Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

A few GOG games in a bundle this time. Is Wildfire any good? Apparently it's really hard, and I struggled a fair bit in JA2.

Also, if I haven't played any of the Earth games before, are any of them still playable?

I didn't like the original 2150 campaign but that's only because I hate time limits and play RTS's really, really, really slowly (its an extremely generous time limit, I just suck); did like the expansions though. However the original campaign does have the advantage of having to manage resources in more than just a build units/upgrades kind of way since you have to send back a certain amount of resources to your main base to complete construction of an evacuation ship. The expansions get rid of the time limit and overall resource management so there's not much to think about beyond each mission.

Haven't played Earth 2160 beyond a demo a while back that I don't recall anything about besides a bad impression. Was a long time ago.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Tron 2.0 coming to GOG with the fanpatch integrated needs to happen, because Tron 2.0 is probably Monolith's best game.

Cate Archer would like to have a word with you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My solution to SWAT 4 was to bring a beanbag shotgun and taser in every mission. Shoot first!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dud root posted:

Yeah the only way to score 100% on a level was not only zero casualties but also no injuries, friendly or enemy. With that in mind the game is became beanbag city.

This was especially fun to try to do when guns dropped by subjects occasionally clipped through the floor or scenery. Now that I think about it, didn't the SWAT4 expansion give you the option to bash people's faces in with your gun as an alternative between bringing a lethal weapon and less-lethal?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Even if you got suspects subdued they could still get up at any time, as long as they weren't hand-cuffed or somebody had their sights trimmed on them. Nothing like getting shot in the back because noone decided to keep an eye on that third terrorist/bank-robber/cultist. :v:

SWAT 4 is hella fun once you learn the crowd-control tricks but not very realistic.

SWAT4 just demands to play in co-op. I've played it with a single other person and found it a superior experience to playing it with the AI.

I think if SWAT4 was remade in the vein of Rainbow 6 Vegas, but obviously keeping the things that made you have to act like actual police, that would be a pretty fun SWAT game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At the very least I imagine GOG is going to be lobbying Gearbox pretty hard to get Homeworld onto there. Probably wouldn't be as big as System Shock 2, but it would be a major coup.

Actually, everything I've read about Homeworld only mentioned 1 and 2. What happened to Cataclysm? It was great.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bursk posted:

So with all the talk (both now and previously) about how Dreamfall is basically good story/bad game, would I likely have more fun just watching a playthrough of it on Youtube rather than actually playing it myself? I know this may sound kind of silly, but I watched like 30 mins of this playthrough here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z89kgAZKaR4 and really enjoyed it. If it's still fun to play and the stealth and combat bits are just a bit clumsy, then fine, but if it's frustrating to play for whatever reason, I guess I might as well just watch the vids on Youtube.

I don't think I'd describe any of the combat or stealth sections as hard. What they are are just really out of place, mechanically simple, serve absolutely no purpose other than an attempt at making Dreamfall a "game" in the meaning that most people would apply. At least I didn't think they were hard, but I'm one of those people who get through a lot of parts in game lots of people have trouble with then end up looking like a smug prick when I mention I didn't have many problems at all.

And this is just me, but I can't really get into a game through an LP the same way I can by playing it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

choobs posted:

I'll second all of these points. The first was really neat and had great atmosphere. The second had some great moments but, yeah, "video game-y" is a good description. You get a doggy sidekick off screen between games, there are a TON more "puzzles-for-the-sake-of-puzzles" than the previous game. That said, it also has a great atmosphere and supposedly Syberia 3 is coming out next year.

Just because I'm terribly anal about specifics, this isn't true. You free the youki from the brothers in the first village area and then it follows you afterwards.

I'd say the Syberia games are probably one of the better point and click adventures you could play. They're both wonderfully imaginative, filled with fantastic characters, terrific music, and a great sense of visual style. Just that they're still point and click adventures so that comes with all the caveats that usually comes with the genre. The second does lose some of the wonder that the first game has but it still has all the elements that made the first great.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, thank you.

