Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Grandia II HD Edition is coming to GOG.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/grandia-ii-hd-edition-coming-to-gogcom-set-for-201/1100-6429172

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Welp, istheranydeal.com says Ziggurat's as cheap as it's ever been, and I'm getting bored with Eldritch, so... gettin' it!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Awesome news, the original PC version of Grandia II was all sorts of busted.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Dark Corners of the Earth on Steam is really buggy. I only could play it when it came out (retail), after upgrading my PC I never could play it again because is broken in several ways. There are some fan "fixes" and that stuff but is completely hit and miss.

It was also published by bethesda and therefore will probably never come to GoG.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If I remember right, the PC port was a one man job done in his spare time as the development studio he belonged to closed down. It's amazing it even runs at all, frankly.
The guy did it for free even, he loved the game that much and wanted to keep the studios promise of a PC version. The port is rear end but God bless that guy for the effort.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Today is a good day, because I found out that GoG finally has one of my most beloved titles, the fantastic Archimedean Dynasty. For those who haven't played it, it's basically Tie Fighter with submarines, with some really neat sim trappings (like managing noise levels to make turrets and torpedoes lose track of you, water currents etc.).

In the same release they got Albion as well, which I never got around to playing when it was new. I remember pretty positive reviews in the german magazines at the time, but then they always tended to treat local games nicely. Can anyone who has played it tell me if it's worth picking up?

fezball fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 1, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's an LP of Albion going on at the moment if you want to have a look.
The LPer introduces it as a game that's 'interesting but flawed'. Which describes at least 95% of the stuff on GoG, so go for it, I guess?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

fezball posted:

Today is a good day, because I found out that GoG finally has one of my most beloved titles, the fantastic Archimedean Dynasty. For those who haven't played it, it's basically Tie Fighter with submarines, with some really neat sim trappings (like managing noise levels to make turrets and torpedoes lose track of you, water currents etc.).

In the same release they got Albion as well, which I never got around to playing when it was new. I remember pretty positive reviews in the german magazines at the time, but then they always tended to treat local games nicely. Can anyone who has played it tell me if it's worth picking up?

I've tried to finish Albion twice. I generally lost interest about halfway through the game, but really enjoyed at least the first quarter. It's detailed and has a good setting and fun combat / party progression but then... at some point it always got boring for me. It it a mix of isometric (looks great) and early-3d dungeons that are basically ugly as sin and can get a bit tedious because while some of them are thoughtful enough to be decent, others are irritating mazes from two decades ago that at least for me were too boring to get through.

I don't think it's a bad idea to give it a try though. If you wind up liking the dungeons you'll probably enjoy the game a lot, because the rest is quite good.

Edit: One thing I did like a lot was the uniqueness of the character classes. One of your party members is a humanoid cat warrior and he can wield a dagger with his tail etc. I liked that he was unashamedly 2-3x the warrior your main character is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I always suspected Albion had a role in inspiring Avatar.

potentially hardcore :nws:http://i.imgur.com/jCbWv08.png

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fezball posted:

Somehow I've never heard of this and it's really fun, though with a clunky mid-90s interface outside of the excellent piloting. The dialog's also got a really stiff translation from German into English which is pretty goofy, and I keep finding ships with German names in the missions.

Now if they'd just add Sub Culture...

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Cross-posting from the adventure games thread, but GOG is having a [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_gamescom_special_060815]big sale for Gamescom this weekend[url].

If you like classic adventure games, you absolutely have to play Primordia and the Blackwell series. Seriously. They're mandatory now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ahem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aes3mm49DJo

Lord Lambeth posted:

It was also published by bethesda and therefore will probably never come to GoG.

Why is that anyway? I don't imagine giving Fallout away for free just before the contract ended did them any favors but the waters seemed deep between them long before that happened. What's Bethesda's problem with GOG?

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 6, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think Bethesda just really likes DRM. But then again that doesn't explain why the released everything before Morrowind for free.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think Bethesda just really likes DRM. But then again that doesn't explain why the released everything before Morrowind for free.

People will pay for morrowind. People won't pay for daggerfall.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

How good is this game? Never heard of it, but it does seems cool.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's a pretty good metroidvania. One of the guys involved went on to make spelunky.

here be some gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hHakgoG2c

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

How good is this game? Never heard of it, but it does seems cool.

It's decent, if super slow-paced (there are a LOT of big empty spaces). Mostly it's worth playing for the atmosphere and music, it can be really relaxing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like it, thought it was pretty boring.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I like Aquaria a lot. It may have been my favorite game a few years ago. The final boss was a bit frustrating to deal with, and a few segments involving jumping out of the water/ platforming were also frustrating or awkward, but all in all I very much enjoyed the game. For the most part the controls are tight, the combat as well as the metroidvania puzzles are fun, the music is great and the idea of using sound/notes combos to do ...stuff is interesting.

