Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
25th Anniversary is one of the best adventure games of all time (especially considering it wasn't from one of the two big adventure game studios). The arcadey elements (ship battles) are kind of tough though and the final one is hard as gently caress, especially if you don't have a joystick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

How are the Star Trek games? Any specially terrible title to avoid? I'll settle with average at best at this price.

If you like point and click adventures and love the original series of Star Trek, you can't go wrong with 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, as they're basically seasons 4 and 5 of the original series and are fully voice acted by the cast of the original series. I don't know about Starfleet Command or Starfleet Academy though, but I hear they're decent.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If you like point and click adventures and love the original series of Star Trek, you can't go wrong with 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, as they're basically seasons 4 and 5 of the original series and are fully voice acted by the cast of the original series. I don't know about Starfleet Command or Starfleet Academy though, but I hear they're decent.

Oh poo poo are the versions on GOG the talkies??

That was the best 59 cents I've ever spent.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Peas and Rice posted:

They are indeed the talky versions. For less than a dollar, there's no reason you shouldn't own them unless you absolutely HATE Star Trek for some dumb reason.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Oh sweet, I'm going to pick at least these two, for that price is pretty much a steal. It helps that I'm in a Star Trek binge lately, thanks folks.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Speaking of EA games (well, last page anyway), when the heck will somebody finally get the digital distribution rights to The Godfather? I never played the sequel but the first one owns.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I have been using gog since before day 1 and I have no idea what connect is. Time to look it up - but that's some pretty poor marketing, I reckon. I love you gog. Tell me about your cool stuffs.

Edit: got me some of that interplay bundle and linked to steam to get 2 games added in. Cool. :)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 26, 2016

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh sweet, I'm going to pick at least these two, for that price is pretty much a steal. It helps that I'm in a Star Trek binge lately, thanks folks.

Really, get 10 things, even if they're questionable. The price break once you hit the cutoff is hilarious--went from $25 to like 6-7.

worfquoter
Sep 24, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Lobster posted:

I would not have thought it possible... to love a Romulan.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ack, that's an unfortunate oversight. I own the Dawn of Discovery-branded version of Anno 1404, which GOG doesn't detect for the purposes of Connect.

Edit: Wait, an Interplay bundle where you don't have to buy everything to get the full discount? :eyepop: (Oh I see, 8 or more. Good enough!)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 26, 2016

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: Wait, an Interplay bundle where you don't have to buy everything to get the full discount? :eyepop: (Oh I see, 8 or more. Good enough!)
It's actually 10 or more, to get the big discount, but it does take into account previously owned titles. (I only had to choose 3).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Peas and Rice posted:

Do you have to buy 10 games to get to the 59 cent part?

Edit: Yes you do, but if you already own games in the sale collection they count towards the ten.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

Do you have to buy 10 games to get to the 59 cent part?
Yes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thankfully it counts games you've already bought towards the 10, I bought enough to get to the threshold and then looking again at the sale everything is 59 to 99 cents, which kinda makes me want to buy them all even though I know I'm probably never going to play half the games I already bought.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Don't look at GOG during a sale while drunk. I managed to not only buy a bunch of EA poo poo I'll probably never play, I got everything LucasArts that isn't Star Wars and that dating game where you date pigeons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Don't look at GOG during a sale while drunk. I managed to not only buy a bunch of EA poo poo I'll probably never play, I got everything LucasArts that isn't Star Wars and that dating game where you date pigeons.

Homicidal fascists pigeons, I must add.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

al-azad posted:

Homicidal fascists pigeons, I must add.

Dude I just bought it, no spoilers.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Skwirl posted:

Dude I just bought it, no spoilers.

If you're already romancing pigeons, I daresay that poo poo is already "spoiled"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

dammit why do these sales occur when I'm broke and in between paychecks? :argh:

on the other hand, I've already got almost all the interplay games I care about, but am missing a couple, and there's a chance they might disappear from gog? drat, i hate bi-weekly pay periods.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Help, I can't stop playing Icewind Dale (again)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I recently finished IWD2 Complete from GOG and it was very good. Annoying workaround for playing it in OSX El Capitan though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hey, they fixed the Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 problem on GOG Connect. :toot: (Make sure to double check that it's synced.)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What are some games that would work well with dosbox on an android tablet? I'm thinking touchscreen is best for mouse and turn-based stuff.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

What are some games that would work well with dosbox on an android tablet? I'm thinking touchscreen is best for mouse and turn-based stuff.

Adventure games, especially ones from Lucasarts, would work pretty well.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Adventure games, especially ones from Lucasarts, would work pretty well.

They would work better under scummVM, though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yep, I use scummvm for all my old adventure gaming needs. I think turn based strategy could do it. Master of Orion perhaps... Is there anything better than that? Was 2 also a DOS game?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BadAstronaut posted:

Yep, I use scummvm for all my old adventure gaming needs. I think turn based strategy could do it. Master of Orion perhaps... Is there anything better than that? Was 2 also a DOS game?

Yeah, I'm 99% sure the GOG version of MOO2 is the DOS one.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 3, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kenny Logins posted:

I recently finished IWD2 Complete from GOG and it was very good. Annoying workaround for playing it in OSX El Capitan though.

Just never play the IWD games for the story since they're essentially a series of dungeons crawls albeit with pretty solid writing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Worms Armageddon!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Wow, they finally got the only game in the franchise that people care about. It's weird that it took them so long since Steam had had this for ages now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dungeon Keeper 1 is free on Origin this month. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the GOG version.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I begun Giants: Citizen Kabuto yesterday. I thought the controls/movement seemed really clunky and awkward when I was watching videos of it, but it turns out it's pretty enjoyable! The story is... really something else. I like it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I loved that game even though when I first played it (when it came out) my computer couldn't handle it at all so Kabuto parts and base building missions played at <10fps :v:

Didn't they try to kickstart a spiritual successor?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

orcane posted:

I loved that game even though when I first played it (when it came out) my computer couldn't handle it at all so Kabuto parts and base building missions played at <10fps :v:

Didn't they try to kickstart a spiritual successor?

That already exists http://store.steampowered.com/app/6090/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh I didn't know Armed & Dangerous was by the same people. I meant this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roguerocket/first-wonder

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Giants really deserved a sequel from is quirkiness alone. I found the Mecc & Reaper campaigns much more fun than Kabuto myself, but who can argue with stomping around, grabbing someone and impaling them on your head spike to eat later

The reaper time stop spell blew my mind back in the day, it was really impressive & not implemented much in games at the time

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just got an email about GOG enabling 2-step authentication, via emailing a log in code when signing in from an unfamiliar device. Great for security, and I don't mind in principle...I'm just spoiled by Steam letting me handle that through an app.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it'd be cool if they had an option to use the google authenticator app

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Don't know a better thread for it, but just saw this
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-19-remember-star-control-a-new-one-is-in-development

Reckoned GOG users would be keen to know about that. I really, really hope they can do something more in line with Star Control 2/Ur-Quan Masters than anything else. The video on that page is very, very promising, if they can make the planet part seem less like a cute cartoony gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I saw it mentioned on RPS, it does look neat. Though I thought the other races came to humanity for help in the big war, we didn't do much exploring on our own. Whatever, as long as it's fun. Stardock has kind of an iffy record, don't they?