I kinda impulse bought it, never heard of this game and never even played the original Divinity.

GoG reviews are very favorable, but then again, they always are.

It got a front page review on SA way back in 2010. If that helps. Dragon Knight Saga was its name before developers, Larian, re-released as "Director's Cut."

To throw my own opinion out there its basically a janky but delightful action RPG. Some of its mechanics (mostly when it comes to your character's skills) are a bit obtuse or unbalanced but I never encountered anything that halted my progress for long. The world and its characters just ooze out charm and creativity and there's a ton of secrets and lore to read.

If you end up liking it, Larian also have Divinity: Dragon Commander (a strategy game) coming out on GoG (and Steam, etc) soon and are currently working on Divinity: Original Sin, a turn-based isometric RPG.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

THE BAR posted:

H... How long have we had that emote?

I don't think its that old, only seen it popping up for a few weeks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

God, I wish games still had cool installation programs like the older Command & Conquer games and CD-Keys were still a thing, because it's way better than what we have now (compared to the real DRM poo poo we have to put up with in other places).

Another of the good ones was for Crimson Skies which is actually plot vital information. Though if you try to install Crimson Skies on a more modern hard drive (assuming you can even get the game running) the game will install and stop the voiceovers before its halfway done.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Cold War Assault is terrible. :(

My 17 year old self will fight you.

Seriously though, aside from the ridiculously complex and unfair later missions, I had a blast with the original Cold War Crisis, Red Hammer, and Resistance. They were certainly a lot better than the single player campaigns in the Arma games. I replayed the tank missions in all three games a ton, and the simpler/shorter infantry missions worked mostly well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Checkpoints are spread way too far apart or are completely nonexistent, so when I fail missions, I have to do a ridiculous amount of boring stuff over again. And I fail a lot, because I will get shot out of nowhere by the enemies with sniper-like precision, because I my inexperience with the game means I don't know what's expected of me and results in failures, or simply because the game bugs out.

Oh, but you can save. Meaning, you can save ONCE per mission, creating one extra, unmoveable checkpoint for yourself, which is only good if you know the mission in advance and know the best time to save.

The missions are really terrible too. I think my favorite one so far has been running aimlessly through the forest for 10 minutes, alone, to get to a castle while being chased by aimbots. When I made it to the castle, the script hosed up, so I had to do it all again.

It's just a lot of frustrating, boring bullshit and I hate it.

No, I get it. If I was just playing the original OFP for the first time now, I'd probably find it equally frustrating. Modern, well-designed games have ruined my ability to put up with silly bullshit :argh:

Nenonen posted:

Red Hammer was kinda shite, it was all a result of Codemasters wanting to cash in on OFP's success ASAP by putting an outsider team work on it. You'd think that it would have been simple enough to depict the CWC campaign from the red side, but RH did this in the most clichéd way imaginable - an ex-Spetsnaz soldier who gets wronged, switches sides and defeats the evil Commies almost all by himself, flying helicopters and driving tanks in the process. It's a one man's war.

Which is exactly why its awesome after all the tedious missions Cold War Crisis puts you through :colbert:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's more that ArmA2 is when the series completely stopped caring about SP - most of the MP communities that are around nowadays have been around since the OFP days, and it was just as great in MP, but I think Bohemia dropped SP for A2 because they realised how bad they were at it.

Which is a shame because a lot ofthe Arma 2 single player missions' set-up has really good potential let down by all the quirks their engine has and BI's scripting (at least for larger single player events). Several of the missions are basically open world. You're given a large chunk of the island as your "operating area," several tasks to accomplish, and sent on your way. But thanks to some bad design decisions (hidden time limits usually being chief among them) and the usual AI quirks it turns out frustrating more times than awesome.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Nope, not having any of it. I already uninstalled it and am going to find something worth playing.

Also firing your guns and ordering the tank to a location both use the same control, so I was unable to fire on enemies and was instead just driving up to them to say hi. So that was fun.

