Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cityinthesea posted:

I think Gamersgate would be a good fit, to be honest.

I refuse to buy anything from GamersGate because they sell blatant bootleg Pac-Man and Tetris games.

So I hope it's not them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Megadyptes posted:

I know it's not much but Hexen II and Serious Sam II are available on Steam and GOG.

The Hexen II expansion he listed isn't on Steam and The Second Encounter isn't the same thing as Serious Sam 2, which admittedly tripped me up in the past.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ya'll are aware it's not the same, constantly-Youtube LPed Slender game, right?

quote:

From Mark Hadley, developer of Slender: The Eight Pages, original Slender Man creator Eric 'Victor Surge" Knudsen, the writers behind the Marble Hornets series, and the development team at Blue Isle Studios.

Sounds like it might even have some effort applied.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

anthonypants posted:

It's from the guy who made the same, constantly-Youtube LPed Slender game. It looks like it has the same premise as the same, constantly-Youtube LPed Slender game. But it's totally not that game, you say?

:rolleyes:

It's from the guy who made the same, constantly-Youtube LPed Mario game. It looks like it has the same premise as the same, constantly-Youtube LPed Mario game. But it's totally not that game, you say?

Even as someone who has only seen snippets of the original game, this one obviously has higher production values and seemingly an atmosphere a few steps above "it's dark and noise filter and there's a spooky thing behind me ohnoo". Everyone was posting as if it was literally the freeware game with an inexplicable price tag attached. I was just pointing out that it was its own thing and maybe, just maybe, it might stand on its own merits.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 9, 2013

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lord Lambeth posted:

All I know about Fez is Phil Fish is the biggest rear end in a top hat in independent game development.

I thought that was Jonathan Blow? :v: Seriously though, I hear this often but what's the full story behind it?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dud root posted:

Unfortunately you couldn't give command orders, like "Execute Alpha!" and then your teams bust through 3 different doors at once. You had to manually switch to each team member and issue a command, which lead to hilarious breaching where the first guy in gets shot to bits.

I think the expansion fixed this so you could give synched commands.

SWAT 4 was actually on Direct2Drive, which is how I got my hands on it, but when it got absorbed into Gamefly, bye bye SWAT 4. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Alternatively, say gently caress the scoring system and have everybody take revolvers to dispense Texas justice. :clint:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Objectively speaking, I don't think Myst has aged spectacularly well, but if you're specifically interested in it from the perspective of someone with the itch to scribble down clues in a notebook, methodically solving puzzles it certainly still holds that sort of appeal.

realMyst is pretty much the definitive version, unless you have a fascination for the old pre-rendered scenes running through HyperCard. realMyst also exclusively includes a short epilogue area that serves as a sequel hook for Riven. Which you should also buy. It's aged a bit better, and even if it didn't its sheer scope is still extraordinary.

I still wish Ubisoft would/could dig up the rights to Myst III. It was my favorite. :smith:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 11, 2013

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, that was my point. And with Presto long gone I figure that potentially adds to the complications.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
How much of a Metroidvania is it compared to the old school RPG stuff? I'm big on Metroid, not as big on sprawling crafting tables and stat blocks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

duckfarts posted:

Why Unepic is awesome.

Thanks for the recommendation! Having now played an hour or two, I definitely see the similarities to Symphony of the Night. It basically feels like SotN crossed with LaMulana/Maze of Galious (the latter of which is mentioned in the description for Hard mode, so fancy that) with maybe a slice of Diablo for good measure.

I can definitely see this devouring my free time for the next few weeks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's a handful of games still unavailable. It sucks. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anaxite posted:

What puzzles me the most about today's deals is that they sell Daikatana. And yet, I have this strange urge to try it out now...

To be honest, Daikatana isn't that bad. A lot of the anti-hype is because of how overblown the original marketing for the game was, only for it to turn out to be a confused mess.

That said, Daikatana also isn't that good, either. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The actual reason is from way, way, way, way back when URU was originally released. Ubisoft insisted on a single-player boxed version. Originally they wanted it to be a completely online casual/exploration/puzzle/story-based MMO. That required broadband internet. In 2003.

