Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A bit late, but

Achmed Jones posted:

My favorite part about the whole GOG shutdown/relaunch thing is that I've never ordered from them. My girlfriend mentioned that she tried to get some old game called Mystic Towers to run on her computer and couldn't make it work, so I thought maybe GOG would have an easy-to-use version for $5 or something. The first time I went to their site with an actual intent to purchase something, it was down.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Oh man, if GoG had Mystic Towers I would have bought that in a loving heartbeat. Just sayin'.

Squiggle posted:

Mystic Towers is, to this day, one of my favorite games ever.

Please tell me how you get it working if you do. I still have the disks. :(

:confused:

Mystic Towers is a DOS game, it works fine in DOSBox. Grab dosbox + your frontend of choice (such as DBGL), install Mystic Towers in it, done. No need for GOG patch voodoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

.Ataraxia. posted:

Now this would be sweet. If they sold SS1 complete with the high-res and mouselook mods I'd be down. I'm pretty sure those were made by a goon? How would he feel about that....

SS1 and 2 (and Planescape Torment) were consistently in the top five requested games before they shut down, so if they come back - well, it's hardly guarateed, but it's not like they don't know people want it.

Speaking as the writer of the original highres patch, I'd think it was pretty cool, personally, and while I would appreciate being tossed a free copy of the game I wouldn't be wound up if they didn't. The patch was written to be used, after all.

However, I can only speak for myself; the current (and, frankly, far superior) HR+Mouselook+Keybinds patch is written and maintained by Malba Tahan. I don't know if he(?) is a goon.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rt4 posted:

How steep is the learning curve for HoMM 3? It sounds cool, but I'm in the mood for something not too complicated.

It's not too hard to get into. There's a lot of stuff in there, but you can pick it up as you go along, you don't need to know everything up front. Bear in mind that the campaign mode can be really vicious even on the easiest difficulty setting, though (or perhaps I'm just bad at HoMM).

Also, playing Shadow Magic has completely spoiled me for HoMM. It's like they took all the parts of HoMM3 I disliked and replaced them with things expertly grafted from Civ and Dominions 3.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I don't know if this has been posted, but the guys at Mythic seem pretty serious about lighting a fire under EA's rear end to get the Origin library re-released.

:awesome:

I still have my old Wing Commander boxes and manuals, but the floppies are long dead. And then there's Cybermage and Crusader on top of that, and I never did get WC3 working...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

404notfound posted:

I still have my box of the original PC game, complete with the blueprints for the four ships and the Tiger's Claw magazine/manual :smugdog:

:smugdog::respek::smugdog: What up, Claw Marks buddy. Still got the blueprints too.

I miss the days of getting all kinds of cool stuff with a game that didn't really have anything to do with playing it, but added to the atmosphere.

On the plus side, if this stuff comes out on GOG we get scans of it all!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GOG.com posted:

Planescape: Torment

:awesome:

Won't be buying this right off, since I still have my hardcopy and there's a lot of good games on GOG that I don't have.

But it makes me happy to see it there nonetheless.

zedprime posted:

The game interface and some of the progression flow is rear end backward and I've never been able to get very far to be honest. I am literally the worst Games Forum poster for this reason.

I think that happens to a lot of people. It took me something like six tries to actually finish PS:T - the first five times I always got bogged down in the first combat-heavy section (the Weeping Stone Catacombs, Drowned Nations, and Warrens of Thought). The combat's not hard (especially with four party members and seven levels in Mage), but it's just so annoying.

The sixth time, though, I finally got past that and kicked myself for not sticking with it before. The game really takes off once you hit the Upper Ward. Get back in there and get your amnesia on.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is Baldurs Gate combat considered better than Planescape combat? Because I just started playing it (Baldurīs Gate 1, with bg1tutu) for the first time and it seems to me as bad as I remembered Planescape combat to be.

But then, I hate real-time combat in party-based RPGs, all of then (I do kinda enjoyed it in KOTOR, though). Ive learned to accept it, since turn-based combat is nowdays considered evil, but to me, everything would be better of in turns, so I always think it sucks.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I hate both BG1 and PS:T combat. However, PS:T has a few things going for it that BG1 doesn't:

- PS:T has the "Auto Pause: At End Of Round" setting, allowing you to fake turn-based combat in it (since you can issue orders while paused)
- PS:T has way less combat and way more :words: than BG1
- PS:T's :words: are better

Leaving me with the conclusion that (a) PS:T combat is better than BG1 combat, but they both suck and (b) PS:T is by far a better game than BG1.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

mages are apparently pretty fun but you get that later in the game.