I guess its useless to say at this point, but assuming you were locking an enemy first, as long as you don't click on the ground you won't click-move, and if your cursor icon turns into an enclosed crosshair its defaulting to the "Fire" command. You could have also turned on "Manual Fire" through the action menu so you don't have to wait for your character to say "Fire" to actually fire.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

scamtank posted:

Also Startopia. Gotta have Startopia.

It's funny, I've never really been a huge fan those kinds of city management (I guess?) games but for some reason I can remember so much about Startopia incredibly clearly. I attribute this to the dreamy voice they got to be the tutorial giver.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Daler Mehndi posted:

How is Cognition? I don't really trust the GOG.com reviews. For comparison's sake, I enjoyed Resonance and the Blackwell games.

It's good. If you're really good at the puzzles you might find the episodes a bit short but otherwise solid all around. I occasionally got annoyed with the pretty basic and repeating animations in dialogue sections but other than that I really don't have much to complain about. It doesn't shy away from being pretty bloody with its serial killer theme either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

For SWAT 4 they'd have to come up with some sort of Gamespy replacement because the servers for that got shutdown about a year ago. You can still use Hamachi or Tunngle though.

Does it have direct IP connection or was that facilitated through GameSpy too? I was playing it with two friends a while ago and don't remember fumbling through anything related to GameSpy at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

synertia posted:

I trusted those guys and gave them a good chunk of change. Their updates and trailers have been nothing but promising. I am stoked for the new Tex Murphy.

It helps that they didn't only have the Kickstarter funds to work with; they had saved up about the same amount of money the Kickstarter raised them but didn't think it would be enough. Just having normal WASD movement and mouse control in the detectiving sections is going to be great, not to mention, you know, actually being able to tell what the pixels actually are.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like Sniper Elite :shobon:

It's janky in some places but I still think its better than its sequel when it comes to being an actual sniper rather than "super soldier who happens to carry a sniper rifle."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Sales like these, I really wish GOG would publish their numbers. Never gonna happen, but still.

It's never going to happen, but not for the reason you might be thinking of. GOG, like Steam, will never tell any one except the developer/publisher of the title itself how much a game sold. It's up to the person who has access to the data to reveal it. The tools GOG has aren't probably are thorough as Steam's but I have no doubt a publisher could tell you exactly how many copies of a game were sold on GOG if they wanted to. I know some indie developers on Steam have basically taken screenshots of the sales graph Valve provides.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blackwell is one of the best series of point and click adventure games, get it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Antti posted:

Yes. It's good on paper but it falls on its face in execution. The combat is supposed to be extremely janky, the UI is terrible and there's no depth to the game at all.

It has two stars on GOG which is pretty drat bad for that site.

A fair amount of those two stars are from GOG selling its DLC, because apparently selling DLC is just one step removed from 1 activation limit DRM or something and if you don't give away all extra content for free you're the worst developer ever because

Edit: Forgot to say that the game still isn't all that great, but its not fundamentally broken or anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't know why. I got the first couple episodes in a bundle and it's REALLY mediocre.

It's also front-loaded for content. The last two episodes also really reveal the low budget they had to work with. They used kickstarter way back in 2011 and got $34,000, they probably found other funds but that's still pretty low for how the end product turned out. 90% of episode 3 takes place in a just a few screens while episode 4 takes about an hour at most to finish. There's also a lesbian kiss between the protagonist and the antagonist left in during one of the motion comic cutscenes in the final episode because they wanted to create a "deeper" relationship between the two but had to cut it but left that scene in anyways because...?

Anyways, the deal is over but its still a okay adventure game. Mediocre, like you said, but I'd say it has enough in it to be worth a look for someone who likes point and clicks.

Also, Brutal Legend, remember that the multiplayer is done over Steam. The GOG version doesn't have multiplayer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kangra posted:

Grabbed a copy. I probably have at least some of the songs already -- that's an impressive amount of bands, too.

Given that it has Jack Black and is described as a driving game, does Heat Vision make an appearance?

