Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that a new MechWarrior was announced, the games need to find their way to GoG.

Like now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Not to mention being fearful of a creature or area adds immersion. I remember when I first played G1 everyone in town kept urging I go to the mines. But I had peered down the road that led to the mine many times and it was dark and creepy and I saw creatures lurking around that I had not faced yet. So, I bit the bullet one day and loving sprinted down that road, refusing to even look left or right. Sure enough things were chasing me.

gently caress. Those. Dinosaurs.

Even the naked mole rats at level 1 whipped my rear end. I remember running long and hard to escape those raptor things and they chased you for miles. I remember jumping off a cliff to escape one (on my way to that beached ship or something) and almost 10 minutes later the monster was waiting for me around the corner. Turns out it walked around the cliff and its path finding led right next to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The greatest feeling in Gothic was being teleported into that castle and subsequently slaughtering everyone leading up to a massive fight with Raven inside the chapel (I was playing as a wizard so I don't know if this was for everyone). I was practically untouchable. I don't remember why story reason I had to kill everyone but it was the crowning achievement of the game.

Then I was sad to find out that rear end in a top hat Raven was retconned into the sequel. This is my only gripe with free form games. I WANT MY ENDING TO BE CANON, DAMMIT!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cain's face is also in Fallout 1's icon AFAIK. It's been a while.

Can't say I had the same "OMG WTF IS THIS poo poo??" reaction as most people. I just laughed and figured it was an easter egg right off the bat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Giants is pretty tough and some of the missions (especially the mid-game racing missions UGH) get repetitive fast. It's got a lot going for it but all the good stuff (action and cool weapons) are bogged down by the lovely stuff (repetitive base building, long and drawn out levels, RACING MISSIONS UGH).

The team did a much better job with Armed and Dangerous. Here's hoping that's up on GOG some time in the future. loving shark gun > *

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

What kind of games are they similar to? Wizardry? I never got too into M&M because of the cheap look of it, that and the 3DO brand.

The design approach to Might and Magic was basically "Let's take Wizardry, build a world around it outside the one dungeon and add more crap."

If you're familiar with M&M you can pick up Wizardry easily as they're based around the same principle of dungeon crawling, monster slaying, and grinding except M&M sprinkles story elements and puzzles (for example, the first game has a town ruled by a sucubus that drains the health of all male characters until you go through a dungeon to grab some artifact; or you could have an all female party and kill the bitch yourself).

There's also more monsters. A lot more. Like "you step foot out the inn 20 skeletons surround you" more monsters.

edit: most fans agree that World of Xeen (4 & 5) are the finest in the series. M&M 6 was the start of the push to full 3D containing outdated, muddy, ugly graphics and terrible, horrible art direction. The games are still fun (up until M&M 9 which is all kinds of bland) but if you walk away without wanting to scrub your eyes you're a better man than I.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 20, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OptimusShr posted:

GOG's next Hidden Gem of the Week has been announced. It's Shogo: Mobile armor division

This game is so terrible its good. The entire art team had to be made of 13 year old teenagers watching their first anime.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Seriously, $10 each for each individual HOMM game? Who the hell are they kidding? I was expecting $6 each when I first heard they were going to release them eventually and I still thought that was too much.

HoMM 1-4 is something I'd expect to see in a steam package for $15. Not 40 loving dollars.

GoG has a nice collection but they're horribly overpriced sometimes. At least M&M 6 is the best in the series.

edit: poo poo, yeah, M&M 1-6 for $10 is a pretty good deal. That's the type of pricing I can get behind.

Blame Ubisoft for that. Only the games they license to GOG are oddly priced like that. The Spellforce pack comes with both games plus the expansions for the price of one Heroes game and you get like 10x the gameplay.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fallom posted:

I beg to differ

Captain Claw grenade?

Speaking of Claw, I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on GOG. The game had (probably still has) a strong mod community and I think the DVD release contained the best fanmade levels for it.

YES! FIRESWORD!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Oh, and don't buy Kingpin. Not even for free. Pick something else.

Bah don't listen to this, Kingpin is a great underrated shooter. The first few hours are a little slow because the developers made the risky move of making the main character incredibly weak. You'll be doing a lot of sneaking and back stabbing until you make enough money to buy a gun that doesn't suck; after that you're running around torching people with flame throwers and poo poo.

