Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
For those of you who have gotten Thief Gold and Metal Age from GoG, how do they work? I do already own both games on disc, but it's a pain to get them to run on modern systems (though I have done it) and I always like to bypass the copy protection with a crack because I don't like swapping CD's (again, I do own these games legit), so I'm thinking of getting both when next they go on sale.

GoG has this reputation for not only removing all copy protection but also making older games run on modern systems with little to no hassle, but I wanted to hear from some people who have dealt with it firsthand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

andrew smash posted:

i've run thief gold on windows 7 without any problems.

Could you run it straight after install without problems/copy protection issues? Just want to be sure... if I'm going to buy a game that I already own for the convenience, then I genuinely don't want to have to faff about with it at all.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

OlMaster posted:

Surprised no one's posted this yet. GOG/CD Projekt are giving away a 'legendary' PC RPG for free on Thursday.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-02-witcher-dev-giving-away-legendary-pc-rpg-free-on-gog-com-on-thursday

It would have to be something truly and biblically awesome, because Witcher 1 was tedious and utterly insipid, so I have no desire to touch the sequel.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ToxicFrog posted:

I haven't played Thief Gold since installing win7, but I installed Thief 2 via TafferPatcher (which automatically applies the multicore fix and other fixes) and it works perfectly; I'd assume that the GOG version contains the same fixes (absent graphical upgrades like fakeHDR) and would work just as well.

That said, if you still have the discs, TMA works fine if you install it through TafferPatcher (and T2X works fine with a TP-created install). I don't know if there's an equivalent for TDP, though.

I will go straightaway and get TafferPatcher. That sounds heavenly. Thank you!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Can you ask for Eye of the Beholder next week? I really want EotB and you seem to be a magician.

Isn't EoB abandonware these days? I got the whole trilogy off of some French abandonware site, and they are one of those by-the-book, legal-beagle sites that only host games that have been formally abandoned, etc etc

They were in English and self-extracting and worked without any problems. If you're interested, I'll try and find them again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

macnbc posted:

I don't believe there is such a thing as "formally abandoned", at least under US copyright law, since those go for life of the author + Disney years.

Bear in mind a lot of the games on GOG used to be considered "abandonware" until the publishers who own their rights decided to bring them back.

Fair dues - maybe it's one of those sites that "hosts games for free if they're quite confident that the original developer won't sue the pants off of them"

In any event, I love those EoB/Lands of Lore 1 (which I bought off of GoG) style games and I'm not giving them back. :smugbert:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Since abandonware is such a messy subject and god knows if it counts as :filez: just say the name of that French site, but don't link to it. I will buy the Golden Box it if it ever gets on GOG, but at least I'm happy to know that the version floating elsewhere is compatible with modern systems.

On another subject, how do you guys configure modern joysticks with old games?

Sent you a PM with pertinent information

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

Nah, there's also the colorblind and dudes that get sick when the FOV in FPS games is too low. (Also left handed here.)

I'm primarily right handed, so I can't say much (I do a few minor things with my left), but I am very slightly colourblind and even just a little bit can be a huge impediment for gaming. I used to play TF2 all the time and I would constantly get killed because it was hard for me to distinguish between RED and BLU team members from the middle distance and beyond, so I would hesitate sometimes while trying to tell one from the other and then promptly get a pipe bomb in the earhole.

If you haven't played, every player of any specific class in TF2 looks identical except for some of the colours on his character model that change depending on his team.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Remind me again which Heroes games were the good ones? I have such vague memories of them. I remember 3 being the paragon of the series, but I thought I remembered 4 also being around the apex (1 & 2 generally mediocre) and then 5 and beyond being steaming piles of poo.

If anyone could, semi-objectively, give me some feedback or point me to some reliable reviews or whatnot, I'd appreciate it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
How are Descents 1 & 2? I got 3 years ago with a new video card and loved it, so I snatched it up first thing in the sale today, but I 1 & 2 look pretty rough and, being skeptical, I held off.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Several enquiries here, so bear with me.

I think that I'm going to treat myself to Descent 1&2 on the GoG sale on the heels of the links given to me as well as the fact that it's $3 and I am kind of a collector (read: Anal retentive completionist). I also must confess that I never knew that Descent 3 had an expansion until today - kind of them to include that for the hopelessly neurotic such as myself.