URU:ABM is a good bit out of date in all ways (engine, content, etc.) by now but it has the advantage of being a singular, unified game. Myst Online is a bit scattershot; it's being completely propped up by fan support, including servers and mods, AFAIK. Edit: Apparently there is still some official support, cool.

URU on the whole turned out to be a bit of a clusterfuck... All that said, there's no compelling reason to buy the GOG version if you can get Myst Online working, unless you hate socializing. The bundle is still really good though.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 21, 2013

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

How is Syberia by the way? Screenshots look great, I searched the past 5-6 pages in this thread and didn't see anybody talking about it.

The first is a really solid adventure game. I'd agree that it's style over substance to an extent, but in particular it has the feel of a good adventure novel.

The second, for lack of a better term, feels much more video game-y. There are more blatant puzzles-for-the-sake-of-puzzles and a few :psyduck: moments.

That said, 2 is a direct follow-up to the first, which has no real ending otherwise. I'd say it's worth playing through the full story if you can get both for cheap.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm going to take waking up to find the one game I had the slightest interest in on sale to be a sign that yes, I should buy Raiden Legacy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gobblecoque posted:

Isn't Galaxy its own application though? I don't see why it would require a website redesign.

Steam uses its website as part of its main interface. Presumably the same will be the case with Galaxy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

al-azad posted:

Exile and Revelation weren't developed by Cyan, they were done internally by Ubisoft. I don't know if they'll ever be available digitally because Cyan has the rights to Myst but Ubisoft probably retains Myst 3 and 4.

Presto Studios did Exile, which may or may not complicate things further.

macnbc posted:

Rand Miller at Cyan said that he believes it doable. It's just getting all the right people at the table together. So, it might take some Night Dive-level theatrics.

I'm really hopeful for it. I can take or leave 4, but Myst 3 is my absolute favorite in the series. Thankfully the last time I had an itch to play it, the original disc worked fine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Uru's all over the place, but that's not all that surprising given the experimental MMO roots of the whole thing (and the subsequent canceling, un-canceling, re-canceling, un-re-canceling it got). The lows can get pretty low (and I'd argue that, sadly, they get even lower in the Uru Live version), but the highs... Ahnonay :love:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For me, Riven is super impressive, but also a bit overwhelming. While there are a few moment-to-moment puzzles, the real focus is on the two massive, game-spanning ones and you really need to be on the ball to untangle them, especially the fire marble one. It's definitely a game I want to go back to and see how it holds up for me, though. (I did pick up the bundle alongside rMM, so I'm all set for it. Maybe I should dig up my discs for 3 and 4 so I can marathon the whole dang series.)

Exile is the peak for me just because it hits the right mix of everything. The FMV stuff is slightly more fleshed out compared to Riven, without being overbearing like in Revelations. The puzzles, while still arbitrary at times, do have some reason to be there. I also confess I just really love the finale sequences for each age; it's a nice little reward for making it through all of the puzzles and wraps everything up nicely. Also, Brad Dourif.

Revelations I barely remember, but I also only made it about an hour or two in with my dad before I gave up and he eventually continued on without me. Something about it felt off, and I recall getting stuck on a puzzle almost right out of the gate. I was also a bit irritated that yet another game was going to focus on the brothers. It cheapens the seeming finality of Atrus' actions in the original game to keep bringing them up, though I suppose you could argue that Exile did more or less the same thing.

End of Ages just kind of made me sad because it was made out of unused/unfinished/whatever Uru content and I would've liked to experience all of it in that game instead. It still manages to have its moments though, though they probably ultimately work better because they're not attached to an MMO server system...

I still carry a bit of a torch for Uru, but there's no doubt it's weighed down with problems. I agree that the story is the biggest failing, both in the hurdles of properly delivering it to players and in the writing itself. I don't think they had anywhere near enough tools to actually properly craft a live story, and ultimately, the writing was suffocatingly preachy regardless. It also kind of tarnished the whole appeal of unearthing the D'ni civilization when the plot was relentlessly focused on how much the D'ni sucked.

Edit: That's handy. My copy of Revelations (special edition, maybe?) comes with a DVD copy of Exile. :toot:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 23, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kibayasu posted:

While its not directly related to Lucasarts there was also that huge release of previously console only games (plus Tron 2.0) last year on Steam.