Sacrifice is Shiny's greatest game IMO and I'm surprised the formula hasn't been copied in other titles (closest game I've played is the awesome Spellforce series but those are more RTS games than action games). Instead of micromanaging resources you summon monsters and toss spells around. The spell effects are really impressive and range from simple fireballs to summoning demons and raising volcanos out of the ground. The story is also pretty good with excellent writing (its hilarious listening to the gods bickering) and mother loving Tim Curry voicing Stratos.

From what I remember Messiah is a fun little platformer with good innovations (possessing people to get around) but unlike MDK series the level design is pretty lacking for a game that encourages using different people to get around.

I have most of Interplay's games but I'll probably end up getting Earthworm Jim and Redneck Rampage. The PC version of EWJ is supposedly the best version and I lost my cd of RR a long time ago ("My head hurts, my feet stink, and I don't love Jesus").

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mechanized Assault Exploration (M.A.X.) will likely be passed over by most players but I wholly recommend against it. Even now the game holds its own well mostly due to the distinct lack of turn based games even now. If you don't like taking turns you can switch it to real-time mode but blech that takes all the fun out of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Das Butterbrot posted:

He recommended against passing over the game I think. vOv

Yes, I recommend not ignoring it like most people likely will when they see 1-for-1 deals on Fallout, Sacrifice, and Descent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Anyone have advice on picking up Conquest of the New World versus Castles.

I think I'm going to grab Freespace 2, but I primarily play strat games which I plan on using for the free pick. I'm leaning Conquest of the New World, but would love to hear recommendations.

Conquests overall is a better game. Castles is decent but as a castle building "sim" you spend too much time watching your serfs build the keep block by block (literally).

You might also be interested in M.A.X. so be sure to take a look at that :D

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Holy poo poo, Redneck Rampage rivals Sam & Max as having the greatest soundtrack I've ever heard. As a kid I only had the DOS version but this is the cd version with all the original tracks included.

Fuckin' Liquored Up is such a great song to shoot hillbillies too. I'm not keen on the keyboard controls which don't appear to have any kind of config but I'll get used to them.

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone been able to run MM6 in windowed mode? Researching it online shows that the display must be set to 16 bit for the windowed toggle key (F4) to work, but I've tried it and no dice.

alt+enter doesn't seem to work either. I hope there's a patch/mod or something available because there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to play this windowed >:(

Reliving M&M 6 made me remember why I hated the mid-90s so much. I'm sure the horrifically ugly fmv's wowed me when I was younger but god drat art students do a better job than this mess. I'm surprised the actual sprites held up so well and the game looked phenomenal for the time. It's a shame once they went full 3D the same care in the graphics didn't carry over.

Walking 5 steps out of town to be ambushed by (literally) 12 mages and 10 goblins brings back so many memories.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RiffRaff1138 posted:

It does, just not in-game. You have to run Setup.exe to remap the controls.

Changed to WASD faster than the speed of light.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't run any of the M&M games in full screen and windowed mode is slow as heck plus M&M1 is running at like super speed (Windows Vista 64-bit edition). I've tried all the graphical settings and M&M6 is the only game that runs in full screen which, ironically, doesn't have a windowed option.

Anyone else having this problem?

thedaian posted:

Conquest is a pretty fun game. It's like a precursor to the Anno series, mixed with Colonization mixed with a pretty fun battle minigame. I don't know how it compares to Castles, but I think it's probably the better of the two. That said, I don't see Conquest on the list, but I could be missing something.

Hit show more

al-azad
May 28, 2009

404notfound posted:

I never played the Might and Magic games, but since I enjoy Ultima and the Elder Scrolls games, it looks like it might be worth my time. I know that with Ultima, at least, you can pretty much completely forget about the first three games; is anything like that the case with the Might and Magic games? In other words, which ones are the most worth playing, and does it matter if they're played out of order?