However, I was wondering about DotEmU, which I hadn't honestly heard of until that link just a few minutes ago... how does it work? I don't want to start another war on this forum like what happened a while ago, but I get a little fed up with intrusive gaming clients - Steam is about all I can stand. I bought Avernum 4 for $2 off of Big Fish Games earlier this week without realising that it would burden me with another buggering mandatory game client, and I don't want another.

If someone could tell me about DotEmu, I'd appreciate it. If it's totally unintrusive like GoG, I'm going to pick up the Goblins Trilogy. I had totally forgotten about that series until I saw it on their site - the heroin that is nostalgis came flooding back.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Purple D. Link posted:

Dotemu is French GOG. No DRM, no clients like Steam.

C'est exactement ce que je voulais voir.

Hopefully many of their games will be in French.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

havenwaters posted:

Yeah. It was released a month or two ago.

... and Thief 3 (my favourite, and I know that I'm well in the minority there) just hit. Even though I have Thief 3 on Steam and Thief 1 - Gold and Thief 2 (the "spiritual sequel" to Thief 2, Shadows of the Metal Age, is free to download) on disc, I'm going to grab all 3 on GoG as soon as they go on sale (I imagine that all 3 will simultaneously at some point) because GoG games by and large are much less of a pain in the knob to get to run on modern systems.

I've been able to get Thief 1 Gold and Thief 2 to work on Windows 7, but it's neither fun nor easy. Sadly, System Shock 2 is even worse <glares meaningfully at GoG big-wigs :argh: >

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have gotten it to work, but it was probably the biggest struggle that I have ever had. I would get it to start up, and then the movies or sound wouldn't work, and it was just one long parade of trying to fix problems that kept popping up like angry little radishes. I never could get a working "no random monsters" mod, which I found to be a real game-breaker in a game where every encounter is a big deal and ammo and resources are sparse.

I am also aware of the legal issues - my anger was directed towards Star Insurance or whoever the bloody hell they are... and they can sod off.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

Um, what? I would occasionally run into a scarce ammo issue and come across a spawned monster that gave me some trouble, but that's what the wrench (and a modicum of basic video games skill) is for. If you aren't down to your last health hypo and wielding a pistol that can break on the next trigger pull, you ain't playing SS2 in the proper manner.

In short, my 1999 peen swingeth in your direction.

Firstly, I'm not very good at video games in general, and proud of it. Secondly, I like to take my time with each game and explore every nook and cranny, and constantly being bum-raped by shotgun-wielding mutants with designs on my tender flesh ruins my fun. That type of mechanic in a resource-sparse game will either force me to sprint through the game, missing all of the content and exploration that I love, or I'll end up fighting them with nothing but a pot plant and bad language. In short, you play the game the way that you like and I will play the game in the way that I like - SS2 has always been plenty challenging for me my way.

PS I love your avatar - 'tis adorable and motivated me to buy HSL

If anyone does know how to disable respawns, I would appreciate it. The game mods pretty easily, but that aspect of it really hurts the game for me.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 4, 2012

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

TehGherkin posted:

... why the hell would you be proud of being bad at something? Not being bothered that you're not good at something is one thing but being proud that you're bad at something is kind of retarded.

Because I'm the sort of person that is interested in everything, so I dabble in a lot of things a little bit when it comes to entertainment, thus I never really get exceptionally good at anything.

Also, given the tendency that video games seem to have to provoke and encourage OCD behaviour, I'm proud of the fact that I haven't wasted my life getting good at something so pointless as manipulating pixels on a screen, and I frankly have a lot of contempt for people who spend countless hours honing "skills" that are utterly pointless. Moderation is fine, but I'd rather spend the lion's share of my free time reading the great literary works, listening to opera, studying modern languages, and that kind of thing... bettering myself as a person rather than improving my K:D ratio in some TF2 or whatever.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can do all of that while still being good at video games

Judging by the last 32+ years, apparently *I* can't.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sonic H posted:

Have you tried Sins of a Solar Empire? That's about as close as anything else I've played and it's loving awesome and very pretty. Not much in the way of storyline to speak of, but the combat, tech trees and ship varieties are incredibly detailed and diverse. If you can get hold of the "Trinity" edition (includes the two expansion packs) I'd certainly recommend it.

That pack was on a Steam daily not a week ago for $9.99, and I didn't pull the trigger. I regret that - don't make the same mistake that I did. Amazing looking game.

That said, They are coming out with a stand-alone expansion that has all of the above plus a new expansion in the same suite of software. I know that I won't get it because it will probably cost $39.99 and I am a cheap bastard, but I wanted to mention it for those of you who make a good living.

