Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

I haven't checked in a long time, but IIRC Steam actively does some weird poo poo so that Morrowind Script Extender will work with the Steam version. However, the data files in that version have different time stamps, which kind of messes with mod load order... I think there's a solution to that, but Morrowind's... interesting combat system kind of always warded me off looking deeper.

Oh yeah, I read about that. You had to change the date of the files manually I think. Also, doesn't Steam think you're trying to use a crack if you modify or replace the EXE of a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Oh yeah, I read about that. You had to change the date of the files manually I think. Also, doesn't Steam think you're trying to use a crack if you modify or replace the EXE of a game?
I've replaced EXEs in the past (to make Quake directly open source ports, etc.), and have received no trouble whatsoever... but Steam has special handling just for Morrowind and Oblivion interacting with their script extenders without them choking on the protection wrappers on the EXE. One of the Valve programmers added it by request, IIRC.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Holy poo poo, never thought I'd see Bethesda and ID classics on GOG.com now. Then again, never thought I'd see Lucasarts or the old SSI D&D games on there either. GOG is truly the best. :patriot:

EDIT - Kinda meh on Turok but it'll be interesting to play with a modernized mouse and keyboard setup rather than the crappy N64 joystick.
vvvv

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 26, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also from the "unexpected" pile: Turok Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2 are getting remastered by Night Dive for Steam and GOG release in the future.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are they gonna remove the insanely thick fog used to hide the lovely draw distance of the N64? That screenshot makes me think yes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are they gonna remove the insanely thick fog used to hide the lovely draw distance of the N64? That screenshot makes me think yes.
They are.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They'd probably have to edit the maps or do some other weird stuff - the fog hides the fact that bonus rooms, areas you teleport to etc. are just kind of hanging in the sky in what would otherwise be plain view.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Redguard huh?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
How is Battlespire? How does it compare to something like Arx Fatalis or Ultima Underworld?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Who said that? All we know is "enhanced graphics" which could just mean it runs at modern resolutions and we stuck some filters on there

Edit: Missed the screenshots. It looks like they pushed it back a bit instead of removing it outright. I assume they just modded the actual PC versions.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 26, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

I haven't checked in a long time, but IIRC Steam actively does some weird poo poo so that Morrowind Script Extender will work with the Steam version. However, the data files in that version have different time stamps, which kind of messes with mod load order... I think there's a solution to that, but Morrowind's... interesting combat system kind of always warded me off looking deeper.

Load order doesn't matter as much for morrowind as in other bethesda-type games, and autosorters exist

also

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you - me too! I really liked the thrust/chop/slash and all of that, but the random nature of Morrowind combat and the vestigial shields really hurt the game for me.

both of you are humongous babies
"random combat"

this is the GoG thread, not the skyrim thread right? Play a mage or pick a major skill your race is good at = morrowind combat is fine.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mortimer posted:

both of you are humongous babies
"random combat"

this is the GoG thread, not the skyrim thread right? Play a mage or pick a major skill your race is good at = morrowind combat is fine.

Oh, you just reminded me of another stupid, stupid thing... non-regenerating mana. Thanks (wo)man!

PS I do miss medium armour - that's all I ever wore.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The only thing I really hated in Morrowind was stealth as it was obtuse as gently caress. Line of sight barely mattered early on. Combat sucked early but once you get a few skills in it it improves rapidly.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Also make sure you're not fighting at low fatigue; install a mod that makes running not drain stamina and keep some food on you to keep your fatigue up (the NPCs actually will tell you this when you ask for advice).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Also make sure you're not fighting at low fatigue; install a mod that makes running not drain stamina and keep some food on you to keep your fatigue up (the NPCs actually will tell you this when you ask for advice).