If by "later" you mean "pretty much right at the start", yes.

But that has nothing to do with why Wis and Int are the best stats:

- Wis gives a bonus to experience earned, and unlocks lots of dialogue options
- Int is vital for spellcasting (and playing a caster rules), and unlocks lots of dialogue options
- Cha unlocks lots of dialogue options.

And Planescape is all about the dialogue. The combat stats are your dump stats; none of the combat is that hard and you'll have two other party members to take up the slack before you even reach the first real combat area. The text is where the game shines, and having high Wis/Int/Cha gets you more of it.

So, you want as much Wis and Int as you can, then Cha, then the other three. The game is liberal enough with stat boosts and experience that it's not hard to have all three at 25 by the end.

Also, there's a few really cool ways you can talk the final boss to death.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

macnbc posted:

Journeyman Project 2 says no. :colbert:

:argh: Journeyman Project!

I played JP3 ages ago. Now I don't want to play JP2 until I've had a chance to play JP1, but the first one is impossible to find and I'm starting to doubt that the remake, Pegasus Prime, ever even existed.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bat Ham posted:

Pegasus Prime was Mac only, if that makes a difference. It also just finished being LP'd over here. Haven't read through the whole thread but it'd probably be a good place to look for it.

Being Mac only didn't stop me from playing Pathways into Darkness or Iron Helix. :colbert: Although that loving robot prevented me from ever finishing Iron Helix.

I'll check out the LP; worst case, I can always watch that, then get Buried in Time from GOG.

EDIT: Or I guess I could play JP1 Turbo, I've just wanted to play Pegasus Prime since I heard about it.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 29, 2010

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Planescape: Torment that much? Sure, it's wonderful, weird, and has enough text to fill several novels, but I just can't get into it. Too much text and not enough combat (yes, I know PS:T is not about the combat), I guess. The main reason why I like to play RPGs is to watch my guys evolve from puny weaklings into unstoppable badasses, the story is just an added bonus. If I wanted to do some heavy reading, I'd go read a book.

The reasons you dislike it are the same reasons most people like it, I suspect - certainly the same reasons I personally like it. If I want to build a party of unstoppable asskickers, there's no shortage of games that will let me do that (hell, including Torment - the final boss lasted two turns against my party when I decided to do it combat-style). Games with a unique and well-written story are much rarer, and personally, I like that more than I like watching the numbers on the stats screen gradually tick upwards.

And a lot of the stuff PS:T pulls either wouldn't work as well, or wouldn't work outright, in book form.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Follow this guide, pretty sure either the widescreen patch, UI patch, or unofficial giant patch fixes this.

Failing that, go into the options and change "sprite mirroring" from software to hardware or vice versa.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

The problem is with so little combat (and what little of what there is being so subpar) there isn't a whole lot of point to character progression. What good is gaining levels and cool new abilities/equipment when for the most part there's not that much of an opportunity to use it? It defeats a lot of the purpose and drags the game down IMO.

Only if you think the purpose of an RPG is by definition using your cool abilities and equipment to crush anything that gets in your way. Going by that, PS:T is either not an RPG, or a really lovely one.

Personally, however, I think that the essence of an RPG is, you know, the roleplaying aspect; crafting a unique character and making decisions that have far-reaching consequences and alter the outcome of the story. And when it comes to that, PS:T kicks the poo poo out of the competition.

IMO, if you're just in it to gear up and kill stuff, why even bother with RPGs in the first place when you could be playing Diablo? After all, a game that focuses on combat to the exclusion of all else is probably going to do it better than one that waters it down with dialogue and branching plotlines and nonviolent solutions to problems.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Same here. Solving problems with your silver tongue and HUGE, THROBBING BRAINMEATS is the best part of the game. Combat is for scrubs who can't talk their enemies to death. :smug:

Then I hit the first stretch of game where combat is mandatory, two maps where the only puzzle is "a wild monster appears!" and the only solution to the puzzle is > HIT ENEMY WITH WEAPON. :(

I got through that in the end, though, and it was so worth it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

They've been sending out messages that are multipart-mime with only one part, which is HTML (:psyduck:) which makes them look a lot like spam. Make sure your spam filter isn't catching them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ You can also start the game, then alt-tab out of the main menu, task manager, right click, set affinity, CPU 0 only.