Edit: It's called Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and can be found at http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store#rebellion. $39.95, digital download only. Not sure when it's going to be released.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Agrias120 posted:

... the likelihood that I'll buy a joystick just to play them is astronomically low.

I grabbed the Ultima games that I didn't have (I bought 7 some time ago, and 4 was redundant due to it being free, but I had to buy it to get 5 and 6) first thing this morning. I was going to get the WC games, but I stopped for the same reason as you - I don't have a joystick, just a few Logitech PS2-style gamepads, and I'm not prepared to invest in an expensive peripheral that would get such limited use (assuming that I ever played the games in the first place - my backlog is reaching epic proportions these days). Plus, I just never get into space games as much as I do fantasy/sword & sorcery games.

I really wish that GoG would start doing a daily deal like Steam has been doing for a long time now - I think that it would put a lot of bums on seats, metaphorically speaking. As it stands, I basically go to GoG every Friday morning to check the weekend sales, buy whatever it is that strikes my fancy, and then forget about it until the following Friday except for what I hear on this forum. I think that putting even one game on special every calendar day would get more people going to the site and spark new interest. After all, more traffic pretty much guarantees more sales, I would think.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sackmo posted:

And if you're going to play 7 with Exult, I highly recommend you customize Exult's hot keys. It'll make for a much better gameplay experience. I made a post earlier in this thread detailing how, which you can find by clicking on my question mark thing.

Also you should probably play with companions. I didn't, for whatever reason, and I get the feeling this was a mistake. :ohdear:

I tried Exult, despite my fear of the "randomly disappearing objects bug" that seems to haunt it, and while I thought that it was indeed a fantastic augmentation I have never been able to change key binds. I've looked at the website closely and followed the instructions as best I can, and I'd like to think that I'm not computer illiterate. No matter what I do, changing the config files to point to the new keybind file and all that, the game *always* uses the default key binds, even if I change the controls in the actual default bind file, which is just baffling. I just find the base keyboard controls to be very awkward and this game mouse-only feels like a chore to me, so I have kind of shelved it until I figure this out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sackmo posted:

Yes, this is the single most frustrating aspect of Exult. It took me about a half an hour of fiddling around with files before I was able to successfully change them, and hence why I posted my how-to earlier in this thread. I wouldn't have even been able to play the game without setting WASD direction control.

Also, someone in this thread posted a new fonts file that makes reading the text infinitely easier. You can find his post here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455&pagenumber=432&perpage=40#post398341160

Would you kindly point me again to this tutorial? I saw your post just a bit above here about it, but I'm honestly not sure what I was expected to click on. Ultima VII seems fantastic, but I'm in the same boat as you - without WASD control it feels so awkward that I can't get into the game.

I'm still mystified as to how one can alter the file that contains the key binds the game uses by default and it doesn't change anything. If you look at the very top of the default key bind file after installing in 7, there are some useful commands that are commented out. If you remove the comment tags they still don't do anything, which makes me feel like a right idiot because this whole mess is probably something simple for which I will hate myself once I figure it out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cass posted:

Current prices for the Divinity pack have the minimum for both Divine and Beyond at just over $6 while the complete pack can be bought for around $12. Big change from what it was a couple days ago.

I noticed that this morning, but shortly thereafter (around 11 or so EST) the price started to creep back up, penny by penny, so I jumped on the pack at 12.05 USD. I already had Divine Divinity, but I decided that Beyond Divinity and the remake that comes out next week (the 18th, according to GOG) was well worth the price. Plus, at that point, I was pretty sure that the price wasn't going to drop anymore and was probably going to rise a fair bit.

I now have an extra copy of Divine Divinity, if anyone would like it. Wouldn't be opposed to a trade if anyone has something to offer. I noticed that the Blitzkrieg 2 pack just came out (I got the Blitzkrieg 1 pack last week for $10, and I almost never pay the full ten for anything on GOG) which is making me drool, but that's a $10 game, so not really a fair deal.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I had a huge wishlist on GOG for the better part of a year, and in the last two months they have had so many good sales that I have picked up a drat near frightening number of games. I actually did a count Friday after picking up a bunch of games in the Halloween sales mid-week and the weekend sale, and it's pretty alarming how many I've got now.

I'm going to hold off posting the number for now, but there are 473 separate games (by which I mean individual purchasable items, i.e. the little boxes that show up in your game library) on GOG at time of writing and I'd like to know how many the other GOG enthusiasts in this thread have. I'm admittedly trying to make myself feel better about my spending habits, but I have a feeling that I might be pretty solidly in the lead so far as the "percentage" of GOG that I own.

