Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
To be fair, the BG and IWD games get rereleased fairly often. The problem is PS:T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://www.gog.com/en/page/dotemu_promo/

Robinson's Requiem!

Man, I remember playing that as a kid (after getting it in PC Gamer), not knowing what to do, dying lots, then using the cheat they gave you that provided you with every item but also made every single internal organ haemorrhage.

Good times.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blodskur posted:

"One very important deal for GOG.com is signed. Just a few more weeks to prepare its announcement and here we go ;-)" from w0rma's (one of the GOG.com guys) Twitter.

Please make this be Torment.

If it's Torment there might be a god.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Overwined posted:

Somehow I doubt the publishers they are making contracts with give a poo poo about that list. It's a nice thought, but practicality makes it pretty useless.

It does give the CD Projekt guys an indication of what sort of games people would like to see brought to GOG, though, which then gives them an idea of where to go to ask who for what.

Also, if it's Arcanum (I doubt it but you never know), I will be almost as happy as if it's Torment. Arcanum was loving awesome despite its flaws.

(gently caress your magic, I have guns. :colbert:)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I still have Arcanum boxed at home. It's a pretty drat good RPG.

I found my old boxed copy of BGII (to add to my DVD-case copy and the 4-in-1 Atari rerelease I already have), but I can't for the life of me remember where I put my Arcanum. I've still got the box, just not the discs. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

I found an arcanum LP in the archive if anyones intrested in having a look

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Arcanum/

God loving drat it I now crave Arcanum and I still can't find my discs or find a place to buy it for cheap ($30 minimum over here and it'd be stuck in French, and amazon.co.uk charges £8/$13 for shipping).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay whoever the gently caress brought up Arcanum I now hate you for making me spend $20 on the cheapest copy I could find (on the plus side it's the original boxed copy with Bible-sized manual and all, on the negative side I've just realised I should probably have bought the DVD rerelease due to not having to swap discs).

Edit: rt4 I hate you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sexual rickshaw posted:

Drog Black Tooth's unofficial patch removes the CD check from the game, so no loss.

Good to know, cheers.

I got that, plus the widescreen/highres patcher and a bunch of other stuff from terra-arcanum.com, but Tinkerer's Workshop is down for some reason so I can't find Krupp's tech rebalance to make them not suck compared to mages. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So I just bought Gothic 2; are there any mods or community patches or whatever that are absolute must-haves, or should I just play the game vanilla?

(Also, anyone got any character optimisation tips for G2 Gold?)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 5, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Downloading the Gothic II client now, anyone know if the game plays nice with widescreen monitors/modern resolutions or if it at least has a windowed mod?

Also, thanks for the tips, Brimruk. I played about half of Risen and found that pretty easy once I'd gotten the hang of dodging.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's hoping it's Planescape: Torment.

Or a rerelease of the MechWarrior games to drive up the hype for the new one.

Or Thief.

Or any of the other Infinity Engine games.

Or Deus Ex.

Or *insert wild speculation about critically-acclaimed masterpiece here*.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

You can get a new copy on ebay for 25-30$ Canadian. There was a reprint a few months back.

It's UK-only and £20/$30 for some absurd reason (as in, amazon.co.uk/GAME/etc. will not ship it outside the UK, though I'm sure you can find an import copy).

I doubt we'll get Torment because they probably want to milk that £20 pricepoint for as much as they can and nothing on GOG goes above £7.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AG3 posted:

I'm not sure if GoG did much with the Fallout games

They're patched to the latest version and decensored, IIRC.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MrBims posted:

Yeah, it is Arcanum. It fits too perfectly.

I'd be so loving pissed; I paid $20 for that a month ago.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hour left for me. I think it's going off of your PC's computer, for some daft reason. Poland is in CET, so if that's the timezone it's going off then it'll be announced in 52mn (at noon CET).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sankis posted:

$6 for Arcanum? Christ, that's amazing.

I paid $20 for it a month and a half ago, drat it. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Monochrome posted:

but if they're at all a hassle to get working on Vista

Arcanum isn't. It installs straight off the CDs and then runs fine, especially with the patches.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

They got loving Activision to sign a DRM-free deal.

Here's what's worth remembering:

GOG do all the support for the games that they sell. Abandonware makes no money for the IP-holders. Reprinting a game is expensive. Distributing in on GOG is literally free for the publisher.

The reason Activision got onboard is probably this: selling abandonware through GOG for $6/$10 allows them to re-monetise titles that would otherwise continue to be freely available online, as well as re-criminalise the downloading of said titles as abandonware. They're not doing it because they want to get in our good graces, and they're certainly not doing it because they believe in DRM-free games. They're doing it because they are getting money for free out of this, and legal grounds to assert their control over these old IPs should they ever be challenged. GOG takes the games and fixes it up, GOG distributes the games and pays for the bandwidth and GOG provides all support for the games.