M&M 1 and 2 are part of the same continuity and the hardest to get into because of age. Three's the start of the Xeen trilogy which peaks with number 5 (4 and 5 are combined into a single game "world of xeen"). Swords of Xeen is a bonus add on originally bundled with the Xeen trilogy. M&M 6 is the most modern of the games and the easiest to get into but drops the turn-based battles in favor of real time which isn't my cup of tea. I can tolerate it in simple grid games like Eye of the Beholder and World of Xeen but you're literally fighting mobs of 30 guys at once in real time which makes fights a hectic mess of clicking on dashing sprites hoping you're attacking a previously weakened monster.

tl;dr version, skip M&M1 and 2. Go back to those once you're comfortable with the series or want to play through them for completion sakes. Since you like TES you'll be most comfortable with Mandate of Heaven. There's lots of crap to do, its in real time, and the world is pretty big.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 4, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ymgve posted:

I have no idea why people praise the Earthworm Jim games. From the 10 minutes I spent with the first game it seemed like a mediocre generic platformer. Imprecise jumping and enemies that are impossible to hit? Is this supposed to be fun?

At least it was only $3.

The PC version is worse than I remember it but the game itself for the time it came out was blew everything else out of the water in terms of graphics, humor, and level design (Bob the Goldfish = greatest boss fight ever). I recently played through every version of the drat game and the Sega CD one seems to be the highest quality but the DOS version is a sloppy genesis port much like the PC version of Aladdin. I noticed half the time it doesn't register my button presses even with a controller.

Enemies aren't difficult to hit with your gun but don't bother whipping them. The whip is mainly for platforming. If you run out of ammo your gun will quickly recharge up to 100 or so bullets automatically.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rediscovering my love of Might and Magic. Playing the first game. No volume. Windowed mode. iTunes running. Excel open for map construction.

Not enough time in the day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

M&M1 is truly archaic but strangely soothing. I'm basically bumping into every single wall because that's the only way to beat the game.

M&M2 at least has graphics and a visible map when you cast a spell/drink from the fountain of clairvoyance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Okay, this service is awesome. I just got like 10 games, debating on getting M&M collection and Heroes Collection.

Can you play the games online and poo poo? Multiplayer or is that not all updated? I was amazed I was playing Messiah without any issues at all, that game never ran properly and everything is running perfectly, even on Win7. This kicks the rear end out of dosbox, gametap and other services, no DRM is making me buy these to support the games.

I mean, everything is patched and working, you can switch them between desktop and laptop no problems, play them online, offline. Christ, every time I get "junk" money in paypal (THEY ACCEPT PAYPAL!) I'm buying games.

I haven't played anything from them in multiplayer but for some games GoG actually creates brand new servers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The last level in Painkiller is brilliant. It's a shame the final boss himself is pretty gay compared to the epic boss fight in the previous chapter.

Haven't gotten around to playing Overdose or the other expansion but I hear they lose the charm of the original. How you screw up "Here are monsters, now slaughter them" is beyond me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Heritage of Kings: The Settlers has just been released for $9.99.

Heh, Direct2Drive just had a sale on this game last week for $5. It also included an X-com package containing UFO Defense, Terror From the Deep, Apocalypse, Interceptor, and Enforcer for $5 but it's over now..

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: The longest journey for :10bux:

The best point and click adventure game IMO. Great story, real imaginative and original mix of parallel futuristic and fantasy world, and good writing (although some of the voice acting sounds goofy). It's a surprisingly long game, too. My only beef is the ending which is both predictable and feels totally anti-climactic. Haven't gotten around to playing Dreamfall but I hear mixed opinions from fans.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I finally played through Fallout and am starting Fallout 2 thanks to that 2-for-1 sale. This is the best way to buy older games. They go out of their way to make sure everything works and provide you with lots of extras while Steam seems to skate by with the bare minimum.

The talk about the Fallout license above got me thinking. When you buy an older game, do the guys that actually made it (and are now undoubtedly scattered all over the place) get a cut of the sale?

If not, do modern developers have contracts with sites like this in mind, so they can get the game equivalent of TV royalties down the road?

The rights to the games are owned by someone, most likely a publisher or majority shareholder. They get royalties for the products sold.

Signing on with Ubisoft a few months ago is their biggest victory so far. In the early interviews they said the toughest part of setting the site up was convincing publishers that DRM free games was a good idea. Hopefully with a big company supporting them we'll see some more big guys signing on. EA has the rights to a massive vault of classic games after assimilating every publisher from the 90s in their collective fat wad. To me, getting those guys onboard would be the ultimate victory.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chunk posted:

Are any of the games in this sale worth it?

