Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
well I just restarted Arx Fatalis (last time I played it was buggy and I couldn't finish a quest involving the goblin king or something). Anyone having an issue with the GOG version chopping up in menu screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Jetsetlemming posted:

If anyone can iron out the technical issues of Deus Ex, CDProjekt could. And I'd totally pay $10 for a Digital Distro copy of DX that doesn't have any speed issues due to processor timing, power settings, or dual cores, and is easily compatible with mods (the Steam copy doesn't work with mods becuase of the altered .exe for Steam, you have to replace it with one from a patch and set the game not to update to get mods to work).

Edit: Especially if it comes with the soundtrack, like the retail copy of Deus Ex: GOTY did.

I'm not sure if this is going to happen. I've been playing around with arx fatalis and it's either 5 fps in menus or blazingly fast that I'm at the end of a long hallway in a split second. There's postings on their forums but no real solution to this speed issue.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Jetsetlemming posted:

I don't have that problem in my game. Do you have a multi core processor? Arx might have problems with that.

Yeah I have a dual core processor. I changed the affinity to one processor and it doesn't do anything really.

It still doesn't explain the choppiness in the character creation or character stat screen though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
oh I think I may have figured out the whole slow down problem for arx fatalis but I don't think I've solved it. It appears to only happen on menu screens with lots of text so I think it's due to the font being too high resolution and therefore the game chops. I had this problem in Gothic 3 and switched the font to the gothic 2 font and solved any choppiness I had. I tried it last night in Arx Fatalis but it crashed. I'll try it again soon to see if it works.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

buttweed posted:

Does the online component of freespace 2 still work?

I'm pretty sure there's working multiplayer with the open source engine called fsp open.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm really hoping we see Rogue Spear soon. I've never actually played it but was told it's basically Rainbow Six with better levels.

The best Rainbow Six imo. It was R6 with better missions and a hell of a lot more weapons.

I really enjoyed those matches with shotguns only with rubber pellets. It also helped that most people didn't know you had to load 1 shell at a time so that while they were empty, I'd run over and unload my shells. Also, grenade only matches were fantastic.

I'd like to see Blade of Darkness as well. I remember getting pretty far in it and I just stopped playing it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

The game is patched up a little past the original, which may have been done to address compatibility issues. I'm not really sure what the patch level addressed, however.

It does not run in a wrapper, you may have gotten that idea from the fact that GOG uses the open source DOSBox to run many of its old games, but this one runs on its own. Even at this level, it is not completely bug-free, for me, on some levels saves take a really long time to load, EAX doesn't work, and the game ignores my anti-aliasing settings half the time. Nothing too huge, but minor annoyances nonetheless.

There's also dual core timing problems which haven't been addressed so that you can suddenly end up at the other end of a hallway. I also have a problem with any screen with fonts (character stats, diary, etc.) and those screens make my fps drop a top (I have a good laptop so this shouldn't be happening).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

ymgve posted:

This reminds me - apparently the best way to play the Freespace games is with a stick, but as I don't have one of those, how does it play with mouse+KB, or alternatively, a 360 gamepad?

I used Mouse and Keyboard in FS2 and it was definitely playable. I used a mix of mouse controls (inverted works better for these types of games) and the default with a and z as acceleration deceleration.

I just got FO1 and 2 despite already owning the CD versions as well as sacrifice (I remember it being good from reviews but my computer couldn't run the demo) and Hostile Waters (same as sacrifice). I was thinking of getting something else but I don't feel like it at the moment.

And yes the site is slow for me at the moment but I'm downloading sacrifice at 144kb/sec

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't have wasted a free game on Freespace, I should have gotten something else instead? :saddowns:

I think you need the assets from FS1 to play in FSopen. If not, then I also just wasted a free game.

But before GOG, FS2 was legally "free" to distribute to friends due to something in the EULA. so....

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Overwined posted:

I doubt it since GoG has a contract with the publisher. I don't understand is that a mod or a standalone port? How can it be free if it's porting something that's still under license?

You need some of the Descent core files to use Rebirth. Rebirth is pretty much just an enhanced renderer and adds some neat things like debris floating around permanently and other neato features.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
ah I remember incoming. I downloaded the demo ages ago but it never ran right. I think it did some sort of demo thing until you clicked something to go to the menu or whatever but it always crashed whenever I did so. It looked so cool and I think would've looked awesome on my Voodoo 3 at the time :(.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Spatial posted:

The mouse controls in Freespace are actually pretty excellent. I wouldn't say you're missing anything if you aren't using a joystick.

yeah I beat FS2 with slightly modified controls and it was a blast. I originally thought you had to use the arrow keys on the numpad (which my laptop didn't have) but the mouse was just right. Had to use inverted mouse though (even though I'm non inverted for fps games... weird).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Grey Area posted:

I picked up The Longest Journey. Is anyone else having trouble getting it to run in Windows 7? Running it fullscreen on my 1920x1200 screen results in a horribly stretched and pixelated picture, but running it in windowed mode gives all kinds of artifacts and terrible frame rates in the FMVs. I tried running it in XP Mode, but it lags like crazy.

