Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mr. Wookums posted:

How did Die By the Sword age? I have a feeling if I tried it again, I'd just toss it for bad controls. After all, there have not been any games that have tried the same system since.

I remember playing it as a young gun, but I remember, much more vividly, having to hide it in a maze of folders due to my age and parent's watchfull eye. I never did get a good look at it.
Well, I found it to be quite enjoyable. The controls will probably frustrate you until you get used to them. Especially when using the mouse VSIM controls. It definitely takes a while to get used to them. But the game is pretty hilarious. My friends like to laugh at all the ways I manage to get myself killed. And the game is quite tough. It is sometimes downright brutal.

Unfortunately, though, the game suffers from the "open up every window that is minimized and resize them all to really small squares" problem that a lot of older games happen to have. Because of that, I usually play it in Linux via Wine (although it still likes to sometimes mess with my desktop widgets) or in VirtualBox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Would disabling the PowerNow! feature in the BIOS for AMD CPUs, thereby stopping the clock speed changes, fix this?
Possibly. You should probably just download the AMD dual-core optimizer, as it is designed to fix the RDTSC problem:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

buttweed posted:

Does the online component of freespace 2 still work?
No. The master server was taken offline. However, FSNetD was created to work around the problem. Unfortunately, it requires you to install the Freespace 2 SCP stuff. I don't know if it is possible to use the original game.

General details on multiplayer:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:Multiplayer

Getting started guide:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Multiplayer_Getting_Started_Guide

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Overwined posted:

Whatever default is for the program. 800x600? Not sure.

It's a small complaint, although it can be a bit visually jarring and visuals are the reason you play this game. You can tell that someone designed small animations (like levers and buttons) as an overlay that is supposed to be meshed with the background so just the overlay needs to be animated. In my case the overlay is a couple pixels off up or down, making it pretty apparent.

It's not going to get in the way of me playing it or anything.
Are you using Vista or Windows 7? If so, you can try right clicking the exe file, choose Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and choosing "Disable visual themes". That usually fixes errors where some things are drawn shifted up or down.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mierenneuker posted:

Still waiting for Operation Flashpoint GOTY Edition to become available again (they no longer have the license to sell it). At this rate, I may have to contact their support department in the near future. How outrageous! :arghfist: :f5:
I have my doubts that it will ever become available again. Bohemia Interactive and Codemasters just don't get along with each anymore. At all. And, they both own the rights to OpFlash, so I think you can see the problem forming. I'm happy I grabbed it from GoG when I did. It sits next to TOCA 3 on my GoG bookshelf.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TehGherkin posted:

Thanks, the driver was exactly what I needed, my computer and Freespace 2 are picking it up and a quick test run has shown me that it mostly works, the right stick and back triggers (considered Z-Axis), however, doesn't seem to register at all.
Microsoft's XBox360 drivers have terrible DirectInput support. It doesn't support rumble, nor do the triggers work independently of each other. If you have a 32-bit Windows OS you can download the XBCD drivers which will work perfectly for FS2:
http://redcl0ud.1.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=2155

They will also work for 64-bit Windows, except because Microsoft doesn't allow unsigned drivers on 64-bit Windows, you either have to manually start Windows with driver signing disabled (press F8 on startup and select the option to disable driving signing), or install a test signing certificate (which, last I checked, adds the words Test Mode to the corner of your desktop.)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ymgve posted:

It might just be nostalgia blurring my memory, but I remember this game as being less buggy. So far I've encountered quite a few bugs I don't remember from ten years ago - like in the middle of the combat training, it suddenly started playing the cut scene from the first "fight" again.
That happened to me too. I eventually got stuck on top of the world and had to reload an earlier save. Restarting the game fixed it for me.

doctorfrog posted:

You can hold down CTRL to speed through the combat animations, but the menu-battler style is still something you'll have to click through. Takes the edge off. (Many of the combat animations are worth watching a few times, though.)
Also, backslash (\) key = turbo mode. Have to run all the way back to turn in a quest? Hold backslash and you are there in 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dr Snofeld posted:

Whenever it goes on sale I think about picking up Total Annihilation, but I got really overwhelmed by Supreme Commander and could't play it, and I worry that TA is the same. Does it have a huge learning curve?
If you were overwhelmed by Supreme Commander, you may have difficulties with Total Annihilation. TA is an old game that came out before Starcraft, so there are no zoom levels at all. You are back to scrolling the map around. It is much easier to navigate the map in SupCom. Don't forget that it has the same resource model as SupCom.

Also, SupCom only has 1 type of engineer unit. TA has a ton of different type of engineers across all 3 levels. You have your air construction engineers, your submarine engineers, your land engineers, vehicle engineers, etc. There are a lot more units to deal with.

Upgrading to the next tech level is also different. In SupCom, you upgraded your factories. In TA, you have to use a level 1 engineer to build a level 2 factory. To build a level 3 factory, you have to build a level 2 engineer of that factory's type, then use it to build the level 3 factory.

TA also features a much more diverse set of units than SupCom, and none of them really give you an indication as to how they are supposed to be used. It will be a lot of experimentation or Internet searching to figure out what the units can do.

It is still a great game, though, especially when played against friends. It is still one of my favorite RTS games of all time.