Haegemonia is real time strategy game with some 4X elements that plays like an early version of Sins of a Solar Empire except there's less focus on base building and more on exploration and combat. Original War plays similar to Company of Heroes but it's a really difficult game that requires a lot of strategizing. I played it a few times when it was first released but there was a definite trial and error approach to the gameplay. Celtic Kings is pretty good and underrated IMO. It's like playing a mix of Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and Warcraft 3.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

hidden gem of the week: Spellforce platinum, now available for $7.99 instead of :10bux:

There's seriously 140+ hours between the original, the two expansion packs, and the sequel. This is the best deal on the site.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just noticed Ghostmaster is a Strategy First title. Don't pass this up! It's a strategy game where you control campy B-movie monsters and your goal is to slowly scare the denizens of a mansion without putting them into catatonic shock. Some people, like frat girls, are more afraid of your spider monster while a letterman jacket sporting jock won't bat an eyelash when chairs start floating around.

The game was released to mostly positive reviews praising the originality and amount of options for scaring the poo poo out of people. If you like games like Evil Genius you'll definitely like this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release today:

Realms of Arkania 1+2 for $6

And announced as coming soon: Realms of Arkania 3 for $6

BRB gotta change pants.

Realms of Arkania is one of the few old time RPGs that still hold a candle today. A lot of elements in the game, like catching a cold if you slept at night without a sleeping bag, were way ahead of their time. The games also feature extensive character creation. I recommend setting it to novice your first time because there's a lot of crap to manage and it can be pretty overwhelming at first.

As a side note, the recently released Drakensang takes place in the same Das Schwarz Auge (The Dark Eye) universe although RoA and Drakensang have little in common story wise.

Also, Ubisoft is releasing Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (some goofy looking puzzle game) on the DS next month. Don't be surprised if a new Might and Magic game shows up on GoG.

Edit: 500mb download size. Probably means RoA 2 is the cd talkie version which is awesome. The game had terrible voice acting you'd only expect in a European RPG which means hours of unintentionally funny dialog!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 24, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I'm interested in Realms of Arkania (I like games like this) but I was wondering how the tedium to fun level is. Also the length? I've played Drakensang which is based off of this (or the mechanics I think) so i'm just waiting on some more opinions before I give it a whirl.

The only tedious part is character creation but the developers were actually loving smart and tailored it so people who've never played an RPG could get into the game. Character creation can be "quick and dirty" where they generate a character from top to bottom and all you have to do is review the sheet and add them to your party. You can choose the "fast and detailed" method which assigns attribute points designed for a specific class you want (each class has a minimum required attribute and you have to look it up in the manual or memorize it otherwise) but you get to handle all the other aspects such as skill points and spells. There's the "easy but detailed" mode which suggests the best attributes for specific roles. Finally there's the straight up hardcore "roll it up" method where you generate a character, stat for stat, and masturbate over the number crunching goodness.

As for the game itself, it features everything you'd expect in a CRPG: save anywhere, an actual map, moderate difficulty without being frustratingly grating, an open world, a decent plot that at least keeps you interested in what's going on, and tons of monsters to kill. Battles are turn based and take place on an isometric grid. The interface in the first game (especially the inventory) is one of the few major flaws but it's not a big deal after a few hours of playing.

The best comparison I can make in terms of gameplay and depth is that it's like a first person Baldur's Gate with turn based battles. Drakensang is really, really streamlined compared to RoA but the game can either handle all the boring poo poo, give you some room to experiment but not totally screw you over, or let you control everything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

How is the character customization after character creation? Are there any options as far as things like "builds" go or is it just a matter of getting new items and finding new spells?

Comparisons to D&D would be pretty useful.

In novice mode, leveling up is automatic. The game handles your skill increases based on your characters role, they give you your magic upgrades, and automatically increase attack values. You can increase a positive attribute by 1 point and decrease a negative attribute by 2 points*

In advanced mode it's typical of D&D in that you're in charge of every single skill increase. You get 15-20 attempts to increase your skills where you roll against a target number and if you beat it your skill increases (like in D&D, skills are capped based on level so even if you fail 10 times in a row you have plenty of chances to increase your important skills). You can increase and adjust your attack and parry values (all weapons have attack and parry values but you can adjust how you want your character to fight in battle, defensive or offensive), and you get magic points if you're a spell caster to research spells. The game uses spell points instead of a Vancian magic system and all characters are assumed to know every spell they just have to spend points in it to "research" them.