I haven't run it on a new computer (I have the 4 cd version from waaayyyyy back) but you can get AA working on the 3d models at the 640x480 or whatever res it runs in by using some sort of modified exe. I don't know how to get the windowed mode working though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

sethsez posted:

Well, I picked up Arx Fatalis and it's great when it wants to work. I either have to choose between using my native resolution and getting fatal memory errors with some regularity, or playing at 1280x800 in Windows 98 compatibility mode (I'm using Vista). I don't regret getting it for $5, but it's the first game I've gotten from GoG that's has issues like this.

I get all these weird issues with the game being horribly choppy when in a screen with a lot of text like the character stat screen. On top of this, I have weird cpu issues so that the game runs super drat fast and then slows down to normal speed suddenly. Can't find any solutions online or on the gog forums...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

And 30% of off the Jowood catalogue.

Including Gothic 2, Painkiller and Spellforce.

It looks like it doesn't include Gothic 1 which is a jowood game :(.

vv well that's surprising. I just want a Gothic 1 and 2 duo combo sale.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 20, 2009

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Modian posted:

Their catalog would be easier to swallow if their sales were more than a dollar off. The Interplay 2 for 1 sale is the last time I bought anything, and the only time since I registered a year ago. Maybe I'm just impatient. Here's hoping they get Torment up soon since I'm sick of carrying the discs around.

Yeah I'd like to have some more 2 for 1 sales but it's pretty cheap already. And it's quite possible Torment may be released on GoG since there has been a rerelease in Europe.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So it's pretty weird, I just used a ECA coupon and my total is more than the normal not on sale price... all the other numbers are correct though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

glug posted:

Going backwards, but how do these compare to Risen? Never played Gothic(s), but got Risen on a bad whim, and it was RELOAD CITY. Game is impossible, which is kind of good and also horrible.

edit: looking up Divine Divinity now also. Jesus, I'm playing M&M6 for nostalgia, and realizing there are so many other great games I just missed from back in the day. gog.com rules.

From what I've played of the Risen demo, Gothic 2 Gold is more difficult. Gothic 2 vanilla is also more difficult than the Risen demo, but it's not as hard since you get more experience and stat potions give you more benefits than the Gold version. That said, Gold gives you a ton of new content and is worth playing.

Gothic 1 is about the same difficulty as Gothic 2. Basic strategy is don't fight orcs until you're very strong...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Woebin posted:

Maybe it's Battlecruiser 3000AD :v:

Seriously though, I hope it's Planescape.

or the System Shock games.

vv
there's an import rerelease on gogamer.com which is around 20-30 USD I think.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 22, 2010

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

SereneCrimson posted:

PLEASE be this.
Oh how I want those two, where I can just install them with no hassle on Windows 7 and just play.

I'm not sure if this is considered :files: or not, but there is a configured System Shock 1 floating around that has dosbox and works almost perfectly. It also has high resolutions and I think it works fine on vista.

I'll post it if it's alright.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Well they have another clue about the count down.

The return of incredibly karmic awareness.

There's also a possible clue in the first letters of the Expect the Unexcelled.

About two more days...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

aw it's not planescape or system shock 2 :(.

I could never get Gabriel Knight working on even old computers so maybe I can finally give it a try.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Advent Rising is pretty fun. I just remember using dual rocket launchers, doing crazy flips, and using crazy powers.

Blood Rayne 1 was a bit boring from what I remember. 2 looks better though and has really ridiculous blood and titties.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Zat posted:

What a fantastic weekend deal this time. I don't think I'll be buying TLJ for the third time (already have it physically and on Steam) but Sanitarium is an insta-buy for that price. Never managed to play that one and I've only heard good things about it.

For anyone who doesn't own TLJ, that deal is a no-brainer as well. It's one of my roughly top 3 adventure games all time. I say go for it, everyone.

hmmm... My friend gave me his copy of TLJ and I played the hell out of it. I got a copy of Dreamfall with TLJ packed with it. I'm considering to get it again for the digital version. arg.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Fishmonkey posted:

I've never played the Gothic games. Is the combat like Morrowind? Is it turn-based?

It's real time. And it can be difficult as hell in the beginning. There is no level scaling monsters so some areas appear inaccessible because you'll get killed easily. However, if you're good at maneuvering as a low level character, it's possible to get to these areas but it's a bit tough and time consuming.

Lots of little hidden things in a well-made world. It's not nearly as big as morrowind but it feels alive with people doing their own things and wildlife roaming and eating stuff.

I really liked the gothic games more than the elder scrolls series because the plot and characters are much more interesting.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
How is spellforce? I like RPGs but I'm terrible at RTS games and I've played a few RPG/RTS games and I'm not terribly great at them.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Ansob. posted:

I thought the open source FS2 project actually required some files from FS2 to run, and in fact the open source part is just the visual upgrade?

Or did I hallucinate that?