Also, DK2 is easy to get running but DK1 is the one that's actually fun to play, so this doesn't really help. :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Now now. Every Dungeon Keeper is wonderful in its own way. There's no reason to pick on DK2. It's a great game, too.

Ok, not going to get into a "my opinion is right" argument here. :)

But speaking solely for myself...I hated DK2. My favorite part of DK1, even more than crushing my enemies, was laying out my dungeon; carefully setting up rooms and layering them with defences that could withstand any assault by the heroes. Taking out the opposing keepers was just a side business, and I'm kind of sad that the game focused on that so heavily.

In DK2, this is just...gone. Undiggable stone is used so heavily that you have no freedom in designing the dungeon; you're just finalizing a blueprint laid down by the level designer. Either that, or it's "solve a gimmick level with limited resources" like the DK1 bonus levels, except unlike the DK1 bonus levels, not skippable.

For all that it says Dungeon Keeper on the tin, I found myself doing very little dungeon keeping. :( And since that's what I came for...it may be a good game in its own right, but a disappointment like that is hard to get past, especially since there aren't any Dungeon Keeper clones out there I can crack out to scratch that itch instead - just DK1.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Evil Genius is a fun but fairly flawed DK clone. I just wish it had more than two "levels". You can tell that there were some ex bullfrog guys who worked on that game.

^^ This. I love the concept but the game as implemented just doesn't do it for me.

quote:

Another great game made by ex bullfrog employees: Startopia. It's probably closer to Theme Hospital than Dungeon Keeper, though.

Two great games that are unfortunately among the last remnants of a dead genre.

I've never played either; should I?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Really? Fill me in bro. Vista 32bit, can't work it. Great to have DK1 back though.

The campaign for DK2 was a bit poo poo but I really liked the My Pet Dungeon mode.

Zenith Nadir posted:

Also the trick to getting Dungeon Keeper 2 working on modern OSes is to turn off hardware acceleration and go software only, it ain't pretty but it works

That's pretty much all I had to do on Win7 x64.

I never tried the My Pet Dungeon mode, is it more DK1-style build dungeon, crush heroes gameplay? If so I may have to reinstall DK2.

sethsez posted:

To the people asking about Interstate '76 working on modern systems, it's kind of a mess. You're going to get inverted colors, weird glitches, muddy textures (this was built for Glide, D3D mode is awful, and a Glide wrapper has its own set of issues), crashes, etc. If you can get it working nicely then it's a loving blast, and it IS possible to get working correctly, but you're going to work for it.

:smith: Is this the GOG version you're talking about? And if so, is there any reason for me to get the GOG version given that I still have my original discs?

quote:

Jagged Alliance 2

I really enjoyed X-COM and Silent Storm. Should I get JA2?

quote:

The Incredible Machine

:woop: Still have my TIM1 disks, but I have no idea where TIM3's gotten to and I never had TIM2. Definitely grabbing this one.

quote:

HoMM3

Always and forever HoMM3. At least until Shadow Magic comes out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sethsez posted:

It'll work just fine out of the box, but if you want anything more than software rendering at a lovely resolution you'll have to do some tweaking. It's not like trying to get Ultima VII up and running or anything, but it's definitely a bigger pain than most of the stuff of GoG.

lovely software rendering is fine, that's how I played it back in the day. :)

Looks like my shopping list today is JA2, TIM, I'76 and Duke3d.

Boondock Saint posted:

EDIT: Ok I'll listen and just get TA and Decent. AoW is probably getting released next week anyways. Thanks guys!

This is a solid plan.

When playing Descent, don't forget to use D2X-XL - it's an upgraded, cross-platform version of the Descent 2 engine with support for Descent 1 as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I'd give Myst ME a pass, actually - the "Masterpiece Edition" has higher color depth in the backgrounds (not that you can tell, in practice) but they had to gut the music to fit it all in.

You're better off with RealMyst if your machine can handle it - Steam has it for $5.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Got Interstate '76 working! Took some fiddling but it was well worth it, the game kicks just as much rear end as I remembered.

NEVER GET OUT OF THE CAR

doctorfrog posted:

Well, GOG has RealMyst for $6.

Oh, sweet. I missed that somehow.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ If that doesn't work, killing explorer.exe while the game is running does, at least for I'76 and Worms Armageddon.