0. Install morrowind and all expansions. set all of them to run as administrator and launch through steam and make sure it gets to main menu
You need
1. MGEXE http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41102/
this is a program you put in your morrowind folder. Run as admin. After you run morrowind once this should work. Open it and set your resolution and AA in the top left then close it (you don't need to have it running at the same time)
2. Run faster http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42796/
put just the "fast" esp in your data files folder
3. (optional) Graphic herbalism http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43140/
saves a lot of time, data files folder
4. Code Patch http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510/
Place in morrowind folder, run once, you're done. don't worry about the extra stuff, all the essentials come pre-checked off. Some of the optional stuff really messes with the game's already weird sense of balance
5. open the morrowind launcher and check the run faster and graphic herbalism esp's
6. play

^my personal guide on how to morrowind in 2015
No load orders, no mod organizers

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Does Morrowind suffer from the same Bethesda game quirk where saving over the same file eventually results in instability and crashes?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

Does Morrowind suffer from the same Bethesda game quirk where saving over the same file eventually results in instability and crashes?

no

you can also quicksave safely

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Just a heads up; the "old" pack of Fallout Games -for anyone who had purcased them before they were removed from the store- have been renamed adding a "classic" tag to them.
They are considered different versions from the Bethesda ones, and, therefore, the GOG store won't inform you that you already have them in your library (I almost fell for it, being the idiot who can't always recall which games I own on which platform).

According to the following post by a GOG staff, the classic versions are identical to the Bethesda ones (game-content-wise) and also have some bonus stuff that the Bethesda haven't gotten as of yet.

quote:

The only difference between the Classic editions and the Fallouts from Bethesda is that the Classic versions (as we've decided to call them) have more bonus goodies and support one additional platform - OS X. Other than that, those two editions should be identical. The main reason for this difference is that the approval process for the remaining bonus goodies takes a lot of time and we didn't want to hold up the release just because of that. ;)
To answer another question - will we ever have them included in the Bethesda versions? We will do everything in our power, of course, but I can't say for certain that we will.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/rerelease_fallout_series_72e26/post121

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There was a GOG patch for M&M7 a short while ago; any idea what it did? Not often that you see a 20+ year old game patched, after all.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I dunno. There is a bug with one of the final quests if you choose the dark path and do things out of a certain order that would make the game un-finishable. Maybe it's that?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

JustJeff88 posted:

There was a GOG patch for M&M7 a short while ago; any idea what it did? Not often that you see a 20+ year old game patched, after all.

There's a change-log option on the game in your account:

quote:

Patch gog-18 (08.27.2015)
The German version can now be installed via the Galaxy Client.
The offline installers for all three supported languages are now Galaxy compatible.

In this case, nothing very exciting.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Girlfriend is away all weekend and I'm not really feeling anything in my library. How do Fallout 1 and 2 hold up for a new player these days? I'm definitely after story and choices over combat, not arsed about graphics. Hoping I don't have to deal with too many important but ill-explained and arcane mechanics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Girlfriend is away all weekend and I'm not really feeling anything in my library. How do Fallout 1 and 2 hold up for a new player these days? I'm definitely after story and choices over combat, not arsed about graphics. Hoping I don't have to deal with too many important but ill-explained and arcane mechanics.

They're pretty simple games all things considered, and probably not too hard to figure out, just keep in mind there is a time limit in the first game. Mechanically they are actually probably simpler than something like Wasteland 2, if you've played 3/NV you already know what each skill does.

The main problem in terms of modern playability is just that they're really slow, and they have that unique quirk where sometimes you have to wait ages between turns because 20 NPCs each have to run around in a circle screaming, individually.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 28, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If you are even halfway familiar with the modern day fallouts you might be okay. Just dump everything into agility and shoot everything in the balls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Walton Simons posted:

The story is great, if its not your first RPG from that era you'll probably be fine. Read the manual, remember to save often in different slots. And if the early game is kicking your rear end look at a guide on how to make your character. The main issue with combat is if it happens on the middle of town you have to wait for everyone to run away between your turns.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
It is my first RPG from that era but I've found a guide for people like me and since nobody's warned me off due to terrible jank, I'll pick it up!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Walton Simons posted:

It is my first RPG from that era but I've found a guide for people like me and since nobody's warned me off due to terrible jank, I'll pick it up!