The reason GOG managed to get them onboard is more likely than not exactly that: they offered Activision and absolutely golden opportunity in exchange for the minor inconvenience of having the games be distributed DRM-free (when they can probably be found online anyway) and for no more than $10 (again, you can probably find them online for free). Kotick may be an absolute oval office but he is in no way an idiot.

Now that Activision has acted on this, I'm sure the other megapublishers will realise that this is literally a win-win situation for them to put themselves in.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Overwined posted:

but the truth is that GoG isn't the only DD service and it isn't anywhere near the largest

Thing is, Steam, GamersGate, etc. all expect the publisher to provide support for their games, and have varying levels of quality control. GOG is the only DD service that takes on all support duties. GOG fixes the game so it runs on modern PCs. GOG patches the game. GOG deals with complaints.

Unlike releasing old titles on Steam, which would involve some work and hiring a support team, releasing old titles on GOG involves no work whatsoever by the publisher. GOG does everything. This is what's important.

In any case, totally agree with this:

Charles Martel posted:

I was pointing more to GOG who are going out on a limb for their customers, and they should be supported and gain more fans and support because of it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

I would kill for them to make a proper sequel :colbert:

It'd be nice if they could actually finish the first one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chunk posted:

Arcanum seems to be the kind of game that using the wrong build will screw you over. Can anyone recommend a fun build?

Install the tech fix from Terra Arcanum and you can play whatever you want.

Otherwise, don't bother playing tech, as it's vastly inferior to magic if you're playing out of the box.

If you're not playing tech, you'll definitely want Harm (the first Necromancy spell) - it's borderline broken (less so with the fix but still drat good).

Overwined posted:

So when you do level how much do you put points into skills and how much into attributes?

Stats are basically there as a limitation on skill. You raise them if and when you have to raise them in order to get the next blueprint or next mastery level, in my experience.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 1, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

glug posted:

I've looked all over, and I can't seem to find a valid download for Otto Krupp's Firearm mod.. the one that balances tech properly and makes it viable. Anyone know where that is currently hosted?

It's now part of Krupp's All In One: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/doa/krupp_aio_arcanumhackv1.zip

It took me a while to figure that out when I reinstalled, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Do you install this after the Unofficial Patch people linked to earlier in the thread?

Yes. The patch comes first (after the install, of course).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks

No worries.

I'm still pissed off that I shelled out $20 on what I thought was an original big-box copy two months ago, only to get a DVD-case copy instead and then find out that it's perfectly playable when, er, "acquired," and then find out that if I'd waited a bit I could have legally gotten it for a third of the price I paid. ¬_¬

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption

Oh loving hell yes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

He is asking for something that doesn't exist.

OH GOD SOMEONE EXPRESSED A WISH FOR SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T EXIST BUT WOULD MAKE THEIR LIFE CONVENIENT TO EXIST.

OH GOD WHAT CAN WE DO.

Seriously, why is this argument still going on?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just installed Red Faction Guerilla from D2D and it wouldn't let me install it wherever I wanted. Retarded.

I managed to install it on D: just fine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This seems more appropriate to be in the Steam thread.

Actually we could probably do with an indie games megathread these days.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Agreed.

Weedle posted:

i would bookmark that poo poo so fast

So theoretically speaking if someone were to make an indie games megathread which games should be featured in the OP?

Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread, but I figure I might as well lay the groundwork for keeping random indie games out of the GOG thread. ;)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I guess I'll get working on an OP for that indie gaming megathread tomorrow, then.

Ta.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FLX posted:

EDIT: V V V I thought that was freeware.

They made a high def remake a couple years back which they still charge for. If it's that and for $5.99 I'll be all over it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

It's the HUD of UT99 that mostly puts me off.

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't made a replacement HUD after 11 years.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Atari in April.

Well, whoever wanted Outcast a couple of pages ago got their wish. I missed it at the time and heard it was good, so I'm also looking forward to it.

In the same style, I hope they can get Omikron/Nomad Soul.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

What the hell is this anyway? It looks like some edutainment learning title.

It's an adventure game from a while back. Critically acclaimed, too, was Sokal's first game IIRC, came out a couple of years before Syberia and was done by the same studio.

Basically if you liked Syberia you'll like Amerzone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

There's a certain sense of ownership that GOG gives me that I don't have with Steam, and it goes beyond the little bookshelf they give you.

