Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Do you think that GOG will get Legend of Grimrock 2 when it first comes out? They just announced the release date as 15 October, which is great (sooner than I expected), but I'm not sure if GOG will have it right away. They are selling it in pre-order with a DRM free copy and a Steam key, but I'm sick of Steam for about 100 reasons and I always give GOG precedence. Legend 1 has been up there for ages, but I can't remember if they got it straightaway when it first came out. I have no problem waiting a while to support GOG - I have tons of games in my backlog - but if they aren't getting it at all then I'll buy in advance from the publishers.

Secondly, did GOG or is GOG going to get the Hammerwatch expansion? They just released a free desert-themed expansion on Steam, but I haven't seen any hint of it on GOG. More idle curiousity, but I don't want GOG to be hurt competitively because of things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Shadowrun - Dragonfall: Director's Cut has been released on GOG.com. If you already purchased the Dragonfall DLC, you will get a link that lets you redeem a free copy in your account library, on the Shadowrun page.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

JustJeff88 posted:

Do you think that GOG will get Legend of Grimrock 2 when it first comes out? They just announced the release date as 15 October, which is great (sooner than I expected), but I'm not sure if GOG will have it right away. They are selling it in pre-order with a DRM free copy and a Steam key, but I'm sick of Steam for about 100 reasons and I always give GOG precedence. Legend 1 has been up there for ages, but I can't remember if they got it straightaway when it first came out. I have no problem waiting a while to support GOG - I have tons of games in my backlog - but if they aren't getting it at all then I'll buy in advance from the publishers.

Secondly, did GOG or is GOG going to get the Hammerwatch expansion? They just released a free desert-themed expansion on Steam, but I haven't seen any hint of it on GOG. More idle curiousity, but I don't want GOG to be hurt competitively because of things like that.

Grimrock 1 wasn't on GOG right away, IIRC. They probably made some kind of multi-title deal with the publisher when they got it. If it's the same publisher, then I'm sure they'll have it up for preorder 1-2 weeks before release.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

A random assortment of shooters is this weekend's promo. Reccomending Slave Zero, it's quite fun straightforward third-person shooter with robots, if you liked mecha missions from Shogo, this will be right down your alley. Alien Shooter games are pretty dumb but fun, if short (main campaign from the first one took me like an hour and half).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

laserghost posted:

A random assortment of shooters is this weekend's promo. Reccomending Slave Zero, it's quite fun straightforward third-person shooter with robots, if you liked mecha missions from Shogo, this will be right down your alley. Alien Shooter games are pretty dumb but fun, if short (main campaign from the first one took me like an hour and half).

I'll second Slave Zero... I dropped the $1.50 or whatever it was for the Director's Cut upgrade and it's a fun, nice-looking game.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's been in beta for three months now to make sure it's not a buggy mess, so it should hopefully be pretty good. Also, pretty sure they've previously stated the $60 price is for the beta and the final release price is probably going to be lower. Just wait for two weeks and buy it at release.

This turned out to be spot-on, LC. Wasteland just hit today and the regular edition is a much less egregious $40. I'm still going to wait and see if it drops around the holidays, but that's better. I've seen the content that comes with the "Digital Deluxe Edition" and I'm rather perplexed as to how it's worth $20 more.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 19, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

laserghost posted:

My rear end got booted over here from another thread for asking: How is SiN? I've only just heard of it, even though I was all about the older shooters when I was but a wee FPS lover.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'll second Slave Zero... I dropped the $1.50 or whatever it was for the Director's Cut upgrade and it's a fun, nice-looking game.

Err, do you mean Strike Suit Zero? That's the game with a director's cut...unless I'm missing something

Morter fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 19, 2014

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Morter posted:

My rear end got booted over here from another thread for asking: How is SiN? I've only just heard of it, even though I was all about the older shooters when I was but a wee FPS lover.

It's very much a classic run and gun fps. I don't think it's unfair to compare it to Quake 2, as it uses the same engine. It has a lot more color and humor though.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

JustJeff88 posted:

This turned out to be spot-on, LC. Wasteland just hit today and the regular edition is a much less egregious $40. I'm still going to wait and see if it drops around the holidays, but that's better. I've seen the content that comes with the "Digital Deluxe Edition" and I'm rather perplexed as to how it's worth $20 more.