I wish they had done the sequel (the game has a concluding finale and ... a more lovely finale with a hook for a sequel).

Alec Holowka (one of the two creators) is now involved in the upcoming (and awesome looking) Night in the Woods.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a little bit tempted to buy this poo poo: http://www.gog.com/promo/weekly_staff_picks_adventure_soft_pack_100815

Talk me out of it if I'm making a horrible mistake.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You could do a lot worse for $5.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm a little bit tempted to buy this poo poo: http://www.gog.com/promo/weekly_staff_picks_adventure_soft_pack_100815

Talk me out of it if I'm making a horrible mistake.

I mean Waxworks and the first two StS are decent games, at least. It's not a terrible deal unless you get hives just from the idea of StS 3D being in your library.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Waxworks and Personal Nightmare are poo poo but I guess might be worth 83 cents as a curiosity.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I can definitely vouch for Simon the Sorcerer 1 being good.
I still remember as a kid feeling so bad for the Swampling character in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7OoRyj4h5o&t=4771s

I made Simon eat all that soup just to cheer the little guy up. :unsmith:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Thompsons posted:

Waxworks and Personal Nightmare are poo poo but I guess might be worth 83 cents as a curiosity.

Waxworks is a pretty disturbing game. It's not so bad as something to try out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone have any experience (no pun intended) with that Celestial Tales game that just came to GOG today? I am a sucker for RPGs in that style.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Commander Keenan posted:

Waxworks is a pretty disturbing game. It's not so bad as something to try out.
Waxworks is kinda like Illbleed but without the utter insanity and with more horror.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I bought it. $.86 is the cheapest I've seen GOG games (aside from when they give them away). I've spent more on shittier games, I'm sure.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Waxworks is one of those really old-school sort of adventure games where it's very very easy to gently caress yourself over for good if you don't know what you're doing.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scamtank posted:

Waxworks is one of those really old-school sort of adventure games where it's very very easy to gently caress yourself over for good if you don't know what you're doing.

Isn't Waxworks a spiritual successor or whatever to the Elvira games, and if so, how does it hold up in comparison? I kind of liked the first Elvira game. I have bad memories of the second one though--I vaguely remember some sort of really annoying mosquito enemy that would continue draining your HP to 0 even after you killed it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I wonder if there's any chance of the Elvira games ever getting release. Maybe someone should put GOG.com in touch with her (she let Pinball Arcade have her orbs for cheap, after all).

Oh, right, Atari. More like CUNTari amirite? (The answer to that question is yes. Yes I am.)

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Major release coming to GOG in 10 minutes!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Commander Keenan posted:

Major release coming to GOG in 10 minutes!

Major releases.

It's a bunch of the old D&D games released in three packs. First one contains the Eye of the Beholder series, second one has a bunch of the gold box RPGs and the third one has Menzobarren and Dungeon Hack.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Testekill posted:

Major releases.

It's a bunch of the old D&D games released in three packs. First one contains the Eye of the Beholder series, second one has a bunch of the gold box RPGs and the third one has Menzobarren and Dungeon Hack.

It's been a game collection they've wanted since day 1 of GOG. Took seven years to acquire the rights.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Testekill posted:

Major releases.

My heart skipped a beat when I read this, and if you are joking/incorrect I will personally trace your IP, come 'round to your place, and rearrange your spice rack so that everything is out of order.

Don't mess with Jeff.

Edit: It just came up and I can scarcely believe it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Alright, sell me on this series. What makes it so good?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RadicalR posted:

Nostalgia.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Tempted to grab the third collection for Dungeon Hack alone.

Is Menzoberranzan worth a playthrough? Heard very iffy things about it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RadicalR posted:

EotB is right between Dungeon Master and Legend of Grimrock. Buttons and rock-fetching puzzles aplenty.

Dungeon Hack is a first-person roguelike. Sort of. You can actually customize what kind of generated dungeon you want to go through.

Gold Box games are hit and miss and the PC versions usually have the worst GUI. A lot of first person walking and tactical combat, sometimes involving characters with custom portraits like a bearded lady wizard. At least the earliest games have plots and quest description in numbered paragraphs in the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really loving wanted to play Menzoberranzan when I was like 15 and super into the Drizzt books, but I could never get my hands on it. Was that game actually good?

Edit: It's too bad we'll probably never get the best version of EotB, which was on the SegaCD with a soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqLs4Iu9xc