Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OptimusShr posted:

Uhh what's so bad about that level? I've never played it but nothing in that video makes it seem bad.

*bounce* WHHEEEEEEEE-AAAAAHHHFUUUUuuuuuuuuuucccckkk*crash*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

OptimusShr posted:

Uhh what's so bad about that level? I've never played it but nothing in that video makes it seem bad.

It was Pod Racer's Rainbow Road.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

OptimusShr posted:

Well beyond it being rainbow road that guy had invincibility on so he wasn't taking damage while doing stuff.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

OptimusShr posted:

Oh wow I didn't know the guy put invincibility on. There's a reason for that. The stage is wicked twisty and has plenty of places to fall off. It's also one of the last, hardest races in the game so the AI of course runs it perfectly.

The part that sucked, especially as a kid, was the two tier lanes. If you didn't boost to stay on the top lane you ended up on the slower bottom lane, then all the AI stay on the top lane and you can't do anything to stop them. "Oh just boost that isn't too bad" yeah but the top lane doesn't have side walls so if you aren't racing loving perfectly you fall off and either end up in the bottom lane, or explode then end up on the bottom lane.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I stopped playing there because not only was it hard, the game would crash every time I fell off.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also those parts that are just wide open plazas and you have no idea where to go.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wow, I had no memories of that level even after the video, but your descriptions exactly match the point in my memory when I hit a wall with that game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really enjoyed it up to that point so I wasn't even mad. It's in the final set of tracks so whatever I played everything else.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was about to say what the heck everyone's deal was with Rainbow Road, then I remembered that it had no barriers originally. Then I also remembered from a recent replay of MK64 and having to restart that level like 8 times because gently caress rubberbanding :argh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

OptimusShr posted:

Episode one: Racer and Battle for Naboo. Say what you will about the movie they are both good games.
The Phantom Menace, Force Commander, Shadow of the Empire, and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Probably some other stuff I'm not remembering. SOTE has some really weird poo poo with the way it was put together so that will probably take some doing to make it work in modern Windows. Potentially Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures, and Yoda Stories for the curiosity factor. Battle For Naboo is fun, but it's a less polished Rogue Squadron.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 20, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Twobirds posted:

Isn't it more than likely that Night Dive has distribution rights only? I would expect that EA still has brand rights since they're the ones who bought Origin.

Not that an EA Kickstarted game is impossible, but that poo poo gets complicated.

According to this article, you are wrong and therefore fat:

quote:

Meadowbrook’s lawyer wrote back a couple days later, saying the company had just secured the System Shock trademarks from original publisher Electronic Arts.

quote:

Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 21, 2015

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
That was two months ago! But I am happy to be wrong.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Casimir Radon posted:

The Phantom Menace, Force Commander, Shadow of the Empire, and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Probably some other stuff I'm not remembering. SOTE has some really weird poo poo with the way it was put together so that will probably take some doing to make it work in modern Windows. Potentially Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures, and Yoda Stories for the curiosity factor. Battle For Naboo is fun, but it's a less polished Rogue Squadron.

You forgot Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I am rather baffled as to why that is on Steam but not GOG.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

You forgot Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I am rather baffled as to why that is on Steam but not GOG.
That is odd. They could also release the action version of Fate of Atlantis which I've never been able to find on ebay or otherwise. Droidworks would be another possibility but would probably take a lot of work because of how it's built. Apparently the physics go haywire after a certain amount of processor speed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Big sale going on GOG right now, including Witcher 3 50% off.

quote:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 50% off for the first time. Up to 80% off games that you'll find only on GOG.com.

Across the years, we've tracked down and recovered numerous gaming classics - those lost to time but never quite forgotten. We've tested, tweaked, and tested some more to get them up and running on your computers, free of the all consuming hassle of virtual machines and emulators. We've done our best to deliver bonus goodies: manuals, booklets, and all the little things that gave us a sense of heft and ownership so many years ago.

We are digital archeologists, we are gaming detectives, and this week is all about the games that make GOG.com a unique place to be:

For the first time ever, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gets a 50%, courtesy of our friends at CD PROJEKT RED. And while we're at it, we're throwing in the rest of the Witcher franchise along for the ride.

Four bundles, the best of those that returned, only on GOG.com:

–D&D: Classic Bundle (up to -80%): featuring the classic editions of Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights - 10 games in total.
–D&D: Gold Box Bundle (up to -50%): featuring three tomes of Forgotten Realms: The Archives (with Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Dungeon Hack, and more) as well as Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Krynn, Ravenloft, and others - 18 games in total.
–Warhammer Bundle (up to -50%): featuring 4 games: Final Liberation: Warhammer Epic 40,000, Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, Warhammer 40,00: Rites of War.
–Star Trek Bundle (up to -60%): featuring 4 games: Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Starfleet Academy, Starfleet Command, Judgment Rites.
Join us on this, the Only on GOG.com sale, for five days, until November 29, 1:59 PM GMT.

Stream watch:
We will be showing off a selection of these GOG.com vintage exclusives on our Twitch channel almost daily if you'd like to see them live before you make your choice.
TUE, 12am GMT / 1am CET / 7pm EST -- Ravenloft with ArvanEleron
WED, 5pm GMT / 6pm CET / 12pm EST -- Warhammer 40.000: Rites of War with Classicor
THU, 5pm GMT / 6pm CET / 12pm EST -- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt NG+ Q&A with Outstar and the devs (more info)
THU, 9pm GMT / 10pm CET / 4pm EST -- Planescape: Torment with ScreamingJoypad
FRI, 5pm GMT / 6pm CET / 12pm EST -- Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone with MegapiemanPHD
Be sure to follow us not to miss anything and tune in to see the awesomeness unfold before your eyes!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Tempted by the Star Trek bundle...but I wish it had Starship Creator or that DS9 adventure game. Had those when I was a kid and would love to relive them. That and that ancient dos game, vtrek or something. My dad and I used to play that one together.