Some of the Wasteland 2 Deluxe reviews complain that the price changed from $39 to $59. :doh:

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Morter posted:

IIRC it was a competent if somewhat juvenile Q2/HL 1 era manshoot. Some hitscan enemies, art style kind of Deux Ex-ish, decent levels with some alternate pathing, sort of a poor man's Duke Nukem vibe overall, and of course "jiggle physics." Seriously - probably the most work went into getting breasts to sway just so. Watch out for the cupboard doors though - they'll kill you :rolleyes:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
For the second time this week, my Paypal password has not worked on a site that I've purchased from before. Earlier this week it was a humble bundle, which I--in a panic--reset my password in case someone hacked it.

But now GOG isn't letting me log in through paypal, even after I'm making sure I'm typing the password correctly--ie copying the entry in the Saved Passwords list. This is redonkulous. Has anyone else gone through this?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Chaos Engine was a beautiful game on the Mega Drive, but I've heard some bad stuff about this port, what with the resolution being garbage and the controls less tight?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

THE BAR posted:

The Chaos Engine was a beautiful game on the Mega Drive, but I've heard some bad stuff about this port, what with the resolution being garbage and the controls less tight?

The Chaos Engine is actually a port of an Amiga game and those never did well ported which is why I'm holding out for future Amiga emulation.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's been in beta for three months now to make sure it's not a buggy mess, so it should hopefully be pretty good. Also, pretty sure they've previously stated the $60 price is for the beta and the final release price is probably going to be lower. Just wait for two weeks and buy it at release.

Its actually been in beta since December and they hammered the poo poo out of that game. It's unfortunate that it sounds like reviewers got some early code from 2-3 weeks ago because I've had literally zero issues on both my desktop and laptop.

This stands up there with Divinity: Original Sin. This is what Fallout 3 would have been if Interplay didn't go under. CRPGs are back, baby.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 22, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

al-azad posted:

This stands up there with Divinity: Original Sin. This is what Fallout 3 would have been if Interplay didn't go under. CRPGs are back, baby.

You were supposed to say horrible things to make me not want it, you bugger. :argh:

I really want both of those games, but I can't justify the $80 it would take for both, or even half that for one. Sadly, I don't see either one (including Divinity, which came out months ago) making the Christmas sales due to their high price tag and popularity.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

You were supposed to say horrible things to make me not want it, you bugger. :argh:

I really want both of those games, but I can't justify the $80 it would take for both, or even half that for one. Sadly, I don't see either one (including Divinity, which came out months ago) making the Christmas sales due to their high price tag and popularity.

You can buy divinity from goon steam sellers for like ~$20 :ssh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

New release: Vangers (1998), a mash-up of a racing game, an RPG, and a shooter. $6 and comes with the soundtrack.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Saoshyant posted:

New release: Vangers (1998), a mash-up of a racing game, an RPG, and a shooter. $6 and comes with the soundtrack.

Does anyone know what the hell about this freaky looking game?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just noticed that Hammerwatch got a patch today (possibly yesterday) on GOG... can anyone who owns the game see if the new expansion (been live on Steam for a week or so) is included? I'm at the office and I can't really install the game on my office PC due to it being rubbish.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I just noticed that Hammerwatch got a patch today (possibly yesterday) on GOG... can anyone who owns the game see if the new expansion (been live on Steam for a week or so) is included? I'm at the office and I can't really install the game on my office PC due to it being rubbish.

Wasn't that that loving terrible non-randomly-generated gauntlet clone with broken classes and no depth at all?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Raiden III hit GOG today too. Fair warning: there is no option for "TATE" (vertical screen mode) because this was a relatively barebones port from Cyberfront that's getting a rerelease.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zeether posted:

Raiden III hit GOG today too. Fair warning: there is no option for "TATE" (vertical screen mode) because this was a relatively barebones port from Cyberfront that's getting a rerelease.

Aw, really? I had the Raiden Legacy collection and was thinking about that. Sometimes a good, old-fashioned SHMUP really hits the spot.

By the way, I installed Hammerwatch on my office PC - it's not really playable, but the new expansion IS included if anyone was interested.

Mortimer posted:

Wasn't that that loving terrible non-randomly-generated gauntlet clone with broken classes and no depth at all?

Thank you for your useless and irrelevant contribution.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

FRACT OSC is on sale as a Gem Promo. It's really interesting, you wander around a TRON inspired world and have to solve Myst style puzzles that make 80's synth noises to progress, and it also has a built in music mixer that you unlock more instruments for as you solve puzzles. It's very cyberpunk.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zeether posted:

It has TATE and aspect ratio adjusts if you're running in fullscreen, scaling adjustments if you're running windowed. No scaling adjustments in fullscreen, no TATE or aspect ratio adjustments in windowed.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, I installed Hammerwatch on my office PC - it's not really playable, but the new expansion IS included if anyone was interested.