Dropping in that dll would certainly be more convenient, though, I'll give it a shot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Essobie posted:

Yeah, I picked it up for 3 bucks just to see... drat that game is a mess. Even if I got it to work right the GUI for it is even worse than I remember. I know it is old but UGGGGGH.

:confused: What's wrong with the UI? It's a standard mouse-driven interface like most games. You click things and stuff happens.

guppy posted:

I still can't get Interstate '76 to work properly. I was able to get rid of the messed-up colors, but the display stutter is making it unplayable. :(

Well, if it helps, here's what I did:
- set i76.exe to win95 compatibility mode, processor affinity 0x01
- get cpugrabber and set that to processor affinity 0x01
- kill explorer.exe
- start i76 (in software mode), turn all details up to maximum
- repeatedly start the tutorial, alt-tabbing between i76 and cpugrabber, adjusting the grab level until the game is smooth but the wobbly wheels go away (for me, this is 80%)

Now that the setup is done, it's easy to enough to play: kill explorer, start cpugrabber, start i76. Runs like a dream, albeit a 1024x768 dream with lovely shadows.

And god drat, as much as I like this game, I'd forgotten how frustrating some of the missions could be. Score on this mission so far:
- blown up by cops: once
- Skeeter blown up by cops: three times
- rolled the car and exploded when my roof-mounted weapons were crushed: twice
- fell into a bug in the terrain and imploded: once

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It works for me - make sure you aren't using some sort of download manager or otherwise opening multiple connections, the link it generates each time you visit that page only works once.

If it still doesn't work, I have the stuff on dropbox:

Official 1.0.7.4 patch
Unofficial patch 2009-12-25
Highres patch

The GOG version probably already has the 1.0.7.4 patch installed.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That's what voice acting is for. So how do I mod this game for multiplayer?

Most of Torment's dialogue is not voiced, and if it were the game would have shipped on 40 CDs rather than 4.

My recommendation is to wait for Icewind Dale to come out, and in the meantime play Diablo or Din's Curse or NWN or something else that's long on combat and short on conversation. If you're just in it for the violence PST would be a terrible disappointment to you even if it did have multiplayer, in much the same way Team Fortress would be a let-down for someone looking for an intricate character-driven storyline.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Speaking of, while Interstate 76 runs fine for me, I wonder if its running at a scaled down setting:

- sprite hands
- wobbly wheels

Is my memory applying a gloss coat, or am I in some kind of retarded compatibility mode?

The former is a symptom of running in software mode; the latter is a symptom of running on a machine that's too fast. There are two options: use D3D or Glide and enable some sort of framerate limit (either in your driver or a seperate program) to cap it at 30fps, or run it in software mode and use a program like CPUGrabber to do the same.

If you can get D3D or Glide working, go for it, it's a better game. If you can't - I couldn't with either the Glide wrapper it ships with or the one that comes with the community launcher - start it up in software, play around with the cpugrabber settings and repeatedly launch the tutorial until the wobbly wheels in the opening cutscene go away.

If you are using software, :siren: it is vital that you set I'76 and cpugrabber to run on the same CPU :siren: using the task manager or imagecfg!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Given that it's a Black Isle game, I'd say IWD's predecessor is more properly PS:T than Baldur's Gate. The games are also pretty much mirror images of each other; PS:T is mostly dialogue with some combat, and IWD is mostly combat with some dialogue.

I've never played IWD because I consider D&D to be the antithesis of fun, but I can still appreciate it from a distance, and CapitanGarlic's LP of IWD2 was a blast.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It doesn't dick you over that much if you're prepared for the idea that sometimes the best option is just to RUN AWAY. Plus missile weapons.

That doesn't help when the random encounter consists entirely of archers and mages who paste your entire party on the first round of combat. :argh:

I never finished BG1, largely because every attempt at doing so ended with a different, but no less aggravating or lethal, heaping plate of bullshit.

The constant CD-swapping didn't help either.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I only play multiplayer TA in LAN games with people who are as bad at it as I am. :ssh:

The campaign is really easy, but this has more to do with the AI being head-trauma retarded and completely incapable of dealing with a competent offence or defence (which is not to say that blasting your way through the incompetently led AI armies isn't fun).

The one time I tried playing the campaign with a third party AI enabled - and not even one of the cheating ones, just one that had better tactics and knew how to actually build useful poo poo - I got reamed. :gibs: I love RTS games but I'm not actually all that good at them.