You need FS2 assets in order to play FS2 stuff. There are a bunch of free custom campaigns with user made content. And I think FS1 is free for whatever reason.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Ansob. posted:

Is there any real point to buying FS2 then? Other than the FS2 plot itself being decent I guess.

Other than the plot being really god drat awesome? It's a fantastic game and the engine really makes FS2 shine (it looks good today). FS1 I think you can get free but I really haven't played it that much.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

I've beaten Freespace 1 with just a laptop keyboard. It's hard though!

Before I started using the mouse with Freespace 2, I was playing pretty well with just keyboard. It was pretty much the same except you used 2, 4, 6, and 8 on the numpad to steer.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Zat posted:

What, this was an awesome little puzzle.

Just like the magnetized screwdriver passed as a magic wand at the market, you give the wizard your calculator because his mind will be blown by its satanic omniscience. The former puzzle solution made the latter quite logical. The issue, though, is that you can't do this via the actual dialog choices which are a diversion, you'll need to look up the calculator from your inventory. That's how you trigger the maths duel.

You can only beat magic with science!

edit: I just cannot type.

Man I loved that whole section in the floating castle. I think The Longest Journey is the only point and click adventure game I've beaten without a walkthrough.

vv
The voice acting is good from what I remember. It's been like 7 years since I last played it though.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 21, 2010

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I'm glad JA2 is finally on sale. I've been waiting to rebuy it for a while. It's been a while since I last played with the 1.13 mod but drat, they completely changed stuff like a whole new inventory system with holsters and poo poo :P. I can't wait to micromanage magazines and stuff! :) I also completely forgot all the hotkeys so I'm running around and proning like an idiot.

I can't wait to attach all these toys to lovely/awesome guns and blow up heads. Oh and I want to get a mortar and mustard gas rounds :D.

But yeah, main gameplay is the really detailed turn-based combat. You don't really need to deal with all the micromanagement of making your guns awesome but you probably should. There's a bunch of neat little rpg elements that also make a difference if you notice them (stats and missing shipments...). The economy system is simple enough though. You just capture towns, secure the silver mine, and get $. You also need to train militia so they don't get taken over but that's it pretty much. There's also mafia and farmers you have to worry about too.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

SSJ Reeko posted:

I just bought Freespace 2, but every time I try to play it the controls scare me off. I have a joystick but I'm terrible with it and don't like it, I don't see how it's supposed to make you more accurate. Plus I have no idea how to lay out the controls, there's so many that I look at the screen for 2 minutes before turning the game off in frustration. If there was just some 360 controller map guide, then that'd be lovely, but I still have no idea how to lay that out.

Is there any tips people can give as to how to layout a flightstick or a controller in that game? I don't understand how it's supposed to work. Complex controls scare me, help please. :(

I beat the game with a mouse. I don't think I really remapped the controls.

Combat controls were left mouse as lasers and right mouse as missiles.

Movement was done with mouse and a and z controlled how fast you were going. Tab was turbo and m was match speed with target. T was cycle target.

There are some finer points like linking up different lasers and reinforcing shields or evenly distributing them which you should figure out in the very well done tutorial.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Wasn't the original ground control released for free at some point in time? I remember seeing it on fileplanet or something a few years back.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So as someone turned off by arcanum years ago, how is it nowadays with all the patches? I'm not sure if I can get into an isometric 2d game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the setting as it's unique like Planescape Torment, another isometric 2d game I was never able to beat. I've replayed PST over and over but never have beaten it because the core gameplay just wasn't that exciting (other than being tactical with abilities you really weren't doing anything).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Ansob. posted:

It's still an isometric game.

It's still very good.

If you hate isometric CRPGs enough to not want to play it (which means your brain is wired wrong and you missed both the Fallouts and all of the BG series as well as PS:T and Arcanum, you poor thing), you're still not going to want to play it.

I did beat both Fallout 1 and 2 but I kind of had to grind myself through them to get the story. While it was amusing to kill people by exploding out their eyes, it was clunky with a lot of reading and reloading.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

kuddles posted:

Are the GoG versions of Jagged Alliance 2 compatible with that fan-made patch?

yep! The vanilla JA2 is. I don't know about the expansions though since they are a different publisher.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Agreed posted:

When I tried to play the original Gothic, I got killed almost immediately and had no idea what I was doing.

Is Gothic II any better? How you do a thing, that's all explained in the manual, right?

It's still as difficult as I.

Basically if you're getting killed you don't know how to use the fighting controls (it's not very intuitive but becomes very useful once you learn them), are attacking npcs you shouldn't be fighting, or are going into very very high level areas you shouldn't be going into (aka orc territory). It's neat if you have the patience since you can kill orcs at low levels; it's just very tedious but you get a ton of xp.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I had a similar realization yesterday: "Man, look at all these games. I hope there are some "Let's Plays" for them..."

"...nah, I probably won't even watch the Let's Plays for 'em."

yep that's what my life is turning into too... :(

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I'm glad I have a backup of just about everything I got from them. Hopefully they won't be gone forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Kill yourself Nthman.

and DEVILDOGOOORAH for getting my hopes up about SS2.