Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

XWA may not be as memorable as TIE Fighter, but it's very solid and more "personal" because this time around you actually have a name and a family, you have personal quarters that become adorned with trophies you automatically collect by completing missions, and you get e-mails from other people between missions, much in the vein of Mass Effect 2/3 and Alpha Protocol. You also get to pilot a Corellian freighter (similar to the YT-1300/Millennium Falcon) with a turret, which is neat. Oh and with a little gimmickry you can fly a Super Star Destroyer in multiplayer.

I can understand why people enjoyed it for that reason, but personally I felt like the character stuff was a mark against XWA. It felt like they were retreading the same rebel archetypes all over again with the characters. The kooky robot, the hothead pilot etc. etc. I enjoyed the impersonal Imperial Navy, and playing a character who was mostly just a cog in a vast machine rather than The Hero Who Will Save Us All is still enough of a novelty in games that I appreciate it when it shows up. I thought those tattoos you get for being a part of the secret imperial order was unnecessarily showy and wish that it was just kept at some robed guy pulling you aside and saying "hey, do this while you're out there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sombrerotron posted:

That happens in XWA, actually!

Yeah. XWA had a pretty decent rendition of the Battle of Endor as a series if rather brutal missions. You even get to see the DSII swat a few cruisers (though its not as spectacular as it sounds).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I can understand why people enjoyed it for that reason, but personally I felt like the character stuff was a mark against XWA. It felt like they were retreading the same rebel archetypes all over again with the characters. The kooky robot, the hothead pilot etc. etc. I enjoyed the impersonal Imperial Navy, and playing a character who was mostly just a cog in a vast machine rather than The Hero Who Will Save Us All is still enough of a novelty in games that I appreciate it when it shows up. I thought those tattoos you get for being a part of the secret imperial order was unnecessarily showy and wish that it was just kept at some robed guy pulling you aside and saying "hey, do this while you're out there."

Eh Steele is basically god of TIE Fighters though. I wouldn't really call your protagonist just another cog given how insyrumental he becomes in the brief civil war. I mean, dude gets hand-picked to fly Wing for Vader.

Which reminds me, one of my favorite things about TIE is how the game rebuked you If you try to issue orders to Vader in that mission. :haw:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But are you actually Maarek Stele in the game? It's not like the Admiral who has a crush on him or the big lunk who becomes a storm trooper ever show up.

E: Well I'll be damned.
"Stele is the official player character (regardless of what pilot name is entered, in the same manner as Keyan Farlander and Ace Azzameen) in the 1994 game Star Wars: TIE Fighter and its subsequent expansions Defender of the Empire and Enemies of the Empire."
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maarek_Stele

Lodin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 30, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lodin posted:

But are you actually Maarek Stele in the game? It's not like the Admiral who has a crush on him or the big lunk who becomes a storm trooper ever show up.

That's correct. All the actual character stuff was written into the booklet that came with the game and in the strategy guide. In the game itself the character is nameless.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If EA/GOG wanted to get on the Chris Roberts gravy train they need to get some people from Totally Games and promise a master edition of XWA or a new sequel. I'd put money into that.

Funny enough XWA was rushed out the door in 1999 because that was a peak for the brand. They should do it again for Episode VII.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

McDowell posted:

If EA/GOG wanted to get on the Chris Roberts gravy train they need to get some people from Totally Games and promise a master edition of XWA or a new sequel. I'd put money into that.

Funny enough XWA was rushed out the door in 1999 because that was a peak for the brand. They should do it again for Episode VII.

Man is Totally Games even still around? Their website looks like it hasn't been updated since 2007.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Eh Steele is basically god of TIE Fighters though. I wouldn't really call your protagonist just another cog given how insyrumental he becomes in the brief civil war. I mean, dude gets hand-picked to fly Wing for Vader.

Which reminds me, one of my favorite things about TIE is how the game rebuked you If you try to issue orders to Vader in that mission. :haw:

Lodin posted:

E: Well I'll be damned.
"Stele is the official player character (regardless of what pilot name is entered, in the same manner as Keyan Farlander and Ace Azzameen) in the 1994 game Star Wars: TIE Fighter and its subsequent expansions Defender of the Empire and Enemies of the Empire."
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maarek_Stele

This is a pretty good example of why the less you know about the Star Wars extended universe the better off you are. I had no idea he was some important named character in the EU and that's unfortunate.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I doubt that anybody cares (excepting Beamdog) in this Lucas Arts frenzy, but Icewind Dale Enhanced just hit GOG. I am very pleased but quite surprised. Since it took many moons for the BG Enhanced games to come over, I did not expect it to be on GOG first day.