So, humour me and tell me how many GOG titles that you have.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ulgress posted:

410. A friend and I play splits, since everything is DRM-free. Every time one of us wants something we consult an excel sheet noting which of us last bought a game. So to answer your question in a more contextually relevant way, I've paid for 205 of those games.

Okay, even though it's two of you, you just made me feel better. I'm at 224 as of last count, the majority of which have come in the last two months due to the amazing GoG sales and the fact that I recently started a new job that actually pays a livable wage. Mind you, it also requires long hours, so my actual play time is very low, which is kind of mental.

That includes free games, and I would say that apart from 6 or 8 of those titles, all of them were on sale - I remember grabbing Quest for Glory the day it came out (if it hadn't been the whole series, I wouldn't have bothered), both Blitzkrieg games and Silent Storm at full price, and a few others as well.

Basically, I love GOG's business model so much that, whenever any game goes on sale for 50% or more I buy it, even if I'm not that keen on it per se - I just want to support the company. Lately, I've been getting a little fed up with Steam and their bullshit client that doesn't work offline most of the time, but GOG is just gold-plated perfect from top to tip, so that's how I show appreciation.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

jivjov posted:

Previously, whenever steam shut down by any other method than going through the menu and selecting Exit Steam (I.e. crash, power loss, etc) a crash log type file was created. When steam started back up again, it would try to connect to Valve servers to send in this error log and diagnose the issue. This caused Offline mode to poo poo itself because steam would get hung up trying to deal with the error log and being unable to.

They fixed this issue a couple months back, so now as long as you set up offline mode in advance, it works fine. However, if you do not turn on offline mode before going offline, Steam will not function offline. This is by design, not a bug.

Then their design is bollocks. I just moved nearly 2 thousand miles a few months ago, and I had set up an appointment to get Internet the day that I arrived. However, due to technical issues, they couldn't install and I had to go with another ISP, which took the better part of a week to set up. Not only did this destroy my productivity, but I couldn't access most of the Steam games that were already downloaded. I didn't go into offline mode because I wasn't planning to be offline, and that sort of thing happens when people lose service unexpectedly or move out of service areas for any number of reasons.

I don't care if that is their "policy" - it's bullshit. I payed for those games, and if I have them downloaded and ready to go, it shouldn't matter if I am online or not. I've actually been moving away from Steam lately for this reason, and another reason that I like GOG. I can download every game I own and save the install files on an external drive, then install them on my computer to play at will, and I have games with GMG and other places where I can do something similar (burn to a DVD, etc). I'm getting a little tired of this presumption that everybody has internet everywhere at every hour of the day. With Steam, even if I have the foresight to pre-install games, I'll still be hosed over a bramble bush if the internet goes down.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ragequit posted:

This is no longer true. You can boot up with no internet connection now and it will perfectly launch Steam in to offline mode, even if you closed down with internet connectivity. It was patched in to work properly like this a few months back.

I'll test it sometime, and I hope that you are correct. My extended loss of internet service happened from about 15 August to maybe 21 August of this year, so it would be quite recent if they did address it. Valve at this point has more money than God and they probably spend their lunch breaks swimming in gold dubloons like Scrooge McDuck with a programming degree, so I don't have a lot of patience for that kind of shite.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zoe posted:

Somehow I managed to almost completely miss this sale! Three hours left, somebody help quick, do I need to play the first two Lands of Lore before the third one?

Also which Populous do I get? Decisions... :ohdear: It sucks to be poor.

I have no experience yet with LoL (just realised the acronym - glee!) 2 & 3, though I do own them, but Lands of Lore 1 is a beautiful version of Eye of the Beholder 4, basically, that Westwood got to make when they were no longer required to put up with D&D cannon bullshit (I loved 2nd ed, but a lot of it was a bunch of wank). It's a very well-thought-of game from what I see, with timeless hand-drawn 2d sprites.

If you're so broke that you can't afford this game - I am not mocking you... trust me, I've been there - then I will buy you a copy myself; it's that sodding good. I owe this forum plenty and no mistake.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zoe posted:

I appreciate the offer, but no need, you've given me enough convincing to spring for a couple extra bucks. It's not so much that I absolutely can't afford it as that I'm feeling increasingly stupid/wasteful for constantly buying games when money is tight just so they can sit and look pretty on a digital shelf for the next, like...year or so before I get around to installing them.