Do you play this single-player? I like the style but hardly play multi games much, and the balance seemed way off when I played solo. I struggled to get anywhere.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I think my most desired obscure game from a high profile developer is "Alien Legacy," by Sierra. Does anyone know if its available online for purchase anywhere? Particulary the updated CD-ROM version.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

sethsez posted:

It has TATE and aspect ratio adjusts if you're running in fullscreen, scaling adjustments if you're running windowed. No scaling adjustments in fullscreen, no TATE or aspect ratio adjustments in windowed.

Oh, whoops. Didn't read into it enough :downs:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It is depressing how GOG first got rid of "Old" then "Good" then "Games". Now they are making horrible puns about anime games: Pantsu-GAIDEN!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I don't know if "alright interface" was in their slogan, but they sure got rid of that, too!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
The problem with GOG is they're being stretched in multiple directions now. Selling copies of Blood can only go so far for them as a business. The golden years of GOG were right at the start when it was a new thing to sell old games again. Now that they're offering new indie games and movies, they can't possibly hold onto their core beliefs that they created at the start of the thing. There's not a lot of employees at GOG—and it doesn't help that other places like Humble are offering a similar service to GOG.

The one thing that GOG does really well is getting old games to run. It's too bad that mostly consists of tweaking values for DOSBox games instead of getting Windows 95 games to run in Windows 8.

I still love GOG and will continue to gladly do any testing for them, but the peak has definitely passed. I hope they surprise us again.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just want GOG Galaxy to come out so I have a simple way of patching GOG games like Steam.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I just want GOG Galaxy to come out so I have a simple way of patching GOG games like Steam.

I expect Galaxy will make it easier to set up MP for older games, too.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I kind of feel that GOG should go into a sort of hibernation with some skeleton crew to keep the site running, because they're literally at the point now where they're selling loving brony documentaries and needlessly rehashing their UI to justify paying marketing/design.

I've really enjoyed GOG for quite a few years, but they have to realize that they aren't going to be able to expand beyond old games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The site redesign was likely to make it play nicer with GOG Galaxy, not "just because."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

prometheusbound2 posted:

I think my most desired obscure game from a high profile developer is "Alien Legacy," by Sierra. Does anyone know if its available online for purchase anywhere? Particulary the updated CD-ROM version.

Last time I looked (which was, admittedly, years ago) it was kicking around on various abandonware sites that are generally pretty diligent about removing games that are still available for sale. So I'm guessing no.

I played AL for a while and I liked the concept, but the interface hasn't aged well and the plot triggers seem to be really fragile with respect to accidentally skipping major events and ending up with your advisors talking about events that everyone but you insists happened.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keenan posted:

The one thing that GOG does really well is getting old games to run. It's too bad that mostly consists of tweaking values for DOSBox games instead of getting Windows 95 games to run in Windows 8.

Very true on both counts. Despite the massive coup that was System Shock 2 and Wizardry 6-8, I've given up on ever seeing D.W. Bradley's Wizards & Warriors.

I want my elephant man, drat it!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The site redesign was likely to make it play nicer with GOG Galaxy, not "just because."

Isn't Galaxy its own application though? I don't see why it would require a website redesign.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gobblecoque posted:

Isn't Galaxy its own application though? I don't see why it would require a website redesign.

Steam uses its website as part of its main interface. Presumably the same will be the case with Galaxy.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

When they anounced the change they said it was to make the site more mobile friendly. Don't know if I'd agree with that, some of the buttons are bigger I guess.

Making it "compatible" with Galaxy might be another reason, though.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Saoshyant posted:

It is depressing how GOG first got rid of "Old" then "Good" then "Games". Now they are making horrible puns about anime games: Pantsu-GAIDEN!

Wow does this look terrible. The sound design is awful (when the girl gets hit by a multi-hit laser it plays like six copies of the same voice clip at once :effort:) and the bits of the UI you see in the preview look not-even-a-step above RPG Maker in quality.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Saoshyant posted:

I don't understand the pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wow does this look terrible. The sound design is awful (when the girl gets hit by a multi-hit laser it plays like six copies of the same voice clip at once :effort:) and the bits of the UI you see in the preview look not-even-a-step above RPG Maker in quality.

Check out the controller setup ui http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=237489878