Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Tarkhan posted:

One thing I like about GOG is they typically provide all patches already installed. (no fan patches - but theres usually a link to em on their forums) They also pre-configure Dosbox where needed, so you dont have to dick with it, which is nice.

For the most part you're right, but Fallout 2 was a nightmare for me; I spent an entire evening trying to patch it so the colours worked properly and the cinematics still don't work right even now. I think Interplay snagged some modder's old version of a patch and bundled it with the game and it caused all sorts of annoying compatability issues (not to mention one or two ethics issues, the guy wasn't credited).

I am totally pumped for Outcast by the way, and if Blood gets added at some point I will just, I, take me now gog.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

The perceived value of Outcast means that I'll get hold of that Another World remake I'd been putting off buying when the site gets its legs back. Way to go, Good Game

I know I should probably wait until evening but I just can't help :f5:

Entorwellian posted:

Games to be released soon:

One whole unit of Blood
Master of Magic

I wish I could actually see the site to find out how true this is, I'll buy Blood in a heartbeat if it's presented similarly to Redneck Rampage's rerelease.

edit: it's official!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/one_unit_whole_blood thank you, The Kins

sharts fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 20, 2010

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

I cannot believe how thrilled I, a grown-rear end man, am over a bunch of old fuckin' games. It is as though Christmas has come again, only I have to pay for it and don't mind. I am gonna buy the poo poo out of these games on Thursday.

Master of Orion looks good too, I'm not huge on 4X games (mostly due to underexposure) but I might just toss that on the pile besides. Is Master of Magic related or is it something different?

Healbot posted:

Holy poo poo, Blood without the hassle of making it work on systems XP and up? And 6 bucks.

Release day can't come soon enough.

I had the naughty version previously (no longer) sanctioned in the 2.5D thread, it ran pretty nicely through DOSBox on Windows 7, but I only played the first few levels because the display mode it worked at was just niggly enough to spoil it. I guess it's time to trash it (and my copy of Outcast, too; I've no doubt GOG got it running much better than I ever managed)

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Not at all? Blood's an FPS based on Duke Nukem 3D's Build engine. V. violent and sadistic.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

And I know that I can buy X-COM UFO Defense on Steam for cheapsies right now, but what I really want is to see it on my GOG shelf. The holy trinity of turn-based gamery: MoO, Jagged Alliance 2, and X-COM. Wanna throw them all on a single DVD and make a custom DVD case cover for 'em.

This is a nice reversal of the usual Steam list complaints.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

One day, man. I'm waiting for Dungeon Keeper 2, but for both our dreams to be realised they'll need to get EA on board. Le sigh :sigh:

vvv Huh, could've sworn it was. Who is it, then. Interplay? Well why isn't that motherbitch out yet then, I've never played it >:O

edit 2: did my research, it's an AD&D related game which is why it was never released before, Atari own the rights to D&D-based RPGs so maybe it can happen now Atari is on board?

sharts fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 21, 2010

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Welp, Blood's out, you guys know what to do.

Also I just tried to use the PCG1 Painkiller promo code in the OP and I don't think it's valid anymore? Poo.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Yes, it's the same DOSBox package as GOG's Redneck Rampage package; the main game and config files come with their own special copies of DOSBox. It runs fine for me at 800x600 with CD music and FMV cutscenes on Windows 7 64-bit. If it runs fine on that it should have no problem with Vista

What I am trying to say is that it is awesome and fully tricked out, you should buy it, don't think, just buy

ps. A heads-up for anyone who has the same problem I had with RR: You may have to hunt around a little for the config file if you want to completely remap the key layout, there's some things that can't be remapped straight through the game's options menu. It'll be under the Start menu's GOG.com folder.

sharts fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 22, 2010

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

^^^ The CD music worked for me right out of the box, although that box included throwing myself into the setup to map WASD controls. You did remember to look in the setup file, yes? If not you might want to screw around with the sound setup > choose music card. If you did, well, I am sorry I cannot help

Charles Martel posted:

Yes I do. Got home a few hours ago from vacation and bought it without a second thought. I'll fix that Painkiller code too. That was from a while back, but I didn't think to see if it expired. Oh well, it's worth the extra dollar.

Yeah, I bought it anyway, because, well, what's a dollar worth these days...

edit: oh yeah, I bought Outcast too. I've been cheerfully giving myself tension headaches trying to get it to stretch out to the entire screen but no dice so far, although I did manage to get it running on a resolution visible to the naked eye. I guess I can live with the letterbox but I'd be happy to trade 1999-quality sharpness for screen-filling pixelation. It may be time to stop trying. It's good to know when to quit sometimes. Oh well

sharts fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 22, 2010

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Commissar Canuck posted:

I am thinking of getting Gothic 2 Gold, but I've heard the Night of the Raven expansion ramps up the difficulty on an already tough game. I vaguely remember hearing about some mod or tweak or something make the game a little less brutal. Anyone know what I am talking about?