I thought pretty much all of those had PC ports already, just no digitally distributed versions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AbstractNapper posted:

And then they come up with the RealMyst Masterpiece Edition last year, where they basically remake (in some cases, while taking away a few stuff) RealMyst, with no additions whatsoever to improve or fix on what they for years have claimed was design forced by technology limitations. Oh wait, no, they added a flashlight(!) rendering stupid one of the main puzzles in Stoneship Age.

Max Wilco posted:

So they added a flashlight (which sounds like it's only useful for one point in the game), but they couldn't remove the maze from the Selenitic Age, which was tedious even if you knew which way to go, and near impossible if you didn't first play through the Mechanical Age and figure out the sound/direction correlation.

While I'm not sure how big the team was that worked on rMM was, I didn't think Cyan was really in a position to start radically changing what they had. I was under the impression they were down to pretty much a skeleton crew at this point, and are only ramping back up for Obduction. And honestly, going back and fixing 20 year old game design...at that point they're basically making a new game anyway, for all the changes they'd have to make to "fix" Myst.

What was removed from realMyst Masterpiece?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 2, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That well known entry in the Anno series, Icewind Dale. :downs:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ack, that's an unfortunate oversight. I own the Dawn of Discovery-branded version of Anno 1404, which GOG doesn't detect for the purposes of Connect.

Edit: Wait, an Interplay bundle where you don't have to buy everything to get the full discount? :eyepop: (Oh I see, 8 or more. Good enough!)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 26, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hey, they fixed the Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 problem on GOG Connect. :toot: (Make sure to double check that it's synced.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Canuckistan posted:

I want the D&D gold box bundle.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20161104_fall_sale_gog_rpg_bundle

Is there any reason to wait to see if it goes down further? Flash sales or whatnot?

There's no surprise flash sales or anything like that with GOG. What you see is what you get.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FalloutGod posted:

Well Saints Row 2 runs kind of lovely. I know it was free but it would of been fun to run through the game again.

Did you try installing Gentlemen of the Row and SR2 Powertools?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Renowned Explorers: International Society snuck onto GOG Connect.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ElGroucho posted:

My kid is loving that Pajama Sam pack. Beats the poo poo out of him watching Minecraft youtube crap

The Humongous Entertainment catalog represented a substantial part of my childhood so I'm always happy to hear those games are still getting played. :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's me, the one person who likes Enforcer.

...Though hardly enough to say everyone should go buy it right now!!! But if you can get past the clunky controls/camera it's an okay arcade-y third-person Unreal shooter with some fun guns and powerups.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maniac Mansion and Curse of Monkey Island!! :eyepop:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Who has Jack Orlando and/or Jack Keane on their wishlist?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As previously established, someone might gift you Jack Keane. :ohdear:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
$3.52 left to spend to get Rime for free, and somehow finding a game (or games) to buy to reach that is stumping me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Skwirl posted:

That's a hard price point to hit exactly, but if you can search by price and don't mind spending 1.47 extra there should be lots of stuff at 4.99. Probably less stuff at 3.99 but they should exist too.

It's less the price point and more finding something I actually want. I've already built up a pretty big stack of games and I'm trying to slow down on buying stuff I only theoretically want. Also this would be less of a problem if the handful of things on my wishlist would get a decent sale...

bowmore posted:

Enter the breach, FTL, Crypt of the necrodancer, any of the Stalker games, Papers Please

Already own all of those sans Crypt on Steam, and I'm not dying to play Crypt.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Too late, I finally narrowed it down and grabbed some more stuff. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

THE BAR posted:

HW2 came out better than HW1 remastered, I think. The weirdly weak corvettes and lack of strafing runs makes fighters and corvettes all but useless.

HW2 was always bad about those, so nothing lost there. Really, try and buy a group of fighters in original HW, watch them strafe, bob and weave in combat, then compare them to the anemic slugout they're capable of in remastered.

Is that still the case post-patch? I though they did a big cleanup to deal with HW1 remastered running on 2's engine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, Deus Ex has something similar happen with objects at certain settings.

So THAT'S why I speel my dreenk!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In other news, the shithead who runs GOG's Twitter account is at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also it sure is rad to have a full page ad hijack you if you try to go to the homepage.