Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I don't know, I liked the combat in Torment, though I'm apparently the only one. It plays a lot like Baldur's Gate, which I wasn't that good at. In Torment you get a lot of weird toys and neat spells. I don't think it was intended to be punishing the way BG was, there were only a couple boss battles I had trouble with. Combat was a diversion from the story parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Unfortunately I have little to say about Battle Isle (I tried my uncle's copy way back when but found it really involved and difficult - admittedly I am not a strategy game kind of guy), but I just noticed that for some reason it includes the game Incubation, which I do remember playing. It was a neat squad-based tactical turn-based game that consisted of puzzle-like levels that play out like tightly designed X-Com combat missions. It was really satisfying when you set things up perfectly and roasted/wrecked the aliens that jump out at you. The difficulty ramped up towards the end but it was pretty neat.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

You can also play an Ultima 6 remake using Dungeon Siege.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Mug posted:

My game Black Annex has been in the top 15 "Wishlist" games since PAXAus. GOGcom just emailed me because they noticed. I guess they actually pay attention. That's loving awesome.

This is awesome! I bet GOG would be a good fit.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

One nice thing about Defender's Quest is that the difficulty is customizable - you can remove the penalties for losing a mission or just award yourself more XP for missions you do win.

It also has in-game achievements, so if that's something you like about Steam, you can get them here.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Though you still get the better discount if you own part of the pack, at least.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I was actually surprised the style didn't catch on. It played a lot like an adventure game, with custom graphics and puzzles and stuff, but still had RPG trappings and that super-clean isometric viewpoint that I always found so endearing.

It had a prototype in the form of The Summoning, which was exhaustingly tedious, I thought. Much less custom art, more generic enemies, and the story was a really slow burn. Still a neat style.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Prenton posted:

I couldn't stand Tiny & Big. The platforming-while-avoiding-rocks-getting-thrown-at-you bits were horrible.

They were, but I really liked the soundtrack and ability to slice things in half with lasers.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

GOG user reviews remain, as always, hilarious.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, I installed Hammerwatch on my office PC - it's not really playable, but the new expansion IS included if anyone was interested.

Do you play this single-player? I like the style but hardly play multi games much, and the balance seemed way off when I played solo. I struggled to get anywhere.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The GOG forum has folks wondering if they'll get it, so I'd guess no. That kinda sucks.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I've felt the same way about recent Steam sales. Either the sales aren't as good, the novelty has worn off, or I've finally realized that I'm old enough to be able to afford all the games I want anyway without sales but don't have the time to play them.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Zeether posted:

Zac McCracken has been apparently confirmed to be the FM Towns version.

That's awesome, I've never gotten to play that version.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

double nine posted:

Is there a list of compatible games out somewhere?

It changes pretty frequently, and they don't talk about how it's changing. I have ~80 games and they're all available for installation.

I'd imagine they have a lot of features to add before they start testing it as beta-complete. There isn't a lot beyond install/play at the moment.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Exclusivity agreements seem to be the only way GOG gets traction with older games these days, since they can be just as easily thrown up on Steam, the twenty-times-as-big competitor. Haven't they also done some good lately, like with fair regional pricing?

What games have people bought that simply didn't work?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Just to be different, here is a code for STALKER: Cle*r Sky, which is really good, there are only two Stalker games that are better.

HTADE4A83*E864

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Yeah, I played on Steam with the Complete pack (which I recommend) and really liked how it played. Sadly I hit a crash bug in Limansk that I couldn't get around, despite desperately trying for days to avoid it and not having any major issues up to that point. Hopefully Singh Long will have better luck.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

saucerman posted:

There is this mod/tool that looks helpful:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Wow, thanks. I might actually be able to tolerate Pool of Radiance again.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Testekill posted:

I assumed those were the Heroes of the Lance trilogy since they carry over a shitload of the characters from the books.

They were side-scrollers, the Krynn games were basically Gold Box games set in Krynn with your own characters. I was assuming this is what the GOG rep meant since they were asked about Gold Box games.

Wasn't there a Greyhawk PC game?

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 25, 2015

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I was indeed, good guess.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Neat bit about GOG's operations at Rock, Paper, Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/16/how-gog-com-save-and-restore-classic-videogames/

Also, Ultima 4 was released 30 years ago today.

The next three people to tell a story about one of the first vidya games they played get an Indie Piņata. PM me your email address.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Can I look up your email that way? I figured it was hidden. Just post it in the thread if you'd rather.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Excellent.

doctorfrog posted:

Combat. As a scavenger of garage sales as a kid for most of my video games, it was unavoidable, and unplayable unless you had a second player.

It was pretty cool, though. I remember you got to choose the board you played on, that blew my tiny child's mind.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Just a friendly reminder that one of the 'cybernetic modifications' you can get in System Shock 1 is basically a pair of roller skates.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Isn't it more than likely that Night Dive has distribution rights only? I would expect that EA still has brand rights since they're the ones who bought Origin.

Not that an EA Kickstarted game is impossible, but that poo poo gets complicated.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

That was two months ago! But I am happy to be wrong.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

quote:

Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/25/9801434/system-shock-remake-first-look-art

:stare:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Project Zomboid still isn't out?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Kamrat posted:

Wow, how long has it been? I remember hearing about this game years ago thinking that I'll wait until it's finished, then I forgot it ever existed.

Me too, until I saw it on Steam last year. They had their offices burgled and hard drives catch on fire but by God they'll finish this game even if everyone is sick of zombies by the time it comes out.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

It's the same as Steam; copy folder, uninstall, then choose 'import folder' under Manage.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

4 and 5 are functionally very similar, I would certainly try 4 and progress if you like it. The Worlds of Ultima games made improvements over the original engine from 6 (get used to keyboard shortcuts for your actions). I think they are all products of their time but have a lot of neat details and ideas.

3 is honestly pretty similar to 4 and 5, except for party construction, but 2 is just bizarre. 1 got a remake and I found it pretty playable, weirdly.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

augustus gluten posted:

Let me also reiterate. 5 is really hard. Also having NPCs with schedules is OK, but when all the sprites look alike and may be just about anywhere, it makes things tough.

I just don't think it's that dissimilar from 4.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I will concede that the sandalwood box was a total dick move.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I saw it mentioned on RPS, it does look neat. Though I thought the other races came to humanity for help in the big war, we didn't do much exploring on our own. Whatever, as long as it's fun. Stardock has kind of an iffy record, don't they?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

al-azad posted:

Man, what a deal for the Toys for Bob guys. They lose the name and keep the poo poo that matters. And even the name has pretty much been lost to time since the open source port is called The Ur-Quan Masters.

I guess, no one 'owns' the actual style of game so it's more a matter of a good developer making a game that hits the same notes as SC2. I don't think (or I'd like to believe) that IP is not actually that relevant. I feel a little surprised no indie developer has followed in those footsteps.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Video didn't feature the player constantly side-rolling everywhere, not sure it can be trusted.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I know GOG tries to run their sales before Steam does, but it almost feels like they're in a continuous sale mode for a month.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

RPG fans are so weird and I say that as one of them

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

You can buy the expansion pass, it includes both expansions. The GOTY includes some extra goodies, on top of the expansions, I think, but nothing to make it worth buying if you already own the base game.

I thought they've said the GOTY version is no different other than being one big install file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I had it happen for a week or so while playing Witcher 3, but it fixed itself eventually. As far as I can tell it's working for all my games.

I thought I knew about all the old 3D tile-based games but hadn't heard of Ishar. Anybody have any experience with them? It sounds like the first game deducts party gold whenever you save the game which is an impressively dickish design element.