Very pleasantly surprised, but I am holding off on purchasing for the time being. Beamdog's reputation for bugginess and being slow to patch means I'm in no rush.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

This is a pretty good example of why the less you know about the Star Wars extended universe the better off you are. I had no idea he was some important named character in the EU and that's unfortunate.

Well even ignoring outside materials the protagonist of TIE is treated like a big deal after a few campaigns. Again Vader hand picks you fir a critical mission even though you're not one of his personal squadron pilots, Thrawn considers yoy vital to his plans , the whole secret order thing, and I'm pretty sure at one point Imperial Briefing Officer (my favorite character for his no nonsense dispassionate voice) literally says "All our hopes ride on you, Alpha One."

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I doubt that anybody cares (excepting Beamdog) in this Lucas Arts frenzy, but Icewind Dale Enhanced just hit GOG. I am very pleased but quite surprised. Since it took many moons for the BG Enhanced games to come over, I did not expect it to be on GOG first day.

Very pleasantly surprised, but I am holding off on purchasing for the time being. Beamdog's reputation for bugginess and being slow to patch means I'm in no rush.

Wasn't there some legal problems with BG:E? like iirc they had to revoke distribution of the first game and hold off on the second?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hollenhammer posted:

Wasn't there some legal problems with BG:E? like iirc they had to revoke distribution of the first game and hold off on the second?

I hadn't heard about such a thing, but it would make sense given that IWDEE was a day-one GOG release but it took BG1EE over 18 months. I'm just kind of tired of Steam and I always give GOG preference, but it's a bit of a pisser when I break down and buy a Steam game and then it shows up on GOG later. I just bought that game Ziggurat this morning on Steam because I was a fan of Heretic/Hexen, but I waited until the last minute just in case it came out in GOG this morning.

By the way, I'm not slagging off the Lucas Arts return and I absolutely understand why everyone is so chuffed for it - it's a historic moment in gaming on par with if not exceeding System Shock 2. That said, these games weren't part of my youth so I don't have the same emotional connection. I'm sure that they are fun, but I also don't have a joystick so I doubt that I would have the same experience. I wish that GOG would get Tachyon: The Fringe, which is a very fun but reasonably modern space game with the inimitable Bruce Campbell in the role of the protagonist (it is on Steam). It's genuinely a fun game and Bruce is as good as you can imagine as the jaded sarcastic pilot. I never got to finish it when it was new due to some horrible bug that crashed the game right before the climax.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well even ignoring outside materials the protagonist of TIE is treated like a big deal after a few campaigns. Again Vader hand picks you fir a critical mission even though you're not one of his personal squadron pilots, Thrawn considers yoy vital to his plans , the whole secret order thing, and I'm pretty sure at one point Imperial Briefing Officer (my favorite character for his no nonsense dispassionate voice) literally says "All our hopes ride on you, Alpha One."
In TIE Fighter you get to personally save Emperor Palpatine's life. I think that says it all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

He's important because of the game, not the other way around. The rest was added afterwards to reuse the character in other Star Wars stuff.

Sombrerotron posted:

That happens in XWA, actually!

And in Rogue Leader!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sombrerotron posted:

In TIE Fighter you get to personally save Emperor Palpatine's life. I think that says it all.

This is all true, but the game never really focuses on you as a character. Even when you're a super bad-rear end, you're still treated as just an asset, with the same goofy CO guy bossing your sorry rear end around. And I think its great.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

That's misunderstanding it. They gave him a name, for the sake of how the guide was done(As a story). His relation to the EU is 'none at all'; after the game, he/you disappears. No author has used him, no other reference is made. This despite the fact that it also shows what Thrawn was doing before the EU. Not even other games have used 'Marak Stele'.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here you go, you fuckers http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677414

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bloodly posted:

That's misunderstanding it. They gave him a name, for the sake of how the guide was done(As a story). His relation to the EU is 'none at all'; after the game, he/you disappears. No author has used him, no other reference is made. This despite the fact that it also shows what Thrawn was doing before the EU. Not even other games have used 'Marak Stele'.