It's not really a "Driving" driving game, you do drive a bitchin' hot rod around the game world but that's really just to listen to the music while looking at the landscapes, get to the next mission, or find collectibles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It happened because it was true to all David Cage games - there was a massive rewrite of the last third of the game at the last minute of production.

That's because Cage originally wrote that whole story to be told over a series of 10 episodes or something. This probably wouldn't have made the ending any less batshit of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Same thing's happening for me too. It's also not showing if you already own games when you bring up one of the bundle lists. On a different note, is Cognition any good?

For its budget Cognition actually turned out fairly well but overall just turns out okay. It looks fine, although the character animations are fairly simplistic and repeating, and the voice acting isn't off putting at the very least. It's story starts off strong but trails off toward the end when you can tell they reached the end of their budget and had to start axing large parts of the narrative; the first two episodes are about what you'd expect from an episodic adventure game, but the third episode largely takes place across the same five screens in the same location (although it does have a somewhat neat gimmick to go along with that) and the last episode takes all of an hour to complete.

All in all, its... good I guess? It's not the greatest adventure game you'll ever play but its a better serial killer point-and-click then Still Life.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kraxxukalf posted:

Got Costume Quest 80% off at $2.99. Worth it? Not really heard much about it, what does it compare to?

It's the lightest RPG you'll ever play, the only strategy I had to use throughout the main game and its included DLC was on its final boss, and that was ridiculous easy. For any one with any experience with turn-based RPG combat the game will live and die on the charms of its presentation.

Luckily I think its presentation holds up admirably. You might get a bit annoyed at the repetitious nature of the attack animations but, like I said, there really isn't a reason to mix things up all the time until you reach the final boss.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I keep getting stuff I already own on Steam or old consoles :argh:. Dammit GoG, why won't you be telepathic and know I already own these games?

There's an obvious solution to this problem. You know how you buy games on Steam that you already have a physical copy of just to "have it on Steam"? Well, buy something you already have on Steam on GOG so you can download it onto something and have physical copies all over again :buddy:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

double nine posted:

I rolled costume quest on my new games roll. Is it any good?

It's Baby's First RPG. I don't really mean that insultingly but it is very simple. You won't ever need to use any sort of strategy in combat except on bosses. If you aren't 10 years old your enjoyment of it will come purely on its other merits. The animations and effects in the fights are neat (though limited and repetitive if you stick with the same costumes, there's only a few attacks for each), I found the overworld sections fun enough to explore and solve simple puzzles and minigames (if a bit grindy trying to find all the macguffins), and the characters charming enough for kids (and evil wizards). The combat doesn't ever get in the way but its not the reason you'll play the game. According to Steam it took me 8 hours to beat both of the stories.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

double nine posted:

is there any writing in it and is it any good?

It's a children's story told through text speech, I'm not really sure if I could assign a label of "good" or "bad" or something to it. There's not a huge depth of dialogue here at all, much like the combat it is very simple (everyone gets along, there's no conflict, its a feel good story). Your twin brother/sister is kidnapped by an evil wizard and you have to save him/her with the help of your friends, other kids you meet along the way, and your magically transforming Halloween costumes (for example, cardboard giant robot, bedsheet State of Liberty).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

liquid courage posted:

Any thoughts on the Descent series? I want to fly around and shoot stuff.

If you also like massive, sprawling levels where its incredibly easy to get lost or turned around then you certainly get to fly around and shoot stuff in Descent. Though thats really the only mark I have against it, besides the unfair difficulty on harder modes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hogburto posted:

I just have to try Miasmata. :colbert: I don't know why.

You want to realize just how easy it is to get lost in the woods without a proper map and marked trails!

Seriously, if there was one thing I took away from Miasmata it was a new found respect for the natural forest. All it takes to get completely lost in Miasmata, if you aren't paying attention, is to walk just 20 feet in the wrong direction. Then you realize you did, turn around, and walk back 20 feet, only to figure out 30 feet later that you didn't turn quite 180 degrees and now you're even more lost and don't have any landmarks and oh god help.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Faraday Cage posted:

Just be aware that the deals are all bundles of the '75% off for everything or nothing off at all' variety.

