabled them to really knock the ball out of the park with QFG 4, which is probably one of the best games of all time. Of all time.

I remember back years ago when I played through the games that QFG4 was unplayably buggy though. Did it get any fan patches?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Krowley posted:

I remember back years ago when I played through the games that QFG4 was unplayably buggy though. Did it get any fan patches?

Here you go - scroll down to the Quest for Glory IV section - the fan-made patch for the CD version is at the bottom of that section. It's not kidding when it says 'it is recommended that you start from scratch after installing the patch' - I think many Sierra games stored parts of the game script in save files for convenience, making unpatched saves perma-glitchy.

This whole site is invaluable for anyone playing any old Sierra game. GOG.com has included a fan-made patch in a non-Sierra/Activision game at least once, but Activision will never let them do it.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
How do I add games to my wishlist now, since the GOG redesign?

Edit: I derped, I was trying to add a game that was already on my wishlist.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Daler Mehndi posted:

How do I add games to my wishlist now, since the GOG redesign?

Edit: I derped, I was trying to add a game that was already on my wishlist.

Unless I'm missing something, it still doesn't differentiate between owned games and unowned. Is this just ongoing gently caress-up from the changes, or am I missing something?

By the way, yes, I am certain that I am logged in.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

JustJeff88 posted:

Unless I'm missing something, it still doesn't differentiate between owned games and unowned. Is this just ongoing gently caress-up from the changes, or am I missing something?

By the way, yes, I am certain that I am logged in.
Try a shift-refresh to force a full page reload. If you already own a game it should say 'owned' by default in the price field and then switch to showing the price when you mouse-over a game, and maybe you've still got old scripting code cached that's messing up that switching.

Edit: Oh and that's on the sale page. On the individual game pages, it should just say 'Owned' right underneath 'Buy Item'.

Halibut Barn fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 1, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So there's a little under seven hours left in the Last Chance sale.

I wasn't planning on buying any more games at the moment, but I've found that most of the games are available on Steam. However, I don't know if any of them run properly or have compatibility issues. The only game I can't seem to find anywhere else is Silver.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I wasn't planning on buying any more games at the moment, but I've found that most of the games are available on Steam. However, I don't know if any of them run properly or have compatibility issues. The only game I can't seem to find anywhere else is Silver.

I've found its almost always better to buy any games made before Windows XP (and even some that weren't) on GOG. Whatever people have to do to a game's files to make them run on Steam seem to be incompatible with a lot of the fixes or tricks discovered to make the old games run on modern systems.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Max Wilco posted:

I did a check on this the other day and the only games I saw that aren't on Steam are Silver, The Guild: Gold Edition, The Nations: Gold Edition, Alien Nations, and Panzer Elite Special Edition.

I already had The Guild and grabbed Silver, but after watching YouTube videos of the other three games, I passed on them since they didn't intrigue me.

I would definitely get The Guild and Silver for $3. Here's the whole list here:

http://www.gog.com/promo/last_chance_special_promo_270814

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At a buck fifty I just bought Panzer Elite. It's ugly as sin, but looks like fiddly fun for when I'm in the mood.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

JustJeff88 posted:

Plus, it doesn't seem to differentiate between games owned and games not owned, so browsing is bags of fun.

Has this stopped for you? Mine shows which ones I own and those that I do not.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I hope it's just a temporary glitch that the games I purchased in the 80% promo disappeared from my library. :catstare:

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Daler Mehndi posted:

I hope it's just a temporary glitch that the games I purchased in the 80% promo disappeared from my library. :catstare:

You are not alone. Apparently this has happened before when games were delisted for one reason or another, but odds are good that Top Men are working on the case on through the night.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/my_games_have_been_removed

next day edit: All of my missing stuff is back now, so you should be all sorted.

Bart Fargo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 2, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hey, whoever was maintaining a list of Apogee stuff not on GOG! You can tick Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure off the list.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

• The Commander Keen Series (Available on Steam; Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter are still MIA)
  • Math Rescue
  • Mystic Towers
  • Paganitzu
  • Wolfenstein 3D (Available on Steam)
  • Word Rescue

Come on mystic towers, I believe in you gog :v:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
That reminds me: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/let-s-get-keen-dreams-re-released-legally#activity

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

How did I miss this? :(

While Keen Dreams may not be the -best- Keen game, the graphics and choice of colours just.. Does something for me. Keen Dreams is one of the games that embodies my childhood, even though I never actually completed it back then. Huh.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I remember liking Aliens Ate My Babysitter much more than Keen Dreams, I wonder if the rights for AAMB are as easily transferred.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

THE BAR posted:

While Keen Dreams may not be the -best- Keen game, the graphics and choice of colours just.. Does something for me. Keen Dreams is one of the games that embodies my childhood, even though I never actually completed it back then. Huh.