He shows up in Star Wars: Galaxies, actually (as a cameo, but still).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm glad that anyone can enjoy TIE Fighter without knowing or caring anything about the Star Wars European Union.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I played TIE Fighter as a child without even knowing what Star Wars was. Imagine my surprise the first time I watched the movies half a decade later and realized "hey, those guys look a whole lot like that old game I liked so much!"

Made rooting for the dirty rebel scum hard, I admit. Fuckers and their dumb smuggling operations, scanning transports is so boring.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so how many Lucasarts games are getting released? Am I getting my hopes up too much for thinking we might get Dark Forces or Outlaws out of this?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the key thing I remember about the Star Wars EU was that there was a book about the Kessel Run that explained that Han Solo didn't misspeak when he used a measure of distance as time, the Kessel Run is actually a collection of black holes and speed is key so to be faster you need to get closer to the black holes and thus as you see here it is impressive and it certainly wasn't a long over-complex unneeded book to explain something stupid and the writer certainly didn't waste time on it.

Isn't it sort of a running gag with the EU that if something gets a mention or someone appears on screen, even for thirty seconds, they'll get a trilogy of novels explaining their relevance or how they came to be there?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Aces High posted:

so how many Lucasarts games are getting released? Am I getting my hopes up too much for thinking we might get Dark Forces or Outlaws out of this?

Dark forces has been out on Steam for ages.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

Isn't it sort of a running gag with the EU that if something gets a mention or someone appears on screen, even for thirty seconds, they'll get a trilogy of novels explaining their relevance or how they came to be there?

I wouldn't call that a running gag....

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Alchenar posted:

Dark forces has been out on Steam for ages.

Look at that, whole Jedi Knight collection. I still want Outlaws dammit :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Don't forget its about 50/50 odds they'll either be a secret Jedi or have had a set of Deathstar blueprints in their possession at some point.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Aces High posted:

Or Afterlife. That would be fantastic.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Aces High posted:

I'm desperately hoping for Afterlife, since I loaned my old CD copy to a friend in college and haven't played it since.

e:fb

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Afterlife is the game that thought me about Ponzi schemes. Buildings banks and loaning from them to pay off loans at other banks? Brilliant!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Aces High posted:

GOG has at different points indicated it would be anywhere from 20-30.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bloodly posted:

Not true. Stele shows up for a bit part in the first or second Fate of the Jedi novel. He's not given much to do, but he's called out by name.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I too hope for Outlaws, and for pete's sake, let it be with soundtrack. Fragment of this tune played at the end of demo, and goddamn it wakes so much memories I want to weep.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

macnbc posted:

GOG has at different points indicated it would be anywhere from 20-30.

Mother of god

e: If they could somehow get the FM Towns version of Loom out there... holy gently caress.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 30, 2014

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sky Shadowing posted:

Thirty seconds? Any and everything that ever shows up on screen for more than a passing frame has some incredible backstory.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lowen SoDium posted:

Thirty seconds? Any and everything that ever shows up on screen for more than a passing frame has some incredible backstory.

This. I remember there being a series of books that filled in the backstory of literally every single creature in the Cantina scene from New Hope. It had a chapter for each one.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I was... giving them the benefit of the doubt :stonk:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bloodly posted:

He actually does show up in one of the last books published in the old EU as part of a largely forgettable side plot.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

I wish that GOG would get Tachyon: The Fringe, which is a very fun but reasonably modern space game with the inimitable Bruce Campbell in the role of the protagonist (it is on Steam).
Always did want to try that because I'm a sucker for games with Bruce. Didn't know Steam had it so thanks for the info. Going on the wishlist.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was... giving them the benefit of the doubt :stonk:

Every character ever seen in any of the pilot briefing scenes in any of the films is guaranteed to have a 2000+ word wookieepedia entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lodin posted:

Always did want to try that because I'm a sucker for games with Bruce. Didn't know Steam had it so thanks for the info. Going on the wishlist.

Just saying that Tachyon: The Fringe is extremely good. I beat that game several times when I was a kid. Conversely, things like Freespace 2 weren't able to hold my attention. I'm not sure why. I guess I'm just broken.