As for Star Wars stuff, I desperately want Racer and Droid Works. Once again, titles I had as a kid and want to relive.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

there were Warhammer games before the DoW ones? whoa I didn't know that

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

jivjov posted:

Tempted by the Star Trek bundle...but I wish it had Starship Creator or that DS9 adventure game. Had those when I was a kid and would love to relive them. That and that ancient dos game, vtrek or something. My dad and I used to play that one together.

As for Star Wars stuff, I desperately want Racer and Droid Works. Once again, titles I had as a kid and want to relive.

Really want the second StarFleet Command/Orion Pirates expansion to come out; never really was a big ST fan, but that game was extremely fun. Haven't had a chance to play the first game (bought it already on GOG), but I remember reading that it didn't have the same scope as the following game.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BadOptics posted:

Really want the second StarFleet Command/Orion Pirates expansion to come out; never really was a big ST fan, but that game was extremely fun. Haven't had a chance to play the first game (bought it already on GOG), but I remember reading that it didn't have the same scope as the following game.

I'm hoping for Klingon Academy myself. I heard good things about it, and enjoyed Starfleet Academy, but never got around to that one.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net

macnbc posted:

I'm hoping for Klingon Academy myself. I heard good things about it, and enjoyed Starfleet Academy, but never got around to that one.

i'm hoping that KA will get a digital re-release too. it's personally one of my most favorite starship combat sims.

also, i found out that the Starfleet Academy re-release did use some of the fixes from this modern compatibility patch for KA by looking in the SA re-release directory: http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/

KA uses an modified SA engine, so this makes me glad that the people who worked on the re-release did do their homework.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

quote:

Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/25/9801434/system-shock-remake-first-look-art

:stare:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Sweet sassy molassy

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like a mockup of just the first room or two? Still a nice concept art thing, I like how it's not just "SS1 but dark!"

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

there were Warhammer games before the DoW ones? whoa I didn't know that

There were, and Final Liberation is one of my favourite TBS to this day. The other one is Jagged Alliance 2, so draw your own conclusions :smugdog:

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Well, nobody sent me any PMs, so I'll just throw these out for the Lurkers.

System Shock 2: NALS384B29FD16A8NR
Chronicles of Riddick: HPMA384B29FD16A83T

Just please quote if you take these. Thanks.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009

NadaTooma posted:

Chronicles of Riddick: HPMA384B29FD16A83T

Thanks for Riddick! Haven't played the first one since original xbox :v

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

NadaTooma posted:

Well, nobody sent me any PMs, so I'll just throw these out for the Lurkers.

System Shock 2: NALS384B29FD16A8NR

Took the ss2 code - already have a hardcopy but wanted digital backup for some time - danke schön!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

macnbc posted:

Aren't the TNG game rights too tied up?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BiggerJ posted:

Klingon Academy is original series/movies. They straight up got Christopher Plummer to play General Chang for all of your fmv briefings.

You might be thinking of Klingon Honor Guard, a underrated game that used the Unreal engine and inbetween a few dodgy map designs had awesome moments where you turned off the gravity on a Klingon cruiser and walked about in gravity boots shooting everyone.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BiggerJ posted:

Like was said before Klingon Academy is TOS and interplay published like the ones already on GOG.

I think the only TNG game not likely though is Final Unity. That one has System Shock levels of rights entanglement and doesn't have the cult following to justify untangling them. The others that people think of were published by Activision (Armada, Elite Force, etc.) which is already on GOG, so never say never with those.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

macnbc posted:

Like was said before Klingon Academy is TOS and interplay published like the ones already on GOG.

I think the only TNG game not likely though is Final Unity. That one has System Shock levels of rights entanglement and doesn't have the cult following to justify untangling them. The others that people think of were published by Activision (Armada, Elite Force, etc.) which is already on GOG, so never say never with those.

Oh, I mixed up Klingon Academy with Klingon (which takes place in a Starfleet holodeck simulation).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They should bring back that Starship Creator game. I never really understood the concept of the missions being pure background/"Desktop" gaming..but I loved just piecing together my own ships with crew made up of my elementary school classmates.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember my mechanic of all people had an original series Star Trek screensaver running on a Mac in the background at his office. I wonder if that was parallel to the release of the adventure game?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Maybe one day we'll get Away Team. Man that was possibly the most average game ever.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
i actually had no idea that Origin Systems' Bioforge was on GOG until recently. it caught my interest when i was looking at DOS gaming resources, since cyberpunk games do get my interest.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man, what they need go get is Cybermage up on this poo poo, but I'm sure its awful to play now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

man, what they need go get is Cybermage up on this poo poo, but I'm sure its awful to play now.

Oh I remember that game. I can't remember if it was in every version, but mine came with a small comicbook :allears:.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
There is a big winter sale going on right now . It include a 3 $ mystery game. I gambled on it and got the very same game Origin gives for free this month so we are off to a great start!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't we just finish up a massive GOG sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

jivjov posted:

Didn't we just finish up a massive GOG sale?

We did, and I'm not sure if this is just a two-day sale or part of a series of promotions for the traditional big holiday sales. Having so many big sales close together seems odd to me.