It's a great game, the biggest thing I can recommend is remembering to save often in different slots. And Agility is the most important combat stat.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yknow, on the list of games I expected to ever be remade in any way, Turok was absolutely at the bottom. :psyduck:

Not that I mind much, Turok was the game I got with my N64 on my birthday after it came out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also I've always played those games with 1 luck, I never saw the point in that stat and it doesn't really make the game any harder

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Gold Box RPGs seem to have had a bunch of weapons added into them. I'm pretty sure that stuff like staff slings and awl pikes weren't in the rules of AD&D

edit:

I'm pretty sure that none of these weapons were in Gateway to the Savage Frontier at least. I mean, the vast majority are just different kinds of Polearm and I don't even know which are good and which are poo poo.

Bardiche
Bec de Corbin (a type of hammer)
Billhook
Bo Stick
Fauchard
Fauchard-Fork
Military-Fork
Glaive
Glaive-Guisarme
Guisarme
Guisarme-Voulge
Lucern Hammer
Javelins
Jo Stick
Partisian
Military Pick
Awl Pike
Ranseur
Schimitar? (not sure if it was in gateway to the savage frontier)
Spetum
Trident
Voulge
Composite Long & Short bows? (once more, not sure if they were in it)
Staff Sling

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 28, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Educate yoself

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I got half of them right at least. Most of the ones that I got wrong were "it's not a glaive, it's a glaive-guisarme" and poo poo like that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I've always played those games with 1 luck, I never saw the point in that stat and it doesn't really make the game any harder

:rolleyes:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What? It totally loving doesn't and you get to spend those points on other useful skills like int or agi. I'm not trying to be a snarky rear end in a top hat when I say that, I've always found it to be a really handy tip. If you disagree just say so and present an alternative instead of this dumb poo poo that helps no one

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 28, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hakkesshu posted:

What? It totally loving doesn't and you get to spend those points on other useful skills like int or agi. I'm not trying to be a snarky rear end in a top hat when I say that, I've always found it to be a really handy tip. If you disagree just say so and present an alternative instead of this dumb poo poo that helps no one

Luck is tied to your chance to score critical hits and misses at the very least (might also be tied to how much damage a critical does but I can't remember).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yknow, on the list of games I expected to ever be remade in any way, Turok was absolutely at the bottom. :psyduck:

Not that I mind much, Turok was the game I got with my N64 on my birthday after it came out.

I look forward to maybe being smart enough to get past the third level of the first game before I turn on God Mode, All Weapons, and skipping to the boss fights and/or firing the Fusion Cannon and Chronosceptor into the sky just to watch the pretty explosions.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I sure hope that the first five Wizardry games are salvaged from licensing purgatory one day.

There's not that many big old series for them to work out now either right? maybe Mechwarrior somehow or the early Westwood RTS titles.

They've accomplished a lot... :allears:

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Skwirl posted:

The story is great, if its not your first RPG from that era you'll probably be fine. Read the manual, remember to save often in different slots. And if the early game is kicking your rear end look at a guide on how to make your character. The main issue with combat is if it happens on the middle of town you have to wait for everyone to run away between your turns.

The best trait(feature you pick at character selection) is by far Gifted. You get +1 to each SPECIAL stat in exchange for losing skill points at the beginning and throughout the game. But you can redistribute the stat bonus at will, so you basically get 7 extra SPECIAL points-which generally can't be changed throughout the game-and which influence your skills, so you basically make up for the lost skill points through SPECIAL bonuses anyways.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Luck is tied to your chance to score critical hits and misses at the very least (might also be tied to how much damage a critical does but I can't remember).

I know that, but you get a crit bonus (I forget how much exactly) by doing aimed shots, and by having higher int you can pump your weapon stats to where you'll never miss anyway. You'll also have more AP, and depending on your weapon you'll do a fuckton of damage without critting, not a lot of enemies in that first game have enough health to withstand three aimed shots to the dome with the .223. Point is all your other stats are way more versatile both inside and outside of combat, and all you lose is like 10% base crit chance, which... in my experience you're gonna crit plenty anyway.

Fallout 2 is a bit hazier because you can get perks and stuff with higher luck, but I've beaten the game multiple times with 1 and never had any issues. I'd definitely rather have more AP/skill points.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Finally got fragile allegiance working, and godDAMN is the pacing in this game glacial. The prequel K240 was quite a bit faster by not including "features" like vehicle ranges and fuel.