*RoA has positive attributes and negative attributes. Positive attributes are stuff like strength and agility which help you perform well. Negative attributes are things like superstition (you're more susceptible to magic) and necrophobia (reduces effectiveness against undead monsters). Some classes actually require a high enough negative attributes like dwarves have to have 4 or less points in claustrophobia (because they're dwarves, duh) but have to have 7 or more points in avarice (because dwarves love gold).

You can decrease these as you level up but negative attributes come into play in combat and during random non-hostile encounters. It really adds flavor to the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spy posted:

Anyone mind giving a quick synapse of what spellforce is about and how it plays? Seen it before years ago, but never gave it a chance,

It's an RTS game with RPG elements. You have a hero who controls all aspects of building bases, gathering resources, and summoning other heroes to fight hordes of monsters. Your heroes have their own stats, inventory and special abilities and each level has its own quests and goals.

Each level itself is really, really long and often involves lots of battles of attrition because the AI is pretty aggressive + tons of exploration to level up your hero and find new equipment. I guess the best comparison is a harder Warcraft III with larger levels and exploration.

Edit: I should also mention the games are very, very long. The tutorial level is like 3 hours long not because there's a lot of material to cover but because the levels are huge with a bunch of interspersed cut scenes to advance the story.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 26, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

I just started playing Realms of Arkania, it looks great and all but how do I light up torches? I'm betting it's really simple and once I see how it works I'll hate myself for not figuring it out, but I just started the game and it's way too early to quit on it.

Torches and lanterns don't light automatically. You need a tinder box to light them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

Yeah I figured that much out by skimming over the manual and such. Now, let's say I'm in a dungeon, the first character in my party has a tinderbox and a torch. What do I do with them to make the loving place light up?

Make sure the torch/lantern and tinderbox are in the same character's inventory. Click on the lantern, right click to open the menu, click on "use." Viola.

I'm 99% positive you right clicked on the item's picture and tried to use it. I did the same thing too. You have to select items first by clicking them or else when you click on "use" you'll get a "nothing happens" pop up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Theli posted:

Honestly, how good is Gothic 1?

Gothic 2 may be my favorite 3rd person RPG of all time, but I've never picked up the first because I always thought that it wouldn't stand up to 2 and I'd be disappointed.

I think I just need someone to really sell it to me.

If you liked Gothic 2 it is physically impossible not to like Gothic 1. I can't sell it to you any harder than that. In terms of how they play they're both practically the same game but Gothic 1's game world is smaller but the setting itself is cooler.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh no, not Commandos. I could never get into those games since it was basically a frustrating puzzle where you had to figure out exactly what the developers wanted you to do, and if you deviated at all, instant death. It wasn't fun back when it first came out, and I can't imagine it aged well.

Then again, I was 13 or so. Should I give this game a second chance?

You can shoot your way through Commandos by simply setting up a choke point and waiting for enemies do charge in a straight line. The fun in the game is executing your plan perfectly which does require trial and error but if you ever get frustrated understand that taking the action route isn't necessarily suicide.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a solid beginner's guide for the Realms of Arkania series? I made a party (after like 2 hours of rolling) with the help of some character creation guides, but then I got plunked down in the middle of a giant city with a billion houses and I have no idea what to do.

Head to market (right click to be automatically taken there) to stock up (don't forget blankets!), visit the taverns, listen to rumors, then explore the city until an event happens that begins the story quest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

It looks like it doesn't include Gothic 1 which is a jowood game :(.

Aaaaactually, Gothic 1 wasn't published by JoWood :nerd:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

I am so confused by Painkiller. I just finished the third level, apparently didnt unlock the card but i was like eh, whatever. I return to the level select screen, are all levels locked besides the very first one. :psyduck:

Never had that happen to me before. Reload an auto save or exit the current level back to the map screen and see if it fixes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

what's Advent Rising like? I know it's part of a failed trilogy

I found it enjoyable when it wasn't crashing or getting stuck in walls. The plot is kind of unique because it's established that humanity is a rare race and were once gods until they were hunted to near extinction. Midway through the game you develop some crazy broken god-like powers like limited teleportation and the game gets pretty fun with crazy battles involving dozens of aliens onscreen.

There's tons of potential for it to actually be a good game but... man, Majesco. I don't understand how they're still in business. Those guys are poison. Ironically, I don't think Psychonauts would have ended up on nearly every digital business model if it was published under any other company.