Unless you already own games in the bundle, then the full discount still applies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah, System Shock 2 and I Have No Mouth were possibly the biggest non-LucasArts or MS titles left, and they were pretty drat big. There are still a ton of games out there that they could release, great ones and fondly remembered ones, but the hugely anticipated ones outside of those are pretty much all there now.

I'd like to see Konami and more of Capcom's titles go up, even though many of Capcom's PC ports and games were really uneven. But still: Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 1-3, Super SFII Turbo, Puzzle Fighter... okay, maybe it's not that extensive.

If they could get the PC version of Dance Dance Revolution with all the extra free DLC it had that'd be amazing. Not that it's a particularly great port- it's fine, nothing special- but the game itself is rather rare, and there were a ton of downloadable characters that are now lost to the mists of time since I'm an idiot who never backed them up and the site is long defunct, and no one cares enough to upload them.

I think a lot of the big ones left are tied up in legal loopholes or the right-holders just aren't interested. Take Homeworld, which recently got bought by Gearbox. THQ had the full ability to release that on GoG, and probably Steam, with minimal hassle. They probably wouldn't even need to do the reworking of the engine that Gearbox is doing because all it takes for even the original to run fine is a registry tweak (for widescreen resolutions) and running the game in Software display mode. But they didn't do any of that because they decided to concentrate on "core" titles and a decade plus old RTS doesn't fit in with that.

SWAT 4 with intact multiplayer backend, even just direct IP connections, could be massive. Good luck convincing Activision or Vivendi or whoever owns the rights now of that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I don't know why they don't have SWAT 4 already. I have it retail but I can't get the expansion pack anywhere. Is a day 1 purchase for me like SWAT 3.

Unless there's some specific rights issue with SWAT 4 it seems like there shouldn't be anything preventing it. If you can believe Wikipedia, Activision has full rights to the series but I suppose Vivendi may hold part of it as well. Maybe Activision just considers it too "new" to release on a DRM free platform.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is this the only series of sale they're having or will it reset back to the 80's and go through again with different games? It would seem silly to me to only have the one run-through of titles but then again this might just be a short experiment sale with this time addition/subtraction thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Keito posted:

I thought if you owned (almost?) all the games in a bundle you got the full discount even if you only picked one out from it. Maybe this is a different type of bundle from the old ones.

They have various type of bundles. The ones you're thinking of is a straight % off X number of games. This is a rolling discount where picking one game is 40% off, two games are 45%, three games are 51%, and upwards to 80% for all of them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly, if regional pricing is something that allows GOG to sell bigger games with no DRM I can make that trade-off. I will say that there is a large chance I'd have a different opinion if I was living in the one of the regions that gets overcharged though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

macnbc posted:

Anyone recommend the Still Life games?

The first Still Life is okay. It's nothing amazing and probably not worth picking up unless you really, really want another adventure game but its pretty okay. Probably the best thing it has going is its characters which have a nice sense of grounding about them; one of the major puzzles involves just going to the main character's father's home and just dealing with a family thing. Again, nothing amazing but its not a bad adventure game.

It's sequel, however, is bad.

Edit: And Waking Mars is on sale and everyone should get that if they want a chill as hell (if a bit repetitive) space gardening game with a lot higher production values (including pretty good voice acting for all the characters) than you'd expect.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

You know, I am sort of tempted to do this...
http://www.gog.com/game/tesla_effect_a_tex_murphy_adventure

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I know very little about it, though, but this is the kind of thing I'd be happy to support if it's anything like the old classics...

I can't imagine they're going to change up the formula much. As far as I can tell from the kickstarter backer updates and the few videos/trailers they've released its basically a better looking version of the older games. The trailers have concentrated on the FMV cutscenes but the biggest change will probably be just WASD and mouse-look to get around in the investigation bits.