You mean this? I bought Gothic 2 when it was on offer a couple weeks ago and was killed by the first goblin I encountered, searched for and installed that program and it's been plain sailing since (though I have died several times, but that's life). It's a slider that changes the amount of experience you get and a bunch of other stuff. You can change it to whatever's right for you; I put everything somewhere between the "Easy" and "NotR Default" slider positions.

You should definitely get it if you like fantasy RPG's, what I've played of it (only the first hour or so, but I killed some bandits, worked on a farm and pissed off a pirate before I got to the town) is really immersive. The combat kind of blows even with the patch though, near as I can tell there's no auto-aim so you might end up stabbing an ally during a battle by accident.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

NiknudStunod posted:

Does anyone know if they are releasing MoM at midnight or tomorrow during the day?

It'll probably be added midday European time.

edit: whoops, beaten, I think I'm right though because that's when Outcast and Blood were added

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Congratulations Tecman, your Blood launcher made it to the GOG frontpage editorial! :toot:

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

What in the gently caress?!

Thank god I kept full backups of my install programs!

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Well, if this is true I'm sticking with them, but I'm also going to be writing one or two VERY irate emails in the near future to let them know this poo poo's Not Okay.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

I'm just angry because I care :(

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Slammed that one into my cart SO fast. Bring on System Shock 2 GOG, it's only a matter of time now. You can do it little gog

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

I installed that widescreen mod and it works on the main game, but all cinemas and menu screens run in a tiny display in the top-left quarter of the screen, presumably because they're forced to the original size now. Any way to circumvent that or should I just reinstall and keep the screen stretched (it doesn't look bad that way anyway, just not as sharp)?

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

I did NOT! Thanks :doh:

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Ansob. posted:

I'm not 100% sure if the UI mod of tweakpacks from my link will work with GOG's PS:T so trip report please.

Seems to be fine after about half an hour's play, although I think my computer's having a little trouble coping with the extra display power required since I get cracks and pops in the music occasionally. Otherwise there is no problem.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

System Shock 2 and the Thief games aren't difficult to get working on multiple core systems with the help of this program: http://www.robpol86.com/index.php/ImageCFG . The engine those games use won't play nice with multiple cores (random crashes up the wazoo), so ImageCFG can be used to force the program's affinity to one core only. It wouldn't be too difficult for GOG to get them working properly with the same sort of trick. There's widescreen patches out there for the games, too!

Also the trick to getting Dungeon Keeper 2 working on modern OSes is to turn off hardware acceleration and go software only, it ain't pretty but it works :ssh:

Also for god's sake GOG release the other two AoW games already, the ones I actually intend to buy >:|

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ You can also start the game, then alt-tab out of the main menu, task manager, right click, set affinity, CPU 0 only.

Also, DK2 is easy to get running but DK1 is the one that's actually fun to play, so this doesn't really help. :(

That's as maybe, but you have to do that every time you start the game. ImageCFG takes care of the program itself so it only runs on one core, every time.

Also I forgot about the install programs for the games, you have to run them with a certain command or they go "UGH, I can't POSSIBLY run on an NT-based Windows, CTD". Anyone brave enough to attempt this, run setup.exe with the command line "-lgntforce". The rest is relatively plain sailing.

(Yeah I know nobody asked for this information. Wanna make something of it. I'll fight you)

I never played DK1 so I couldn't possibly comment on that!

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Don't be silly, they'll release something tomorrow. On Wednesday. The day they normally schedule new releases.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

I'm curious what the request list would look like if they ever did sign LucasArts and release all those SCUMM games, since nearly every game that's not System Shock on there is a P&C adventure. Who knows what favourites lurk just below the threshold?

Also, I wonder how likely it would be for GOG to get LucasArts on board. Partying in the streets would ensue if they did just for a more stable version of Grim Fandango, I'm sure

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

senae posted:

So I just got Dungeon Keeper, and for some reason it's only using about 2 thirds of the screen in fullscreen mode. The bottom part of the screen is a black bar. Is that happening to anyone else?

Look in the GOG.com Start Menu folder, find the contained Dungeon Keeper folder and select "Graphics mode setup". Select advanced settings and tick "keep aspect ratio". I had the same problem and this fixed it for me.

So stoked about Dungeon Keeper on GOG, oh man oh man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Speaking of GOG and Kickstarters, "Humans Must Answer" just released and the KS backer keys are through! I've played the first few levels already and it's fun (fairly fast as horizontal space shooters go, no bad thing), though I apparently need to collect eggs from the earlier levels to continue further :argh:

Also, apparently in the distant future there are flying cars and billboard ads for Half-Life 3 (coming soon!):