I keep telling myself I'm going to stop but then it's such a good deal. :negative:

I actually spend more now on games than I ever did before the rise of digital distribution and so on. Now, with so many older games becoming viable again and the low prices, I spend tons while telling myself that "it's such a good deal!", so now I have hundreds of games that I will never play, most likely.

In the case of a lot of places, it's just bargain hunting, but for GOG a lot of it is just wanting to support a company I have a high regard for - I just think that they have a superb business model. I am so sick of the jacked-up AAA game prices these days and the arrogant, paranoid DRM that companies use.

I still laugh my tits off when I remember how Skidrow, the hacking group, took the piss out of Ubisoft when they finally cracked the "always online" DRM on Assassin's Creed 2. If memory serves, they cracked the game then sent an e-mail to Ubisoft saying "Nice try guys, but nobody stops us from doing what we do. Next time, why don't you spend your time making a better game?", or something like that. Still funny to me years later.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zero Star posted:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 is demanding that I insert the game disc to play it. :confused:

Seriously!? I hope that this is an isolated incident - I loved both RCT1 and 2. I own both on GOG and I have the original, fully-expanded RTC1 on disc (never cared for 3).

I was hoping to crack open that game during the winter holidays, so let me know if you figure it out or hear anything from the techs at GOG.

Edit: Retarded choice of vocab

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

univbee posted:

Regarding the sale, does anyone know if you can make multiple purchases, e.g. buy two sets of 5 games for $10 each, totaling $20?

I just bought two quintets myself. You have to buy your 5, check out, then come back and repeat.

I already had 8 of the 20 games on that list (kind of narked off that I paid so much for Alan Wake + expansion) and bought two sets of 5. I can still get the last two for $10 (Defcon & Uplink), but I don't think that I will - just doesn't seem worth it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I already had 8 of the 20 games on this sale, and I picked up two 5-packs this morning, but I'm still missing Defcon and Uplink. Now, I don't want to pay $10 just for those, but if anybody would be willing to toss me a non-special $5.99+ game that I don't have yet, I would be willing to buy those two games, keep them, and give you whatever other 3 you fancy on that special as a gift.

I know that this makes me sound like a cheap bastard, and I am. I kind of have a rule when I buy games on GOG, and while 2 for $10 isn't a "good deal" to me, what would ostensibly be 3 for $10 is, so if anyone's keen on that idea, let me know.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ulgress posted:

The only game on there that I don't have is Mutant Mudds. Anyone buying a bundle want to split the cost (I'll pay you the $2 if there's only 4 games on the list that tickle your fancy) and just throw the files my way later?

It feels like a waste paying $10 for the bundle to get duplicates, or $9.96 on Desura for just Mudds when I can both Mutant Mudds and The Real Texas for the same kind of money.

Let me know (via PM if you have that capability) if you want to work something out. As of this morning I am just missing Uplink and Defcon from that list, but I don't want to pay the $10 for just those and 3 giftables.

Maybe a 3rd party would just like Alan Wake and the expansion? That's an amazing deal for $4 or so.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zeeman posted:

I'd be down for this. I was looking to get Resonance, Botanicula and Unmechanical. My email is zeeman800 at gmail.com.

Sent you an e-mail last night and then noticed that I sent it to zeeman80, not 800. Resending now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Another goon and I found out that hard way that you can't split the 5 for 10 deal. If you buy a bundle and it has even one game that you already own, then it forces you to gift the entire bundle. I'm sure that they did this in order to prevent exploitation, but this still seems a bit "grouchy old man" of GOG. You can, however, buy less than 5 games for $10 if you want to. I realized that I was still missing 3 games from that promotion instead of 2, so I went ahead and paid a tenner for 3.

Also, there is a weekend sale starting this morning. I know that this doesn't sound like world-shattering news, but with the 5 for 10 deal and it having been Thanksgiving yesterday in the US, I didn't think that they would do one this week and would just have the 5 for 10 instead.

Finall, because I haven't seen it mentioned here, GOG over the past 6 weeks or so (just not this week because of the holiday) has been putting one game on sale every Wednesday in a "GOG Gem Promo." I really enjoy this promotion and hope that it continues indefinitely - it gives me something to look forward to on Wednesday alongside the new Zero Punctuation. Since the normal GOG weekend deal usually starts on Friday morning and continues through Monday night, I'd love to see them expand this and do a Gem promo for 24 hours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, each one for a different game. I think that they have the game library to sustain such a thing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just noticed that Steam put out Tomb Raiders 1-5 for $10 each. Bugger me but Steam has some brass balls sometimes.