That's probably because you actually own the games you buy on GOG whereas Valve reserve the right to take away any or all of your Steam games at any time for any reason they fancy. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

I have no idea and it's retarded because 4E is the closest thing pen and paper can get to a video game. It would be like playing a turn based World of Warcraft or something.

It has nothing in common with WoW.

Anyway, even though it's a great idea, I think it's because 4E would be so easy to distil in video game form that Hasbro are staying away from licensing it. Even though 3.X was the worst system in the world ever and 4E is actually really good for D&D, some things never change (namely: Hasbro/WotC/TSR trying to sell as many supplements as possible). Since there's no more SRD for 4E and no part whatsoever of the game is "open source" (-ish), anyone who wants to make a game that has 4E anything has to license from Hasbro.

I imagine any fan attempt at making a 4E game would be instantly squished by their legal team, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

graventy posted:

You think so? It reeked of WoW-mimicry when I played. I'm surprised the game didn't come with an 'action bar' you could fill with your abilities.

Literally the only thing it has in common with WoW is the idea of levels, classes, dungeons and equipment, something which every other edition of D&D ever has had and which WoW took from D&D (via pretty much every CRPG that came before WoW).

Gridmaps aren't from WoW, ranges in squares aren't from WoW, powers that can be used once per combat (or regenerate whenever you rest) aren't from WoW, toned-down multiclassing isn't from WoW... Basically, absolutely nothing that distinguished 4E from 3.X (or OD&D or AD&D) is from WoW. There's no mana, no loot drop tables (something which was in AD&D, incidentally), no time-based cooldowns, no class-based gear or gear that boosts your stats or skill trees to put talent points in...

The only thing that you might convincingly argue was influenced by WoW in any way whatsoever is the official art, because for some reason GIANT PARUDULON seems to be in. Really, if you absolutely want to compare it to a video game, pick any TRPG - and even then, it'd still be miles away, because there are no TRPGs that use mechanics anything like 4E's AFAIK.

Know what 4E does resemble, though? Tabletop wargames.

Like every edition of D&D before it, but especially OD&D (to which 4E is closer than 3.X ever was).

e; VVV

Farquar posted:

This sounds awesome. I wish Troika was around to give it the Temple of Elemental Evil treatment.

It would probably work even better than ToEE too, except for the fact that 4E has no iconic adventure modules out yet that could be made into a CRPG (though Tomb of Horrors is being ported over and released sometime in the near future and although it was purposefully designed to be horrible it'd work very well with a CRPG because it's the player pitted against the DM/AI). That said, it's not going to happen for reasons mentioned a few posts up. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

graventy posted:

EVERYTHING had a time-based cooldown!

You know what I meant; abilities regen at the end of combat/the day, not every X rounds. :P

graventy posted:

I'll agree with you, though, WoW is a poor comparison. It just felt a ton more videogame-y than 3/3.5 did. We played it for a while, until every boss became an annoying HP sponge, and it became less about having fun and more about using the same two/three abilities over and over until they died. Which I suppose, is a probably GM problem not a system problem.

The videogaminess is neither bad nor good in itself but is a side-effect of the million and a half good changes that 4E made, so I'm not going to complain. HP sponges are a bit less of a problem since MM2 - that was bad design in MM1, by WotC's own admission.

As for using the same two/three abilities over and over again, aside from combat length making it more repetitive than it really is, I take it you were stuck in the 3.5 mentality of "if the rules don't say I can do it then I can't" (don't take it as an insult; almost everyone I know who tried 4E after playing 3.5 to the exclusion of all other systems was super confused by the narrativist elements 4E adopted)? Much like 3.5 and every edition of D&D ever, if combat just gets reduced to rolling dice, it sucks. You're meant to be using your skills and such to use the environment in interesting ways.

Also: for the first time in 10+ years of publishing D&D material, WotC have admitted that they're not always 100% right when it comes to balance and are releasing frequent errata to the 4E books based largely on feedback from the CO people.

If you get a chance to try 4E again with a DM who knows how to run 4E well, do so. You might be pleasantly surprised.

(And that's probably enough of an aside on roleplaying games. Sorry guys, I got a bit carried away.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I thought the open source FS2 project actually required some files from FS2 to run, and in fact the open source part is just the visual upgrade?

Or did I hallucinate that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

You need FS2 assets in order to play FS2 stuff. There are a bunch of free custom campaigns with user made content.

Is there any real point to buying FS2 then? Other than the FS2 plot itself being decent I guess.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Do I need a flight stick for Freespace 2, or can I just use the WASD + Mouse combo to control the game?

The controls are done so m+kb works, and they work very well.