You didn't miss much :v:

Clouseau posted:

I remember liking Aliens Ate My Babysitter much more than Keen Dreams, I wonder if the rights for AAMB are as easily transferred.

Probably not, AAMB is owned by Atari I'm pretty sure, whereas dreams was bought by a tiny company to port to mobile

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Kins posted:

Hey, whoever was maintaining a list of Apogee stuff not on GOG! You can tick Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure off the list.

:aaa: IT'S HAPPENING YOU GUYS.

A valiant effort for Keen Dreams too. It would be even better to get Aliens Ate My Babysitter on Steam and GOG too, but it's a start. Looks like it didn't make funding though. :(

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Charles Martel posted:

:aaa: IT'S HAPPENING YOU GUYS.

A valiant effort for Keen Dreams too. It would be even better to get Aliens Ate My Babysitter on Steam and GOG too, but it's a start. Looks like it didn't make funding though. :(

IndieGogo works different from Kickstarter, so the guy running the campaign actually got the 1200 they raised, which may have been enough to get the process started.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

choobs posted:

IndieGogo works different from Kickstarter, so the guy running the campaign actually got the 1200 they raised, which may have been enough to get the process started.

To be more accurate, IndieGogo has the option to work different from Kickstarter. In Keen Dreams' case they did indeed pick the option that they would receive all contributions whether they hit the goal or not but a project can also choose "Fixed Funding" which works like Kickstarter.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Ah, OK. I wasn't aware IndieGogo had that option. Good news then!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I never understood the appeal of Apogee games. They have the most hideous art design. Even back in the day I thought they were piss-ugly.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I never understood the appeal of Apogee games. They have the most hideous art design. Even back in the day I thought they were piss-ugly.

Nostalgia, and lots of it. I started really getting into PC gaming during the shareware era and played most of them when they were new.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm the weirdo who likes the symmetrical design of early PC platformers. I love that tile based design.

I also genuinely think they're good platformers, at least the Duke Nukem and Commander Keen games with their large expansive levels.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiV2FzlZuLc
:colbert: Certain ones are. Others are pure art.
whoever made the monster attack sounds is responsible for >50% of my childhood nightmares

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Bio-Menace (freeware) was one of my favorites. "Snake Logan. A CIA agent who likes to do things his way."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6aQ7NUkW60

Hocus Pocus (already on GOG) was another one I played the whole way through back then. Oh man, hearing the Apogee fanfare, the music in Level 1, and the "WAH-HOO!" when you pick up a key and finish a level bring back so many memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Q2ZqbfxfA

And of course, mother fuckin' Rise of the Triad (already on GOG):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqAQLHkRs18

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Wasteland 2 looks really great, but I just cannot get myself to pay $54 for any game. I'm trying to restrain myself by repeatedly thinking that it will be a buggy mess for at least the first few months after release.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Wasteland 2 looks really great, but I just cannot get myself to pay $54 for any game. I'm trying to restrain myself by repeatedly thinking that it will be a buggy mess for at least the first few months after release.

It's been in beta for three months now to make sure it's not a buggy mess, so it should hopefully be pretty good. Also, pretty sure they've previously stated the $60 price is for the beta and the final release price is probably going to be lower. Just wait for two weeks and buy it at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

Here you go - scroll down to the Quest for Glory IV section - the fan-made patch for the CD version is at the bottom of that section. It's not kidding when it says 'it is recommended that you start from scratch after installing the patch' - I think many Sierra games stored parts of the game script in save files for convenience, making unpatched saves perma-glitchy.

This whole site is invaluable for anyone playing any old Sierra game. GOG.com has included a fan-made patch in a non-Sierra/Activision game at least once, but Activision will never let them do it.

Great site - thanks for the link. What is the state of the QFG4 that GOG offers? Does it need a patch/can it be improved with any of those patches?