Tomb Raider 1, 2, & 3 on Steam = $30
Tomb Raider 1, 2, & 3 on GOG = $10

Tomb Raider 4 & 5 on Steam = $20
Tomb Raider 4 & 5 on GOG = $10

I'm assuming that Steam hopes that nobody knows about GOG - maybe they don't think that GOG is big enough to matter. Either way, the brass neck of Valve to charge $10 for retro games that are much cheaper elsewhere and are *still* priced the same as Underworld, Legend, and Anniversary, which came out more than a decade later.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Gilg posted:

But Steam doesn't set prices?

I thought that prices were jointly agreed upon by both Steam and the developer/publisher to maximize profits?

Still, if Steam isn't responsible for setting prices, 'tis even more bananas. Why would the developers let GOG sell those games for a fraction of the price, but not Steam?

Edit: I probably just answered my own question. Since Steam is so well known, the publishers probably assume (rightly so, I fear) that they can get a lot more per copy than they can on a lesser-known site like GOG.

If I didn't think that I would get banned to forever and back, and I'd go on the official Steam forums and tell everyone.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 29, 2012

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was curious... does anyone know why Gothic 1 wasn't on sale but all of the other Gothic games were? I wanted to get the whole quartet (I admittedly do have them on Steam also), but only 2, 3, and 3 - poo poo edition were on special. I have a personal rule (to keep me from overspending) about only buying games on GOG if they are on 50% off or better, so I held off.

Just curious, really. Usually those "themed" GOG sales are logically comprehensive, if you'll pardon the expression.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tewratomeh posted:

I have to admit, I'm aware of GOG and yet my first immediate reaction to seeing the Tomb Raiders popping up on Steam was "cool, now I just have to wait for a Steam Sale". I even considered buying one at full Steam price. That's how powerful the Valve's platform is right now, you can be aware of the alternative and still subconsciously want to buy games only if they're on Steam.

Funny that you should say that, because I am the exact opposite. I now won't even buy a game on Steam if it's available on GOG, because I find the Steam client annoying and loathe DRM in general. I will also buy a game on GOG that I already own on Steam for similar reasons.

For example, out of the blue Steam put out all 3 Thief games when GOG still only had Gold and 2. I bought them on Steam on day one, but as soon as GOG got Thief 3 and had a half-off sale, I bought those too. In addition, Witcher 2 went down to $7.49 over the Thanksgiving sales but, even though I wanted it (and I certainly couldn't argue with the price), I held off because it's on GOG and I will wait until it goes on sale there for $15 or less. Yes, I am willing to pay twice as much to get a game on GOG - I feel that strongly about DRM and have that much affection for GOG's business and distribution model.

In another note, I stumbled upon a game recently called Swords & Sorcery Underworld Gold, which strongly evokes the first 2 Might & Magic games with a bit of Wizardry as well. I ended up trading a couple of e-mails with the creator (a Frenchman, of all things) over the weekend and, while the game is going through the Greenlight process for Steam, I suggested to him that he look into GOG. Apparently he had already tried but was shot down for dubious reasons - apparently GOG really only wants games with very sophisticated graphics or huge nostalgia market recognition (according to him). This rather saddened me as I thought that GOG would be the ideal audience for M&M/Wizardry-inspired games like that.

One can still buy the game direct from the creator (and possibly Steam some day), but I was still disappointed. Seemed like the perfect partnership and all that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

elf help book posted:

GOG will actually provide you a GOG copy of Witcher 1 or 2 for free if you give them a serial number from somewhere else, like a Steam copy.

http://www.gog.com/witcher2/backup

Though buying it directly from GOG does give them more money. :)

Piddle - I wish that I had known this. I had Witcher 1 on Steam long before I got the GOG version, and I fancy that I could have picked up the sequel last week on Steam then redeemed it on GOG.

Oh well, always happy to give GOG my business. I have a deep and abiding pool of bile for digital rights management in general and the fact that companies pursue it relentlessly despite ample research showing that it's a waste of time and energy. I hope profoundly that GOG never changes their stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Could anyone tell me a bit about Faster than Light? It's on special today (40%), but I can't quite seem to get a handle on how it plays or what other games it might resemble.

I normally don't pay much attention to user ratings on GOG, but this game has a 5-star rating with over 800 reviews, so that did catch my eye. I thought I'd ask this thread in case anyone has played it.