As far as compatibility goes, I've tried TA on (over the years) 98, ME, 2k, XP, Vista 32-bit, 7 64-bit, 2k and XP inside a VM, and god knows how many versions of wine, and both TA and TAM (the mod manager) worked flawlessly in all of them. The most trouble I've had is that in some versions of windows I needed to run it in windowed mode (totala.exe -w), but if you set the windowed resolution to be the same as your screen resolution you can't even tell the difference because it drops the window decorations.

Kind of irritating that a game released in 1997 has better widescreen support than a lot of games released today, though. If you have TAM installed you can even tell it to give you larger build pages at higher resolutions.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress, I already have TA and TACC, why am I considering essentially buying TABT for $4

What is this site doing to me

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Looks like today I'm buying Blood and both I-War games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There have been attempts at building a new Blood engine from scratch, but none of them are really playable yet as far as I know.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, if you don't already have TA, we're talking $4 for Total Annihilation, Core Contingency (the expansion, adds two more campaigns, lots of new units and maps and random cool poo poo like underwater bases) and Battle Tactics (just a map pack, but a big one). It would be an incredible deal at five times the price.

When you do get it, don't forget to install TA Mutation - it's a combination mod manager, conflict resolver and high res UI patch. Even if you don't plan to install any mods, it's worth installing for the build menu improvements at high resolutions and some of the mutators (Manouverable Boats and Enhanced Wind Generators in particular).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Off the top of my head (and with the caveat that I haven't played all of these), I can think of the following mostly-linear story-driven space sims: both I-War games, both Freespace games, all five mainline Wing Commander games, Tachyon: the Fringe, Starlancer, Starshatter, and Dark Horizon.

Falling somewhere in the middle are Privateer 1 and 2.

And then on the mostly-sandbox-little-plot side of things, we have, um, the three X games and Elite.

There's actually been a fair amount of story-driven space sims since Freespace. They just don't see a lot of publicity.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Gasmask posted:

Also what is pilot assist? I know what autopilot is obviously, but clicking the right stick will turn pilot assist on and off and I'm not sure what it's doing.

Pilot assist - if it means the same thing here as in IW1 - tries to make your ship move in the same direction it's pointing at the speed you specified. If you're going too slow or too fast, it'll use the main thrusters/retros to fix that, and if you turn the ship, it'll use the laterals and main drive to change your velocity to match your new heading.

If you turn it off, you're in full newtonian mode - turning the ship won't affect your velocity at all. This is harder to control but lets you do things like flip end for end and fire at pursuers without slowing down.

This is all based on IW1; you might want to check the IW2 manual to see if they changed any of this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Buff Butler posted:

1. The combat is absolutely the worst I have ever played in a CRPG, and my experience dates back to like the original Wizardry.

Personally, I enjoy Arcanum's combat in turn-based mode more than I enjoy the combat in any Infinity Engine game.

Granted, this is not so much praise of Arcanum's combat system (because it's pretty bad) as it is a scathing indictment of IE.

quote:

2. Tech skills are terrible. Go magical; the harm spell is the only combat power you need.

This is an outright lie, though, except for the bit about Harm. Yeah, if you're into minmaxing you can play a mage and steamroll the entire game. But the game doesn't need steamrolling; it's not particularly hard as a mechanist, either, and personally I love having a small army of steam-powered death machines following me everywhere I go, ball lightning gun in one hand and acid grenades in the other.

And as Ansob pointed out, you can install Krupp's balance mod and things even out even more.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I wouldn't suggest that to start with, dying isn't a game over and sometimes you learn things that way you wouldn't otherwise.

That said, you generally won't missing out on anything by cheating through the mostly-combat areas like the Weeping Stone Catacombs or Carceri (as opposed to mostly-dialog-areas-which-nonetheless-contain-some-combat like the Hive).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ArchWizard posted:

My TNO's crowning achievement was soloing the final boss by repeatedly punching him in the dick until he died.

As entertaining as that is, I have to say I prefer unloading MECHANUS CANOOOOON on him until he evaporates, or better yet, talking him into oblivion.

Someday I need to see if I can take the comedy combat option and off him in one round with a full party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GOG.com posted:

Empire Earth and motherfucking Ground Control for $4 each

:argh: Dammit GOG, why don't you just put a vacuum cleaner in my wallet? You know I can't say no to Ground Control!

I finally get to own a proper copy of GC: Dark Conspiracy :3: