Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

laserghost posted:

So, we're going to see a new publisher in 4 days or so? Any hints were dropped?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918256

Maybe my predictions re: Tron 2.0 being on Steam were correct. :stare:

Come on X-wing series on GOG.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

After getting the remake/remaster/whatever of Wings!, the original one is now also available on GOG. $6, comes with an "aviation manual".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Charles Martel posted:

Trip report form testing out the Anthology:

Oh God. After testing out Bio-Menace, Major Stryker, Wolf 3D, and Wacky Wheels, my nostalgia hard-on could cut diamonds. The music, the graphics, everything... :gizz:

All the games I've tried so far require zero configuration. They launch in full screen and sound and play beautifully. I think even Wolf3D is the fully un-altered version that Apogee used to re-sell back in the day too (the version in the id Anthology on Steam censored out some screens in the "Read This! section and took out the Aardwolf icon in the infamous maze in Episode 2 or 3). Some games have the option to view the game's manual right from the launcher and some don't. The sub-folder for the anthology under Program Files has the game neatly organized in their own folders.

This is a dream come true. Probably the best $20 I've spent in years.

Charles, what's the control situation like? I'm mostly interested in this because I'd like to play the Blake Stone games with modern WASD/Mouselook controls. There are ways to do that with Wolfenstein/Doom/Heretic etc, but not those two yet. They advertised "partial controller support", but I don't play FPS games with controllers.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So they are actually doing the huge countdown thing too, huh?
It better be Lucastarts/Disney then.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Maybe my predictions re: Tron 2.0 being in Steam were correct. :stare:

Oh my god, I will be hyped for X-Wing. I'd be cool with Galactic Battlegrounds too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Maybe my predictions re: Tron 2.0 being in Steam were correct. :stare:

And once again unless it includes SWAT 4 I don't care :colbert:

Not really, if it is Disney it'd be nice if they included Split/Second without SecuROM, and the X-Wing/TIE games I guess.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

AbstractNapper posted:

So they are actually doing the huge countdown thing too, huh?
It better be Lucastarts/Disney then.
It is, they have some countdown graphics that are in the style of Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Monkey Island.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/spoiler_alert_so_i_dug_into_the_countdown_thingy/page1

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

OH gently caress YES.

GOG Galaxy + X-wing Alliance = GIGANTIC MULTIPLAYER X WING BATTLES OH MY loving CHRIST PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Watch it be Buka Entertainment :v:

If it is Lucasarts I hope they use the DOS version of TIE Fighter, the CD-audio and the mish-mash of higher rez fonts in the Windows port were awful.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Peas and Rice posted:

OH gently caress YES.

GOG Galaxy + X-wing Alliance = GIGANTIC MULTIPLAYER X WING BATTLES OH MY loving CHRIST PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Stop doing this, my heart cannot take the inevitable disappointment.

swiftly rotating sprite-based explosions while john williams soars audibly in the background balancing the shields in this drat flypaper a-wing

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I'm bracing myself for the even more heartbreaking disappointment of Disney simply shoving all of the Steam-based LucasArts titles onto GOG and not actually adding any new (old) games like the X-Wing quadrilogy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

doctorfrog posted:

swiftly rotating sprite-based explosions while john williams soars audibly in the background balancing the shields in this drat flypaper a-wing

I will purchase a new joystick and take a day off work to play this for 24 hours straight and show everyone the might of a TIE fighter, the best craft known to mankind.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

the might of a TIE Interceptor, the best craft known to mankind.

I have fixed this statement for you.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
:eng101: There's a tiny spot between its quad lasers where you can't hit something.

The TIE fighter does not have this flaw.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

I'm bracing myself for the even more heartbreaking disappointment of Disney simply shoving all of the Steam-based LucasArts titles onto GOG and not actually adding any new (old) games like the X-Wing quadrilogy.

I think these kind of low expectations are for the best. Gog loves to tease at greatness. Not like they haven't delivered before, of course.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Yeah, almost certainly Disney.

The million dollar question is how many games in this deal are games that have not been already released on Steam? There's a pile of good Star Wars and LucasArts games already on Steam, and it'll be a massive disappointment if it turns out that GOG isn't getting anything else. I suspect we'll know pretty quickly, since GOG would want to get any exclusives they've nabbed ASAP.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Cross-Section posted:

I'm actually more optimistic this time around since GOG has a habit of asking for whatever they have and making the optimization/compatibility improvements on their own and not needing the publisher/developer to do much more than provide the master files.

When LA released the older games on Steam, they had ONE guy at LA working on it (he was a goon at the time), so there wasn't much support for the project to begin with and it was treated as an afterthought.

He later ended up telling me through PM's that basically, the CEO at LA changed halfway through the project. The new CEO didn't give a poo poo about releasing old games, and he said we were lucky to get what we eventually got, as he had asked about getting some better optimization tools in and more titles (specifically, there was an issue with JKII's soundtrack not having the right wrapper files) but was told no and to just wrap up what he was currently working on. He then ended up leaving the company a few months later IIRC.

So in this case, I'm going to certainly temper my expectations, but being that it's going on GOG, I'm more optimistic than I would be with a Steam release. Since GOG actually seems willing to devote time and resources to getting older titles to run/work when the publisher they've reached an agreement with doesn't want to bother with any of that and likely just wants their royalty checks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

:eng101: There's a tiny spot between its quad lasers where you can't hit something.

The TIE fighter does not have this flaw.

The TIE Fighter also didn't have quad lasers and doesn't look awesome. :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm actually more optimistic this time around since GOG has a habit of asking for whatever they have and making the optimization/compatibility improvements on their own and not needing the publisher/developer to do much more than provide the master files.

When LA released the older games on Steam, they had ONE guy at LA working on it (he was a goon at the time), so there wasn't much support for the project to begin with and it was treated as an afterthought.

He later ended up telling me through PM's that basically, the CEO at LA changed halfway through the project. The new CEO didn't give a poo poo about releasing old games, and he said we were lucky to get what we eventually got, as he had asked about getting some better optimization tools in and more titles (specifically, there was an issue with JKII's soundtrack not having the right wrapper files) but was told no and to just wrap up what he was currently working on. He then ended up leaving the company a few months later IIRC.

So in this case, I'm going to certainly temper my expectations, but being that it's going on GOG, I'm more optimistic than I would be with a Steam release. Since GOG actually seems willing to devote time and resources to getting older titles to run/work when the publisher they've reached an agreement with doesn't want to bother with any of that and likely just wants their royalty checks.

I still wouldn't mind tie-fighter getting the Monkey Island remake treatment.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The TIE Fighter also didn't have quad lasers and doesn't look awesome. :colbert:

I won't lie, the base TIE fighter is underpowered and as fragile as a butterfly, but there's something very appealing about its stripped-down beauty. The interceptor was definitely better, but for whatever reason I felt more at home in the cockpit of a fighter than anywhere else.

That said, load up a TIE bomber with Space Bombs, head for the exhaust vents of the nearest cap ship, and let 'em go 100 meters away. Your life expectancy isn't very good but the thrill of pulling it off is unmatched.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The TIE fighter had the tightest turning radius of any craft, which meant you could get right behind someone and NEVER get shot, as long as you could more or less keep matching their speed.

One of my proudest moments my freshman year of college was making my crazy russian roommate ragequit a game after I kept beating every craft he tossed at me in mah TIE fighter. :getin:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just a friendly reminder that the 3D Realms Anthology 50% off sale expires in less than 17 hours as of this post (so until 12PM EST tomorrow). It's not a native Steam collection, but I think it's the best we're ever going to get. $20 for 32 classic games:

Purchase link: https://3drealms.com/catalog/

Product Info: https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

JustJeff88 posted:

Charles, what's the control situation like? I'm mostly interested in this because I'd like to play the Blake Stone games with modern WASD/Mouselook controls. There are ways to do that with Wolfenstein/Doom/Heretic etc, but not those two yet. They advertised "partial controller support", but I don't play FPS games with controllers.

Sent you another PM. Short answer: No go on WASD.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm really just interested in Hulshult's bonus soundtrack, but I don't think that's worth $20 just for curiosity's sake, as I already have the games I want from this collection.

If it had Keen 6 and Dreams, then it would be another story entirely.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

THE BAR posted:

I'm really just interested in Hulshult's bonus soundtrack, but I don't think that's worth $20 just for curiosity's sake, as I already have the games I want from this collection.

I understand. All of the games that I like from there, mainly the FPS games, I already have on GOG. I was hoping that this collection addressed some control issues, in which case I would pay the $20, but it does not so I'll pass. Great idea, hope that it does well, but I can't justify it.

Between Ziggurat, Halfway, and Squishy the Pig, it's already been a fine week for new releases for me.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Hopefully the HD remake of Day of the Tentacle will see the light of day. Apparently it was quite close to completion before the project was stopped.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poolparty posted:

Hopefully the HD remake of Day of the Tentacle will see the light of day. Apparently it was quite close to completion before the project was stopped.

If it still even exists :sigh:. We can but hope.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

THE BAR posted:

The remix disc's available separately for :10bux:.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Was Daikatana ever free or a dollar or something because I just realized it's in my library from some reason?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Was Daikatana ever free or a dollar or something because I just realized it's in my library from some reason?

Sounds like someone just became John Romero's bitch

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I believe it was featured in a humblebundle once.

Well, at that price I might as well get the whole drat thing! :homebrew:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

THE BAR posted:

Well, at that price I might as well get the whole drat thing! :homebrew:

Yeah, even when the price goes up to $39.99, the soundtrack is still included. I would still buy it at that price, but I think everyone in this thread knows how much I love those games by now. :)

Here's a small taste of the soundtrack in addition to the original kickass trailer. The rendition of the Wacky Wheels theme song on the soundtrack is probably my favorite.

Edit: Apparently the sale on the anthology has been extended another 24 hours! https://3drealms.com/catalog/

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 25, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I played a shitton of Apogee/3D Realms games back in the day. This collection is a trip down memory lane and is a huge steal for :20bux:.
Well worth it alone for the kick-rear end soundtrack and you get it in glorious FLAC form. :rock:

Grab this collection if you love old rear end DOS games.

EDIT: Rofl, they added glasses to Duke's sprite in the 3D Realms Anthology version of Duke Nukem II.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 27, 2014

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

EDIT: Rofl, they added glasses to Duke's sprite in the 3D Realms Anthology version of Duke Nukem II.

Those were added for Steam's release, as well.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

But what's the point in it, if they have the original files? It doesn't have any sense

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

laserghost posted:

But what's the point in it, if they have the original files? It doesn't have any sense

It was by request of Scott "rear end in a top hat" Miller.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Commander Keenan, who is the new publisher? come on... you can tell the internet

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
For a while I was seeing hints that GOG was eventually going to get No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. Any recent news about that? I still have the original CDs but was really looking forward to being able to gift out a few copies from GOG. Did that fall though?

Help us Cate Archer, you're our only hope :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NadaTooma posted:

For a while I was seeing hints that GOG was eventually going to get No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. Any recent news about that? I still have the original CDs but was really looking forward to being able to gift out a few copies from GOG. Did that fall though?

Help us Cate Archer, you're our only hope :ohdear:

Maybe that's what's coming tomorrow night. But that would mean it's not LucasArts.... Oh dear, what a dilemma :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I love NOLF, but not so much that I would crush the dreams of thousands of LucasArts fans to get at it.

Or would I? :q: