Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Man, the Gothic icon in that header image looks pretty poo poo. That reminds me that I still need to finish that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Nanpa posted:

So is anyone going to attempt the Gothic Exploration challenge?

Is Gothic 1 even worth getting, especially when 2 is on GoG as well?

And between The Witcher and GoG, I've been convinced Poles can do no wrong.
Haha, I know where that is without even having to load up the game, and it's been a couple months since I last played it. So much for exploration.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Mr Pepper posted:

Someone tell me what the Gothic games are like in terms of gameplay. I really enjoyed the witcher and I've been itching for an RPG to play since then (I guess fallout 3 kind of counts). I've read good things about it, but I've also heard that the game likes to kick you in the balls, teeth, and rear end whenever it can in terms of difficulty.
They're third person RPGs. Similar basic elements to games like Morrowind in that you go around exploring a non-linear world, stealin' poo poo and fighting monsters and doing quests. Gothic 1's got a control scheme that drives most people up the wall, and it remains intentionally hard to use for fighting until you get training in swords or whatever you're using and can chain attacks and movements.

Yodzilla posted:

Also I remember Arx Fatalis being kind of boring am I wrong here??
You're wrong there, maybe if you find any open ended RPG boring you'd find this boring? I found arx a lot more cohesive and tight with the content per space than Oblivion or Morrowind.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Also

Haha what the hell?
Hey, it was a feature of the Dark Engine and Thief games.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Chris Gaylor posted:

Maybe the new publisher will be Eidos?! They went bankrupt so they probably need to bulk up their wallets with precious Polandish metals.
If anyone can iron out the technical issues of Deus Ex, CDProjekt could. And I'd totally pay $10 for a Digital Distro copy of DX that doesn't have any speed issues due to processor timing, power settings, or dual cores, and is easily compatible with mods (the Steam copy doesn't work with mods becuase of the altered .exe for Steam, you have to replace it with one from a patch and set the game not to update to get mods to work).

Edit: Especially if it comes with the soundtrack, like the retail copy of Deus Ex: GOTY did.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Something tells me that CDProjekt aren't the miracle workers you seem to think they are. GoG is a good service and all, but you don't really think they go deep into games' source codes do you? For one that would be a licensing nightmare, not to mention the sheer amount of effort it would take to actually bug fix these really old games for modern hardware. They probably just use patches supplied by the publisher or emulators on all their games to get them working right.
The problems are all fixable on a per-user basis by altering settings, altering configs, or other such vague things. I just sorta figured they'd compile these into an authoritative list, test them to see what definitely works, so when you go to play DX and have a problem, you can find a solution. :( I figure, they've gotta be pretty much the best experts on getting old poo poo to run on modern poo poo. They'd be used to games having timing issues due to processor speed, or things like the laptop power issue, and be able to troubleshoot it.

Edit: And yeah, Deus Ex's problems aren't universal, or the kind that make it unplayable. The closest to a universal issue is the slow down and speedup on laptops with power save on. With some extensive testing, they could at least get a good idea what to tell people that go to play the best game ever and find it goes in slow motion.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 8, 2009

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm not sure if this is going to happen. I've been playing around with arx fatalis and it's either 5 fps in menus or blazingly fast that I'm at the end of a long hallway in a split second. There's postings on their forums but no real solution to this speed issue.
I don't have that problem in my game. Do you have a multi core processor? Arx might have problems with that.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I just bought Arx Fatalis and I was just wondering if anyone who have played this could give me some hints regarding character creation? Are there some skills that every character should have?
There are two sections/enemies in the game where you'll pretty much need at least cursory melee skill- Liches, who are nearly invulnerable to magic, and the eighth level of the fortress, where magic doesn't work. There are also a few enemies that are very difficult in melee but die quickly to spells. It's best to be balanced.
Put your STR at 10-12, Dex at 10, then put all your other stat points into Int. You'll want your strength at 12 to use the best weapon in the game, but every level you get earns you 1 stat point and 15 skill points, so your initial configuration isn't so binding as a D&D game or something like that. Don't bother with the intuition ability at all. You don't need your magic skill very high to use powerful spells- it determines the strength of your spells and the likelihood of success for things like "Disable Trap" but you can get by with a 40-50 level skill and still do fine when you need it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Manhatten Project is actually a really solid and really good 2D action game. I recommend it. I wouldn't really call it a platformer though. It's basically a Bionic Commando Rearmed version of the first two games.
I agree. There's lots of secrets to find and the game's fun.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Whether or not it's in the TOS or you can back it up or whatever, games being removed even for payed customers seriously puts a damper on my enthusiasm for this service. At least on Steam even if a game is taken down, I still have it on my account if I bought it first, for example Alien Shooter Vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Overwined posted:

It's the tradeoff for no DRM, pure and simple. With Steam if your internet connection breaks you can't play any of your games. With GoG if someone gets squirrelly about their license you lose the ability to DL it. Don't act like Steam can be more free and unfettered than GoG. They both have their limitations.
Steam's limitations don't bother me. Apparently I'm that rare sort of PC gamer that always has an internet connection available on his computer :iiam:
I liked GOG for being cheap and old, not for no DRM. I don't give a poo poo about DRM unless it goes out of its way to stop me from using a program or utility, glitch out and prevent the game from running, or run out of installations with no way of getting them back.